The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Went to a pub quiz for a friend's charity on Monday, it was attached to Leadenhall Market so I took my camera. Probably should have taken pictures before going to the pub, but here's my view from the gutter with my Calmann mini tripod:

Leadenhall Market by nigelwilliams2001, on Flickr

Daydreamer,
I think the Babbacombe pictures were well worth saving. No2 is my favourite, though I do think No1 would benefit from a tighter crop, say, in a 2x3 format going from just before the left hand of the chap passing in the background, to slightly to the right of the man with the red/brown jumper. Have you considered raising the vibrancy level to bring the colours up, but not the skin tones, then a tad on saturation?
Alternatively, maybe a mono version?
The colours in the second set are great.
The cloning is OK, it gets better the more you do, remember to keep sampling, like from both sides of the pole.

John I sympathise with you, I too have restricted movement, utilising a walking stick and a rollator. It started around 1990 with RA in my hands and feet and now, well let’s not go there.
The one passion I’ve had all my life is photography, never great but I think I have had a few good shots over the years. The thing is John; over the time since the onset of RA, I have struggled to handle cameras, SLRs and DSLRs more so, the weight being the main problem. Along came the X10 it seemed to tick all the boxes for me. After purchasing one, it became apparent that I was not up to the cameras abilities. The most obvious was my hands they were too big and crippled to hold and manipulate the controls, I got round this with a monopod and cable release. The problem of crouching for low angle shots I overcame with a ladies compact mirror stuck to a piece of plastic, taken from a DVD box. See picture. I can hold the camera at low levels on the monopod with an extension bar attached, look through the mirror, and then fire the shutter with the cable release.
The picture of the dancer’s statue was taken this way.
My fist Nikon coolpix had an articulating screen; it was this that gave me the idea of using a mirror.
If Fuji ever maufacture an AFORDABLE X10 type camera with an articulated screen and a remote shutter I would be first in the queue.
From the way you talk about your problems, it’s obvious you’re determined to keep shooting. So only one more thing to say “Illegitimi non carborundum”

DSC_00496.jpg

Rhodese.

Last edited:
nigelwill,
Welcome, and that's a cracking good shot.
Rhodese.

NigelWill

A darned good shot the sort I really do like (y)

After reading this very long thread many times I have today been to WEX and picked up an X10! at a good price now which helped, alongside the fantastic support and example images from all you contributors! You have left me in no doubt that this camera can deliver stunning pictures and in time I hope to share some examples of my own. PS just need to get that nice leather case now! kind regards.

Daydreamer,
I think the Babbacombe pictures were well worth saving. No2 is my favourite, though I do think No1 would benefit from a tighter crop, say, in a 2x3 format going from just before the left hand of the chap passing in the background, to slightly to the right of the man with the red/brown jumper. Have you considered raising the vibrancy level to bring the colours up, but not the skin tones, then a tad on saturation?
Alternatively, maybe a mono version?
The colours in the second set are great.
The cloning is OK, it gets better the more you do, remember to keep sampling, like from both sides of the pole.

John I sympathise with you, I too have restricted movement, utilising a walking stick and a rollator. It started around 1990 with RA in my hands and feet and now, well let’s not go there.
The one passion I’ve had all my life is photography, never great but I think I have had a few good shots over the years. The thing is John; over the time since the onset of RA, I have struggled to handle cameras, SLRs and DSLRs more so, the weight being the main problem. Along came the X10 it seemed to tick all the boxes for me. After purchasing one, it became apparent that I was not up to the cameras abilities. The most obvious was my hands they were too big and crippled to hold and manipulate the controls, I got round this with a monopod and cable release. The problem of crouching for low angle shots I overcame with a ladies compact mirror stuck to a piece of plastic, taken from a DVD box. See picture. I can hold the camera at low levels on the monopod with an extension bar attached, look through the mirror, and then fire the shutter with the cable release.
The picture of the dancer’s statue was taken this way.
My fist Nikon coolpix had an articulating screen; it was this that gave me the idea of using a mirror.
If Fuji ever maufacture an AFORDABLE X10 type camera with an articulated screen and a remote shutter I would be first in the queue.
From the way you talk about your problems, it’s obvious you’re determined to keep shooting. So only one more thing to say “Illegitimi non carborundum”

Rhodese.

Good to hear from you & thank you for sharing your experiences with your own health issues. Unfortunately my gammy legs & feet are only part of my problems which I'll not go into otherwise will go way off topic.

On the one where you say a different crop my answer is yes I tried but came back to the 16/9 as all others throw them out of balance to my eye. But that's not to say my eye is great but it is the one I use when making my decisions. I tend to straighten, then spend a long time fiddling with the crop I feel is right. For years I was stuck in the native crop of the camera often 4/3 or 3/2 and would not budge. However I have now dropped that silly constraint but tend to find 1/1, 4/3, 3/2, 16/10 or 16/9 but rarely away from these as I do find their proportions right to my eye. I think :nuts:

If you saw the shot SOOC you may realise why I did the OTT PP'ing. When I bought Lightroom 4 some weeks (if not months ago - time flies) ago I used Piriform Recuva to go through my SD cards to see what I had binned that I may of been able to get something from. This shot was one of many and proved useful in teaching myself LR4 from YouTube tutorials. It has quite a learning curve but worth it to me (y)

Thanks guys. Didn't have much time to setup the camera and do some test shots, so just attached the tripod and placed it (slightly unevenly) on the cobbled street. So these were just using the camera's AEB then combined and tweaked in Picturenaut. Need a really wide angle lens, might go back another evening, take a few shots and stitch them together in Photoshop.

Another three X10 shots from last year salvaged from my SD card.

When I pressed the shutter I was feeling very frustrated that I couldn't walk along the countryside and take 'real' landscapes but now I do get pleasure from this type of shot as it is the beauty of nature. It can be very simple & the X10 can capture it with nice background bokeh?

GreeleavesampcreamparasolsbehindX10_zps6fb1e65a.jpg

SingleGreenLeafX10_zps7bbc69e3.jpg

GreenFingerswithBlurredBushesX10_zpsad968396.jpg

John, should you "feel the need" for an X-10 again (for a while), drop me a PM and you can have mine on loan. Purely on pocketability, I prefer my XF-1 although I do enjoy the X-10 as well.

When assorted projects here are finished and I can grab some time, I'll pop down the road to see you if you're up to it - I'm sure one of the caffs in town serve a coffee that's at least half as good as a Costa!!! I'll even push.

John, should you "feel the need" for an X-10 again (for a while), drop me a PM and you can have mine on loan. I'm just very confused :LOL: Purely on pocketability, I prefer my XF-1 (maybe better for me but :thinking: ) although I do enjoy the X-10 as well.

When assorted projects here are finished and I can grab some time, I'll pop down the road to see you if you're up to it - I'm sure one of the caffs in town serve a coffee that's at least half as good as a Costa!!! I'll even push.

I think I am in a much better state than I was & could do with a good natter when your assorted projects (mmm I wonder what they are ;) ) are done.

Glad to see you are back (on TP) ;);););)

Not to derail the thread, in a nutshell! Conservatory is due to be erected next weekend and will then need flooring (DIY job for us!). Wife is now purely a Yoga teacher/studio owner so we're spending more time together. Luckily, she's also a coffee lover and likes a ceratin S. Devon town so will probably accompoany me when I come down.

Back ON TOPIC!!!

I had a brief play with an X-20 earlier in the week. Handling seems identical to the X-10 but with in VF information. Unfortunately, there's not much info in there and it was rather hard to see properly against the subject - IMO, it would be better against a black background like in an SLR/s VF. Didn't have a card with me so don't have any pics to look at but I understand that it's got a new sensor which is apparently even better than the X-10's.
The brief play has persuaded me not to upgrade to the X-20, maybe an XF-2 will have a hotshoe (the only thing I would change about it - apart from an O [or even an E] VF!)?

Nigelwill - another arresting photo that I keep coming back to.

John - thanks for the close-ups showing greater control over the bokeh effect than I'm able to exercise with the X10 at the moment.

MORE NONSENSE

Although Bath has never been my favourite place (perhaps propinquity's at fault, but 'familiarity breeds contempt' would be too strong), there is often something curious going on there to entertain the visitors. I had to be there though, and luckily Bath seemed to have had a 'field day' last Wednesday. Things started slowly enough:

I wandered up to the Pulteney Bridge and Weir, and got this routine shot which might have been the more exciting had there been a bit of decent sky; as it was, wall to wall stratus with occasional snow flakes - it was damned cold.

DSCF3672-2 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Close to the abbey, I caught this chap teaching his dog to read. Having recently exchanged opinion with Rhodese on the etiquette of snapping strangers, I thought long and hard about it (well, all of 2 seconds), and decided that if I used the longest focal length available, and relied on subsequent cropping, my code of ethics would not be violated as long as I didn't get spotted!

DSCF3678 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

On the far side of the square, this chap with the BIG LENS was lurking for some time, but I think I 'got him before he got me'. Mind you, he had the big artillery of the Abbey Photo Service behind him, reminding me that it was the sole source of film for the cold and lonely Roman soldier far from home (with only the close at hand, newly introduced tea for comfort), wishing to send a few piccies home. This continued for our centurion until about 400 AD, when film was, of course, replaced by digital. I felt I should educate our younger contributors before such memory dies; the 'health warning' is that I might not have got the whole chronology quite right:

DSCF3673 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

There were plenty of buskers about, and this one was entertaining the crowd queuing for the Roman Baths. (I'm not sure if the next link will load, but if interested, you'll know where to find it.) I should like to have offered the whole clip, but didn't want to spend the rest of Easter waiting for it to upload; only the second time I've used video with the X10, and despite some declaring its results mediocre, I thought it good enough for me, the sound reproduction being remarkably faithful when played on the computer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compleat-tangler/8599210501/in/photostream

This chap was amazing, but nevertheless, begs the question: why?

DSCF3693 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Pete

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

Pete, what a fabulous post. Pictures, story just magic.

I’ve spent the last half hour or so looking back over the last month of posts, noting the references to RAW and JPEGs.
I don’t know if it will be of any help, or maybe I’m being presumptuous, but did you know that you can open JPEGs in Adobe camera raw and treat them as if they where RAWs. That is to say, you can manipulate white balance, blacks, shadows, noise, pretty much everything.
To do this go to edit preferences and set “JPEG and TIFF handling” to "Automatically open all supported JPEGs",
Do the same for TIFFs if you use TIFFs.
In older versions of PS, it under "File handling".
The picture “After the rain” was made using two exposures using this process and then brought together in PS.
If I am being presumptuous then I unreservedly apologise.
Rhodese.

Last edited:
Saddleworth saves spring blossom with British Wool tree cosies.

Seeen today in saddleworth

tree-cosy-web.jpg

Saddleworth saves spring blossom with British Wool tree cosies.
Well I never.:thinking:
Like it.
Rhodese.

Thanks for your comment Rhodese.

Terry, Rhodese - is this a garden centre wind-up in preparation for 1st April?

Pete

It is outside Saddleworth museum Upprmill
Has a large British wool ticket showing.

DSCF4523-L.jpg

My first picture here. I am absolute amateur, but i hope to learn soon with the Fuji x10 and with people like you. It's a great camera which gives me special feeling when i have it in my hands. I am impressed by this thread. After reading it three times i decided to register because i never found similar nice conversation as yours here.

Iliyan

Iliyan, he sure looks threatening, does he just have one toe on the raised foot?

I used to go to the Albert Docks, Liverpool. There used to be a man there who caught pigeons who had unfortunately managed to get their feet entwined with fishing line. He would cut the twine off and released them. Many birds had lost toes and feet.
I must go back with the X10 in tow, roll on the summer.
Rhodese.

http://iliyanb.smugmug.com/2013/Obshti/i-T2jTP6W/0/L/DSCF4523-L.jpg

My first picture here. I am absolute amateur, but i hope to learn soon with the Fuji x10 and with people like you. It's a great camera which gives me special feeling when i have it in my hands. I am impressed by this thread. After reading it three times i decided to register because i never found similar nice conversation as yours here.

Iliyan

Very nice shot, Iliyan. Straight into the camera. You probably caught him at an awkward moment ;-)

I was lucky. The pigeon was very calm. Maybe due to the temperature. It was maybe -20 C

Hello. :) One of my first few posts though I have read through this particular thread many many times as I wait impatiently for my X20.

I noticed that a few here are considering getting one, and that fact, coupled with the re-stock of Fujifilm in Indonesia (I've been here for 8 years and counting), spurned me to put a thread up solely for the Fuji X20.

I hope that it becomes as informative for X20 users as this thread is for X10 photographers.

If you want to come and share some insight or info on the X20, please drop by and post your thoughts. Click here.

Although Bath has never been my favourite place (perhaps propinquity's at fault, but 'familiarity breeds contempt' would be too strong), there is often something curious going on there to entertain the visitors. I had to be there though, and luckily Bath seemed to have had a 'field day' last Wednesday. Things started slowly enough:
Pete

Another good account of one of your trips out & in a town this time :eek:

I've been to Bath quite a few times & do like it but can never seem to get a bright day & have never took a half decent shot.

Hope you are planning a few more trips out (y)
John

Terry I love the woollen coat for trees as they sure need something. I know I do but luckily, where I live, I have seen snow fall but only a little but it has never settled this past winter. Thanks goodness.

Andy you have some good shots there. The sort I often try to take but usually bin as mine as they never seem balanced.

purplbutrfly welcome but not sure if you intend posting on this thread, or just sticking to your new X20 thread. Not sure how others feel, or perhaps they not be too bothered but I always felt the thread should include the X20 & the XF-1 shots (Nod I bear you in mind) :thinking: Duncan, the thread starter, has gone AWOL & not sure if others would want the expansion as I suggest or not? If yes maybe the Mods could alter the thread title?

Just thought I would add some recent images, nothing fancy but I've been neglecting the X10 recently while concentrating on my Nikons :)

Andy, just love the mirror shot with the orange-ish lights. Great colours, interesting perspective. Also like the railing shot: lines and colours are spot on.

Hi John, I don't mind any which way but if the X20's features and possible workflows are as different (slight to some, large to others) from the X10 as my impression is from a few early reviews.... then perhaps a different thread is better so as not to confuse.

Like I said, any which way. :) I just have two aims: be part of a constructive community and not confuse people. :)

Another good account of one of your trips out & in a town this time :eek:

I've been to Bath quite a few times & do like it but can never seem to get a bright day & have never took a half decent shot.

Hope you are planning a few more trips out (y)
John

Very kind of you yet again John - many thanks. Actually, the beauty of the X10, as others must have found, is that I don't need to (and can't anyway!) plan anything. I just stuff it in the pocket and forget it until something hits me between the eyes.

Keith's images are really striking, aren't they? Perhaps he'll tell us how he does it.

I wouldn't want to get the wrong side of Iliyan's pigeon, would you? He's a sort of avian Long John Silver.

Pete

Keith, those colours are tremendous, do you have magic light in Brighton. Alternatively, have you done a Dorian Grey deal with the devil, and an SD card is in your attic mouldering away. Tell us your secrets if you dare, go on tell all.
Rhodese.

Keith, forgive my ignorance but are these pp'ed or sooc? I love the color rendition.

Keith's images are really striking, aren't they? Perhaps he'll tell us how he does it.

Pete

Keith, those colours are tremendous, do you have magic light in Brighton. Alternatively, have you done a Dorian Grey deal with the devil, and an SD card is in your attic mouldering away. Tell us your secrets if you dare, go on tell all.
Rhodese.

Ha, ha :LOL: Glad you like them folks, but there's no secrets involved in my PP. For this type of shot I use an Apple App called Snapseed which is really easy to use (luckily for me). For these I use one of the "Grunge" pre-sets and just play around with the contrast, brightness etc until I like what I see. Not sure whether the Apps available for PCs or not.

Ha, ha :LOL: Glad you like them folks, but there's no secrets involved in my PP. For this type of shot I use an Apple App called Snapseed which is really easy to use (luckily for me). For these I use one of the "Grunge" pre-sets and just play around with the contrast, brightness etc until I like what I see. Not sure whether the Apps available for PCs or not.

I bought it for my PC but rarely use it these days as I favour LR4 which (for me) does what I am looking for. For the time being anyway :LOL:

Below from link at bottom.

"Where can I purchase Snapseed Desktop?
Snapseed Desktop was offered as a special edition of our mobile app. While we will continue to support it for current owners of the software, Snapseed Desktop is no longer offered for purchase".

http://www.snapseed.com/home/support/windows-desktop-support/

Not posted for a while, so here's one I took last week in super macro mode.

Great shot Paul, and reminds me that although I love cats, I often get up their noses.

MORNING WALK

Although today is back to overcast conditons, yesterday was beautiful here: two shots to celebrate, not the X10 in particular, nor photography in general, but the SUN.

DSCF3697 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

DSCF3700 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

For those interested, the last shot is taken from Dolebury Hill Fort/Warren, with the Bristol Channel and Welsh hills in the distant background.

Pete

Last edited:
Back