weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Thanks everyone. I tried to do a reshoot so I could straighten the verticals in PS, but there were some protesters who got in the way. So I just left it. Lesson learnt.

Week 20 Leave.

I couldn't get anything into my head for this. So I just went down to Glengall Street bus station and waiting for someone with a suitcase to walk out the door.

Did a bit of adjusting in PS as the colour image was unappealing.

week20leave by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Well done for seeking out the opportunity, the signs really help with the theme - processing works for me, it helps deal with the 'washed-out' doorway.

I like it, it fits the theme and the processing is great.

belfast city hall is good and the sky matches the building :clap: loving leave, great pp :clap:

our local train station was my idea, until I got there and found trains were cancelled that day, d'oh

Last edited:
Hi Robert

Authority - Great building that, all crit fully mentions so from me a is to say I like the angle personally, I think it helps add to it's towering stance, the sign is nicely placed in the frame too

Leave - I would crop out the part sign on the right, other than that I think it's a super shot, really like the composition, and the PP works real well - great one (y)

Hi Robert

Leave - simple effective idea for the theme. The pp has contributed to the simplicity.

Thr handrail leads the eye through the pic

I agree with DK that a crop of the left hand sign would be good and for good measure i might consider balancing that by removing the fire extinguisher too.

Good work Robert, bang on theme.
I agree about the suggested crop just to tidy things up a wee bit.

I like the leading line of the handrail, draws the viewers eye in and through towards the exit. I think images with shiny metallic objects (the handrail) suit this type of processing or full B&W, so good choice there. Iain

Authority is great, and bang on theme, but I'd have liked a little straightening and maybe even perspective correction if possible? That said, I tried it and you end up cropping too much of the building, so unless it's already cropped you'd have struggled. Great shot though.

Leave is perfection; can't find a thing wrong with it!!!

I can't decide which of those I like best; no 1 is great because of the hint of detail left in the silhouette, but number 2 has the nicer sky! On the basis that you didnt make the sky, but did correctly expose the tower, I'll vote for number 1!

Last edited:
Leave - I like your PP and silhouetted figure departing. Bang on theme and great use of signs.

Random - Number two for me, i really like the 'wave' like clouds and colours, the aircraft is a nice touch and brings the eye up nicely. (y)

Authority - good subject, shame about the skies but sometimes we do not have a choice and have to go with whats in front of us. Nice building and like the angle.

Leave - really good capture, the colour conversion has worked well for me. Says leave nicely.

Random - lovely skies there. Looks to be a nice place for togging.

Oohh... tough one... I'm gonna go with the tower too I think... although the clouds are nicer in the second.. and that random plane probably tips the balance in terms of the theme. I just prefer the tower.

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciate the fooedback.

Thanks Mandy.

Week 22 Temperature.

It was either heat haze or a melting ice cube. Heat haze was more of a challenge and it was going to be a bigger challenge than I thought. I rode up to Newtownards on my Lambretta and stopped on the hill of the carriageway to get a heat haze photograph. I got a few before heading home. I hade to ride into Newtownards and round the roundabout to come back to Belfast, but the Lambretta died on the roundabout.

I had to push it home. Started pushing at 1.50pm and got home 5.15pm. 9 miles and beetroot! The digital speedo on my Lambretta has an ambient temperature reading and it was 41c at one stage.

Turned out to be a dead stator plate. I'll be renewing my RAC tomorrow!

Anyway, here's Temperature

heat-45a by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice one Robert, I did think about heat haze and tried one across the top of the car but yours is far superior then my attempt. ;)

says temperature but it seems to be a touch blue that might be just me though

Hi Robert

I though about heat haze as well but had no real idea how to shot it....you've done a great job (y)

Random....2 great images , love the lighting & colors in the 1st & great lead in line with the path :clap:

Liking the tones in #2 & the inclusion of the plane adds to it.....I'd maybe consider cropping some from the left just to take the plane slightly off centre ?

Great work mister & big (y) for still being here :)

Nice work on your edit Robert, good bit of twizzling there ;)

Bang on theme, its got a lot going for it. I like the crop you've used here, the slight panoramic feel works well. Iain

Hi, Robert, I had a similar idea but suspect yours is better than I could have done. The edit is richer and overall haze works really well. Nice inclusion of the car.

Cheers.

clearly hot... so fits the bill... the edit is better

ah brilliant job altho I quite liked the original as the blue tint gave it more haze, if you get what I mean

what does it look like with a tighter crop? :clap:

I'm another who had thought of haze for that brief second before dismissing it. Well done for capturing it. I guess it couldn't have been a better week. I think Summer might have a good idea with a cropped version.

Ah heat haze; I wondered when someone would do that, and you've done it perfectly :) edited version is better.

Temperature - great capture of the heat haze, speaks volumes as a theme. I think your 2nd edit works better

Nick (y)

Hi Robert, sorry just catching up with everyone today.

Leave, very simple idea, nice composition and I think the editing suits it well(y)

Random, number two for me, the random clouds and beautiful sunset are lovely. The random aircraft helps too:clap:

Temperature, I had the idea for heat haze too (y) I went out looking but couldn't find any probably because it was blowing a gale that week:bonk: I think your effort is superb, the haze has worked so well the car is reflecting on the road:clap:

Hello Robert,

Leave - I like what you've done here and wouldn't change a thing.

Random - For me, it's got to be #1, the tower. I love the sky and the fact that it's not just a silhouette; you can still make out plenty of detail. Very nice!!

Like the heat haze shot, well produced in the edit :clap:

Back