weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Robert, the composition is excellent, lovely lines and textures. It fits the theme perfectly, and I like how you've processed it, to give it an aged feel... I'm not so sure it needed quite such a heavy noise/grittiness to it though.

Hi Robert, I don't know why but your natural shot makes me want to start singing the Telly Tubby song :LOL: Lovely colours, you can't believe that weather with the grey damp mist we have just now!

Age, nice composition and the concept fits the theme perfectly. I like the processing but I'm not sure on the sepia tone, your fingers look a little grey on the ends, but then I am looking on my phone!

Hi Robert

sorry to hear you've had bad news , hope you're ok & sending you a big :hug:

Liking you image for spread a lot...fab black BG, lovely lighting on the cracker & good DOF, little more light maybe on the butter but that's just my thought . Great picture none the less (y)

Hi Robert, sorry to hear you've had bad news, hugs to you and your family.

Nice detail on the cracker and the black background really works. The butter looks a little suspended in mid air though as the knife handle looks odd!

Well done for getting a shot in though.

Cracker is really well lit but as lynne has said more light on the butter and knife would have been good. Hope all is ok with you.

Sorry to hear the news Robert....

Really liking that, the black bg suits really well, and it's clear the intent is to spread.

The lighting on the butter/marg has been mentioned. How did you take the picture? Is the cracker lying directly on the black background or suspended mid air with the black background behind?

Thanks everyone.

Appreciate your kind words on what's been a tough time. Hardest thing has been having nobody to talk to. Never mind. Chin up and all that.

Last weeks shot was just shot on a black plate. I just increased the black in PS. Instead of using a flash, I used a basic lamp. One of two I bought from Ikea. Very basic, but they have clamps and I wanted to try and experiment with continuous light.

I got this weeks shot today while spending some precious time with my two Sons.

Just looking there, I think it's not level. I'll look again tomorrow.

Week 44 Together by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert, I'm sorry to hear that thing have been difficult for you recently.

I was hoping to get a shot of 2 people walking hand in hand and failed miserably. This is a lovely shot showing the love that brothers can have. I want to be walking with them so that I can hear what the eldest is saying to the youngest! We're lucky if our 2 teenage sons do more thank a grunt to each other!!:LOL:

Good shot Robert - bang on theme. Really good colours and you have caught the look of the older boy to the younger imparting knowledge or info or kindness or reassurance - lovely. (y)

As to straightness, perhaps slightly out although there are lots of 'sloping' elemnts in there: trees, footpath, hedge. Probably a straighten of the verticals of the window and the horizontal between brick and render would do it

I like the idea of the two lads together. I'd probably recommend a smaller DoF to take away the distraction of the background. I also think the two boys walking away probably works far better than them walking towards you.

Robert, it fits the theme nicely. I hope things are improving for you

Hi Robert, lovely shot that (y) I agree with Peter about a lower DOF to separate them from the background a bit. The yellow graffiti merging into the younger boys blonde hair bothers me a little, a lower shooting angle would have helped. But if I know children this was probably the only chance you got!

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your kind words.

I had the DOF as low as it could go (kit lens). Maybe try and see if I can get a 50mm after Christmas.

Week 45 Pack.

Late and in my opinion a poor effort. I couldn't come up with anything and so I just put a carrier bag on the table and took 4 shots of my hands with apples in different places, packing the bag.

I used layer masks in Photoshop to bring my four hands into the photo and brightened up the shots which were shot with a flash throught a brolly across from the table.

week45pack by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi, Robert, Together is a cracker, especially how oyur older son is looking caringly at the younger one. As Michael sai, a tad off the bottom would draw the eye quicker to the main focus points.

Pack, I haven't done multiplicity for a while and do like them. Nice clean photograph. I'd like a bit more depth and perhaps your hand holding the apples differently.

Regards.

Thanks. Appreciate your time.

Week 46 Art

Beacon of Hope.

I wanted to get this in the evening, but didn't get a chance, hopefully for a reshoot.

It's 20 metres tall and made from steel and bronze and reminds me of Iains (Blakester) wire work that he's used in his 52 for 2012.

week46art-s by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Hi Robert,

Pack, very clever PP skills(y) although around the edges of the edited hands some are a little transparent in places :eek:
I agree with Andy about maybe having the hands in different positions:thinking: I don't think it's a poor effort at all.

Art, I really like this, it's a sculpture and fits the theme with lovely blue sky (y) My only crit would be to clone out the two little pointy things (technical term) bottom left.

Hi Robert, catch up time!

Age is lovely; so simple yet so effective.

Spread is one of the best versions of the obvious interpretation I've seen.

Together; Wonderful! I like the angle of the larger lad's head that you've managed to capture.

Pack I'm not sure about. I mean it's very nicely taken shot, but it just looks a little contrived to me.

Art is a lovely shot with fantastic exposure, but I keep seeing it as a bird! I think a slightly different angle would have avoided that and shown it as what it really is. Still, even as a bird it's a lovely photo!

Hi Robert,

Art - Really liking the PoV here and the sky is good, too. Did you consider removing the buildings in the bottom left in pp? That's my only crit.

Hi Robert,

Apologies for not commenting sooner

Age - very nice skin tones and bang on theme, combination of nice lighting and processing too.

Pack - I like your strong composition, four hands one from each corner of the frame makes a very strong composition. Again, nice lighting too.

Art - Bang on theme, not too harsh natural lighting and a pleasing sky make for a nice image.

Hi Robert :wave:

hope things are picking up for you mister (y)

& stop doubting your work ! Pack may have been a desperation shot but you've pulled off it really well....great pp , great focus on all the apples & hands , good skin tones :clap: only wee niggle from me is the lighter patch on the table rhs...still a million times better than I'd ever manage though

ART...beautiful subject & really well shot ,good exposure , great detail in the sculpture , good work mister :clap::clap: Clone the pointy things out on the bottom edge & you've got a wall pring for sure (y)

Nice angle on art I'm amazed its 20 metres high amazing what you can do with a few coat hangers :clap:

Nice one Robert (y)
A lovely piece of art. Looks like it was a bright day and you've handled the exposure well. I think it would suit a B&W treatment, with its metallic tones.
Iain

Back