The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

i just used 2 B&W presets in lightroom

The first was "B&W Look 3" and the second "B&W Look 4" I preferred Look 4 earlier, but had a splitting headache so found it hard to look at 3, things have settled down now and i prefer that one :)

They don't really look like the classic IR image, you can kinda tell with the sky but the filter gives a little more contrast on the water i think.

Some X10 images from my explore today....

1) Next time someone recommends to avoid shooting into the sun, slap them!
i-DSg2bBb-M.jpg

2) My favorite from the set...
i-Z3D4TJN-M.jpg

3) Incredibly, this was taken from pretty much the same spot as the previous image, but in the other direction.
i-8KNCc53-M.jpg

4) Scotland in the Winter is prone to monumentally big showers with blue sky between them - when it isn't wall-to-wall rain :)
i-S3cppjn-M.jpg

5) Previous shot was the widest the X10 can zoom, this shot is the closest zoom from the same spot - I like both shots!
i-rW27v7C-M.jpg

6) Back at Mum's bay and another of those huge showers being lit by the setting sun.
i-brtkd8M-M.jpg

I've got c1 set for EXR sn, and c2 set for EXR dr - anyone know if its possible to change things like shutter speed/aperture with that setup?

I can put it into EXR sn say, and change aperture, but not apply this to the c1/2 settings?
If i want dynamic range, and an aperture around f5.6, i appear to be stuffed using the custom settings approach, yes?

I think 5 is great, Billy.

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of PP did you use (silverefex?), and what was the camera setup? (exr mode for dynamic range possibly?)

Cheers :beer:

From your fantastic Blackpool set I'm with the others - #5 (y)
Can I also echo the request for info on your processing as the tones in that B&W are perfect.

I shot in quite a few modes yesterday trying out the different modes, #5 was shot in AUTO EXR mode B&W in camera then processed in lightroom.
I also tried the in camera Dynamic mode, I wasn't impressed but I may have been the scene I shot.

In camera Dynamic mode.
DSCF6683_zpsc4d61ccb.jpg

Been down Ardnamurchan Point today, the most westerly land in the UK mainland - in a storm.
If you've been following this this thread then this next statement may mean something...
Compared to the Isle of Muck in January 2012, and other adventures...
I think I've taken my best ever wild sea piccies.

Nothing tonight - jam tomorrow.
But the piccies on my laptop are blowing me and my Mum away.
And of course, the camera of choice - Fuji X10 :D:D:D

Been down Ardnamurchan Point today, the most westerly land in the UK mainland - in a storm.
If you've been following this this thread then this next statement may mean something...
Compared to the Isle of Muck in January 2012, and other adventures...
I think I've taken my best ever wild sea piccies.

Nothing tonight - jam tomorrow.
But the piccies on my laptop are blowing me and my Mum away.
And of course, the camera of choice - Fuji X10 :D:D:D

:LOL:

Its the range rover of the camera world!

A couple from Porthcurno

Love that place!!! Porthcurno is crying out for a pano!

Billy - maybe Blackpool has an estuary near by? The Atlantic is usually very clear. Another example of Portcurno in the summer... I spearfish there and get 20m vis!

3754830550_31382e95eb_z.jpg

The thing with that bay is its almost horseshoe shaped but all the photos of it stretch it out, there must be a way of shooting it to give it something closer to its actual shape.

The thing with that bay is its almost horseshoe shaped but all the photos of it stretch it out, there must be a way of shooting it to give it something closer to its actual shape.

I won't be back there until the summer - but if you beat me to it - climb up the top of Logan's rock and shoot from there. A good pano will materialise and catch the horse shoe as you pan looking back along the rock outcrop all the way to the left and the Minock theatre in the distance :)

Jason that's a really good shot. To get the moon with that detail and yet capture the other areas of the photo in low light is amazing. I usually find the moon is to bright when I expose for the other darker areas or if the moon is exposed correctly the other areas of the shot are to dark. Nice one!

Leaving it to the last minute, my best X10 shot of 2012. Best for me because it successfully sums up a place I've been photographing recently rather than best as in as good as the pics being posted here recently.

DSCF5370.jpg

Happy new year everyone. :)

Love this shot - it's a tad heavy on the PP but great perspective and so much interest in the shot. It's a top (y) from me :)

The shot is straight out of the camera shot in advanced mode using dynamic mode, I think it vastly over does it but then again it's only a gimmick.

Well Happy New Year everyone :D

Felt my first post of 2013 better start as I mean to continue so here's some shots from around Seoul in Korea.

Unfortunately I'm noticing real stitching issues with my panos now. Didn't have that before so I'm guessing it's something to do with a software update between version .2 and .3.

Panos

8317871726_840bf36633_c.jpg

8316902161_8d9d61148f_c.jpg

8318142816_9747ee6243_c.jpg

8317088023_af2e1d8864_c.jpg

8318157338_744572294e_c.jpg

8317104175_efe08cf880_c.jpg

8318283442_65f971dfcb_c.jpg

8317379437_2614056fcd_c.jpg

8318448196_5374a68ae9_c.jpg

8317409435_807b24f620_c.jpg

8316982289_e3ea0d8649_c.jpg

8318150610_04f7c812c1_c.jpg

A rare self portrait - the Korean mountain climbers found it very humorous that I climbed this peak in a pair of flip flops! There was nowhere to place the X10 as I was right on the peak but an accommodating climber took my X10 and snapped. Although it's not a normal type of shot I would post it gives a good scale to the climb that started from the edge of Seoul you can see in the background. 40 degrees that day.. phew! Luckily I had clear mountain stream pools I swam in, in my birthday suit (it really was isolated), in both directions :)

Last edited:
Souldeep...
Wow - that's raised the bar pretty high for 2013. :clap:
Your pano problems are quite visible in that set.
I don't seem to be suffering except where there is nothing for the X10 to work out how fast I'm rotating and it get's it wrong. Just a thought, are you saving the originals? I'm not, but I could imagine that if you were then the X10 would have to work a LOT harder.
LOL at the self-portrait :D

Here's the set of stormy seas I promised a few days ago.

1) Scale is tricky here, but the headland behind the wave is over 150ft high, so the blast is about 100ft high :eek:
i-kjMRVmd-X3.jpg

2) I waited about three hours before I got any light, and when it arrived it made the wait totally worthwhile.
i-Zk6SNFH-X3.jpg

3) It's so stormy that the wave no longer look like waves, the sea is boiling.
i-KDJHZj4-X3.jpg

4) The fleck of breaking wave is half a kilometer away. The sea is a foamy cauldron.
i-vTKxFs6-X3.jpg

5) The poor X10 was soaked in salt spray with the lens licked clean before wiping with my t-shirt :wacky:
i-sV9w48n-X3.jpg

6) A boggo standard shot to finish this set; Ardnamurchan lighthouse making light work of the bad weather.
i-q888dLP-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered the lens hood/filter for a tenner.

Getting a little 52mm CPL for it to double up as a lightish ND filter...1/1000th shutter limit??!! not great out today having to close it down a fair bit ruining any shallow dof i worked so hard to get lol

On the other hand - flash sync at 4000th?? lol :)

anyone using the hood/filters? i'm not expecting wonders but should do the job ;)

Found an old 52 uv behind the sofa(?) as well, never in the habit of using them (who does on digital) but might stick it on now and again for protection...

To me:

rx100 felt too small, not that good to hold.
also, the long end of the lens is slower. may not bother you (not a show stopper imo either) and is countered by a better sensor of course.

...nice enough camera (top of class 'they' say), great reviews, just felt dull and like any p&s...just my view, its very personal using a camera ;) Sony is more pocketable if thats your thing.

Fuji is just fun :) its not perfect (what is?)...

...i am a bit of a Fuji convert, mind still hovering over a x100, but think i'll wait until the x pro maybe comes down a bit, and i then buy expensive lenses etc...all the cost i ditched the dslr for lol :) ....they get you in the end :)

One thing that stands out for me are the jpgs SOOC....

Well in my on-going and never-ending quest to find jpeg settings that keep me happy (I've gone through a few reasons in the rest of the thread on my personal view between the JPEG and RAW thing and I won't be going over it again here!

No, this is something that popped up while editing today in lightroom. I was going to post up some pictures I took while in Stoke on trent recently and also my walk up to the Carn Brea castle this morning. While going through the photographs I had one recurring annoyance with the JPEGs and that was that they were all a bit "mushy" and not as clear as the raw files. Now I noticed that I had my x10 set to "noise reduction +1) but I thought that it couldn't just be that could it?

And so, I decided to put one of the troublesome pictures back into the X10 as a raw file and did some fiddling! This is the outcome:

8333603637_5ffd1b614e_c.jpg

8333602729_66dcd2f4bd_c.jpg

8333429639_636a88df3c_c.jpg

8333429251_33bd47ab30_c.jpg

I did it so you don't have to! You can see that the noise reduction really mushes stuff up a lot. The sharpness does help clarify things a bit but can be a quite harsh.

And after all that I think I settled on this:

8334660434_cd9e4268c9_c.jpg

I think this works out about right but let me know what you think! Do you think I've made the right choice?

Also, to others who use the jpegs (I know souldeep is one) what do you have these set to to get the most clarity out of your photographs?

Cheers!

So there I was, popping by to wish you all a very happy 2013 and more fun times with the X10, when I fall over that Martyn fella posting even more great photos :eek: :clap:

Happy New Year folks :woot:

:plus1: Yes Happy New 2013 to you all.

:plus1: to Martyns shots - superb BUT.....

...... He looks like a Ninja Warrior but not sure if the weapons in his hand would be that effective in sorting out the enemy ;)

Asa - go easy on the pixel peeping :)
I suspect you couldn't tell any difference between those if they were printed to A3.

Meanwhile, here's a set taken on an evening walk through stunted Beech thickets.
It's an ancient trackway running along the shore and just being here is good for my soul.

1) last rays of sunlight before a big shower obscured the sky.
i-j474pxF-X3.jpg

2) looking straight into what remains of the light.
i-w5g4ZXx-X3.jpg

3) The path winds through cliffs and bogs
i-7Gd6Pgm-X3.jpg

4) but the best bits are where moss blankets the boulders
i-TWfJrWf-X3.jpg

5) in places, even the trees are covered with the same layers of moss
i-QbcXVZH-X3.jpg

6) back on the road, the winter colours still look good
i-K7X4tNM-X3.jpg

@ Souldeep - Superb images I just can't find a favorite in the set there all superb
@ DuncanDisorderly - I don't think the images do the scene to justice it deserves

I've been stuck in doors all day today family lunch etc, everyone's gone home now so I thought I'd have a play with my SB-900 in SU-4 mode just to see how it works.

Settings
Camera set to manual mode
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 11.3 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Sb-900 fired in SU-4 mode at 1/128 power, fired camera left.

Billy, do you always dress up with so much effort when everyone goes out? :) :)

Thats pretty good.

Back