weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

Good point on the watch from everyone else. I like the image otherwise, really nice idea as soon as I saw it I knew I'd seen similar images in carvings etc great idea and well done getting everyone to contribute.

thanks guys, it's amazing what you can do in a half hour lunch break lol

Hi Summer

Friendship - great idea and spot on the theme.

You have indicated that it is a 'snap' but I don't see how that can be. You had the idea, recruited the people, arranged the composition, decided the lighting (handled pretty well in the workplace circumstances), stood on the ladder(!) and took the shot. In my book that is not a snap.

It is a very imaginative idea, well executed :clap:

thanks Alan, tho I meant snap as in didn't arrange light or anything, and I only took 2 shots lol, when I get my camera out at work people hide from me ha ha

Hi Summer, apologies I haven't been posting much but am on a bit of a catch up tonight.
Flow, I really like this photograph. I particularly like the idea behind it. These type of images that really grab the viewer in that they have to study it to work out whats going on, fantastic (y)
There's not really anything i would change about it. Good work :)

Friendship, I can see where you are coming from calling it a snap but who says nailing your objective in a couple of frames isn't achieveable? You came up with the idea, rounded up your subjects, climbed the ladder Bingo! Great outcome, technically very good too (y) I did something similar with my 2010 52, HERE me and my family. :)

thanks DK and Iain, I was pleased with how it turned out in the end, wasn't expecting such a nice shot :)

thanks guys - but no cropping allowed this week :) makes it quite difficult tbh :p

week 41 - natural

(shot in natural light also)

week 41 - natural by moominmama, on Flickr

cinnamon is a spice obtained from the inner bark of Cinnamomum trees.

Last edited:
Natural - wow!
Great photo - I had no idea what on earth it was until scrolled down. Was almost disappointed! - because I imagined it was something much bigger. OOF background id great and I still can't work out what it is. Love the fact it is almost mono - grey gold and blue only.

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure whether to go for the 'long shot' looking along the length of it, or whether to go from the top (this one). If you search for cinnamon on wikipedia you can see what it actually looks like :)

thanks Bilko - it's a long cinnamon stick in a clear glass bottle on a paving slab outside :)

Change - Lovely colour tones here Summer, good work SOOC, but how's about an edited version too? I am sure there is more to be had from the image as good as it is SOOC, a little boost would really lift it.

Natural - quite an abstract feel to this one, I'd never guess what it was :thinking: I really do like these shallow dof/lovely bokeh images and you haven't disappointed here. Iain

I wouldn't have guessed what this was. I really do like the image. I'm not sure about the suggestion of a closer crop though. I'd maybe go for a crop that pushes the subject onto a vertical third as well as the horizontal one.

I'm not sure about the suggestion of a closer crop though. I'd maybe go for a crop that pushes the subject onto a vertical third as well as the horizontal one.

:thinking: crop or not.

For me, the BG doesn't really add to the photograph, yet takes up 40% of the frame. Change, in this photograph, is the changing colours of the fern.

Cheers.

Sorry Andy I've now realised you were commenting on Change for which I agree a tighter crop would be better (as per my post about that one). What are your thoughts on Summer's Natural shot?

Sorry Andy I've now realised you were commenting on Change for which I agree a tighter crop would be better (as per my post about that one). What are your thoughts on Summer's Natural shot?

(y)

I'm still ruminating to be honest. I often look and come back to photographs once I've viewed a few times so I can do them justice.

Cheers.

I like it couldn't make out what it was but as a photo its interesting and thats a winner for me :clap:

ach you guys are confusing me lol, I agree with the crop comments for the change shot, although it was sooc week so I won't be changing it here (maybe on flickr)

but thanks for your comments about change and natural :) :)

Hi Summer

Change - very good shot for SOOC. Muted colours and the droop on the leaves indicative of the time of year.

I think that you have also perfectly illustrated the value of pp because i am sure that normally you would want to crop and exclude some of the extraneous elements, but this is so hard to do through the viewfinder without taking a lot of time and trouble. Also the time that we can spend on pp is so much greater and we can try different crops, colours etc. So well done on both fronts with your SOOC shot.(y)

Natural - good idea, well handled . Again nice muted, simple colour palette and good focus and dof. My taste would be a for a slightly tighter crop but with the relative position of the stick the same

thanks DK and Alan

have to say that the SOOC was much harder than I expected. I hardly do any pp so I thought it would be easy, but not being able to crop or straighten was very restrictive. A good learning tool though, and that's why we're all here :banana:

Nice shot there. It demands attention and makes you look twice- I got the bootle but I thought it was some kind of chocolate stick!!

Hi Summer

SOOC.....lovely colors & great contrast with the darker trees in the BG.....not sure if it's due to being SOOC but seems slightly soft ?

Natural.....great angle , fab use of DOF....that would look good framed in a kitchen , possibly as a montage of similar items :clap:

thanks Bob and Lynne, still wondering about 'age' lol

Hi Summer
Sorry not been able to review lately, personal problems meant a back seat to the forum.

Up – like the symmetry in this shot and the plane is a good addition.
Duo – I think the B/W makes this a better shot, colour seems out for white basin
Flow – good idea, well executed. Better in B/W
Friendship – Another lovely shot, works well in B/W
Change – Good take but feel the BG takes something away from this shot. Perhaps a blue sky or darker BG would have brought out the colours better.
Natural – I love this shot. Thought it may have been an ear ring at first. Great focussing and use of simple BG

thanks John, I appreciate you going through them all :) hope things are better with you and yours :)

so, on to AGE. How do you work out the age of a tree?

I would have preferred a slice of tree, but limited resources meant I had to use an old fence.

week 42 - age by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
Age - I like that. Good swirl evoking movement, drawing the eye to the knot.

Spot on theme. Age both in terms of the way that a one can measure the age of a tree and the bleached out nature of aged wood in a fence panel.

Not sure abut the lime green colour at bottom. Other greens ( presumably lichen) don't seem too out of place. Also rhs looks a bit oof, partic bottom right.

Good idea for theme.

yeah I could see the oof but it started raining so I might try again tomorrow. The lime green looks quite dull on my monitor - I did apply quite a lot of sat to bring out the browns. I would have liked to crop out more of the bad stuff but then I'd lose too much - maybe a reshoot :)

thanks for commenting - good crit too :banana:

Back