weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Hi DK. Another good idea for vice. Good DOF and composition. I think I prefer the colour version but I'd say in both (especially the B& W version) kthe 'powder' looks a little grey! Maybe a tweak needed to sort that.
Cheers Marsha :)

It is a bit too grey yes... I should of used baking powder instead of flour, i didn't think it would look so grainy :D

Hi DK,

Thanks very much for posting the B&W version, I've just been jumping back & forward between the B&W and coloured version on your flickr page and the B&W shot is the one for me love it :D

Carol

'Vice' - Great interoperation of this weeks theme. I prefer the colour version. it's really interesting to see how everyones opinion varies. Nice work.

Hi DK,

Thanks very much for posting the B&W version, I've just been jumping back & forward between the B&W and coloured version on your flickr page and the B&W shot is the one for me love it :D

Carol
Your welcome Carol... and Thank you for your time comparing the 2... that just helps to prove your as nuts as the rest of us :D

'Vice' - Great interoperation of this weeks theme. I prefer the colour version. it's really interesting to see how everyones opinion varies. Nice work.
Cheers Nick :)

I too love seeing others interpretations... all so varying !!!

Last edited:
Hi DK

A cracking image for Entrance....it is said that "the eye's are the window to the soul " ( window is an entrance....especially if your a burglar :LOL: ) & you've caught windows as catch lights so 2 for the theme & focus is spot on (y)

I really can't find anything to crit on this image...love the smooth skin , the symetry...
only minor nitpick is the mascara ( apologies to your model :eek: )right eye lower lash bent to the right , left eye slight miss with the eyeliner as can see eyeshadow peeking through & slight clumping on the outer top lash's......you can probably tell I'm having to work real hard to find any iffy bits.....

It reminds me a lot of some pictures I have from Athena ( showing my age here)

Really great image & hope your model doesn't get huffy me :)

Vice is hard hitting and love the thinking behind Entrance. ;)

HI DK,

What a great image, I like this one alot, like the reflection too...and I'm not going to ask for a b&w version this time as the colour is great, especially if viewed in black on your flickr page....someone has beautiful eyes. In the spirit of honest critique my only suggestion would be to leave slighly more room at the top of the crop, just a mm or two to get the full effect of those eyelashes on the RHS.

Carol

Lastminutedotcom Dean, that should be your signature :LOL:
To your entrance image, I like the thinking behind this. It was so easy to go with a literal take on this but you've avoided this with a bit of creative lateral thinking :clap:
Lovely eyes on your model but I think the crop is a little too tight to show them properly. I feel the inclusion of the eyebrows would frame the eyes better and give a little more room to the photograph.
Technically perfect, sharp and well lit, I particularly like the reflection in the eyes. Good work Dean.

Entrance
Great thinking and a great shot.
Like the crop, eyes are bang on focus.
Hey Darren... Thanks mate :)

Hi DK

A cracking image for Entrance....it is said that "the eye's are the window to the soul " ( window is an entrance....especially if your a burglar :LOL: ) & you've caught windows as catch lights so 2 for the theme & focus is spot on (y)
Hi Lynne... Entrance was close then :LOL:

I really can't find anything to crit on this image...love the smooth skin , the symetry...
only minor nitpick is the mascara ( apologies to your model :eek: )right eye lower lash bent to the right , left eye slight miss with the eyeliner as can see eyeshadow peeking through & slight clumping on the outer top lash's......you can probably tell I'm having to work real hard to find any iffy bits.....

It reminds me a lot of some pictures I have from Athena ( showing my age here)

Really great image & hope your model doesn't get huffy me :)
Thanks for the detailed comment :) my daughter really won't mind at all, that's very complimentary :D

Vice is hard hitting and love the thinking behind Entrance. ;)
Cheers Alby :)

HI DK,

What a great image, I like this one alot, like the reflection too...and I'm not going to ask for a b&w version this time as the colour is great, especially if viewed in black on your flickr page....someone has beautiful eyes. In the spirit of honest critique my only suggestion would be to leave slighly more room at the top of the crop, just a mm or two to get the full effect of those eyelashes on the RHS.

Carol
Hi Carol... Thanks for the compliment :)

Good suggestion too, I knew somebody would mention it :D I tried as much as I could, I did a bit more and her eyebrows kept creeping in too much

Lastminutedotcom Dean, that should be your signature :LOL:
Shhhhh :D

Iain said:
To your entrance image, I like the thinking behind this. It was so easy to go with a literal take on this but you've avoided this with a bit of creative lateral thinking :clap:
Lovely eyes on your model but I think the crop is a little too tight to show them properly. I feel the inclusion of the eyebrows would frame the eyes better and give a little more room to the photograph.
Technically perfect, sharp and well lit, I particularly like the reflection in the eyes. Good work Dean.
Cheers Iain, nice of you to say :)

I'll add the Shot 'With Brows' in a few mins :)

Hi DK,

Clever thinking, for me without the brows. #1 just draws you into the eyes. great focus...

Definitely 'with brows' gets my vote Dean, what is your preference as the author?

Hi DK,

Clever thinking, for me without the brows. #1 just draws you into the eyes. great focus...
Hi Neil... thanks, For me that was my opinion :)

Definitely 'with brows' gets my vote Dean, what is your preference as the author?
OOooooo Ian, you bugger.. got me thinking now :LOL:

I'll post a side to side for comparing :thinking:

What lovely eyes! You've captured them well without capturing yourself in the reflections(y)

I prefer without brows! I'm certainly not implying that your daughters eye brows are bushy or anything because they're not, but as you can't see her full face her eye brows look a little heavy for me!

'Entrance'

right eye lower lash bent to the right , left eye slight miss with the eyeliner as can see eyeshadow peeking through & slight clumping on the outer top lash's..

Only a women would spot this LOL (Appoligies Lynne :)) I think this is a great image and bang-on theme. Really nice focus and tones. Top work DK (y)

Nick

What lovely eyes! You've captured them well without capturing yourself in the reflections(y)

I prefer without brows! I'm certainly not implying that your daughters eye brows are bushy or anything because they're not, but as you can't see her full face her eye brows look a little heavy for me!
Thanks Marsha :)

I know what you mean, with the eyes only your eyes go straight to hers

'Entrance'

Only a women would spot this LOL (Appoligies Lynne :)) I think this is a great image and bang-on theme. Really nice focus and tones. Top work DK (y)

Nick
Cheers Nick... your not wrong there :LOL:

with brows for me but it does seem in my head anyway to be someone looking through a letter box letter box

Without eyebrows for me; she just looks surprised with, and I think your attention is taken away from the eyes! Without she looks mysterious, sexy, etc etc etc :)

I like that, a very tricky subject and you seem to have done very well, out of the 2 version, I prefer with the eye brows.
Thanks Michael :)

with brows for me but it does seem in my head anyway to be someone looking through a letter box letter box
Hey Allan... It sure does doesn't it :D

Without eyebrows for me; she just looks surprised with, and I think your attention is taken away from the eyes! Without she looks mysterious, sexy, etc etc etc :)
Cheers Mark :)

Isn't it amazing how tastes differ with this one :)

Hoping to get my 'Soft' done tomorrow evening if things go to plan.... i'd be up to date :LOL:

Hi DK

Vice - colour one preferred. Good composition, good story telling and spot on theme. Hard to fault

Entrance - another eye shot only a pair this time. As I have said on the other thread, a really clever take on the theme. I like the idea of the eyes being an entrance for light into our senses. Good skin tones and the right amount of contrast between the various elements. Good crop. I prefer withut the brows as i think that this illustrates the theme better.

Soft - maybe a touch more in focus but good neutral background , good skin tones ( green lipstick?:eek:) Well captured colour in the candy floss. Good work.

Hi DK

Entrance the one with the brows gets my vote, theres nothing really to crit on that one.

Soft - bang on theme, i would have liked to see the mouth in focus as well, and to be honest i find that green lippy a bit distracting, but thats just me

Nice photo. I wondered about the focus to start with, but it's growing on me; it's the candy floss that's soft, not the face.

LOVE the green lipstick; off out to buy Mandy some of that!

Hi DK

Vice - colour one preferred. Good composition, good story telling and spot on theme. Hard to fault
Cheers Alan :)

Alan said:
Entrance - another eye shot only a pair this time. As I have said on the other thread, a really clever take on the theme. I like the idea of the eyes being an entrance for light into our senses. Good skin tones and the right amount of contrast between the various elements. Good crop. I prefer withut the brows as i think that this illustrates the theme better.[\Quote]Great in-depth comments... Really Appreciated (y)

Alan Again..... said:
Soft - maybe a touch more in focus but good neutral background , good skin tones ( green lipstick?:eek:) Well captured colour in the candy floss. Good work.
I was hoping for some interest in the lippy :LOL:

Hi DK

Entrance the one with the brows gets my vote, theres nothing really to crit on that one.

Soft - bang on theme, i would have liked to see the mouth in focus as well, and to be honest i find that green lippy a bit distracting, but thats just me
Hi Liz... Thanks :)

I went for OOF lips so that the object of the theme, the Candy Floss, was the main center of view :)

Soft is good, I like the focus and the green lippy, something "alternative" and sexy about it.
Cheers Paul... that certainly was the plan... I thought Red lippy would of been too expected :D

Like it. The green lipstick is interesting and adds to the pic I think.
Nice One.. Thanks Michael :)

Nice photo. I wondered about the focus to start with, but it's growing on me; it's the candy floss that's soft, not the face.

LOVE the green lipstick; off out to buy Mandy some of that!
Yay.. got my thoughts totally there mate.... Thanks Mark (y)

Right... off to finish doing the pond and Chooks... then back in to comment on others - Cheers All :)

Back