weekly Lizzy23's 52 thats me i made it 1/2 way, won't get to the end

'Magical' - I agree spring is magical for me. I love the fresh air and rejuvenation and anticipation of the year. Lams skipping in the green fields and daffodils and snowdrops. No 1 for me I like the depth of flied and vibrant colours - nice work!

Having been there this evening these appeal more to me now...(y)

I'd like to see the colours of #1 in #2. I do like #2, the branches are an issue, but I guess there couldn't be removed :D Perhaps a bit lower and closer to the daffodils?

Cheers.

'Magical' - I agree spring is magical for me. I love the fresh air and rejuvenation and anticipation of the year. Lams skipping in the green fields and daffodils and snowdrops. No 1 for me I like the depth of flied and vibrant colours - nice work!

It is isn't it

Having been there this evening these appeal more to me now...(y)

I'd like to see the colours of #1 in #2. I do like #2, the branches are an issue, but I guess there couldn't be removed :D Perhaps a bit lower and closer to the daffodils?

Cheers.

Might try that before they've gone, i was sat on the bank, but i think if i'd have got any lower i may well have got mugged:LOL::LOL::LOL:

woods are magical for me so I completely get where you're coming from, I prefer no. 2 though

haven't forgotten about this, i do have a vice shot, but have had a scarily busy week, so will post tomorrow

Ok back on track now, last week was horrendous with one thing and another and i knew that vice would always be a snapshot, so here is my vice offering, taken with the compact last Saturday on a very enjoyable day on the real ale trail from Manchester back to Huddersfield and definately my vice for the day

DSCN2406 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

So to make up for last weeks lack of effort i got myself out of my bed this morning and took myself off to Bingley 5 Rise Locks for my entrance, and i have 3 for you

going up

Entrance 3 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Ten stopped and i'm still not thrilled with the Hi tech, love the grads but not the 10 stop

Entrance 2 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

and Going down

entrance 1 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Yeah number 2 deffo! Needs a tiny straighten, but other than that it's great.

Number 1 is a little "snapshotty" (technical term) for me, and number 3 doesn't say entrance at all IMHO, plus is a little too busy with people.

Vice, nice shot. You've made me thirsty now!

Vice
Hmmmmmmmmmmm yum yum, nice shot and on theme

Entrance
Like the number 2 shot, liking the mono very much.

Thanks

Yeah number 2 deffo! Needs a tiny straighten, but other than that it's great.

Number 1 is a little "snapshotty" (technical term) for me, and number 3 doesn't say entrance at all IMHO, plus is a little too busy with people.

Vice, nice shot. You've made me thirsty now!

Thanks, actually the more i look at number 2 the more its growing on me, at least i made an effort to get out, and had a really enjoyable cople of hrs

Magical - loving the first of the 2 daff's pics, lovely colour in it and love the composition.

Vice - now that's a vice shot if ever I've seen one ;)

Entrance - loving the mono shot (y)

Magical - loving the first of the 2 daff's pics, lovely colour in it and love the composition.

Vice - now that's a vice shot if ever I've seen one ;)

Entrance - loving the mono shot (y)

Thankyou

Liking number 2 with the 10 stop, what issues are you having with it, I have been considering getting one.

Thanks, Maybe its my processing skills, but i can't get rid of the colour cast if i leave them colour, heres an example, i just think its nasty

_MG_1997 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

if someone can do something with this and let me know how they've done it, i'd appreciate it, i used to get better results with a screw in one, which is where i may end up going back to, i've tried covering the eye piece i have the one specifically for the lee filter holder, so i ahve no idea where to go next

have you tried using a custom white balance?

I don't set any white balance, i just do it all in DPP afterwards on The raw file, and that is using the tune option to put it where i want it, am just really frustrated with it, yes it works great in Mono, but i just can't get it any better than that in colour:bang::bang::bang:

It might be worth trying the custom white balance, take a pic as normal with the filter on and take the custom white balance setting from that image and set it to that for your next shot, this should get rid of the colour cast.

Will give it a go, next time i use it

This uses the WB eye dropper in Lightroom, selecting a blue tinged area of the white post nearest the camera. Is this any better? Results would probably be better from the original raw file too, and LR4 even lets you apply selective WB to different parts of the image, though I didn't do that here.

7035744409_79363b7b39_b.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

This uses the WB eye dropper in Lightroom, selecting a blue tinged area of the white post nearest the camera. Is this any better? Results would probably be better from the original raw file too, and LR4 even lets you apply selective WB to different parts of the image, though I didn't do that here.

7035744409_79363b7b39_b.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Certainly looks better than mine, i really have to find somewhere that will show me how to use either LR or Photoshop, i've tried the tutorials on you tube and they just tie me in knots

Vice - I didn't think you drank Liz :LOL: On theme but you just clipped the bottom of the glass. Maybe the contents had blurred your vision :beer:

Entrance - The B&W version of #2 is my favourite but as you know I am a bit partial to a long exposure.

Vice - I didn't think you drank Liz :LOL: On theme but you just clipped the bottom of the glass. Maybe the contents had blurred your vision :beer:

Entrance - The B&W version of #2 is my favourite but as you know I am a bit partial to a long exposure.

Me Drink as if:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: we were about half way across when i took that so maybe you're right

Knew you'd like the long exposure

The long exposure B&W gets my vote Liz, I do like a good 10stopper photograph :D
Sorry i can't help with the colour cast issue, I tend to have my long exp photographs B&W for that very reason.

The long exposure B&W gets my vote Liz, I do like a good 10stopper photograph :D
Sorry i can't help with the colour cast issue, I tend to have my long exp photographs B&W for that very reason.

thanks at least its not just me:):)

Hi Liz, I'm tied between the 10 stop and the one showing the boat entering the lock!:)

I can't help with the colour balance though, maybe if you make a new thread about it someone might come along with some advice about how to correct it!!

No 2 for me
The mono works well and takes away any problems with the white balance using a 10 stop filter, your use of using the edge slabs as your lead in line works well and takes you strait to the theme, the shadows are just right and you can still see detail in the lock gate, the cascade of water running down adds to the shot. well done

Another vote for #2, like the mono conversion which adds to the water reflections and the 'slant' of the tree tops adds to the pic.

Hi Liz

Vice....is that a pint glass ?? Kinda like this shot...think it's the angle that gets me....shame about the slight clip but hey ...after a few of them I wuldn't even be able to focus :LOL:

Entrance...3 nice images but #2 for....LOVE IT :clap:

Hi Liz, I'm tied between the 10 stop and the one showing the boat entering the lock!:)

I can't help with the colour balance though, maybe if you make a new thread about it someone might come along with some advice about how to correct it!!

Thanks Sarah, will have to get to grips with the WB thing at a later date

No 2 for me
The mono works well and takes away any problems with the white balance using a 10 stop filter, your use of using the edge slabs as your lead in line works well and takes you strait to the theme, the shadows are just right and you can still see detail in the lock gate, the cascade of water running down adds to the shot. well done

Thanks

Another vote for #2, like the mono conversion which adds to the water reflections and the 'slant' of the tree tops adds to the pic.

thanks

Hi Liz

Vice....is that a pint glass ?? Kinda like this shot...think it's the angle that gets me....shame about the slight clip but hey ...after a few of them I wuldn't even be able to focus :LOL:

Entrance...3 nice images but #2 for....LOVE IT :clap:

Lynne, of course its a pint glass, brought up in Rotherham me:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: and yes shame about the clip, but i think i was feeling it a bit by then

Dear Fellow 52's i would just like to put a note on my thread, going forward i am happy for people to give me constructive crit and point out where i can improve, i am also more than happy for people to edit my photos should they feel the need to show me where i can make them better.

I won't break and i have broad shoulders, we are now 15 weeks in which is very nearly a quarter of the way, hang on in there and i'm sure we'll get to the end

Ok another one on firsts, i only generally take snaps of my nieces, which i was doing this afternoon and these two happened by accident, i really like the 1st one, technically its probably poo, but it does say soft to me,

Nothing softer than night night bear and a kiss from mum when your only 2 and you've hurt your foot

Soft 1 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Which leads me on to number 2, nothing softer than babies feet

Soft 2 by jalizcazan, on Flickr

I quite number one a lot, you can tell the little one has been crying and the reassurance and cuddle by the adult is lovely! The fact that you've got the kid looking at you too is brilliant.
It's also helped by the backlight on her hair which is great.

OK technically yes it could probably be a little sharper overall as it seems your focus is on the teddy but that's pretty minor I think.

There's a strange white mark on the right about half way down that could do with cloning out and I would also crop the bottom a tiny bit to get rid of that patterned cuff or bracelet.

I really do like it though and think that would be one I'd be happy to print.

Number 2, yes soft I think , but it's not anywhere near as good as the first shot in my opinion.

I quite number one a lot, you can tell the little one has been crying and the reassurance and cuddle by the adult is lovely! The fact that you've got the kid looking at you too is brilliant.
It's also helped by the backlight on her hair which is great.

OK technically yes it could probably be a little sharper overall as it seems your focus is on the teddy but that's pretty minor I think.

There's a strange white mark on the right about half way down that could do with cloning out and I would also crop the bottom a tiny bit to get rid of that patterned cuff or bracelet.

I really do like it though and think that would be one I'd be happy to print.

Number 2, yes soft I think , but it's not anywhere near as good as the first shot in my opinion.

Thanks Paul, think i have got rid of the Mark, and have cropped the bottom, does this work better?

Soft Edit by jalizcazan, on Flickr

Hi Liz, I met up with Nick this week to give him a few pointers in Lightroom / photoshop. Perhaps we could all meet up again at some point next te I am in Derbyshire?

I like the canal shots (& even your vice). As for critique, perhaps some are a bit busy, but that's working with the public for you - always getting in the way!

Hi Liz,

I have had a look at this for you and can't improve on the water although I have tried. Given that there is a brownish hue I was thinking this image may lend itself to a sepia effect. Now I don't normally like the sepia effect as the world wen't 'sepia mad' back in the 80s and there was a complete overkill of images everywhere you looked including modern images that didn't work.

However, I do think the old lock-keepers hot gate is a subject that works well in sepia and I have also cropped the shot a bit to reduce the water. I hope you like it, but like all images it's very subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that...

If you want me to take it down I will, It is also published on my Flicr account (but credited to you) to enable me to replicate it on here.

7056449513_e53db5ec72_b.jpg

Nick

Hi Liz, I met up with Nick this week to give him a few pointers in Lightroom / photoshop. Perhaps we could all meet up again at some point next te I am in Derbyshire?

I like the canal shots (& even your vice). As for critique, perhaps some are a bit busy, but that's working with the public for you - always getting in the way!

Thanks again Mandy, I did find it very useful and learned a lot. It would be nice if a few more people could make it.

I love the 1st shot, especially after you cloned out the hand/ring. I think the focus on the teddy is just right as it means the lil girl is oof and therefore softer which adds to the theme.

now the feet - I have to say (and I will try not to be rude!) that this shot needs lots 'more'. Perhaps the crop is too tight? Maybe seeing all of the feet would have been better. As they are they look a bit 'disembodied' with no point of reference - if that makes sense? And I think this one should be in colour :)

so, def. no. 1 for me which I can't fault :clap:

Back