weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Pride is spot on, i like this a lot, again i'm not a fan of selective colouring but i do feel that it works well in this case

loving both soft and pride :clap:

Soft - like the angle of shot with staring at you eyes, just a shame about the uneven background lighting.
Pride - bang on theme, steps a bit over-exposed losing detail. Maybe you can reduce this in PP and masking the wreath

Lovely images of your cat. I like the depth of field and the focus on the eyes. Like the way that he's nestling on soft cover lovely lighting too. Nice work. Nick

Thank you very much everyone. All your replies are greatly appreciated.

Week 16 Short.

I really struggled a lot to get a picture this week. The best idea I could come up with was Short straw. Off camera flash on a stand, direct from above. Then converted to black & white.

I hope I'm forgiven for a weak shot.

Week 17 Short by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

looks good in mono, love the way the top hand is fading into the BG - my only -ve would be the shine on the skin - your models could try talc or face powder to eliminate this, or maybe wear gloves, good shot tho :clap:

Good take on theme. Echo Summer's comment about shine. Fingers lost in shadow but does not detract from the theme. All a question of getting a happy medium to the lighting.

Hi Robert, just visiting here for the first time, sorry it's taken me a while!

Secure, lovely shot.

Magical, great PP.

Vice, I like the DOF here. The colourful pills really stand out.

Entrance is superb, the road really draws the eye and lovely symmetry. You should go back when there is a better sky.

Soft, lovely cat, nice focus on rather sleepy looking eyes.

Pride, says it all really. I like the SC here, it always works well in this situation.

Short. Like it, not the first short straw on here but a slightly different style. The B&W suits it.

I'll try and keep up from here on in!

Thanks everyone.

I didn't know there was another short straw. But I try not to check others before I do my photo.

Robert like your version of short straw i like the way the other hand seems to be coming out of the dark to take the straw, its already been said about the shine

Hi Robert

Like the B&W for this & certainly on theme ,I quite like the shadows on the fingers (y)

Hi Robert, great minds think alike!!:LOL::LOL:

I like the lighting on yours it reminds of a magic pic but with the straws being replaced by cards. The black and white suits the feel as well!!

Nice use of B&W and the shine doesn't bother me either. I would have liked to have seen a little more light in the hard shadow areas e.g. bottom right.

I like that shot for short. Agree re the shine, but I think the B&W and the composition work extremely well. Love it!

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments.

Week 18 Flight.

I had a couple of ideas that fell on their arse when I tried to implement them. So in a last gasp effort to get a picture I went down to a spot where there's a few birds about. I took a lot of shots and there was a lot of blurred and OOF pictures. After about an hour I hoped I had a picture I could use.

I did a bit of a clean up with PS

Best of a bad lot I think. :cautious:

flight-253a-sm by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

I tried shooting gulls a while ago, and couldn't believe how hard it was to focus, so think you've done extremely well. Nice close, well composed and well exposed photograph :)

Last edited:
Hi, I quite like short. Nice contrast and composition. I especially like the top hand, seems to be coming from the void.

Flight, not an easy one, I suspect. Did you pan to get this one?

Cheers.

Hi Robert

Short - I like the lighting on that shot, and an unusual idea, good one !!!

Flight - Well caught that man !!! Nice composition of the bird flying into the frame, I like the background, and the motion blur in the wings adds to the shot nicely - Great Shot !!!

Well done Robert (y)
Good composition with the bird flying into the frame, lots of detail in the feathers, I like the motion in the wings too. A little soft but I suspect you've cropped this a little so softness might be expected. Takes nothing away from a lovely photograph. Iain

Hi Robert

Short - I like the mysterious atmosphere that you have created with the lighting and the focus. It makes me feel as if there is really something im;portant riding on the outcome of the draw. Good shot

Flight - really hard to get birds in flight in focus. You seem to have got the legs ok :D But good crop with the space for the bird to fly into and nice subtle colours

Hi Robert

thats sure a building for Authority , skies can be a pain but you've got a little bit of detail back . Hate myself for this but the verticals must have been a nightmare...not sure if can change them much in ps but the LHS is seriously leaning whilst the RHS looks almost straight...not sure what could be done :thinking:

Thanks Lynne. Appreciate your post. It is a bit of a mess isn't it?

It shows I rushed it. I'm getting seriously bad here at my time management and things have been getting on top of me and so I've not been as attentive as I should have done.

If you have an image with more room at either side of the building Robert, the converging verticals are easy fixed in pp. It is just that you need space around it otherwise it will crop the sides off the building.
I like this image, there is a lot of detail in there, it looks an imposing building which with a moody sky behind it would look even more imposing. Definitely one worth a revisit when the weather is kinder to you.
Its on theme, on time so the objectives have been met.
I didnt find this theme particularly inspiring either.
Iain

Hi Robert, I agree with Lynne about the leaning LHS. I've just googled how to straighten converging verticals, it looks simple but I bet it messes something else up in the image:thinking: Here's the link if you want to try it.

I'm not too keen on the sky, it looks a little 'dirty' as opposed to detailed! I have tried fixing blown out flat sky in some of mine too and just given up in the end as I always make it look like it's been dusted for finger prints:bonk:

It is a great building though, and definitely one to consider for a reshoot when you have a lovely blue sky or moody clouds.

'Authority' - Don't beat your self up over it. It's not that bad, when the sky is all blown often monochrome is the way to go. Certainly bank on theme. I like the colour in the copper topped domes.

Nick

Flight, a very tricky subject, and you've pulled it off well... gulls in flight are hard.

Authority, it fits the theme, and I like the image

Thanks Lynne. Appreciate your post. It is a bit of a mess isn't it?

It shows I rushed it. I'm getting seriously bad here at my time management and things have been getting on top of me and so I've not been as attentive as I should have done.

Hi ya

not a mess at all...just bloomin verticals are a mare . Think Iain hit the nail on the head with using a wider image...I tried to straighten it in pp but cropped too much off....a wider shot would work for sure.... but on the + side you've noted the slight error & next time it'll be spot on...I've also learnt that just from Iains post (y)

Back