weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

Desperately playing catch up, so sorry it's brief!

Straight - Lovely shot, only slight niggle is the clipped top of the helmet.
Letter - I actually prefer the message in a bottle shot! If the note had been written on non-lined paper in a pretty cursive, it'd be perfect.
Contrast - Nice colour and treatment, I think I'd have preferred a firm/flat background, but we must work with what we have :)

Hi, Summer, contrast I like. B&W works really well as does the central composition. Well processed.

Possible a smoother BG. Wonder what having horizontal BG stripes wouls look like to add another level of contrast?

Good show :clap:

Hi Summer

oooohh...like your Contrast shot , mono works really well (y) as others have said a smoother BG would've topped it off but I know these things are'nt always possibly...like Andy's idea of horizontal strips for the BG as well :)

lol thanks folks - the BG is a garden chair :LOL: both it and the bag are B&W but I still had to desaturate as the high boost levels brought out bits of colour in the light :banana:

Hi Summer :wave:
Contrast - I really like this as is, I think the background gives it depth.
I also like Andy's idea of horizontal stripes for added contrast too :LOL:

It's bang on theme, very bold and I particularly like the vignette, it helps concentrate the eye on the main subject. Iain

thanks for the comments everyone :)

week 31 - mineral

This is a piece of lava from Lanzarote which was given to me as a gift. One of my other hobbies is lapidary so I had quite a lot to choose from for this week :LOL:

week 31 - mineral by moominmama, on Flickr

thank-you John and Michael :)

Hi, Summer, looks like an asteroid :help:

Like it. Nice and sharp with good shadows and contrast.

I'd like to see the LH side as black as the RH side and a few odd specks on the RH side. Minor points but worth a mention.

....and I hope I wasn't the only one who had to Google lapidary :thinking:

Cheers.

thanks Andy :LOL: not quite sure what you're getting at with the lighting tho..:p

Contrast – I do like this one. The background the bag is sitting on really adds to the image

Mineral - Nicely lit piece of rock which hits the theme.

thank-you Peter :)

Hi Summer

can't add much to whats been said already , nicely lit , good detail & right on theme (y) Liking the texture as well , can almost feel that it's lava...if that makes sense ? The only thing I will add is that , for me , there's a bit too much dead space to the RHS ?

thanks guys :)

no cloning or other pp apart from colour/wb etc. What does it need less of? I took others with my son standing still but wasn't happy with any of them. I liked this one because of the dynamic feel. I actually think I needed more ambient light...

nice interpretation of the theme but it is quite hard to make out what is in the light but as i said really good idea

lol on my screen I can't see his head as it's too dark - I really need an extended monitor :(

well I checked it on my screen at work and I still couldn't see circles or his head :thinking:

I can see three circles but only just and only because I started looking for them. The picture tells a story and for me the motion blur adds to the image.

thanks Peter and that is also why I chose the one above from the many taken - the dog looks cowed and so it leaves you asking yourself what is happening :)

and so onto week 33 - 'time'. I was going to make my own human sundial, when by chance I bumped into one of my flickr contacts. I've never met him before but he recognised our dog and introduced himself. (not a complete stranger as he used to work with my hubby). We were chatting about the 52's and I said I was going to make a human sundial, then he pointed me to this one :) stroke of luck.

anyway the pic isn't very good for 2 reasons - I used my cheap filter-type wide-angle and I had the aperture set wide open which gave me too shallow dof. So I will go back with my tripod next time we get some sun :)

[I also took one of my shadow pointing to the time but I wasn't happy with that either - you can see it on my flickr]

week 33 time by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
Letter - beautiful. Love that fountain pen, real gem of an item and makes these kinds of shots special.

Contrast - another real cracker of a shot. Bang on theme and works really well. The B&W has come out well and I like the bg.

Mineral - reminds me of the moon, as I often frequent there! Nicely lit and the border adds to the whole shot.

Dark - on theme, good idea and well done. Like the motion blurring works well.

Time - great for the the theme but the picture is not great, for the reasons you say. Look forward to seeing your 2nd attempt

I'm not sure it is the dof tbh because the rhs seat looks fine, but there is definite distortion on the LHS of the pic, might be better without the filter-lens. Wonder if the sun will come back this week? :LOL:

Hi Summer

Mineral - Some great detail showing, as said the background could do with a tiny hoover up but real nice lighting!!!!

Dark - Good composition, set up well and liking the idea, nice movement captured

Time - Really like the composition, and a great subject matter/location for the theme, but the left hand side is way too oof and keeps drawing my attention, would love to see a shot done with tri-pod as you suggest

I think this is caused by lens distortion. I was using one of those cheap £20 wide-angle filter things. Most of the pics I take with it turn out really poor so it may well find it's way into the bin (or ebay) :LOL:

there's a mono version with a shadow in my flickr but today I got some new ones so here they are - without distortion...also one like the original in flickr :)

human sundial by moominmama, on Flickr

human sundial by moominmama, on Flickr

thanks Michael - that was the same as the original but without the distorting wide angled lens - I replaced the original one on flickr with the one now shown :)

I just thought I'd add the above 2 as different perspectives

Hi Summer

your Dark image keeps growing on me , took a while to "see "it but yeah , different take on the theme that works well (y)

Time.....had no idea that it was a human sundial till I read your blurb ( I can be quite dim at times !) Think I prefer the color version that Michael linked o in your flickr....neat idea (y)

Back