Migrant Hawker in flight

Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of sunshine on Saturday helped lift the recent gloom, managed a few Migrant Hawkers in flight.

I was using a combination of manual and auto focus, and numerous expletives :D

D700 200-400f4 1/1000 sec f7.1

316_074.jpg

316_079.jpg

316_069.jpg

Wow!
I love the "X" wing pattern in the last one, brilliant shot - I know how much of a pain they are to capture.

Cheers Gavin, I was lucky to catch the last one with the "X" wing position as you cannot see them moving through the viewfinder.

That first one is bloody brilliant (y)
and well caught on the X-Wing, fluke or no fluke (y)

not bad

superb

i was going to ask how you did it,i havent been swearing must be where i go wrong? :thinking:

I was using a combination of manual and auto focus, and numerous expletives

not bad

superb

i was going to ask how you did it,i havent been swearing must be where i go wrong? :thinking:

I was using a combination of manual and auto focus, and numerous expletives

It is easier against a plain background than it is with reeds etc beyond the dragonfly.

I pre-focused on an area where the dragonfly had been frequenting, just to get in the right ball park with regard to focus, this helps locating it in the viewfinder, once I have it (usually a blur) I would get rough focus manually, then blip the autofocus button to fine tune.

I always use back button focusing, focus is disabled with the shutter release button, this stops the camera locking onto something just beyond the dragonfly at the moment the shutter is pressed.

The expletives are optional :D

Superb captures. They certainly aren't easy to capture in flight based on my own experience, so great job! Lovely colours too.

Like that last one. The dragonfly is turning towards the camera. Look at the body. In general the head is always parallel to the ground and doesnt turn to the side.

Cracking set Martyn, just a bit outside your usual subject, so very well done.
I am however surprised, I just cant imagine you, such a gentleman, using expetives :naughty:, but then perhaps it a part of the Nikon users compliment of kit :D, something I must try, and see if it works for me :)

Seriously though, number 1 and 3 for me, they look just spot on (y)

Brilliant! Reminds me of the Apache with the X-wings at this years RIAT.

Back