weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

Nice idea for the Letter theme. (y)

I had an idea to take a pic of a car badge, but the one on the outside, which frankly looked a bit meh when I looked at it on the pc.

Photographing the badge on the steering wheel and having the lighted console as background adds some great colour to the picture and makes it infinitely more interesting. I never would have thought of that!

Liking it. :)

Nice idea for the Letter theme. (y)

I had an idea to take a pic of a car badge, but the one on the outside, which frankly looked a bit meh when I looked at it on the pc.

Photographing the badge on the steering wheel and having the lighted console as background adds some great colour to the picture and makes it infinitely more interesting. I never would have thought of that!

Liking it. :)
Thanks Steven... Just what I was aiming for :)

Good work on letter Dean (y)
It could easily be a product shot, I could see it in a brochure for the car.
I like the composition especially the subtle arch of the instrument console at the top, it frames the subject. Iain

Good work on letter Dean (y)
It could easily be a product shot, I could see it in a brochure for the car.
I like the composition especially the subtle arch of the instrument console at the top, it frames the subject. Iain
Cheers Iain :)

nice product image as Iain says the OoF dials add interest and kind of makes it look like a frog face, maybe I just take to many drugs (y)

Oooo that could be a product shot, love how the letter stands out against the bg. You should try and flog this image to the company:)
Thanks Marsha.. I wish I could :)

nice product image as Iain says the OoF dials add interest and kind of makes it look like a frog face, maybe I just take to many drugs (y)
lol.. cheers Allan, my journeys will never be the same again now :D

rather liking this one too DK, great focus on the letter - on theme (y) and love the OOF dials with the various colours.

Just the "OUTSIDE 7ºC" doesn;t really fit for me, not sure what would have been better (if you can choose), ODO set to 000.0 maybe :shrug: Or disappear it completely?

Really like this. Suprising how often the simplest ideas are the best but I'm sure are also the most difficult. I too can see the 'frog' but thought it was the booze...will have to take more water with it :)

rather liking this one too DK, great focus on the letter - on theme (y) and love the OOF dials with the various colours.

Just the "OUTSIDE 7ºC" doesn;t really fit for me, not sure what would have been better (if you can choose), ODO set to 000.0 maybe :shrug: Or disappear it completely?
Cheers Graham :)

Ahhhh well spotted... I din't even think of that :thinking:

Oh I lika dis... very pro DK.

Looks like it's out of a brochure. :clap:
Thanks Brian :)

Really like this. Suprising how often the simplest ideas are the best but I'm sure are also the most difficult. I too can see the 'frog' but thought it was the booze...will have to take more water with it :)
Thanks Anita... I kept looking at it today as a frog while driving :LOL:

Nicely done!(y)

The DOF and lighting is sweet, and the composition is a cracker, with hints of a Japanese cartoon face to me. The only fly in the ointment for me is the temp gauge, it's a very hard shape compared to the others and jars a little... it's a minor thing though.

'ello :wave:

Letter, nice, is it your car?

The overall lighting is great, nice and even, especially on the wheel. The hint of red also works for me.

But, it's the oval shaped light at the top that really grabs me, it's like a moon rising.

Cheers.

Nicely done!(y)

The DOF and lighting is sweet, and the composition is a cracker, with hints of a Japanese cartoon face to me. The only fly in the ointment for me is the temp gauge, it's a very hard shape compared to the others and jars a little... it's a minor thing though.
Yep damn Gauge :D - Cheers Nick :)

Hey Andy :)

Letter, nice, is it your car?
Yup :cautious:

The overall lighting is great, nice and even, especially on the wheel. The hint of red also works for me.

But, it's the oval shaped light at the top that really grabs me, it's like a moon rising.

Cheers.
Cheers mate :)

Hi DK

Letter - super shot. Good comp and stunning colours. probably agree with others about the temp gauge but does not detract from a spot on theme image :clap:
Thanks Alan :)

That gauge really is a fly in the ointment :LOL:

Like the Letter shot. Lovely textures there. Something that says "I'm solid, reliable, different, but not too flashy. Bit of style..."

However, whatever that thing is top centre, way out of focus, it grabs my eye every time and is really distracting!

Like the Letter shot. Lovely textures there. Something that says "I'm solid, reliable, different, but not too flashy. Bit of style..."

However, whatever that thing is top centre, way out of focus, it grabs my eye every time and is really distracting!
Cheers Chris :)

That is a multi display... had outside temp showing :bonk:

Space....nice composition and narrow dof, your eyes are drawn straight to the sign.

Work....simple and effective shot and the sign really pops out from the background, maybe showing the full sign on the ground would be better.

Gluttony...I think you are right about needing some sauce oozing out and SALAD!!!! not exactly gluttonous. I'm now hungry.

Time...I like the idea of shooting through the tree but I think it needs a clearer more obvious gap to show more of the face and it's surround.

Juxtaposition...Not my favourite theme for commenting on, but you have shown 2 contrasting structures with just enough detail in the sky.

Letter....This has worked very well, really nice lighting makes it look like it should be in a brochure.

Hi DK :wave:

Letter: Great focus and detail, like the use of 'dof' and colours to add dimension to dark background. All nively in proportion. (y)

Get your finger out time? Or are you waiting to dazzle us with your new Lencarta kit?

Must admit it looks the business on the sale thread.
Hey Alan :)

Been busy... only had a quick play :D

Space....nice composition and narrow dof, your eyes are drawn straight to the sign.

Work....simple and effective shot and the sign really pops out from the background, maybe showing the full sign on the ground would be better.

Gluttony...I think you are right about needing some sauce oozing out and SALAD!!!! not exactly gluttonous. I'm now hungry.

Time...I like the idea of shooting through the tree but I think it needs a clearer more obvious gap to show more of the face and it's surround.

Juxtaposition...Not my favourite theme for commenting on, but you have shown 2 contrasting structures with just enough detail in the sky.

Letter....This has worked very well, really nice lighting makes it look like it should be in a brochure.
Many Thanks Colt for the in depth feedback -0 appreciated :)

Hi DK :wave:

Letter: Great focus and detail, like the use of 'dof' and colours to add dimension to dark background. All nively in proportion. (y)
Thanks Dave :)

Right... Quick catch up for a change :D

Was waiting for descent weather for my electric shot, then all of a sudden Colt got in first :bang:

I have tried a couple of other things but nothing else worked... so had a relatively good evening yesterday although damn cold, and took a few of the local wind farm, can't decide on which to choose though... so over to you please :)

Wk 11 - 'Electric'

Electric 1

Wk 11 - Electric 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Electric 2

Week 11 - Electric 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Electric 3

Week 11 - Electric 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Electric 4

Week 11 - Electric 4 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi DK

Electric - #2 for me I think. Like the landscape treatment and the good capture of the sky - both light and cloud. Like the tree too- good position. #4 is better for the tree and general comp but the sky does not have the same quality.

Direction - made me smile . Very busy b/g but the 2 main figures do stand out well (who wouldn't with those signs?) Really like that they both have the same position, face, feet together, hands in same place on poles. And matching angle for the signs and arrows. good stuff

Tacky - all that pink :cool: Genuinely tacky at the price. I would prob have cropped the RHS sign and people out so only one focal point

Good catch up - now more time to play with the studio lights :thinking:

love the direction shot, you did well to get the two with placards to stand out so well with no-one in front of them despite the crowds.

Right - for your electric, I'd like the first shot, with the sky from the second please... :naughty: Interesting how slow you actually have to shoot to get motion blur in these things!!

Direction - a great street capture there - is the direction the pointing of the two perfume signs, or the direction just to your left that all the people are looking to?? Just who were you walking through town with??

A sea of Tacky captured there - "designer" watches for 2 quid.. :LOL:, exquisite composition to avaid clipping of any of the letters in Designer, lovely DOF to blur the shoppers, who've cleared a path for you to see the watches on display. Excellent. (y)

Electric the second one for me nice sky (y)

direction is a great shot has no one ever seen a camera in that part of the world a few people seem to be interested :thinking:

Tacky designer watches for 2 pounds how did you resist (y)

Electric is a close tie between 2 and 4. The simple composition of 4 really appeals, but the sky in 2 is a winner.

Direction's a lovely shot for me, the fact there's 2 of them, and the angles of the placards are pretty much the same makes it for me. A sparser background would improve it I think, but we're unpopular enough without shouting at people to get out of the way!

Tacky makes me shudder, as the Mrs's mother bought me something along those lines for Christmas a few years back... Try opening one of those and smiling on Christmas morning. I wish I'd not thrown it out now! The shot's maybe a little messy for me, and I can't see where I'd crop it to tidy it up, but a picture like this will always be like that, because it's real life. The DOF helps though, lovely sharp focus on the middle board.

Hi DK

Electric - #2 for me I think. Like the landscape treatment and the good capture of the sky - both light and cloud. Like the tree too- good position. #4 is better for the tree and general comp but the sky does not have the same quality.
Cheers Alan... Similar problem choosing I had, liked many for different reasons :thinking:

Direction - made me smile . Very busy b/g but the 2 main figures do stand out well (who wouldn't with those signs?) Really like that they both have the same position, face, feet together, hands in same place on poles. And matching angle for the signs and arrows. good stuff
They do look a right pair don't they :D

Tacky - all that pink :cool: Genuinely tacky at the price. I would prob have cropped the RHS sign and people out so only one focal point
Ahhhhh... what as in a square crop ??

Good catch up - now more time to play with the studio lights :thinking:
Thanks mate... I will when I get off early enough :)

love the direction shot, you did well to get the two with placards to stand out so well with no-one in front of them despite the crowds.
Cheers tim... I did wait a short time for the perfect opportunity, as you can tell they had spotted me by then :LOL:

Right - for your electric, I'd like the first shot, with the sky from the second please... :naughty: Interesting how slow you actually have to shoot to get motion blur in these things!!
Hi Graham... So would I :LOL:

It was Sooooo windy they were going like the clappers, I was shivering a bit too :D

Direction - a great street capture there - is the direction the pointing of the two perfume signs, or the direction just to your left that all the people are looking to?? Just who were you walking through town with??
Hahaaaa... was only me standing right in the middle, was really odd the gap in footfall... 15 seconds later, they turned away to see what I was taking a photo of and there were people everywhere again :D

Direction - 15 sec later shot by TP DK, on Flickr

A sea of Tacky captured there - "designer" watches for 2 quid.. :LOL:, exquisite composition to avaid clipping of any of the letters in Designer, lovely DOF to blur the shoppers, who've cleared a path for you to see the watches on display. Excellent. (y)
Thanks again Graham... was again tricky getting what I was after, glad you noticed (y)

Electric the second one for me nice sky (y)
Thanks Allan :)

direction is a great shot has no one ever seen a camera in that part of the world a few people seem to be interested :thinking:
Well.. they are certainly not used to it like most cities, thought I was going to strung for witchcraft a couple of times... maybe it was me wrapped up from the cold, hooded, laden with rucksack, monopod and 70-200 on the camera :shrug: :D

Tacky designer watches for 2 pounds how did you resist (y)
Resist... I brought 5 ;)

Electric is a close tie between 2 and 4. The simple composition of 4 really appeals, but the sky in 2 is a winner.
Thanks Nick... I did think of messing with colours but changed my mind, felt like cheating !!!

Direction's a lovely shot for me, the fact there's 2 of them, and the angles of the placards are pretty much the same makes it for me. A sparser background would improve it I think, but we're unpopular enough without shouting at people to get out of the way!
Hahaaaa exactly, After I got this shot, I tried to get them to straighten the signs via sign language... they went all over the place apart from what I wanted, so I gave up with them :wacky:

Tacky makes me shudder, as the Mrs's mother bought me something along those lines for Christmas a few years back... Try opening one of those and smiling on Christmas morning. I wish I'd not thrown it out now! The shot's maybe a little messy for me, and I can't see where I'd crop it to tidy it up, but a picture like this will always be like that, because it's real life. The DOF helps though, lovely sharp focus on the middle board.

Yeah you should have kept it... could be worth it weight in carrots by now :LOL:

Electric - 1 for me! Nicely composed shot, nice timing to capture just the right amount of motion I reckon. But the shot does look a little under exposed to me?

Direction - Works well with the theme! Works on a few levels too, given that they look like they're looking in the direction of the camera too. Perhaps some selective colouring might have helped add some more interest to the shot?

Tacky - Definitely on theme! Designer watches for £2, bargain! Haha!

Letter: Really like that shot, really nice lighting!

Electric: I like the first windmill shot, great motion and framing of the windmills.

Tacky: so perfect for the theme, great shot!

Electric - it's number 3 for me... (I have a few like this myself in my back catalogue)

Direction, I just love the look on their faces - a cracking street shot.

Tacky, well that tells a story about modern day Britain all by itself. Perfect!

great catchup mate. (y)

Hi, Electricty #2 for me. The motion blur works well and the red in the sky is super.

Direction #1 for me, well spotted and on theme. Great eye contact. Looks a tad dark on my works PC. Shallow dof, maybe?

Tacky, £2.00 is not a tacky watch. Bit busy but looks like they wouldn't move anyway :D

Cheers.

Hi DK, I'm a bit disgusted to realise that I'm now waaaaaay behind you, oh how the tide has turned from last year :bonk:

Electric, did we see these last year? I too prefer number two as the red in the sky really adds some atmosphere. I just think a bit more motion on the blades is needed, as they are in number one. If that makes sense?

Direction, this made me chuckle. You've done well to get them both looking in the same direction. It looks like a mob marching towards you though.

Tacky, £2 designer watches :cautious: Perfect for the theme though! Yes there are a few people in the way but it's clearly a busy market and the focus draws the eye to where it's needed.

Now slow down, let me catch up and pass you the late baton once more ;)

Electric - 1 for me! Nicely composed shot, nice timing to capture just the right amount of motion I reckon. But the shot does look a little under exposed to me?
Thanks Matt :)

It could be my PP that has mucked up the exposure, I really want to calibrate my monitor to be honest which should help

Direction - Works well with the theme! Works on a few levels too, given that they look like they're looking in the direction of the camera too. Perhaps some selective colouring might have helped add some more interest to the shot?
Ahhhh good thinking that, may try if I ever get some time

Tacky - Definitely on theme! Designer watches for £2, bargain! Haha!
Quality gear aren't they :LOL:

Letter: Really like that shot, really nice lighting!

Electric: I like the first windmill shot, great motion and framing of the windmills.

Tacky: so perfect for the theme, great shot!
Many Thanks Lisa :)

Electric - it's number 3 for me... (I have a few like this myself in my back catalogue)
Thanks Brian :)

These are just 5 mins away, and I enjoy shooting them - when the weather is warm (y)

Direction, I just love the look on their faces - a cracking street shot.

Tacky, well that tells a story about modern day Britain all by itself. Perfect!

great catchup mate. (y)
Cheers Brian - Appreciated (y)

Hi, Electricty #2 for me. The motion blur works well and the red in the sky is super.
Cheers mate :)

Direction #1 for me, well spotted and on theme. Great eye contact. Looks a tad dark on my works PC. Shallow dof, maybe?
Yeah a shallower DoF would have helped, but I got so close to them by the time the shot opened up, I Just had to shoot with the attached 70-200 (at 70mm) and not change to my 15-85 which would have been perfect towards the long end :)

Tacky, £2.00 is not a tacky watch. Bit busy but looks like they wouldn't move anyway :D

Cheers.
Hope I get you for 2013 'Secret Santa' then :LOL:

And yes they were all like fly's around fresh dung mate :D

Hi DK, I'm a bit disgusted to realise that I'm now waaaaaay behind you, oh how the tide has turned from last year :bonk:
YAY !!!! glad to hear that :p

Electric, did we see these last year? I too prefer number two as the red in the sky really adds some atmosphere. I just think a bit more motion on the blades is needed, as they are in number one. If that makes sense?
You did see them last year... but they were used on 'Straight' and one wasn't working :help:

Direction, this made me chuckle. You've done well to get them both looking in the same direction. It looks like a mob marching towards you though.
Thanks Marsha... I was really surprised at the gap that opened up

Tacky, £2 designer watches :cautious: Perfect for the theme though! Yes there are a few people in the way but it's clearly a busy market and the focus draws the eye to where it's needed.
Yup... Thanks again :)

Now slow down, let me catch up and pass you the late baton once more ;)
NO !!!! :p

Electric.......nice subject ;) I like the first one more, it works with them all being in one line and the subtle blue tones throughout the shot with some nice blur on the blades too.

Direction......They look really happy with those signs maybe some direction in learning to smile would help them sell more perfume.

Tacky.....I think a few of us though about cheap market type stalls selling designer gear for peanuts just the job for this theme. You've managed to get just enough of a gap through the crowd so your eyes lead straight to the posh watches.

Back