Monthly rpn's 2013-12 E.T.C. Challenge - December 12.4 Writings on Photo Added

Hi, there, interesting timelapse and a good effort. Interesting subject matter and cracking sky.

I do agree that the frame rate needs to be higher.

Cheers.

On phone, but looks to have good detail and colour. Angle emphasises the shallow dof, but I feel a tad off the bottom would work.

Cheers.

I like that Stan. Nice tones (colour tones; I don't know how good the musical ones are!), good composition, and great use of the DoF.

I do feel as if I'd like to be closer to the bridge, but at the same time wouldn't want to lose the shape of the guitar, or the view along the neck.

Good work!

Hi Stan. Good processing on your duotones shot, but I do think the subject could have been better suited: I just think the technique adds little to this subject, probably because it has so much detail.

That said I'm not keen on artificially duotone photos anyway, which is why I haven't done one. Maybe it's because I think it's a better technique for paint than for photography, and in fact don't like most attempts to make photos look like paintings of any kind.

You watch, theme 1 for May will be "watercolour style" now that I've said that!

I like your shallow dof shot of the Guitar it works well to me, I'm not sure whether a slight rotation to the right would improve it or not?

Just been looking at the guitar again, did you twang the strings as there appears to be movement in them.

It looks great though

Need to make a quick start this month and while reading Mark’s post, here, on diffraction give me the idea :thinking: for this shot. However I'm not entirely happy with the result, the reflections are a distraction and if time permitting I may have another go at it.

Another indirectly inspired shot by Mark, cheers :clap:

5.1 Black & White

Very clever idea, and I don't think the reflections are distracting. In fact they just add a bit of depth :)

Now, was it shot in B&W, or is it actually a colour shot of a B&W subject?

Yeah, like it. Could imagine it being on a trendy clothes shop wall.

Well composed and I'm glad the reflections are all different.

Crit, I'd like to see RH glasses the same height, which would be difficult if you don't have them :D

Quick start (y)

Cheers.

Thanks guys, cheers for the comments. (y)

Very clever idea, and I don't think the reflections are distracting. In fact they just add a bit of depth :)

Now, was it shot in B&W, or is it actually a colour shot of a B&W subject?

Yes, it was shoot in B&W. The background is off the tintetnet and printed in B&W, glasses filled with water and thats all.

Yeah, like it. Could imagine it being on a trendy clothes shop wall.

Well composed and I'm glad the reflections are all different.

Crit, I'd like to see RH glasses the same height, which would be difficult if you don't have them :D

Quick start (y)

Cheers.

Andy, the glasses are all the same with the RH one closest to the background and the LH furthest away to achieve the different differacted patterns!

Last edited:
Looks like there is paste or ice cream in the glasses rather than just water, looks good though.

Nice start.

Last edited:
Hi Stan.

I'm not sure on this one. It's a great photo, and would have been nice as your B&W submission (especially with the misty background), but I don't think the selective colour adds anything to it, nor does it attract your attention to an especially interesting element of the shot. If I'm honest, it looks as if you had a nice B&W photo, then added the SC just because you had to.

So, bottom line; nice shot, but not great as an example of SC :) :(

I don't know what colour the hull and canopy are, but if blue, it might have worked better to use those instead of the lifebelt?

Last edited:
I think perhaps the flag is too far to the left to work; it'd draw your eye out of the frame not into it.

I'd love to see a version with the blue brought out :)

Now that is a lovely shot :). You've done extremely well to avoid blowing out any of the white, and I love the way the clouds have a slight swirl which compliments the mast and sails pointing to it.

Great work :)

Yep, that works for me.

It might be better in b&w but that could just be the road giving that impression.

Hi, leading line is a cracker. So many lines, well defined and nice detail. Tad dark but could be my iPad

Motion blur, yeah, liking the processing on this. The low angle works well for me too.

Cheers.

I was hoping for a bright sunny day for this shot but misty hazy day requires a high ISO setting in order to use a fast enough shutter speed to capture this image. I was lucky in that I only needed to use two balloons to get this; I was prepared for more. The first attempt was a miss and this is from the second attempt. Never have to use shutter speed this fast or needed to use the Continuous High Speed function with this camera before.

Big thanks to Mrs rpn for operating the remote while I got soaked in the process but had fun never the less.

Settings ISO 1000 1/2000 sec at f3.5

5.5 High Speed

Nice, you got most of the water balloon shaped with a good spray.

I've been thinking along those lines myself :)

Hi Stan, sorry I haven't commented for a while.

Selective colour two, it's a shame the blue is so dark, but I still prefer it to the original :)

Motion blur works well, with exactly the right shutter speed chosen.

High speed is brilliant; it's nice to see one in daylight. In fact, how did you do it?

Leading lines two is good, but not up to your first one. I think it needs a subject to be lead to, and I find the oof post in the foreground a bit distracting and dominating.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, Mark. Much appreciated

High speed is brilliant; it's nice to see one in daylight. In fact, how did you do it?

Water filled balloon hang off a tree branch, camera set on tripod with 70-200mm lens at a good 30 feet away to prevent getting wet! wired remote, manual focus with settings as original post. Framed the balloon near the top to allow it to drop into centre of frame when bursted. Blu-Tack a pin to index finger hence my hand position.

All set, Mrs rpn fired the shutter at high speed (4 fps) while I 'pointed' at the balloon and hope for the best.

Cheers

High speed, cracker. Good detail and well composed.

Leading line, yeah, on theme, but, I always like to look along the line and find something at the end helps.

Another full month :clap:

Cheers.

I find this month quite a toughie for me. The taking of 6 photos part is easy but taking 6 photos of one theme and linking them into a story board is the difficult part.

However, after many sleepless nights deliberating the technique/effect and subject/story for this month challenge I was totally goosed until I was asked by the office to be a tog for a 12km cross-country adventure race that the company is sponsoring for the last time after five years. The main obstacles stages were out-of-bound to most general public even the sponsoring company due to privately owned ground or for official press photographers only so I missed a lot of the action shots involving river crossings, mud pits, net climbing and crawling etc. However, I think I have got enough photos to make up a storyboard!

June - Lomography Storyboard

Last edited:
I like the processing that you have done on these. Not quite sure it works with the theme of the story but I like that you are all putting your own spin on it

Back