weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Hey DK catch up time....

Magical - cracking shot.....love it.

Vice - just superb, bang on theme, great dof (y)

Entrance - great take on the theme, and nice crisp shot on the eyes too, definitely with brows too.

Soft - again bang on theme, as others have said maybe a bit more focus round the mouth too. Colours great on this too.

Hi DK,

Vice, very striking image and brave of you to photograph,controversial but bang on theme.

Entrance, Really liking this one, eyes are nice and clear and detailed, something I've been struggling with.

Soft, candy floss, soft and fluffy, bang on theme but the green lippy on the model really puts me off, if it was pink however?

Matt

Hey DK catch up time....

Magical - cracking shot.....love it.

Vice - just superb, bang on theme, great dof (y)

Entrance - great take on the theme, and nice crisp shot on the eyes too, definitely with brows too.

Soft - again bang on theme, as others have said maybe a bit more focus round the mouth too. Colours great on this too.
Cheers Simon for the comments... Appreciated :)

Hi DK,

Vice, very striking image and brave of you to photograph,controversial but bang on theme.

Entrance, Really liking this one, eyes are nice and clear and detailed, something I've been struggling with.

Soft, candy floss, soft and fluffy, bang on theme but the green lippy on the model really puts me off, if it was pink however?

Matt
Hi Matt

Thanks for the comments.... I never had you down as a Pink Lippy guy :D

Hi DK,

Candy floss!!...very soft:)

as for photo, works really well...the focus is on the floss(the soft)..as for green lippy...nothing wrong with that!!

Hi ya

Soft......candyfloss...oh yes...focus...oh yes...DOF ...oh yes....GREEN LIPPY.....no no no....pink or maybe red but not GREEN:LOL:

I for one like the green lippy it’s a great contrast from the pink candy floss I think the DOF is spot on I don’t think you need to see any of the lips in focus, lovely background too.
Only distracting thing for me is the stud below her lip.

Hi DK,

Candy floss!!...very soft:)

as for photo, works really well...the focus is on the floss(the soft)..as for green lippy...nothing wrong with that!!
Hi Neil

Cheers buddy :)

Hi ya

Soft......candyfloss...oh yes...focus...oh yes...DOF ...oh yes....GREEN LIPPY.....no no no....pink or maybe red but not GREEN:LOL:
Hey :)

Thanks Lynne... I still love the green lippy Hahahaaaaa :p

I for one like the green lippy it’s a great contrast from the pink candy floss I think the DOF is spot on I don’t think you need to see any of the lips in focus, lovely background too.
Only distracting thing for me is the stud below her lip.
Thanks Trevor... your the first to point that one out :D

She did have a rounder one in at first, but it looked too undistinguishable in the shots, so I got her to switch it for a sharp pointy one to give a more contrasting look from the fluffy floss :)

Cheers again for popping by guys (y)

Wk16 - During a trek through the jungle of isles of Asda online, I spotted these rare untamed creatures... a roarsome 'Pride' of Lions bars ;)

Still struggling with subjects like this... hopefully i'll get there one day

_MG_2792-Edit-Edit by TP DK..., on Flickr

Very clever take on the theme, I like your thinking(y) I like the composition too.

Delta Skies said:
although it looks a little strange around the wrappers in the gap between them and the chocolate

I think the problem here is they look like they've been pasted in from another shot, but only in this small area, which is odd!

I like the bar chopped in half but I'm thinking the chocolate colour isn't quite right, maybe a touch too light? But I'm looking in my phone so could be wrong!!!

Now feel free to send me any bars you can't eat:)

I like it the left hand side needs the whole wrapper and yes its a bit light if you know what I mean. Hope you ate them all in one sitting I would have.

Hi DK

Asda can be a bit like a jungle sometimes :LOL:

Neat idea & well set out (y) think someone else mentioned getting all the bars in shot & the strange effect around the ends of the wrappers ?
Like the slight reflection as well...long time since I had a lion bar but from memory the chocolate was quite light anyway.....:)

I like this take on the theme. It's nicely lit although it looks a little strange around the wrappers in the gap between them and the chocolate
Hi Peter... cheers mate, Don't know what you mean about the bit in-between :whistle: :D

Very clever take on the theme, I like your thinking(y) I like the composition too.

I think the problem here is they look like they've been pasted in from another shot, but only in this small area, which is odd!

I like the bar chopped in half but I'm thinking the chocolate colour isn't quite right, maybe a touch too light? But I'm looking in my phone so could be wrong!!!

Now feel free to send me any bars you can't eat:)
Hahaaaa Thanks Marsha, but Chocolate doesn't last long in this hose :LOL:

I'll have a bash at darkening the chocolate.. deeper Blacks??

You too about the small area... I sense a conspiracy :cautious:

I like it the left hand side needs the whole wrapper and yes its a bit light if you know what I mean. Hope you ate them all in one sitting I would have.
Hey Allan... yep all gone :naughty: the children and wife did help though :|

Whole wrapper.... think I had several of them, just not how I wanted the rest of the pic, tried sooooooo many combinations

Last edited:
Hi DK

Asda can be a bit like a jungle sometimes :LOL:

Neat idea & well set out (y) think someone else mentioned getting all the bars in shot & the strange effect around the ends of the wrappers ?
Like the slight reflection as well...long time since I had a lion bar but from memory the chocolate was quite light anyway.....:)
Hi Lynne

Well... Light chocolate, yes was quite light... much chewier than I remembered too, but very nomy :clap:

Full Wrapper... I'll see what I can dig up :geek:

Strange effect around the end of wrappers..... STRANGE EFFECT don't know what you all mean..... :shrug:

ok OK... you got me, it was a poor attempt to remove a deep shadow :D

It looked ok on my lappy that I did it on, been trying to set up my PC all weekend to do editing on as lappy just doesn't cut it... so I own up :help: :nuts:

Well here is the slightly edited version, the shadows didn't look too bad until I got them on my lappy, I took the photo's on the kitchen/breakfast table where there is natural light coming from 2 directions, if I had spotted I would have set up a reflector :doh:

There again... looks as though I got away with the removal of the R/H shadow :LOL:

'With Shadows' by TP DK..., on Flickr

#2 gets my vote Dean, #1 the bars look as if they are floating, I think the inclusion of the shadow 'grounds' them.
A creative take on the theme, I am sure a pride of real lions are a bit thin on the ground even in deepest darkest Norfolk ;)
(y) for you outside the box thinking. iain

Hi Dk..

yup #2, good idea. the shadows look better than #1...its definitely a jungle in ASDA!!!

'Pride' of lions - brilliant take on the theme DK love your choice of depth of field. Nice texture and lighting textures on the chocolate too. (y)

Nick

#2 gets my vote Dean, #1 the bars look as if they are floating, I think the inclusion of the shadow 'grounds' them.
A creative take on the theme, I am sure a pride of real lions are a bit thin on the ground even in deepest darkest Norfolk ;)
(y) for you outside the box thinking. iain
Hey Iain :)

They do look floaty in 1 don't they :D

Cheers mate

I can't believe you didn't share!

I prefer number two, the shadows add a bit more depth to the shot:)
I was going to save you one but thought better of it :LOL:

Thanks Marsha... I do now, at the time it made sense :thinking:

Hi Dk..

yup #2, good idea. the shadows look better than #1...its definitely a jungle in ASDA!!!
Thanks Neil :)

Sure have to be careful when in store... never know what's going to pop up around the next corner, could be friend or crazy trolley pushing foe !!!

'Pride' of lions - brilliant take on the theme DK love your choice of depth of field. Nice texture and lighting textures on the chocolate too. (y)

Nick
Hey Nick... thanks :)

Love it! A great interpretation of the theme that, both versions work well, but the shadow adds something.
Cheers Michael... I do try to be different :)

Right... got an hour to do some catch ups on others, I'm miles behind again :bang:

Well... been waiting all weekend for a break in the rain to get my pic, I had a small opportunity, took a few and well.... Soooo disappointing :(

So had a little play in PSE, first attempt at this type of image and I now dislike it even more :shake:

Wk17 - Short... The short tree dwarfed by the giant oak in my front garden

Wk17 - 'Short' by TP DK..., on Flickr

Come on then.... BRING IT :bat:

Now that's one MASSIVE oak tree, or it just makes the tree in front look really short;)

I like the idea and I think you've definitely got the scale spot on, it certainly fits the theme(y)

I'm just not sure the SC works here! Is that what you mean for 'this kind of image'? I'm assuming you've done it to make to short tree stand out? Perhaps (if the weather allows a reshoot) it would work better with a more shallow DOF on the short tree as opposed to SC:thinking:

Hi DK

great idea for Short & fits the theme.....for your 1st try at SC I think you've done really well with a difficult subject....very fiddly to get the leaves on the smaller tree all colored whislt not getting any sky or the bigger tree also colored (y)

Personally , though I have love SC'd images in general , I'm not so sure it works on this image:thinking: It looks like you may have had a half decent sky with some blue in it & some nice clouds , the bigger tree appears to bare of leaves so maybe , just maybe , this would have worked in color ? Maybe a little desaturation on the bigger tree just to make the smaller one stand out even more , as the flowers show off quite nicely that the front tree is indeed Short.....hope this makes sense ?

Now that's one MASSIVE oak tree, or it just makes the tree in front look really short;)

I like the idea and I think you've definitely got the scale spot on, it certainly fits the theme(y)
Cheers Marsha :)

I'm just not sure the SC works here! Is that what you mean for 'this kind of image'?
That is what I mean yes... first time doing SC, I have never been a big fan of seeing SC, now I have done some I like it even less :LOL:

I'm assuming you've done it to make to short tree stand out?
Yep

Perhaps (if the weather allows a reshoot) it would work better with a more shallow DOF on the short tree as opposed to SC:thinking:
Well I did catch a sudden bit of good sky, but I couldn't get any narrow DOF, as they are quite close together, I had my 15-85 wide open at f3.5 but no luck :(

Thanks for the in depth feedback, really appreciated :)

No problems.

Just curious but have you heard of/ tried to use tilt and shift? It's what I used on my lifeboat picture to blur the background and make the boat stand out! During my 3.5year olds insomniac cuddles last night I tried it with your photo on my phone app, I think it could work with the colour version of this shot.

Apparently you can do it in PSE linky

Love the pride shot & Short's a great idea.
Thanks Robert :)

Hi DK

great idea for Short & fits the theme.....for your 1st try at SC I think you've done really well with a difficult subject....very fiddly to get the leaves on the smaller tree all colored whislt not getting any sky or the bigger tree also colored (y)
Thanks Lynne :)

Personally , though I have love SC'd images in general , I'm not so sure it works on this image:thinking:
I agree... that's the trouble, seems I don't like SC much I am finding it hard to see it as successful - I just see it as 'Odd looking' (y)

It looks like you may have had a half decent sky with some blue in it & some nice clouds , the bigger tree appears to bare of leaves so maybe , just maybe , this would have worked in color ? Maybe a little desaturation on the bigger tree just to make the smaller one stand out even more , as the flowers show off quite nicely that the front tree is indeed Short.....hope this makes sense ?
It sure does make sense... Here is a copy in colour, I'm new to PSE too so unsure how to do selective desaturation, working out SC on PSE6 was a fluke as it was :LOL:

THANKS again for the great feedback (y)

No problems.

Just curious but have you heard of/ tried to use tilt and shift? It's what I used on my lifeboat picture to blur the background and make the boat stand out! During my 3.5year olds insomniac cuddles last night I tried it with your photo on my phone app, I think it could work with the colour version of this shot.

Apparently you can do it in PSE linky

Nope... never heard of it, i'll look at that in a bit once I try some feedback catch-ups again

Here is a colour copy I had already done the following from original:

• Crop left and right to hide an odd tree and help with the 'Height of the Oak
  • Cloned out part of hedge and over 2 drain covers
  • Increased Saturation
  • HUGE Increase in Vibrance

I felt the tree didn't stand out enough despite my heavily exaggerated Colours :thinking:

Mahooosive increase to Vibrance & Saturation by TP DK..., on Flickr

Pride; excellent! Can't fault it!

Short, I like this, but although the SC works well in the branches, it clashes a bit at ground and trunk level I think. Not sure what could be done about that though!

I like the edit much more; I think the shorty stands out fine.

Great idea, and nice composition :)

Pride; excellent! Can't fault it!

Short, I like this, but although the SC works well in the branches, it clashes a bit at ground and trunk level I think. Not sure what could be done about that though!

I like the edit much more; I think the shorty stands out fine.

Great idea, and nice composition :)
Cheers Mark :)

I know what you mean... maybe I should try reversing things, B&W little tree with the rest as colour - Scratch that... sounds even worse thinking of it

Hi DK....

Short...I like the colour version, it fits the theme well...that is one big oak tree!!

Hi Dk, I certainly prefer the full colour version of your tree, it does also look better when viewed on a a black background too.
Hi again Michael :)

Do you not think I over processed it?? maybe it's just me because I know how dull it was :D

Short - nice take on the theme. I think I prefer the full colour version. Thanks for sharing the PP details.
Hi Mike... Thanks... and your welcome :)

I think it stands out just fine!I prefer the full colour version.

Hi DK, I did a REALLY quick edit on my phone to show you how the tilt & shift would affect your shot, what do you think:

DKsshort.jpg

I couldn't fine tune it and this was about as far as I could reduce the blur. Please let me know and I'll remove it if you want. Marsha.
OOoo I quite like that, I think it helps, Thanks for putting the work into it (y)

Hi DK....

Short...I like the colour version, it fits the theme well...that is one big oak tree!!
Cheers Neil :)

It is a big bugger yes... It sure sheds alot of leaves too :bang:

Back