weekly Reanimated 52 - Fit/Water added... 2013 done.

Hi Tony :)

Wild - Love your first 'sketch'... out of the two proper shots, the first has my vote, lots of energy given off and that bottom Claw looking hand - Oochie :D

Good background used too - like the work you put into your shots (y)

Space - Really like the first one, but doesn't seem like a photo but more excellent editing/pp work so not for me (would love to be proven wrong) - The one I choose is the last image, liking the starry sky merging into the blue cloudiness (y)

Work - Fantastic... thanks for sharing how you set this up, very clever, love the detail :clap:

Gluttony - Awweeeee that's excellent too, a great set of photo's :)
The space one was a photo of a model kit I built a while ago, with some PP to create the atmosphere around it :)

Thanks for your comments.

Picked up a new lens today: one of the old E Series, a 100mm 2.8. My word, but it's sharp as a razor at anywhere around the f4 mark. Requires a fair amount of skill, being so fast and MF so I can imagine it's going to take me some time to tame the beast. Anyhow, playing around and used it to take my third Gluttony:

Gluttony by DrHWest, on Flickr

Your entry for work "The Myth of Sisyphus" is nothing short of completely amazing. The detail, colour tones, blends and text style, in fact to be honest, the whole kaboodle Tony is really outstanding. I keep referring back to it. Well impressed and very inspiring.

Gluttony, colour for me but agree a little too much blue but nice composures with good dof.

That is terrifying, really really good. I dread to think what your better half said.

how do you do this? 4 awesome shots, in less than 4 days??

love the hand for #1, presume that's the workings of a clock / watch inside your hand. Can't fault the PP at all!

Creepy wierd for #2, the blending of the two images is seamless.

#3 would probably stand out on it;s own, but is least favourite in excellent company. Bit dark on the inscription maybe?

not a Dr Who fan, but managed to work it out, perfectly lined up, love how the reflection has the strong colours in it in the shadow, not bothered about the loss of half the reflections, as they're really faint anyway.

Dr. #5, Keith Lemon??? :LOL:

You always have such creative ideas! Love the most recent two... I better start thinking about what to do about mine

how do you do this? 4 awesome shots, in less than 4 days??

I must admit to a shortcut here; the hand shot was taken a couple of months ago; the problem with having thought about this theme before, of course, is that I then have to go a little further afield for my ideas this time around.

So here's the final version of Time, and it's probably my favourite of them. It was supposed to be a single picture, but ended up being the middle part of a triptych, the other parts of which you can see with it on Flickr.

The Time of the Preacher: Time's Up by DrHWest, on Flickr

So any suggestions about which shot of the various Times should be the 'official' one would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited:
This new one - very nice and the best bar far for me.

Wow love that last one, and I'm not entirely convinced you've not just taken a still from a western movie. :) Composition is spot on, DoF is just enough, and the details like the beads and cross and to the story. Very good.

Hi ya

last shot for Time....SUPERB...nuff said :clap:

Had a nosey at your flickr...the image with the chap pointing the gun at you...looks a dead ringer for lemmy :)

Thanks Lynne - weirdly, he doesn;t have a moustache - it's the just the high pass filter that made his stubble look thicker with the DoF!

First sketch at Juxtaposition here: I have two image ideas which will require some setting up this week, but I have two 'observational' shots to keep me ticking over.

The Money Ran Out by DrHWest, on Flickr

The money ran out :D

Like it. Very well spotted and a very interesting photograph. A tad off the oft fr me.

#2 is on theme and very graphic/minimal.

Cheers.

For me, the shot was about the juxaposition of old and new, renewal and ruin.

Hopefully this one is clearer: the first of my two image ideas for this theme; the other will follow tomorrow (hopefully).

Facing the Inevitable by DrHWest, on Flickr

The PP is in the style of an artist, photographer and director called Matt Mahurin whose work I've been exploring via the medium of shamelessly ripping him off.

ETA: or do people prefer the version with no colour at all?

Facing the Inevitable by DrHWest, on Flickr

I am undecided.

Last edited:
And here's the second one. There was a still life version which was structurally stronger, but I felt this had more layers of juxtaposition (life/death, male/female, peace/conflict etc etc).

Processed to look like Kodak Portra 160vc in Alien Skin Exposure 4 which I urge everyone to try the free trial for. Very interesting piece of software.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang by DrHWest, on Flickr

That was going to be my lot, but something has come up tomorrow that might offer the possibility of an interesting shot or two...

And I was right. Here's my final plays with the theme of juxtaposition, taking as the starting point the idea that an artistic contrast is created from "a juxtaposition of two more or less distant realities. The more the relationship between the two juxtaposed realities is distant and true, the stronger the image will be".

Behind the Throne by DrHWest, on Flickr

After a long day's decapitations... by DrHWest, on Flickr

So now I just need to choose which one is the 'official' entry for this week. Any suggestions?

I'm a bit torn, either numbers 1 or 3 although I love the DoF on 3 I'm not sure about the plant

hi ya

ye gods so many choices...but the winner by a long head , nose & legs for me is the slightly colored version of the skeleton shot....love the idea, the pp ht eframe...everything :clap:

the queen of hearts shots ,whilst I appreciate the work that went i to them ,just doesn't hit the theme for me...but then I am well known for being fairly dim :LOL:

Last edited:
Back on the letters - which did you submit - for me its ether two or four.

On two in particular I like the way you kept Peter clean so make him the focus.

Electric - I cried cheat until I saw your comment :)

Hi Tony

for letter.....#2 image of the ghostly figure...I really loe the writing in the bg & then it's the middle of the A images....head bowed & face hidden by hair....harks of Laurell K Hamilton books....all demonic & moody....fabulous shots all of them but those are the 2 that really stand out for me :clap:

Hi, Letters #2 and #4 for me.

#2, well composed and processed, the lettering on the wall works particularly well.

#4, again, well composed and cracking idea. Just the hot hand by way of crit.

Cheers.

Cheers all. Andy, I actually blew the arm out on purpose to give a lead-in toward the A. There's a version without on Flickr but I felt the whole thing just needed a bit more contrast.

See if you prefer that one - I'd be interested to know what you think.

I see. I prefer the overall lighting on III, but my eye was drawn to the hand. Needles to say, it is a cracking interpretation.

Cheers.

Electricity is done. It was hellaciously complicated from the first idea on Saturday through to the final shot today.

The process was so complicated I've actually done a series of blogposts explaining the process and showing the set up here.

Anyway, here it is:

Ride the Lightning by DrHWest, on Flickr

I won't be doing another this week because I'm knackered now :) If anyone wants my other image idea, it was going to be the Sistine chapel ceiling image of God and Adam with two levitating chaps and the spark between their fingers.

Absolutely cracking job, the side elements are very believable

wow..such creativity and such a lot of work you put into these themes.

Back