weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Here we go then... a bit of a tenuous link, and as noted above, high ISO hasn't helped in my opinion

I got out for my Sunday walk this week as the weather was good at last, so this week just popped down to my local beach, just 5 mins walk away it delivered just what I was after

Sky, Sea, Sand Dunes and Scrub... Lots of S's together :D

Wk 44 - Together

Wk 44 - 'Together' by TP DK..., on Flickr

Last edited:
I see what you mean about the high ISO not helping. I did read somewhere a recommendation to reset all your settings every time you go out. I'm not convinced by that argument though. You could have added another S i.e. Sun for this one but I think the ISO has flattened the lighting somewhat.

I see what you mean about the high ISO not helping. I did read somewhere a recommendation to reset all your settings every time you go out. I'm not convinced by that argument though. You could have added another S i.e. Sun for this one but I think the ISO has flattened the lighting somewhat.
I agree mate.. have played about with it a lot, but it will have to do, that's the trouble with getting behind :help:

Here we go on to the next...

Spotted this while on the beach... well could not miss it really, I thought it looked like Nature creating Art, how the wood is so riven, the green of the moss and the splash of the wave

Wk 46 - Natures 'Art'

Wk 46 - 'Art' by TP DK..., on Flickr

Plenty of S's together there DK... it's a tough call, loss of quality due to noise, loss of quality due to NR ... I think you also lose dynamic range with higher ISO's (based on my reading on astrophotography). Still the colours work well together...

Art, I like that, interesting shadows across the wood too, the shape, patterns and splash give me a sense of cutting through the water, even though it's not.

everything has already been said about pack

at first look I thought Art was a huge rock nicely spotted

Hi DK, together is a little shoe horned into the theme I think! It's very scenic though, but I see what you mean about the loss of sharpness.

I never reset my camera, but I do (try) to check the settings before each use, but ISO does seem to slip my checks regularly! I learnt my lesson at the NMA in July whilst stalking bumble bees, after 20 minutes and lots of OOF shots I realised I had my camera in one shot (great for fidgety bees) the IS turned off after being used on a tripod and only set for single shots. No wonder all my shots were pants:bonk:

Art, I thought it was a rock too! Nature moulds some amazing creations and the sea adds artistic effect with every wave(y)

Plenty of S's together there DK... it's a tough call, loss of quality due to noise, loss of quality due to NR ... I think you also lose dynamic range with higher ISO's (based on my reading on astrophotography). Still the colours work well together...
Thanks John... something was bound to have to give... in poor light 1600 would have been fine but in such light... crap !!!!!

Art, I like that, interesting shadows across the wood too, the shape, patterns and splash give me a sense of cutting through the water, even though it's not.
Thanks mate :)

everything has already been said about pack

at first look I thought Art was a huge rock nicely spotted
Hey Allan... Cheers

Once agin some awesome work DK , ART is a corker, loving the wave splash
Hi Vince - Thanks :)

Nice level horizon. Well you know what we're all like on TP. I'm with Allan - at first glance I thought it was a rock.
Oh hell yes... I have met the TP Horizon police :cautious:

Hi DK, together is a little shoe horned into the theme I think! It's very scenic though, but I see what you mean about the loss of sharpness.
Just a little shoe horned :D

I never reset my camera, but I do (try) to check the settings before each use, but ISO does seem to slip my checks regularly! I learnt my lesson at the NMA in July whilst stalking bumble bees, after 20 minutes and lots of OOF shots I realised I had my camera in one shot (great for fidgety bees) the IS turned off after being used on a tripod and only set for single shots. No wonder all my shots were pants:bonk:
Hahaaaaa... yeah I should check on the quick screen, really don't know why I didn't, I had gone in and changed the Focus from Servo to 1 shot... Live and learn (y)

Art, I thought it was a rock too! Nature moulds some amazing creations and the sea adds artistic effect with every wave(y)
That's what I thought... Thanks :)

Ooops moments, we have all been there lol! I have left some settings and ended up shooting at 6400 and 1 stop of exposure compensation, quite a few pics looking rather erm, rough!

Together, I like the thinking and I think it fits the theme just fine. Art, an interesting take on the theme. not much longer to go now!

HI DK, catch up time :)

Age; I can't work out which I prefer, but probably the lone track. It contrasts nicely with the shingle.

Spread; nice one! The density of leaves is just right (must have taken you ages to lay them all out? ;)). and the colours are great.

Together; not sure. It's nicely composed, but needs the description to get the theme from it (I think your interpretation needed something to tie the three together, though god knows what!), and the colours look a little washed out to me?

Art; fantastic! Natural art - I honestly can't fault it, other than maybe the shadows need bringing out a little?

Together - looks a lovely spot! Would like to have that on my walking route! I go out with all sorts of setting on my camera, in fact I hardly check anything and just expect the camera to know what I am thinking!!

Art - nature is art, I am forever amazed with what we see and what nature delivers :) (y)

Hi Dk

Together.....all's been said but the location has great potential for a wonderful sunny day ot a stormy early evening if you get the chance

ART...yup , I thought it was a rock formation as well...I'de be tempted to clone out the little boat on the rhs horizon (which it must be said is ever so straight :)) & possibly do some more pp to it to try n bring out the textures & colors & clouds in the sky...another shot with great potential (y)

HI DK, catch up time :)
Hi Mark

Age; I can't work out which I prefer, but probably the lone track. It contrasts nicely with the shingle.
Cheers

Spread; nice one! The density of leaves is just right (must have taken you ages to lay them all out? ;)). and the colours are great.
Hahaaaaa :LOL: I did feel they looked well spaced, purely natural :)

Together; not sure. It's nicely composed, but needs the description to get the theme from it (I think your interpretation needed something to tie the three together, though god knows what!), and the colours look a little washed out to me?
Yes mate... very washed out and a slightly obscure connection to the theme :geek:

Art; fantastic! Natural art - I honestly can't fault it, other than maybe the shadows need bringing out a little?
I'll have a look at that mate... thanks for the in depth feedback - appreciated (y)

Together - looks a lovely spot! Would like to have that on my walking route! I go out with all sorts of setting on my camera, in fact I hardly check anything and just expect the camera to know what I am thinking!!
Me Too :LOL:
Yeah that is a lovely spot, I'm spoilt for seaside shot so close, yet rarely go there, I guess we all do the same where we live

Art - nature is art, I am forever amazed with what we see and what nature delivers :) (y)
Cheers Alex :)

Hi Dk

Together.....all's been said but the location has great potential for a wonderful sunny day ot a stormy early evening if you get the chance
Hi Lynne :)
Very true, I should go there on a stormy day - great thinking (y)

ART...yup , I thought it was a rock formation as well...I'de be tempted to clone out the little boat on the rhs horizon (which it must be said is ever so straight :)) & possibly do some more pp to it to try n bring out the textures & colors & clouds in the sky...another shot with great potential (y)
Ooo I didn't spot a boat, isn't that amazing :LOL:

I did get thises up quick as not to be too far behind, rather than spend time PP'ing about with them, I think I will do a re-shoot of the 2 this weekend - WITH the correct settings... weather permitting that is (y)

Cheers for all the comments guys n gals :):)

Hi Dean, long time no see ;)
Art, well spotted, it didn't say art straight away to me but with a little explanation, I see where you are coming from.
As someone already mentioned above, it looks as though it is cutting through the water which gives a great sense of movement. Technically very good, you've not lost any detail in the dark wood against the bright background.
I am not sure if this would suit a B&W treatment but it would lose the subtle green tones :thinking:
Good catch up though (y)
Iain

Hi Dean, long time no see ;)
Art, well spotted, it didn't say art straight away to me but with a little explanation, I see where you are coming from.
As someone already mentioned above, it looks as though it is cutting through the water which gives a great sense of movement. Technically very good, you've not lost any detail in the dark wood against the bright background.
I am not sure if this would suit a B&W treatment but it would lose the subtle green tones :thinking:
Good catch up though (y)
Iain
Cheers Iain :)

Yes mate very long time no see, hoping you can make London so we can have a beer :)

Hi DK

Together - all has been said

Art - like that a lot. Like the comp and the colours but what makes it for me is the splash of the waves (mentioned by others) making it look like a submarine diving or surfacing.
Hi Alan... thanks mate :)

Hi Dean,

Together - After reading your thoughts behind it, I get the connection to the theme. It's a nice image, but I wonder if tighter crop at the bottom would improve it (I don't feel this area adds to the image). Also, as a suggestion, I think a long exposure would have worked very well here... smooth water and movement in the grass and shrubs.

Art - An interesting subject for sure. With the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you'd done a long exposure here, I think the 'art' would have stood out more. I would have preferred less shadows, but it's not like you can just move the sun around in the sky to a position that suits you, so...

Hi Dean,

Together - After reading your thoughts behind it, I get the connection to the theme. It's a nice image, but I wonder if tighter crop at the bottom would improve it (I don't feel this area adds to the image). Also, as a suggestion, I think a long exposure would have worked very well here... smooth water and movement in the grass and shrubs.
Ahhhhh... thanks Nat, a great Idea :)

Art - An interesting subject for sure. With the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you'd done a long exposure here, I think the 'art' would have stood out more. I would have preferred less shadows, but it's not like you can just move the sun around in the sky to a position that suits you, so...
And again, I really must try that, i'll see what the weather is tomorrow or the weekend - appreciate the comments/suggestions :)

guess not Iain ...

Well this was going to be my entry (a few weeks ago when I was struggling to keep up) - I plan to get a different shot in the next couple of days...

The next step for this little piggy..... a "Pack" of scrummy Bacon

Week 45 "Pack"

Wk45 'Pack' - Alternate shot by TP DK..., on Flickr

Ooh that's cruel! I like it though; good eye contact and nicely exposed. Slight shame about the wires, but there's not a lot you could have done about that.

When it comes to bacon there ain't no cruel. I'd have that pig in a big blanket faster than you could huff and puff...:D

On theme as nowt to add that Mark hasn't (y)

Cheers.

Ooh that's cruel! I like it though; good eye contact and nicely exposed. Slight shame about the wires, but there's not a lot you could have done about that.
Thanks Mark :)

I did think about cloning the wires out, but seems I'm going to do another shot I couldn't be arsed

When it comes to bacon there ain't no cruel. I'd have that pig in a big blanket faster than you could huff and puff...:D

On theme as nowt to add that Mark hasn't (y)

Cheers.
Cheers Andy :)

Me too.... sooooo love the smell and taste of crispy bacon :drool:

Hi Dk

Posted at last eh? :D

Pack - good subject and shot in a particularly nice light. Good shot of the head and snout and good colours. Something a bit strange with the white bit in her right eye?

On theme.

Just 7 more :thinking:
Cheers Alan :)

7.... Blimey :D

Ok really... 4 in my PC (when it's working again), passing on the re-shoot, unless the weather is good on Monday *fingers crossed*

So that only leaves me Negative and Busy to do - so for me that's smallfry :LOL:

Excellent - good to see that you are not being Negative and keeping Busy !!

As you were the 2nd person to comment on my thread in Jan 2012 and have kept up the comments I feel that it is my calling to get you to the end :D

Come on you can do not many left now
:D Cheers Guys... I do feel very refreshed for it - shame my PC has let me down, but I'll do the last 2 and post the other 4 when it's fixed

Really appreciate your encouragement (y)

I agree about the wires, but cloning would have been a faf!

posiview said:

:LOL: Andy, have to say I feel the same! Still trying to find a way round explaining to my kids that we eat pigs, yes Peppa is a pig, awkward!

Oh and I never knew there was a :drool: emoticon!

DK I just had a thought, wondered if you've started your PC with a card reader plugged in? My brand new PC went tilt and wouldn't boot up when I left one plugged in to the monitor, it's like it was trying to boot from the card reader. Unplugged and it restarted fine!

I agree about the wires, but cloning would have been a faf!

:LOL: Andy, have to say I feel the same! Still trying to find a way round explaining to my kids that we eat pigs, yes Peppa is a pig, awkward!

Oh and I never knew there was a :drool: emoticon!

DK I just had a thought, wondered if you've started your PC with a card reader plugged in? My brand new PC went tilt and wouldn't boot up when I left one plugged in to the monitor, it's like it was trying to boot from the card reader. Unplugged and it restarted fine!
Thanks Marsha :)

Just tried the CF card out... didn't work, I was hopeful too :(

Pack – A like the connection you’ve made between the pig and the theme. As said it’s a pity about the fence but I don’t feel it’s too distracting

Have you tried putting a bootable Windows disc in the CD/DVD drive or even a bootable memory stick?

Back