weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

hmmm, maybe I'll try it with a larger f number. Just need some sunshine :)

lol, I didn't think you were, I know my monitor is rubbish so my pp sometimes comes out poor :)

Sorry but have to agree with Nathalie it does look out of focus to me too great idea though (y)

I agree about the focus I'm afraid but I think this is the type of subject that can fool the eye. Compositionally pleasing with the off centre approach and a nice flash of brown flowing over the top of the knot.

thanks guys

well I took some more today - I will sort them out later. I think I got too close to the subject on the one above so I didn't zoom in this time. Also used f10 so hope it worked better :)

ok so it didn't make much difference. I think it's something to do with the contrast, or maybe the wood is so old it just looks like that. So I decided to do a wider view which I think is better tbh

week 42 reshoot - AGE by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
That seems much sharper but you are right about the textures colours and pattern seems to do something to the look of the image. It is better wider

thanks guys :)

do you think the bit at the top is distracting? Wasn't sure if it added anything, but a bit hard to remove.

thanks DK :)

Thanks Alan :)

Hi Summer :wave:
I like both versions to be honest :LOL:
The first one for the close composition and detail. It looks like an eye to me, i particularly like the flowing grain to the wood and the colour tones. It is very pleasing on my eye to look at.
The second one for differing reasons, the wider view obviously gives a greater sense of context. I don't find the upper part at all distracting, if anything it adds to the image interest.
Iain

Hi Summer, sorry behind again :bonk:

Change, very beautiful colours but agree about a bit of a crop, although I am aware it was SOOC so I see why you didn't.

Natural, I love the DOF and the really simple idea:clap: I would never have guessed cinnamon and I use it in cooking!

Age, I stalked some tress and failed! I actually prefer the original shot with the closer crop!

thanks Marsha & Iain. You know I've only just noticed that the knot also has rings like a trunk ha ha

well. it's Saturday again - still get excited :banana:

Hi Summer

why didn't I think of that for AGE :bonk: #2 shot for me....focus is much better , lovely tones & lines in the wood with the bonus of a knot....:clap:

ps...meant to say that I suspect mono would work well on that as well...possibly a little more abstract

Last edited:
hi Lynne, I did try mono but it looked a bit dull, I think the colours make the picture for this one :)

so, week 43 - spread. I wanted to do a proper tarot spread but my table wasn't big enough, and I doubt the lens wide enough either :LOL:

so here we have a spread of cards, not any old cards, tarot cards. when the crads are read they are laid out in a specific way and this is called a spread. So double spread for me :)

and I got away with heeding models!

week 43 - spread by moominmama, on Flickr

Hi, Age # 1 for me. If find the knot in #2 just too small. Lovely textures and colours in both, especially the redish colours. Nice flowing lines in both. I'd like to see #1 with better focus, I have to say.

Spread, cracking idea and not one I thought of. Bottom looks über black but on my iPad I can see a red tinge on the upper section. You do realise that by not having the cards evenly spread, there are a few members who are going to be going, "eeeekkkkk!".

Cheers.

excellent idea :clap: I do think when the theme is announced what am I going to do and then people come in with entries and I think to myself why didn't I think of that

thanks guys - my 1st thought was butter lol, then I thought I'd never get anything, but then ideas started pouring in - though a lot of them needed nice weather and/or models.

1. girl in a floating skirt spinning so the skirt spreads out
2. girl with a fan spread open (you know, victorian/oriental style fans to cool you down)
3. peacock tail feathers spread (need a helpful peacock)
4. making the bed - spread the sheet high into the air above the model's head
5. similar to 4 but a picnic blanket in a field
6. someone on the ground with arms and legs spread - snow angel style (needs snow)

etc etc :LOL:

Good one for the theme. I can see the red that Andy has spotted but feel the composition of being even left to right works for the subject. Good exposure of whites against the dark background.

thanks guys, the cards were on a red cloth. I desaturated the image and increased the shadows which made the bg darker. This is why some red still shows on better monitors. I usually just fiddle with things until they look right, so please don't ask me why I did it like that cos my answer will be 'because it looked better' lol

sturisoma said:
1. girl in a floating skirt spinning so the skirt spreads out
2. girl with a fan spread open (you know, victorian/oriental style fans to cool you down)
3. peacock tail feathers spread (need a helpful peacock)
4. making the bed - spread the sheet high into the air above the model's head
5. similar to 4 but a picnic blanket in a field
6. someone on the ground with arms and legs spread - snow angel style (needs snow)

etc etc :LOL:

:LOL: at least you're spoilt for ideas!

I like the spread of cards, although I'd like to see them all in focus, or maybe just the top one :thinking:

Tarot cards give me the heebeejeebies though, I don't know why!

thanks Marsha and DK

I grew up with it Marsha, my mother currently reads tarot in Blackpool. I don't believe in it though, my brain is far too scientific for mumbo jumbo. I do however believe in telepathy! I've seen my mother give messages to people from their dead relatives (like Doris Stokes) and she was spot on - I know there was no trickery, and her answers were detailed and accurate. I personally believe clairvoyants are telepathic. Just need a scientific explanation for telepathy and I'm sorted. I've also experienced so called ESP so I know 'something' is happening, I just don't think it's spirits :p

Hi Summer
Age - I prefer your first image for the wood grain and colour but is OOF. Second does not have the same impact although a good shot. On theme which is importannt.

Not into Tarot but the cards are definately spread. Agree with others that all black BG would have been ideal but the lighting and focus is good

It's all spooky stuff! I don't believe in it as I've never experienced anything like that, I too like to understand stuff scientifically. However I have friends that have seen ghosts, dreamed of events before they happened and experienced ESP!

Makes me very wary in anything that dabbles in it!

thanks John and Alan :)

I might start a thread in oof about all this spooky stuff lol

A good take on the theme Summer (y)
The red/black background doesn't bother me at all, if anything it adds a little depth to the image rather than having the cards floating on a pure black background (now that would be spooky :LOL:)

I would like to see more of the cards as they look very interesting graphics.

On a completely random note, my art teacher at school ahem :whistle: about 30years ago designed the tarot cards that were used in a James Bond film, Live and Let Die I think it was. Told you that was random ;)

Iain

I love random facts like that Iain :)

once again Marsha has given me food for thought :LOL:

Hi Summer

Tarot cards & clairvoyancy fascinate me , been to a medium twice & both times what I was told both about me & what had/was happening were spookily accurate

My screen must be pants as I can't see any red bits , like the fan of the cards:) I too would like slight more DOF to have the whole of the 1st card in focus & my OCD has woken up & spotted a bit too muc of another card on show..sort of colored bit just over half way to the left ? Part form that , it's a winner for me (y)

thanks Lynne :)

anyway - in keeping with the Hallowe'en theme I went back to Combe Gibbet for this week - why? because it is a dual gibbet where a couple were gibbeted together. I also got my son and his dog to pose next to it - boy and dog - together :)

week 44 - together by moominmama, on Flickr

really nice pic could do without the border and it doesn't really say together at first till I read the explanation.

Back