weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

Dark - Like the idea and movement but think it would have been better if the person was complete.
Time - both on theme with #2 a good choice.

Hi Summer, I'm a few weeks behind.

Mineral, I had a similar idea but couldn't locate my lump of Vesuvius! I agree with Lynne that a little crop is needed, but nice detail in the rock.

Dark, good idea, the sense of movement helps.

Time, I bet that place is really peaceful? I looked on your Flickr and can't decide which I prefer:bonk: Your human sundial is a very clever idea, maybe a triptych needed with the shadow in three different places ;)

Week 34 is here, Body???

Hi, Summer, when I saw #1 I wanted #2 and got it. Cracking photograph and well on theme. Pity the top bit, but without a ladder not much you could do. Any B&W of #2?

Cheers.

thanks for the comments guys - I had several ideas for body - including drawing round my son with chalk on the road - but I settled on this - there are others on my flickr

body art

week 34 - body (art) by moominmama, on Flickr

thanks for the comments guys - I had several ideas for body - including drawing round my son with chalk on the road - but I settled on this - there are others on my flickr

body art

Ink, never thought about INK! I have the odd tattoo and Jackie has a cracking half back tattoo....

Liking this one. Is it you? It's a cracker (y)

Crit: BG's a bit distracting, leg's a bit hot :)nono:) near the knee. But I can live with these for such a cracking tattoo :clap::clap:

Cheers.

Sorry it's brief - I'm lagging behind again! :(

Mineral - fab lighting, very sci-fi.
Dark - I like the idea but like you say it's a tricky one to get right.
Time - It wasn't obvious to me that it was a sundial! Nice composition.
Body - Love it, fabulous colours and composition and a nice interesting take on the theme.

I could have got someone else to take the pic but that would be defeating the object - it's real hard to get a photo of your own ink lol - I did take some 'point and press' with the tripod and remote trigger and these are on flickr. there's also some of my hubby's back piece. I thought daylight would be ok but the sun was too bright :( I only wish I had a studio and some lights so I could get some decent ones.

btw the robot was done by a very dear friend of mine called Debs who runs Armadillo Ink in Bassinbourne near Cambridge :) her own artwork too (she's very good artist)

Liking the tatoo shot for body - but I think I actally prefer the BW one called 'egypt' in your flickr photostream.

Cheers

Lovely bit of art work just a shame the lower section and knee slightly blown. Think 'back piece' on hubby's back is stunning and would have been my choice for theme if the background was cleaner. As you commented, needs a studio and lights.

Bang on theme Summer (y)
I particularly like the vibrant colours in your chosen image having looked on your flickr stream. The B&W ones are great too, just the background a little busy. A closer crop would tidy things up I think.
It adds something to the photograph in that it is a self portrait, and I admire the confidence of people who do sp's.
No real crit to add Summer, it only be nit picking if I did. Great work (y) Iain

A self portrait without having to run around the front of the camera in time for the shutter being released :LOL:. Certainly fits the theme. Like Alex I've never wanted one but am always impressed by the shear artistry that goes into some of them.

HI Summer

Ouch....that makes me wince but then I'm a southern softie :LOL:

Can't really ad to whats already been mentioned so I'll just say well done for braving a needle to have that work of art done (y)

love your comments guys - thank-you :)

encouraged and inspired by Blakester I tried to do a hand-in-water shot, but my tank wasn't deep enough (my attempts are on flickr) so I did this instead :banana:

52 weeks - liquid (week 35) by moominmama, on Flickr

I do love these shots. I could never do one myself (my water-loving cat would be far too involved for me to retain any semblance of control over the situation) but I do love the end result. This one in particular has created a wonderful shape with the water - the overall effect looks, to me, like a goldfish, with the orange (is it an orange?) making the body and the splash making a tailfin. Colour and tone are excellent, I think the only thing I would consider changing is the angle of the camera to the water so that the surface isn't visible.

Nice one Summer (y)
I do think the water in a fishtank has lots of photography opportunities and you've displayed that here. I do like the vivid colour of the orange into the water. Focussing, I think is always the issue with these type of shots but you've handled it well. Good lighting too.
I think a contrast boost would make this even more striking. Have you tried rotating it 90deg, I turned my laptop around :LOL: and it makes for an interesting composition.

lol it's a tomato - but the ripples do make it look like an orange :) I see what you mean about the goldfish shape - will have a fiddle with angles too :)

Hi Summer

Trying to catch up

Dark - on theme. Probably cold do with a little less blur but very hard to get spot on and , as you say, it looks better with blur than withiout. Nice splash of colour , either a scarf or dog lead.

Tiem - really good idea and your attmepts without the wide angle thingy are better. But looks like a very difficult object to photograph

Body - Good colours on the tattoo. Background is a bit busy but striking purple on the fabric. Good selfie.

Liquid - good attempt, far better than i could do. Great effect - the bottom looks like the tomato is wrapped in tin foil

I was also thinking orange :LOL: I'd have liked to have seen a bit lower down but other than that, as Sarah says, it's a good attempt at something that is harder than it looks.

thanks guys, don't forget I have more on flickr - including one with a fist like Iain's - I am going to try more when the sun comes back out ha ha

Nicely done but maybe a better angle on it would be better but it is really hard to do I understand that much

Hi Summer

Body, oooo foxy lady baring your legs:naughty: but very brave! Cracking art work too and fits the theme well. I agree about the slight blown bit on the knee,can that bit be tweaked in PP? I know I'm always abusing that recovery slider in camera RAW! Sorry I didn't get a chance to peak at the rest on Flickr.

Liquid, I though these were very good attempts and I'd love to have a go sometime as well. I agree with Iain about rotating it on it's side and increasing the contrast. I've had a little play on my phone and it works well, I'll upload it later if you want me too?
I have had a quick peak on Flickr at these, I like the fist ones but feel they just need to be brighter. I do think this is the better one(y)

took this while I was out on the heath today - I wanted to get one of those tree-tops shots but it didn't look right with leaves - so I got this instead - see the lil aeroplane?

note - I have replaced the one on flickr with a straighter cropped version, you might have to click on the one below to see it in all its glory :LOL:

week 36 - UP by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
I can see that you are new here - you need to put your 52 week's photos in your own dedicated thread :)

sturisoma said:
I can see that you are new here - you need to put your 52 week's photos in your own dedicated thread :)

Thanks for letting me know. I will try again...:)

Ooooooh. I like that a lot! B&W works really well and I don't think I'd have noticed the plane if you hadn't said, but it's so cute nestled in there! It doesn't quite look straight, but I think that adds to it (and from the looks of it it's just like that, nothing to do with your framing).

The plane really does make the pic the botom strut of the pylon is noticeable for not being straight so maybe a slight crop

thanks for your comments everyone - tbh I was sure I'd cropped it so that both legs were in the corners - perhaps I uploaded an earlier version? Or didn't save it? Or imagined doing it but didn't actually do it (I do that a lot - very worrying)?

so yeah I agree with you all, however I am being lazy so maybe I'll fix it later :p

okay, I done it already :banana:

Last edited:
Up - I'm a bit partial to an electricity pylon or two although have easily resisted to join the Pylon Appreciation Society :LOL:

Nice shot and the addition of the plane really adds to it. I spotted it and thought great stuff before reading your words mentioning it. I really must remember to read the words at just look at the pictures. ;)

thanks Peter :) someone already mentioned that society but I'd feel like Rimmer if I joined that (altho his were telegraph poles)

Back