weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

Hi Summer

Liquid.....saw an article on how to do this type of shot in DP mag but not yet been brave enough to try. I think you've done well , does seem a touch oof maybe, like the shape of the splash where the tom drops & now someone's mentioned a goldfish it's all I can see :LOL:

UP....right on theme , the plane makes a good addition & the angle leads your eye nicely UP (y)

Up, I like it (y)
The contrast of the dark pylon against the light sky adds to the atmosphere of the scene. The plane does add to the image too, it gives a sense of depth...or should that be height :thinking: to the image.
My only small crit is the grain Summer. Is this something you added in processing or was it down to the B&W conversion? It doesn't detract any from the photograph, its just that I am undecided on whether it is really needed. IMHO of course, please feel free to ignore ;)

sorry guys I thought I'd posted replies! The grain was deliberate Iain, I was going for the goth metal look :LOL:

thanks again for the crit :clap:

I got the idea to do hot and cold taps but I couldn't find separate ones anywhere - they're all mono mixer types nowadays

well, today I was meeting a colleague at Ockham Bites on the A3 in Surrey (to hand over security dongles) and in the toilets I found these beauties

not quite what I was hoping for - I wanted the ones with 'hot' and 'cold' written on the tops, but I am happy enough to have found these :)

taken on the hop (imagine the looks if anyone came in) handheld and in quite a dark room - so high ISO lots of grain but not too bad

I thought about doing some pp to enhance the grubby worn look but decided they looked ok as they were, I have sharpened and straightened but otherwise OOC

week 37 - duo by moominmama, on Flickr

thanks DK - picasa does weird things to my RAW files but as you said I liked this as it was so didn't fiddle :)

Nice one. I like the pp but I can't help thinking about you in the toilets getting nervous at the slightest noise thinking someone is about to walk in :LOL:

thanks Peter - no pp applied tho :)

Hi, Summer, Duo, wb needs sorting for me, too yellow. I'm on my phone so can't see much detail. On theme, but the distracting bg, near rh side is an issue. Might prefer if it was face on.

Cheers

thanks Andy - it probably looks better on a monitor :LOL: - I did take some face on shots but wasn't happy with them - I will upload my B&W face-on shot to flickr

thanks Michael :)

first attempt at this kind of thing - Flow

I felt like it needed some colour so I boosted the sat way up - there are B&W versions on flickr

week 38 - flow by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi

Duo- I like this idea. I like the grimy feel and the dof and angle illustrate the theme well. Perhaps a little 'cream' rather than white, but only minor point as the grimy feel is more important

Flow - good idea and well set up.

I like the reflections in the glass, altho perhaps a little dark, and the liquid flow is good. Quite like the lighting of the backdrop but a bit too niosy for me partic as the bottom right is pixellated into green and red squares.

ah sorry bout that Alan, your monitor must be better than mine - but I took sat up to maximum :p

will check it on my HD later and maybe reduce the sat

I took the pic outside so light is au natural

I like the idea very clever :clap: would take a bit off the right hand side so the glass is not so central took a look at the b+w too works as well .

thanks Allan, not sure why the glass being central is a problem though, I think this sort of set up needs to be central :)

Hi Summer...not forgotten you just been a bit slack in commenting , sorry:crying:

Duo....you've captured the grimy feel perfectly though can't help wondering about the WB...you mentioned the noise so thats that , given how tight a space I suspect you were in I think you got the best angle (y)

Flow.....crikey I'm dim.....can't figure out how you did this :LOL: As a 1st attempt I think you've well , far better than I could have, though I'd not have had the imagination to come up with the idea in the 1st place :shake:
Think you may have upped the sat too much....most of the RHS appears pixelated on my screen, lots of reds showing up . I too would be tempted to crop a smidge from the RHS, not sure on the focus....I want the liquid to be sharper..but still mahooosively better than I could have done (y)

been looking at the wb aspect of duo again - is it not that the room is dingy with just a bare bulb, and I didn't use a flash? To me it looks like the colour in the room so doesn't look wrong?? - Am going to replace the glass with a less sat'd one though :LOL:

thanks guys - don't know why the error message is there - will try uploading it again :)

PS for Andy - my hubby doesn't waste red wine - I could have tried food colouring though :banana:

thanks Marsha - the glass was hung from a garden chair which was stood on the garden table :)

week 39 - friendship

The Victorians liked to represent friendship with a hand, hence claddagh rings etc.

my idea was to recreate the common-market 50p coin with QE II's hand (9 hands in a circle) which was quite a memorable event when I was a child.

in reality I couldn't find enough volunteers at work - but I was pleased to get any. So not as good as I'd want - too many shadows, nail polish and watches etc. But I thought it was enough that they agreed to take part lol

so even though I used ladders, it was still little more than a quick snap!

week 39 - friendship by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
thanks Robert :)

yep - polished nails belong to a temp in purchasing, her hand rests on her Chinese colleague's hand - the bejeweled hand is the girl who hands out our wage slips (VIP hands), then another temp in purchasing and his hand rests on the IT fella's hand. I really wanted to get some international hands but Bei was the only one from overseas in the office today.

Hi, Friendship, good idea. Composition is nice and the b&w works well for me. Bit more contrast, maybe? Being critical, it's what we're here for :)' I'd rather the watch wasn't in the photograph.

Cheers.

she almost took it off but I said I could just clone it out lol, tbh I was more worried about them changing their minds - I just wanted to get the shot asap

thanks Peter, I was pleased with it too considering it was a 'snap'. You can also see in the exif data that after taking my snap I took less than 20 mins to put the ladders away, download the pic from cf card, process and upload to Flickr :LOL: just call me speeeeeedy :p

Back