weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

Hi Summer,

Apologies for the not getting around here earlier....

Together - Very macabre but compelling, I really like the silhouette effect and it works very well.

Age - The knot makes a natural point of focus, nice image bang on theme. :)

Pack / Spread - Nice whites and strong blacks. I just wonder if the card would benefit from being in focus at the top as well as the bottom? That said, it does add an air of mystery so it sort of works for me.

Art - Graffiti artists do take their work really seriously. Indeed some have made a good living from it so this is bang on theme for me. Could also double up for colour for this week ! good depth of field for the subject :)

Hi Summer

great set of images for ART....#1 for me being the most evocative & poignant...well taken as well in what I suspect were less than ideal lighting conditions :clap:
#2...love the vibrancy of the artwork & the angle you've shot at (y)
#3....not for me this one...whilst I like the reflections in the puddles I find the actual graffiti lacking in oomph when compared to the 1st 2 images

& I think you're pretty darn brave venturing in to subways at night...hope you had friend with you ...I fancied doing the same thing but NOOOO WAYYYY would I venture into the local underpasses at night ( or even in the daytime come to think of it) round here without a body guard :LOL:

Hi Summer :wave:
#3 gets my vote too for art.
The lights are necessary IMHO to balance out the reflections. I do particularly like the perspective of looking along the tunnel almost to an infinity point. Good work (y)

You don't have any more taken this week do you?
Because as is always the way, this would fit nicely into this weeks theme too ;) Iain

thanks for the comments guys - quite a mixed bag there :)

our subways are surprisingly busy Lynne so not too scary, plus Basingstoke is the land of roundabouts so lots of choice, in fact from my house I can cycle to 4 lots of roundabouts in 10 mins lol

just to say that these are done by the local college (maybe the one Rodney went to in only fools and horses?) so not 'illegal' graffiti or anything.

I had a different idea for colour, but we'll see :)

ok colour

colour is the manifestation of the different frequencies of vibration of the atoms in light, which is interpreted by our brains after reacting with the cone cells in our retinas.

sun or strong light will be split into the different frequencies by any lens such as a prism, a glass of water or a raindrop

giving a rainbow

so I wanted a rainbow

plenty of rain but not so much sun

so tonight I resorted to creating my own rainbow :LOL:

not perfect cos my lighting assistant was getting bored, so this is the best of the bunch :)

week 47 - colour by moominmama, on Flickr

ahhh I could tell you Alan, but then I'd have to shoot you :p

believe it or not this was done using the multi-coloured LED aquarium lights. I actually removed them from the tank to do this ha ha (poor fishes)

I put the camera on F22, 100iso, shutter on bulb. I set up the focus and my hubby did a few practise runs so we could work out the rough path of his rainbow. Then I put the room lights out, opened the shutter, waited for him to do his arc, closed the shutter and voila :)

thanks for your comments too, it surprises me that some folk find light painting difficult, but I find it quite straight forward. But then there's loads of stuff I can't do - like proper multi exposure HDR :LOL:

anyway, no yellow cos they don't make yellow LEDs :p

Thats a lovely abstract picture and a nice explanation to why you did it.

thanks Allan, hope the science didn't bore you too much :LOL: - light and optics was my fave subject in physics :)

thanks Michael :)

ahhh I could tell you Alan, but then I'd have to shoot you :p

believe it or not this was done using the multi-coloured LED aquarium lights. I actually removed them from the tank to do this ha ha (poor fishes)

I put the camera on F22, 100iso, shutter on bulb. I set up the focus and my hubby did a few practise runs so we could work out the rough path of his rainbow. Then I put the room lights out, opened the shutter, waited for him to do his arc, closed the shutter and voila :)

thanks for your comments too, it surprises me that some folk find light painting difficult, but I find it quite straight forward. But then there's loads of stuff I can't do - like proper multi exposure HDR :LOL:

anyway, no yellow cos they don't make yellow LEDs :p

:LOL::LOL: great explanation.

Will have to have a go.

Hi, Summer, as ex forces it's Art #1 for me. Great art and great sentiment. Nice angle too.

Colour, simplicity at it's best, if you know what I mean. Almost looks like an overhead photograph of some oil paint on black card.

Cheers.

Hi Summer.

First I thought we were going to get a photo of vibrating atoms, then I saw the shot and thought t needed a much more careful hand creating the arc, then I looked some more and decided its perfect as it is. As Andy says, it's reminiscent of an artist's brush stroke on canvas :)

Andy, traffic warden does NOT count as "the forces", even if you did have a uniform!

Pack - Really good interpretation of the theme, as said already the crumpled look adds a lot to the shot. Well done
Art - #1 A great shot given the difficulty of lighting. #2 seems a bit over-exposed in places. Again difficult lighting, but love the feeling that makes you feel you're really there.
Colour - Like the idea for a rainbow. Very bright colours and well thought out

thanks for the comments guys :banana:

thanks Mike :)

Colour, :clap::clap:
I like this a lot Summer, simple as Andy mentioned but very effective.
I particularly like the abstract feel to it, it could be interpreted in a few ways.
Its one of those that needs a little bit of working out which is good. Iain

thanks guys, my hubby is feeling quite pleased with his light-painting 'talents' now lol

Hi Summer. Liking your art theme, I think #3 is the best from the ones you've taken. I do think it would have been better if you were standing dead center in the tunnel and perhaps a shallower depth of field. Nevertheless a good shot!

(It's always easy to criticise after the picture has been taken) :D

Hi Summer - jsut realised that I mised Art

Good attempts at difficult constrained sites and lighting.
#3 for me as the lighting is less intrusive and the colours more balanced and good reflection
#1 is a good subject for such a place but for me the light interferes too much. I wondered whether if the angle of the shot was the same as #2 and#3, the light would be less intrusive and the art more dominant? But that may have been impossible.

hi guys, this was the only angle to get the detail, unfortunately the poppy picture was only a small area right at the entrance, any other angle and you could hardly see it. There was a green flowery picture right next to it which didn't match at all so I really didn't want to get that in. I will take it at a different angle sometime to show you what I mean :)

thanks Peter - I love doing this sort of thing :)

so, week 48 - I do have a thing about shadows and already had lots in my 'portfolio' but it had to be a new pic so I managed to get this

taken by the light of the silvery moon

moonshadow - self-portrait too :LOL: - the pointy hat is my lovely warm fluffy nightgown

so, I have patio doors and stuff all along my back wall so not much choice for me to get a shadow. I tried this without the window frame but I think it needs it for context. It just looked like a blob without it (maybe it still does? ha ha)

so, what do you think?

week 48 - shadow by moominmama, on Flickr

Hi Summer, your science behind art makes sense, I'm hoping to see arise rainbow in a reshoot though ;) It's very clever though and I love the bright colours against the black background.

Shadow, I can see how the window frame helps with the overall shot, I think if you remove it it sort of looks like Darth Vadar :LOL: You're a bit bonkers creeping around in the moonlight in your nightgown though :eek:

Hi Summer. I'm not sure that I agree re the window in shot; I think it makes it a bit messy and snapshotty. I like the shape if the shadow, but think it needs less, not more, context to make it interesting.

Hi Summer
I like your shadow shot and see why the frame was left in, however the lightness seems to dominate. Perhaps you could tone down the RH side and tiles.

thanks for the comments guys - Marsha, you should have seen my hubby's face watching me creep about in the garden, was tres cold too

John - I think you're right, however my pp skills aren't up to dodging/burning etc, I can never remember which one is which :LOL:

overall I wasn't happy with the shot, I have much better moonshadows, but my rule is it has to be taken during the week of the theme si I'm happy that I met all my rules again :)

Hi Summer

Shadow - looks good to say that it was moonlight - I had no idea.

Agree with Marsha that the shape looks a bit like D Vader and a bit spooky. Because of that and your comment about context, I have put paper over my monitor and think that it would look better without the window and perhaps a bit more door, as if the figure were creeping up.

PS you have not updated your own title thread. It still says 'colour'. A few seem to have done this, probably because of the new posting to the other all pictures thread.

well done for getting a pic in the moonlight it does look like Darth Vader breaking into your house.

heh Darth Vader, now I could work on that :)

and thanks for reminding me Alan :)

Hi, there, Shadow. The window frame and the door frame to the left do frame the shadow, but the shadow feels too low to me.

It is a shadow, so on theme.

I have to say, I did find this theme deceptively hard:thinking:

Cheers.

thanks Andy - I am quite short but I wasn't kneeling :LOL: - pesky shadows

week 49 - glow

my light source was very poor so I had to do some cloning and so the circle is a bit ragged - might have to invest in a better light :LOL:

week 49 Glow by moominmama, on Flickr

Hi Marsha - I did it in Gimp and it looked perfect until I opened it in Picasa and it had gone all yukky. Have to say I can't see any grey on my monitor so will check on the touchpad later.

however I had a brainwave and did this - again, still learning PP :)

with a lil trickery by moominmama, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back