weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment.

Week 23 Abstract

What a struggle. I've been trying to find something for the this weeks task and got distracted. I picked up a D7000 yesterday and I've been trying to get to grips with it.

I'm submitting two this week.

1. This is the rain settled on the side panel of my Lambretta.

Week 23 Abstract-b by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

2. A bin bag over the seat of my Lambretta.

Week 23 Abstract-a by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Do these qualify as Abstract?

The D7000 is a cracking camera - not that I'm biased at all.

I like both these. I like the addition of the bright yellow on #1 but there's something about #2 that I really like. Maybe it's the silvery feel to it. Nice one.

Thanks Peter.

I've almost cut myself off from the world around since yesterday while I try and get my head into this camera. It's a stunning piece of kit.

Hi Robert, I like both of these abstract shots. The detail and texture in #2 is great but I keep getting drawn towards the colour on #1.

Enjoy the D7000 its a great camera and like Peter I'm not biased at all!!:LOL::LOL:

Hi Robert I prefer number two as well. I like one as well but I can't decide if the point of focus is in the right place:thinking: My eye wants to see the line between the yellow and the grey in focus!

Have fun with your camera. I had a play with my bro's D7000 earlier this year, they are nice.

Oooh, number 1 for me! Love the colours, the DoF, the composition, everything!

Number 2 is very good too, but 1 is stunning!

Temperature - thats where I want to be right now. Good thinking for capturing the theme. The colour adjustment in #2 works well.

Abstract -both good shots, meets the theme well. #1 I like the yellow but the bottom half is a little distracting for me.

#2 well taken and well lit.

My husband has a D7000, very nice camera!

Hi Robert

loving that Abstract of the lambretta side panel , strong color , water droplets....love it :clap:

Both really good and fit the theme, prefer the first one though.

Thanks everyone.

Week 24 Symmetry.

A poor effort. I'm struggling and as well as struggling for time, I couldn't come up with anything better.

I plucked this from the hedge out the front I used two flashes to back light the wall and try to show the detail.

week 24 Symmetry by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

I don't think it is a poor effort at all Robert. The simplicity of the shot really works. I like the whiteness of the background with the composition of the subject coming from the top left.

I can't see why you're unhappy with that? I love the asymmetrical composition with the symmetrical subject; I think symmetrical composition is sometimes too obvious for this theme (even though my own is nearly symmetrically composed!).

Last edited:
good evening Robert, if you forced me to choose between your abstract shots then i would go for number 1, the colour makes it for me.

Symmetry - its bang on theme, but i'm another who would have liked to have seen more of the leave in the frame

You're too hard on yourself Robert, let us be the judge of what works and what doesn't :LOL:
It is a great photograph with so much going for it.
Its bang on theme but more importantly, technically very well done. The lighting is fantastic showing all the detail of the fern, the composition of the fern leading the viewers eye through the frame works well too. Good work. Iain

That's excellent Robert, what are you being so hard on yourself for (like I can talk ;):D)... very simple, very clean, very well composed, and a lovely bit of symmetry to boot.

Hi Robert

love it , nice n simple , great lighting , bang on theme....what more could you ask for :shrug: top shot matey :clap:

I think we all tend to be harder on ourselves than others are ( I know I am), sometimes you have to believe what people say & take all the positives as a huge pat on the back (y)

Hi Robert

Random - 2 good shots but for me #1 is in a higher class. Good exposure and composition and lovely colours

Temperature - well executed for what was a difficult subject. Looks a little blue to me too. Hope your scooter is returned to health.

Abstract - 2 very good shots. #2 is very clear, well focussed, nice comp. But #1 has far more relevance to the theme I think. Whereas #2 looks like what it is - water droplets on plastic, #1 has a real abstract quality. Good colours, good contrast between them. Agree with Martha about the point of focus but this is a very original take on the theme(y)

Symmetry - others have said it all. Super work. You should be proud of that

Last edited:
Blimey, thanks everyone. I honestly didn't think it was a good shot.

I'm an hour and ten minutes late submitting these and as usual they were very last minute due to a hectic week and really bad weather spoiling my plans.

Week 25 Moody

First is a picture I took of my Son. I tried making the image moody with a flash direct from above, Isolating Jake and having the surrounding area dark.

moody by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Reshoot:

I went back down to get some shots of the birds to try and improve on my Flight picture.

Week 25 Reshoot 1 Flight by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert!

I looked at your thread a couple of days ago, but held off commenting because I immediately wanted to tweak them both in "my usual style", so I wanted to stew on it and be sure that my comments weren't just "this is what I would have done".

Initially with Moody, I wanted to re-crop it. Having pondered though, I prefer your composition - the negative space really works and it gives the impression that there's some distance for him to be looking into. After pondering, I wouldn't change a thing.

I think flight is a slightly weaker picture though - to me it looks like the PP isn't quite finished yet. The bird looks like it should be centred, but it's slightly low and right (though it is ever so slightly - I did measure it to be sure I wasn't seeing things!). I'd also be tempted to increase the saturation and contrast ever so sllightly slightly to make it really pop. That said, it's a fabulous shot - birds in flight are tricky to get sometimes but you've got it bang on.

I'm also a fan of your watermark - if you scan the barcode (say on a mobile phone) does it include your contact details? That would be awesome :)

Hi Robert

Moody - very good shot. I like the lighting and the comp.

Flight. - good bird in flight (you seem to have a happy knack on the symmetry angle :)) Others have said it about exposure and I would certainly agree with Michael about trying a letter box crop to see how that would turn out

Week 26 Joy.

This was another tricky subject to tackle. The weather has made things awkward. I had my Son yesterday and unable to get an outdoor shot. So I shot this with a flash through a brolly, with a black background.

Excuse the Man Utd shirt, not my choice!

Week 26 Joy by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Thank you. I wasn't entirely happy with the colour version of this shot, so I'm happy with your comments.

He's been told not to expect much with international football. England or Northern Ireland!

nice pics i like all of them

flight works really well and would have been a good shot for symmetry too

The other two are more posed pics but really nice composition and B and W in moody

joy shame about the shirt :LOL:

Back