weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Been busy DK ;)...

Body, it's good plenty of drama in that sky

Dark, is good, looking at it though, I'm wondering if you can lose the left hand most lights... Very nicely done

Liquid, both nicely done, but I prefer the first... much more natural... looks to me like it's slanting a little though.

I do 99% of my PP in LightRoom - it's really easy for things like this. You just "paint" over the area you want to change, then fiddle with the sliders until it looks right. It's easy to change it later, too. I've always found PS a little hard to use for things like this, maybe give it a try? I think you can download a trial/demo/beta.
Hhhhmmmm I use LR 4.1 but didn't realise you could edit selectively - I'll have to look harder :thinking:

Been busy DK ;)...
Hey John... Just a tad :LOL:

Body, it's good plenty of drama in that sky
Thanks... I do feel it needs a bit of umph though

Dark, is good, looking at it though, I'm wondering if you can lose the left hand most lights... Very nicely done
Hmmmmmm let me look....

Ermmm from where, the last little mountain ??

Liquid, both nicely done, but I prefer the first... much more natural... looks to me like it's slanting a little though.
Thanks again :)

I have just checked, not that I am paranoid now :D but I have 19 different shots of them falls and the all have the rocks sloping at that angle, so it must be an illusion :p

Hmmmmmm let me look....

Ermmm from where, the last little mountain ??

I have just checked, not that I am paranoid now :D but I have 19 different shots of them falls and the all have the rocks sloping at that angle, so it must be an illusion :p

Where... I'm not so sure now.. I think my laptop must have been playing silly games with me on the image rendering... I've viewed it now on both my phone and mac and the image is showing more on the RHS.. so doesn't need a crop ... :thinking::bonk:

Aha.. one of those illusory slopes :D... yeah, probably... I think the angles confuse the eyes

Welcome back
BODY with you on that for a theme foeground a little dull though

DARK can't fault it just the right amount of light

Liquid not sure of either like the light and colour on the water in number 2 but there are a lot of other things distracting me from that

Good catch up DK

Body - Like the comp but agre with others about the 'flatness' of the shot

Dark - really like that (y) Godd comp, for me just the right amount of detail whilst keeping the sky very dark. Cracking moon.:clap:

Liquid - #1 - good comp - angles going every which way. Nice water capture. Again does not look as if you were blessed with the best of light.

#2 - that has grown on me. Wasn't sure of the sodium lighting at first but now think that it adds to the atmosphere. Again, very good water. Maybe just a bit wonky, which matters more on this i feel than the first.

Hi DK

Oh , thats lovely......my 1st words when I saw your Liquid shot (alternate) , such well captured movement in the water & great subtle tones , love the refelction in the water as well...I'd have been tempted to crop down to the top of the water or lose the green in the grass to give a total sepia feel....love it :clap:

Body.....liking the idea but seems a little flat in terms of colors in the water , not quite sure how to overcome that as it looks like the lighting wasn't the best .Totally love the sky though (y)

Dark....really like this type of image , very appealing especially with the moon & it's reflection (y) I do thnk however, I'd be tempted to crop it to just below the reflection of the hills in the water , more sort of letterbox style ?

Scotland is beautiful...weather has a tendancy to be iffy though.....looks like you had a good holiday anyway (y)

Hi DK, apart from the weather I hope you had a lovely holiday?

Body, love it! But agree with everyone about it being a little flat! So I had a really quick tweak on my phone, mostly contrast increasing selectively in areas and brightness in the sky on the right reduced, what do you think?

9EFFFD53-901E-4ABD-B30C-BEA6EC691057-1746-0000017E9623AC02.jpg

Ok and I had to try a b&w!

0939518E-6A02-4EB7-B0AF-33ADC8062CC0-1746-0000017E8FEAEB4A.jpg

Just some little tweaks done in Snapseed on my phone.

Dark, very nice. Maybe a bit more light needed to just show the mountains a bit more.

Liquid. I like the waterfall but feel this kind of shot needs to be sharp, you get as much movement from the white foam. The second shot however really suits the slower shutter speed and the lighting is amazing.

Glad to see you still plodding along.

Let me know if you want my edits removing. Cheers.

Where... I'm not so sure now.. I think my laptop must have been playing silly games with me on the image rendering... I've viewed it now on both my phone and mac and the image is showing more on the RHS.. so doesn't need a crop ... :thinking::bonk:

Aha.. one of those illusory slopes :D... yeah, probably... I think the angles confuse the eyes
Cheers John - thanks for looking and suggesting anyway :)

Welcome back
Thanks Allan
BODY with you on that for a theme foeground a little dull though
Yep :D

DARK can't fault it just the right amount of light

Liquid not sure of either like the light and colour on the water in number 2 but there are a lot of other things distracting me from that
Thanks Allan... I may try an alternative crop then :)

Good catch up DK
Cheers Alan... not quite there but feel i'm getting on top of it at last :)

Body - Like the comp but agre with others about the 'flatness' of the shot
Yep... can't argue with that :)

Dark - really like that (y) Godd comp, for me just the right amount of detail whilst keeping the sky very dark. Cracking moon.:clap:
Many Thanks :)

Liquid - #1 - good comp - angles going every which way. Nice water capture. Again does not look as if you were blessed with the best of light.
Thanks... for this one I had the other problem, in Body poor light, for this one too much harsh light, I wanted a slow shutter speed as I wated the motion, but haven't yet got any Decent stoppers, something I need to invest in before I go on a scenic holiday again that's for sure :)

#2 - that has grown on me. Wasn't sure of the sodium lighting at first but now think that it adds to the atmosphere. Again, very good water. Maybe just a bit wonky, which matters more on this i feel than the first.
Thanks Alan... I will give it a tweak on a re-crop I think :)

Hi DK, apart from the weather I hope you had a lovely holiday?
Hi Marsha, I think it was the best holiday we have had for a long time to be honest :)

Body, love it! But agree with everyone about it being a little flat! So I had a really quick tweak on my phone, mostly contrast increasing selectively in areas and brightness in the sky on the right reduced, what do you think?
Oooo Good I like that - Thanks :)

9EFFFD53-901E-4ABD-B30C-BEA6EC691057-1746-0000017E9623AC02.jpg

Ok and I had to try a b&w!
I prefer the colour, but still a nice edit

0939518E-6A02-4EB7-B0AF-33ADC8062CC0-1746-0000017E8FEAEB4A.jpg

Just some little tweaks done in Snapseed on my phone.
Works well imo

Dark, very nice. Maybe a bit more light needed to just show the mountains a bit more
Thanks... I have many shots with different exposures, once caugh up I may post a few alternates :)

Liquid. I like the waterfall but feel this kind of shot needs to be sharp, you get as much movement from the white foam. The second shot however really suits the slower shutter speed and the lighting is amazing.
That's typical, I just checked, I scrapped all my shots that I thought were too fast a shutter speed :D

Been trying to filter them quicker initially before editing, so as to speed things up, I 'remove from disk' now too to keep things tidy :bonk:

Glad to see you still plodding along.
Plodding :LOL:

Thanks, Yeah I am getting there, been busy at work, then holiday, then back to work and catching up, so now feel I am getting life back to normal, well normal for me (y)

Let me know if you want my edits removing. Cheers.
Ooo no, more than happy to have them here - Thanks (y)

Well... Been out to try and get my 'TP Day 2012' and didn't get much inspiration at all !!! what I did get is a couple of shots for my 52, not the best that's for sure, but I need to catch up, so here goes again....

Wk 33 - 'Time' to stop and get some fuel :D

Wk33 - Time by TP DK..., on Flickr

12 July...12 July...was the last time I commented on your 52....shame on me, sorry, bud :nono:

Anyway, Letter...70-200 L, several Letters there. Nice. The red really stands out. Uber shallow DOF. Can't decide whether I'd prefer it without the dark RHS :thinking:

Contrast, nice car :bat: You've filled the frame and fitted the theme. Whites are a bit hot in places, eg bonnet.

Body of water, I like. Nice low angle. Bang on composition. Nice sky. Bit hot on the right of the sky and I'd like to see a bit more vibrance. The lines on the lower rock really draw me into the photograph.

Dark, now that got my gut reaction, 'Yup, like it!' and I knew it was for me :clap: The reflections are fantastic.

Liquid, I'm a real sucker for milky water. Composition works for me. The lower rock really sits into the shape of the water.

Liquid #2 is also nice. Bit orange, maybe.

Time, well spotted. Like the blue in this one.

Right, I'll keep up from now on (y)

Cheers.

Wooohhoooo, I'm first to comment on Up.

Like it, especially the glow in the sky. Bang on theme and it's like something out of War of the Worlds.

Cheers.

Hi DK

Time - good spot and on theme. Lovely colours, partic the blue. Difficult lighting and so the yellow of the warning pump is slightly blown - but that is minor niggle

Up- soon as I saw this on the TP Day site I quessed that it would figure here.:D. Good comp , bang on theme and cracking sky. When caught right these shots are so atmospheric. Well done

12 July...12 July...was the last time I commented on your 52....shame on me, sorry, bud :nono:
No worries mate... I have no idea how anybody keeps up, I thought my method was idiot proof :D

Anyway, Letter...70-200 L, several Letters there. Nice. The red really stands out. Uber shallow DOF. Can't decide whether I'd prefer it without the dark RHS :thinking:

Contrast, nice car :bat: You've filled the frame and fitted the theme. Whites are a bit hot in places, eg bonnet.

Body of water, I like. Nice low angle. Bang on composition. Nice sky. Bit hot on the right of the sky and I'd like to see a bit more vibrance. The lines on the lower rock really draw me into the photograph.
Thanks... I really must try a re-visit on the editing/pp work :)

Dark, now that got my gut reaction, 'Yup, like it!' and I knew it was for me :clap: The reflections are fantastic.
:)

Liquid, I'm a real sucker for milky water. Composition works for me. The lower rock really sits into the shape of the water.
It really was a nice spot... could of played about for ages If I had my tr-pod with me I probably would have, guess thats why none of the family volunteered to carry it :D

Liquid #2 is also nice. Bit orange, maybe.

Time, well spotted. Like the blue in this one.

Right, I'll keep up from now on (y)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, appreciate all your comments, I agree with you about the lens box, I think I should of maybe took the shot at a steeper angle, As for liquid 2 you should have seen it before the WB :LOL:

Last edited:
Wooohhoooo, I'm first to comment on Up.
Yay !!!! good timing :D

Like it, especially the glow in the sky. Bang on theme and it's like something out of War of the Worlds.

Cheers.
Thanks again, I tried cloning out the lights but after 3 attempts I could still see them vaguely so had to leave them in :(

Hi Dean, liking up, nice glow in the sky as Andy says. I always like to see things like this against the sky,
Cheers Andy :)

Hi again Alan

Time - good spot and on theme. Lovely colours, partic the blue. Difficult lighting and so the yellow of the warning pump is slightly blown - but that is minor niggle
Yep you aint wrong :)

Up- soon as I saw this on the TP Day site I quessed that it would figure here.:D. Good comp , bang on theme and cracking sky. When caught right these shots are so atmospheric. Well done
Many Thanks :)

Hi DK

It took me a while to figure out time, but that's because I look at the picture before reading the blurb and I'm clearly stoopid! But I really like the colours and the simplicity. The glowing pump light actually aids the shot by shouting PANIC at you! Well it does to me, I hate having less than a quarter of a tank!

Up, I've never heard of the term 'MEWPS' had to Google that for the definition:bonk: I love the skyline though, it makes them stand out and perfect for the theme(y) Well seen, I would have probably ignored them completely!

Hi DK

It took me a while to figure out time, but that's because I look at the picture before reading the blurb and I'm clearly stoopid! But I really like the colours and the simplicity. The glowing pump light actually aids the shot by shouting PANIC at you! Well it does to me, I hate having less than a quarter of a tank!
Thanks :) that is what I was aiming for, the orange to stand out that is, but looking back at it now I think it needs to be bolder, there was a large 'glow' around it but I did a bit of cloning as it looked 'Scratchy'

Up, I've never heard of the term 'MEWPS' had to Google that for the definition:bonk: I love the skyline though, it makes them stand out and perfect for the theme(y) Well seen, I would have probably ignored them completely!
Many thanks again :)

We have them on hire very often but hate going up in them, horrible wobbly things :D

Time nicely exposed I find that kind of light difficult to get right

Really like up but just those pesky lamposts are getting in the way

totally failed wih TP day too went out got nothing :shake:

Time, works really well, and liking the colours and the image, nice and simple... I agree with Marsha, the car needs filling at 1/4 tank...

Up, I had to go look up MEWPS too... excellent against that sky, and bang on theme

Time nicely exposed I find that kind of light difficult to get right

Really like up but just those pesky lamposts are getting in the way

totally failed wih TP day too went out got nothing :shake:
Cheers Allan... yep them posts are a bugger !!!!!

Shame you got nothing, I was lucky I got that, was running round like a looney trying to find something before the sun dropped fully :geek:

Time, works really well, and liking the colours and the image, nice and simple... I agree with Marsha, the car needs filling at 1/4 tank...

Up, I had to go look up MEWPS too... excellent against that sky, and bang on theme
Thanks John :)

I often fill up at qtr but was rushing about, and with doing about 1,000 miles a week it's quite regular :D

Duo - a great original idea Dean, Thomas our musical eldest suggested that I do something with the piano - I'm glad I didn't as it wouldn't have been as good as yours!:):)

Duo - a great original idea Dean, Thomas our musical eldest suggested that I do something with the piano - I'm glad I didn't as it wouldn't have been as good as yours!:):)
Thanks Sarah :)

I'm glad you didn't, I think your lighting would be a tad more even :D

love it, great idea for the theme, even the keys on their own would work well too, so you've got a double duo (did you see what I did there?)

now I'm humming chopsticks :LOL:

(remember MM and TE in the 7 year itch?)

love it, great idea for the theme, even the keys on their own would work well too, so you've got a double duo (did you see what I did there?)

now I'm humming chopsticks :LOL:

(remember MM and TE in the 7 year itch?)
Hahaaa good thought... smart arse :D

Hello,

It seems like I've missed quite a few of your entries!

There's a bit of a common theme to many of your most recent photos; water. I'm guessing that's just down to the location you were at at the time of taking them?

Body - I don't think the weather helped you. For me, the sky does not really work with the theme. The image also looks is a little dark and flat.

Liquid - I prefer the alternate shot due to it being a long exposure and the water being smooth. The new crop also works better for me as it has less of the sunlight reflecting in the water (bottom right).

Up - I really like this for the theme. Great original idea and nice colours.

I forgot:

Duo - Another great take. My only crit would be the uneven lighting, but it should be possible to adjust the bright spot in the middle of the frame in PP.

Last edited:
Time – Very effective and striking. The use of the stark black works well. My fuel gauge was like that the other day. It cost me over £95 to get the needle pointing in the opposite direction.

Up – Well spotted and nice sky. I could see this working as a silhouette as well.

Duo – I like this one. Giving it a panoramic crop suits the subject matter nicely.

Hello,

It seems like I've missed quite a few of your entries!

There's a bit of a common theme to many of your most recent photos; water. I'm guessing that's just down to the location you were at at the time of taking them?
Hi Nathalie :)

Yes you are right... I had a week or so in Scotland, and yes it rained :D
I used the holiday to try and catch up a bit

Body - I don't think the weather helped you. For me, the sky does not really work with the theme. The image also looks is a little dark and flat.
No it didn't and yes it is :LOL:

Liquid - I prefer the alternate shot due to it being a long exposure and the water being smooth. The new crop also works better for me as it has less of the sunlight reflecting in the water (bottom right).
Its my prefered too - but no sunlight in the shot, not at 22:15pm ;)

Up - I really like this for the theme. Great original idea and nice colours.
Thanks

I forgot:

Duo - Another great take. My only crit would be the uneven lighting, but it should be possible to adjust the bright spot in the middle of the frame in PP.
Thanks again... and Yeah I must practice on the pp'ing

Time – Very effective and striking. The use of the stark black works well. My fuel gauge was like that the other day. It cost me over £95 to get the needle pointing in the opposite direction.
Ouch... £95 its getting ridiculous isn't it

Up – Well spotted and nice sky. I could see this working as a silhouette as well.
Thanks Peter... I though that just after I posted it, I have an edit with boosted blacks and it does look nice, maybe darkened the sky a bit too much but I like it

Duo – I like this one. Giving it a panoramic crop suits the subject matter nicely.
Cheers mucho :)

DUO is my favourite thus far, solid composition ;)
Thanks rudokas :)

Like the crop great image works well
Thanks Allan :)

Hi DK

Duo - Up to date !!

Really good idea, well executed. Apart from the dificulty with lighting, mono works just right and the crop is A1 (y)
Cheers Alan :)

Lighting was hard, used my speedlight fixed to camera, tilted/angled to bounce off the wall above the dado (where still white) onto the ceiling and hoping for even light over the piano - it was awkward as I was standing with one leg on the window sill, one leg on the dining table, arms out stretched with the children kneeling on the floor arms stretched and heads back to restrict shadows and body parts in the image - must of looked a sight :D

Back