weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Really nice pic cant really fault it, nice composition with the way the water is running :clap:

Hi Robert

I really have a soft spot for long expoure water images so your is a winner for me straight off (y) Like the detail in the rocks ,the fact they are wet adds to the image,I'd be tempted to crop the lower rocks so the image ends in the pool of water ? You've got a lovely angle that llows the eye to follow the flow nicely & expoure looks spot on...something I struggle with when a scene has very dark & very lights area's........nice shot mister :clap:

I like the composition, and I can't argue that the water doesn't look good :) altho I prefer to see the water 'frozen' in place with a fast shutter :LOL: typical of me to be the opposite to everyone else, so contrary - sorry, that's opinion not crit so ignore it, lovely shot :)

Thank you everyone.

Week 39 Friendship

My partners dog, Spike. Every time I walk through the door he acts like a long lost friend. Loyal and a great friend.

week39friendship by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

I took this with a flash shot through an umbrella. (Not sure that made any difference to the end product to be honest)!

Last edited:
'Ello, Flow, liking it. Did you use a polariser? Because the water on the rocks looks great.

Good composition, filling the frame, and well exposed. Quite often I note that people, me included, go to the extremes and expose too long.

Crit, well just be few leaves on the fg rocks.

Friendship, viewed while in the middle of a wood, with my camera, I must add, and wasn't sure, but now at home I like it. The dogs head and face really do suggest friendship. I'd like to see a bit more oomph in the colours.

Oh, and get them Lacey's tied ;)

Cheers.

Dog owner too so says friendship to me especially with the dog looking at you his expression says it all.

Thank you. Yes, on closer inspection it is a bit soft.

I should have paid more attention. Duly noted for future reference. :)

Good work Robert, bang on theme (y)
I feel the photograph tells a story, the composition of Spike looking up at you really nails it. Beyond whats already been mentioned, I don't have anything to add Robert.
Spike looks quite a character too :)

I can't add anything to what's been said... it works, fits the theme, the colours suit... :clap:

Good stuff. Thanks everyone.

This week has been hectic. I've been trying to do some work on a photography project for my Sons football club and nearly every spare minute has been spent stretching my wee brain cells to their limit.

Then, this weeks theme. More brain cell stretching. I couldn't thing of anything that would work and then, when I told my Son about this weeks project, the wee fella came up with Traffic Lights. Perfect. At the top of the road, there's the Outer Ring which is where I got my first theme (Direction) photograph.

So today I went up the top of the road and found a spot where I could get the traffic lights and a tree's leaves changing colour.

For this I stood in the middle of the carriageway (off the road) with the camera on a tripod. I took a number of shots with the lights at their different colours.

I used photoshop to layer the images and rubbed out the top of each layer so the lights were all light in the photograph. I then did a bit of dodging on the tree to bring out the golden colours and a bit of burning on the sky to bring out the blue.

I als ohad to remove a great big street light right in the middle of the shot.

I noticed that some of you have been doing SOOC! Oops!

Of all the weeks when I could of used a shot SOOC this week I couldn't.

Must try harder!

week40change by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert,

Friendship, dogs are so loyal, this shot shows that perfectly(y) I like the colour of this shot too, the texture in the wall looks good too.

Change, what a simple idea(y) Although it's not the most exciting of shots, sorry! Perhaps shooting up and close, at a quirky angle at the lights would have given it something :thinking: Saying that your SOOC shot shows how good a job you've done a cloning out that lamp post behind :clap:

It is a bit boring isn't it?

This where i always seem to fall, composition.

Really need to work on that.

Nice one to fit the theme. I like your thinking and the execution isn't too shoddy either. I even like the fact it's a green arrow rather than a full circle.

An excellent idea for the theme, and it fits really well.. Cracking job on cloning out that lamppost too. I agree it could do with something to give it some interest, but I've got a lot like that ;)

Good job and well cloned. I saw something similar in a Brian Peterson book where he did a long exposure and managed to get all three lights in one exposure.

Cheers and might give this a try ;)

Nice work on the pp but the pic is not really doing it, good idea good thinking behind it, I see the lights and the tree but it still seems a bit empty.

Hi Robert

Change - I had the same idea but have not yet posted my outcome. Trying to get something different from leaves changing has been difficult. I am sure that submissions for this theme would have been different if it had been pulled out of the hat in July.

I actually like the composition in the pp'ed one. Good position of tree and post and empty road. All has a still quality to it. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are having to take a shot 'to order' and I am sure that you would not have chosen to take a shot of traffic lights if it were not for the theme.

Thanks everyone for the honest critique. One of the many things I love about these forums.

It really does help.

Hi Robert

do you give lessons in cloning stuff out ? To me thats a seriously impressive bit of pp :clap: I like the shot , very well processed , 2 elements of change ...neat work mister , a big (y) from me

Natural...sometimes themes you'd think would be easy turn out to be the hardest....I like your image , find it calming & restful...easy on the eye (y)

it's a lovely shot, really says natural to me :clap:

For a week where you've really struggled Robert, you've come up with a nice result... The colours are strong, I like the cloud above, and it fits the theme nicely... it just seems to me to be missing something... not sure what... sorry

Agree with everyone above the colour is very good and it fits the theme well

As ever, thank you everyone for your time.

Week 42 Age.

I thought about trying for a tree, but seeing how others had done this, I looked to something else. I came up with placing my Son's hand over mine showing his young fresh hand over my old, withering hand.

I shot with an off camera flash, bounced off a brolly, to the front, with a heavy 6,400 ISO and Photoshop to give it some grittiness.

week42age by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Back