weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

Love vice and soft - although they are different shots - they both offer us an understanding of how you compose and execute your photography. You've cut back the clutter in both and known use to hard light for vice and soft light for soft! Simplz - thanks Mandy

Edit - I've subscribed so not miss your future submissions

thanks for the comments everyone :) :)

now then, my models let me down - so I gave in and did an 'emergency' shot

not happy, but these things happen - I might revisit later on

week 16 - pride by moominmama, on Flickr

if I'd had the resources the image I really wanted to create was a scruffy looking older gentleman standing proudly with his arms folded in a 1970's decorated room with his collection proudly displayed beside him (collection of anything). I have the image in my head, but no idea how to implement it :(

my 2nd choice was a proud football fan with his face painted to match his team colours - footie fans are surprisingly shy when it comes to it!!

Last edited:
Great shot Summer! It's obviously light painting of some sort, but how exactly did you do it? It's very neatly written.

Can't fault it!

thanks guys, my hubby got me a table-top studio for my birthday so I was playing with it - the light is drawn using a high intensity LED - just the LED and batteries (I took a torch to bits lol)

I have no idea why I got 'back reflections' :thinking:

Well, as you said on the main thread, I was loitering and so took the chance to look at this.:D

I think that the shot is excellent. Good use of technique. Nice colours, nice composition of letters. I presume that you shot it straight on and yet the back reflections give it depth and a perspective and make it look as if you took it from the right at an angle. Clever.(y)

I wonder if the reflection was internal reflection in the LED?

Hi summer I like soft about your picture your dog it would be nice to see his eyes ,really nice tones and textures.

Pride-I like the light painting,the shot the black id really black the lights really like so worked well for me. Nice work. Nick

I set up the camera on a tripod pointing to the Bg and focussed on the LED then used bulb and 'drew' the words in the air in the spot where I'd focussed. You have to use your mind's eye to work out where the words go though :LOL:

two in one day - must be a record

this was easy for me as I'm only 5'2"

my hubby hung this mirror :LOL:

week 17 Short by moominmama, on Flickr

thank-you,

twas was quite a comedy doing it - because I had to put the tripod on max reach I had to stand on a box to look through the viewfinder! :LOL:

Brilliant...brilliant...brilliant :clap:

Cracking idea and well executed.

Only, minor, comment, I'd like to see a bit of a raised eyebrow from you.

Cheers....(y)

I tried it without the hat but it looked better with, so no eyebrows I'm afraid

Hi Summer,

I'm playing catch up with your thread, and I like your ideas(y)

It took me a wee while to twig where the magic was in your shot...then I spotted the fairy and read your post about catching the fairy flying off...it's a lovely shot, my only little niggle is that I'd like to see the whole fairy in the frame....but fairies are camera shy aren't they?

Vice, excellent shot...can say no more than that, I love it:)

Entrance, I like the b&w it has a nice atmosphere.

Soft, lovely texture in this shot and I did wonder how it would look in mono but then changed my mind, I think the colour adds to the softness.

Pride, not tried this but I reckon it's a lot harder than you make it look...well done(y)

Short, love it...and it made me chuckle too,

Carol

# Pride - good light painting, like it when the colours are so defined and there is a nice black bg.

#Short - not meant to be commenting on these yet but I think this one is fab! Brilliant idea!

You have been a busy wee photographer haven't you Summer? :D

I like your lightpainting photograph, nice bold colour, reminds me of a neon sign. Do you have a filter on your lens? The reflections could be down to that if you have.

Short, brilliant :LOL:
The hat adds to the comic effect, its bang on theme (y) Iain

Excellent short shot and one my wife knows only too well also. :D

thanks guys

No filter Iain, I think it must be from the LED, it was a 'bare' LED

Soft – On theme. I like the transition from dark to light coloured hairs

Pride – You did well to get the letters lining up

Short – Brilliant. It definitely made me smile. Great personal take on a theme

hi Summer....cracking take on the theme for Short , made me giggle :clap:

C'mon , obviously I'm being a bit dim here but how did you lose the camera in the reflection ? I'm guessing at cloning but can you spill the beans...pretty please :)

simples, both the camera and me were at an angle - I set the camera up and focussed it making sure it wasn't reflected, then I stood to one side looking in the mirror until the reflection of the camera was in the centre of the mirror and snapped it with a remote. I couldn't see me in the mirror at all. Give it a go :)

thanks guys, looking forward to this week's now

Pride, what a good idea and the reflection even if not intended makes the shot.
Short, well interpreted and executed.

thanks Michael :)

Back