weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Hi Robert

if thats a weak attempt I can't wait to see what you produce when you really put your mind to it :)

I like it , love the shadows , the bits of detail that the lighting has enhanced in the wood....yup a big (y) from me .But , just to be awkward , I'd have prefered it a little less central.........:coat:

the 1st one for time is very nice, love the olde worlde feel to it - I might have blacked out the green traffic light tho - the lights are ok but the green is a bit bright for the overall feel of the pic (spoils the mood a bit :LOL: )

body - love the shadows :clap: :clap:

Thank you.

I think I was just lucky with the flash set up, buut it was rushed and that was what I wasn't happy about.

Week 35 Liquid

This is the first time I tried this and I was quietly suprised how they came out.

I took a bit more time today and got the shot set up with a tray of water and an off camera flash onto a white background. I then dripped the water onto the tray of water using a remote to catch the picture I was after.

I'm away to Mersea Island on a Scooter Rally Wednesday, but if I can get a reshoot of a previous theme before then I will.

All critique welcome.

week35liquid by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert, I'm so glad you have kept going and don't be so hard on yourself - you have lots of great shots to be proud of!!:)

body - I like your dramatic lighting on this and using two flashes has given a heart effect on the models chest!

Liqiud - well done. I can't believe you have achieved this on your first attempt. I was going to try water drops again for this theme but haven't had the patience this week! Seeing you seem to be a natural with these we want to see some crowns next!!:LOL: Not sure if you've seen this website but there are some fabulous creations it!:) http://www.liquiddropart.com/

Time, a series of good shots, I agree about the modern building, I think it should go for the feel of the image... Having said that, I prefer the first of the mono as the choice.

Body, an interesting take, and it fits the theme well. Like the lighting on that on.

Liquid, A good interpretation of the theme, works nicely

Hi Robert

Body - Very good. Well lit and good dark b/g. The central position is helped by the slight turn on the body, so that it does not look straight on to camera.

Liquid - well if this is your first try at this you have made it look dead easy. Well done, great capture and spot on theme

Time – Out of these I much prefer the first B&W one. I’m afraid the pp’ing of the colour version didn’t do anything for me.

Body – I’d thought of doing a similar shot. I like what you’ve done with the lighting on this one.

Liquid – Fabulous shot. These are difficult to get so you’ve done well and got a very pleasing image. You could have used this for symmetry as well. Great stuff.

liquid is very good, nice and sharp on the drops :clap:

Thanks very much for the replies.

Just to clarify thought. I didn't get the droplet shot on my first photo! Just my first attempt at trying the shoot.

I managed a reshoot picture too.

Reshoot: Joy

It might not show and it might be a weak effort, but this is Joy on my youngest Son. The Joy was shared by myself though as I've just started spending some real time with him.

j1-sm by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

A nice portrait showing joy in the child's face. If I commented about cropping on the right hand side to make the swing symmetrical would it sound too OCD?

Hi, missed a few!

Wasn't sure about Time when viewed on phone but on laptop, liking it. There's a real nostalgic and film feel to it.

Body, another nice one. Well lit. I'd just like to see a tad more light on the torso.

Liquid, well captured and sharp. Bit closer for me, though.

Cheers.

Hi Robert,

Body, like Lynne says, if this is bad I look forward to seeing you on form! I really like it, I especially like how the shadows have formed a heart shape on the chest:clap:

Liquid, brilliant! I've tried this and it's not easy, I love the colour of the liquid and the bright twinkling lighting reflecting at the base of the droplet splash, the ripples look great too:clap:

Joy reshoot, for me the joy would be getting a picture of said small person swinging in focus, I have issues with this subject so well done!

You can't quit now, you're too far into the year and we like your photos :)

Hi Robert

Quietly pleased......if that was my attempt at water droplets I'd hve been running round telling everyone & anyone I could find ! Excellents shot,no crit from me just a mahoooosive (y)

Great reshoot for joy,wonderful focus.great DOF & fabulous little face :clap:

A nice portrait showing joy in the child's face. If I commented about cropping on the right hand side to make the swing symmetrical would it sound too OCD?

I had the same thought!!

I was also thinking about a portrait frame rather than landscape - the logo on the t-shirt being clipped is also offending my OCD.

That said, the tones and exposure are lovely.. I'd be interested to see a colour version though.

Thanks very much everyone.

Another week where I've left it until the last minute.

Week 36 Up

Couldn't get any ideas into my head for this. So I just got my Son pointing up. :shrug:

Off camera flash through a brolly.

week36up by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert, isn't it annoying how a theme will give one person hundreds of ideas and others no inspiration what so ever:nuts:
For a simple idea you've done it justice, the lighting really works for me(y) I can't decide if it's too central though:thinking: Next time I would possibly find a volunteer that doesn't nibble their nails though:bonk:

Hi Robert :)

Sorry, looks like I have got further behind with yours than expected

Small - Excellent image, love how you have set it up, thanks for showing us too, I need to brush up on the use of my flash, great little snail !!!

Straight - Did that one already, god knows how i missed small :thinking:

Letter - Simple shot but very effective, I really like the angles of the brickwork and how well the 'N' stands out - Nice One (y)

Contrast - Does work for me without the description, as a shot though I like it, great Greens, nice balance to the shot with the signs too - and with the description it fits the theme

Contrast 1 - Needs a slight level because of the brick work, but a great feeling in the shot, like the pp

Mineral - Another salt image so much better than the efforts of mine (so glad I didn't post them) I like the crop of the shot, with the flow of salt getting wider, well shot

Dark - Minor Crit - A full eye would of made the shot better to me, but still an excellent image very nicely lit (y)

Time - not too sure if it's upright, but like the PP you have given it

Alt shot - Nice shot, I like how the weathervane has caught the sun and it looks good that you caught the dial dead on the half past !!!

Body - Very effective lighting, a nice shot that, perfect for the theme :)

Liquid - Excellent shot - well captured :clap:

Joy re-shoot - Precious moments well caught Robert, it's good to make the most of them and a photo sure helps in my opinion !!!

Up - Very original take, I like it :)

Thank you so much for your time to reply. (Now I have mine done early, I'm going to try and get through some others' work).

Week 37 Duo

I took this Saturday while shooting a football match for a local club that my Son plays for. These are twins that play in his team. More of a snap really. Hope it's ok though.

week37duo by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi, Robert, I quite like the simplicity of Up. Tad off the bottom, maybe.

Duo, liking this. Good eye contact. I like how left son is leaning in. I'd prefer a slight crop left and right and the guy in blue in the BG should have been told to leg it...:D

Cheers.

Guy in the bg is really annoying spoils what could have been a nice portrait

Up is nicely lit, simple, and mono suits well, it's also perfect for the theme

Duo, a good portrait of the boys, and it fits the theme, shame about the blue in the background...

lucky you finding twins :clap: I much prefer the 2nd shot

also, love your UP - simple and effective, good light too :clap:

Hi Robert,

Duo - I prefer the action shot as the light and colours are better. I don't find the rope distracting at all, but the spectators in the top right I do a little bit.

Up – So simple but really effective. The lighting is spot on as well. Good one.

Duo - Much prefer #1. I assume they won their game as they look pretty happy to me.

Joy reshoot I love; simple but very very effective.

Up is wonderful! Again very simple, but beautifully shot and bang on theme.

Duo, I'm not keen on the first shot (faces a little dark, and the guy in the background is very distracting), but the second one is great. The two Mums are a little distracting perhaps, but I don't think the rope is a problem.

Firstly, thank you so much for the replies.

I'm really sorry to those who I've not posted on their photo's. I've found it really hard trying to get the time. But the next couple of days will be dedicated to trying to post on those of you I've missed.

Week 38 Flow.

I spent some time at Shaws Bridge on Sunday, but couldn't get the right picture. I went back Tuesday and still wasn't happy.

So today I went up to a wee spot called the Cregagh Glen which is basically about 100 yards away. It has tiny waterfalls that really are tiny. This is as good as I could get.

Hope it's ok.

week38flow by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Certainly says flow to me. I like how the eye can be led down the background waterfall and then the one in the foreground. Exposure looks good as well which is often the problem when taken white water against dark rocks. Good stuff Robert.

Back