weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

Hi DK

value - either crop would do for me except on #2 the 'EP 300' is oof so it has to be #1 cos of its overall sharpness

Vertical - very good idea for the theme and well handled. Spot on horizontal and vertical and ,as mentioned, no lens distortion. Like the grey palette and the hint of movement in the waves. (y)

Reshoot #1 for me, pretty much like the original, but the shift in focus really makes the shot in my eyes. The composition really works well.

I'm not sure about Vertical. Bang on theme, but doesn't really grab me.

Hi DK

value - either crop would do for me except on #2 the 'EP 300' is oof so it has to be #1 cos of its overall sharpness
Hi Alan :)

Sure seems the popular choice !!

Vertical - very good idea for the theme and well handled. Spot on horizontal and vertical and ,as mentioned, no lens distortion. Like the grey palette and the hint of movement in the waves. (y)
Cheers mate

Reshoot #1 for me, pretty much like the original, but the shift in focus really makes the shot in my eyes. The composition really works well.

I'm not sure about Vertical. Bang on theme, but doesn't really grab me.
Thanks Nick (y)

Last edited:
Hi DK :wave:

Just a little bit behind again!

Value, probably only a slight shoe horn used here! I really like the angle and lighting, I imagine this could be a metering nightmare? It does look a bit on the warm side, but then it almost looks Sepia tinted!

Angle, love this, such a simple take on the theme.

Rustic, how very pretty. Nice composition and makes it feel almost like summer, now lets hope the weather pays attention!

Kind, nice diagonal angle. I particularly like the kind on one side and the le on the other. The pink adds a nice splash of colour.

Reshoot, that's better with the lighting. I think I prefer the second shot with the reduced DOF.

Vertical, you must have quite a collection of wind farm shots now? I like this one a lot. My only crit is the breaking wave bottom right. I think there needs to be either more wave or none at all :thinking:

Phew I'm caught up again! More importantly I've almost caught you up with my shots. I just need to get them uploaded. Not that I'm setting a challenge but I could go ahead of you ;)

Well DK I really like Angle: lovely light on an almost abstract shot. Great texture. Potato field?

Rustic: also very nice indeed. Definitely on theme, lovely curves leading my eye into the shot from the left, the decking leading my eye back, lots of detail to come back to like the stones at the base of the bridge support, and the marsh marigolds (or possibly buttercups?). That is definitely a shot to be proud of.

Kind... well, a crowbar on the theme, and TBH the treatment doesn't win me over either. I do like the pink case though!

Vertical: I do like this. The wind thingies are nicely semi-randomly spread, the sea is a lovely slate-grey, and as said a hint of a leading line in the sinuous wave motion. No need to worry about the wave bottom right, TMM, it just puts it in context.

Last edited:
Hey Marsha :)

Just a little bit behind again!
That I am... think you have caught up :LOL:

Value, probably only a slight shoe horn used here! I really like the angle and lighting, I imagine this could be a metering nightmare? It does look a bit on the warm side, but then it almost looks Sepia tinted!
I think it could be a metering nightmare... IF i had a meter :D

Angle, love this, such a simple take on the theme.

Rustic, how very pretty. Nice composition and makes it feel almost like summer, now lets hope the weather pays attention!
Thanks again... they last couple of days have been great for working in the garden, but I need a polariser or 2 as the light is a bit too harsh !!!

Kind, nice diagonal angle. I particularly like the kind on one side and the le on the other. The pink adds a nice splash of colour.
Ta :)

Reshoot, that's better with the lighting. I think I prefer the second shot with the reduced DOF.
Well you're one of a minority... I'm still torn between them

Vertical, you must have quite a collection of wind farm shots now? I like this one a lot. My only crit is the breaking wave bottom right. I think there needs to be either more wave or none at all :thinking:
Not too many really, Only the ones I have shot for themes on here, being 2 mins away I should really exploit the fact, but when working late, I see a good sky but drive past as I am hungry :LOL:

Phew I'm caught up again! More importantly I've almost caught you up with my shots. I just need to get them uploaded. Not that I'm setting a challenge but I could go ahead of you ;)
Well done... and thank You (y)

Well DK I really like Angle: lovely light on an almost abstract shot. Great texture. Potato field?[\quote]Thanks Chris... I'm not sure to be honest but it looks that way to me

Rustic: also very nice indeed. Definitely on theme, lovely curves leading my eye into the shot from the left, the decking leading my eye back, lots of detail to come back to like the stones at the base of the bridge support, and the marsh marigolds (or possibly buttercups?). That is definitely a shot to be proud of.
Spot on mate... Marsh Marigolds - And thanks yeah I do like this shot :)

Kind... well, a crowbar on the theme, and TBH the treatment doesn't win me over either. I do like the pink case though!
Thanks appreciate your honesty (y)

Vertical: I do like this. The wind thingies are nicely semi-randomly spread, the sea is a lovely slate-grey, and as said a hint of a leading line in the sinuous wave motion. No need to worry about the wave bottom right, TMM, it just puts it in context.
Cheers Chris :)

The dandylion ? is great.. Really nice detail and great DOF.

:)

The dandelion for me too Dean (y)
I like the way you have filled the frame with it, lovely colour tones in the background too.
I feel you have just missed the focus on the eye, the sharp point appears to be on the eyelid/lashes.
Well done on your continued catch-up matey, keep it up!

Hi, cracking dandelions. Good overall detail and textures. Not overly keen on the cropping of the top and bottom; and with a quick edit on ipad, I feel a nice square crop works well.

The eye shows detail. I'd prefer eye contact, IYSWIM. Is that an octabox I can see?

Good show,

Cheers.

Dandelion is a nice shot, sharp and bright can't crit it, with the eye i feel you have to be closer to establish a pattern. :clap: for the dabelion

Pattern, the Dandelion shot is great. Lots of fine details and lovely lighting.

(y)

The dandylion ? is great.. Really nice detail and great DOF.

:)
Thanks Carl... and yes I think it is a dandylion :)

The dandelion for me too Dean (y)
I like the way you have filled the frame with it, lovely colour tones in the background too.
Cheers Iain :)
I feel you have just missed the focus on the eye, the sharp point appears to be on the eyelid/lashes.
Well done on your continued catch-up matey, keep it up!
Thanks Again... and yes I really struggled getting focus, this was the best of the crop, BUT I thought I would get away with it - Busted :LOL:

Hi, cracking dandelions. Good overall detail and textures. Not overly keen on the cropping of the top and bottom; and with a quick edit on ipad, I feel a nice square crop works well.
Cheers Andy... not noticed the crop... I'll have a butchers (y)

The eye shows detail. I'd prefer eye contact, IYSWIM. Is that an octabox I can see?

Good show,
Yes I see what you mean... my aim was to do straight on but I really struggled with reflections - Example below :thinking:

Octabox - Yup... had a play again, I love getting in my ikkle studio :D

Dandelion is a nice shot, sharp and bright can't crit it, with the eye i feel you have to be closer to establish a pattern. :clap: for the dabelion
Cheers Allan... I think you're right :)

Pattern, the Dandelion shot is great. Lots of fine details and lovely lighting.

(y)
Thanks Colt :)

I'm liking the dandelion best. I don't like the reflection in the eye.

Where's your movement? - New theme tomoz!

Hi Dean

Dandelion for me as well ,lovely n sharp , good color & the square crops suits :clap:

Not so keen on the eye but appreciate how tricky that shot is having tried it myself

Square crop of the dandelion for me Dean, I like the eye shot too and the square crop suits it well, as you have said the focus isn't quite right,
Thanks Michael

I'm liking the dandelion best. I don't like the reflection in the eye.

Where's your movement? - New theme tomoz!
Cheers... and well ermmmmm :D

Hi Dean

Dandelion for me as well ,lovely n sharp , good color & the square crops suits :clap:

Not so keen on the eye but appreciate how tricky that shot is having tried it myself
Thanks Lynne :)

Hey Marsha :)

That I am... think you have caught up :LOL:

:LOL: I meant I was behind with your photos!

I think it could be a metering nightmare... IF i had a meter :D
We've all got meters in camera :thinking:

For pattern it has to be the dandelion, great detail and love the square crop. The focus on the eye is more on the eye lashes and not on the pattern of the iris. I have a very similar shot of my eye that I did last year and it was hellish getting the focus right, also shooting from the inner corner of the eye looks a bit too wide eyed and like the person has had a shock or two! Shooting from the outer edge of the eye has a softer feel to it, if that makes sense?

:LOL: I meant I was behind with your photos!
Really ;) :D

We've all got meters in camera :thinking:
I thought you meant a handheld meter for my lights :LOL:

For pattern it has to be the dandelion great detail and love the square crop.
Thaaaank en you :)[quoteThe focus on the eye is more on the eye lashes and not on the pattern of the iris. I have a very similar shot of my eye that I did last year and it was hellish getting the focus right, also shooting from the inner corner of the eye looks a bit too wide eyed and like the person has had a shock or two! Shooting from the outer edge of the eye has a softer feel to it, if that makes sense?[/QUOTE]Ahhh that does make sense yes... I shall give that a go :)

The Dandelion is a beauty, I prefer the crop with a little space around it though.
I really like the little points of light in Greed, the flashes on the water really give it something. Movement works for me too, good idea, and lovely colours.

'ello,

Pattern, yeah, I do like dandelions. Plenty of detail and the harsh light works well to give good overall lighting. Square crop for me.

Greedy, :cautious: indeed. Bit soft but well composed and even eye contact.

Movement, on theme and good detail in the reflection and nice colours. Pity the mirror isn't sharp.

Cheers.

Lovely bright sharp detailed dandelion for pattern...

my 2p on the eye would be a portrait(ish) crop including the tear duct, the patterns of the blood vessels in the white and just over half of the pupil / iris. Can;t be easy self shooting your eye. :clap:

greed (did you miss this one??) is great - colour, movement, composition, capture of the moment all spot-on. :clap:

movement not quite sitting with me at the moment... love the colours for a start..... but the mirrors not in its natural position is it?? and I'm struggling to get which way we're actually moving - and then my head hurts so I'm now trying to see if I can ID the car from the reflection, which isn't moving, but I can't (Alfa maybe - don't think it's your Lexus. :shrug:...

I'm off to walk the dog. :bonk:

Hi DK

Greed is excellent well caught couldn't have been easy I have seen them feed its all a bit frantic
Movement i like how the BG is rushing past but there looks like no movement in the mirror
Below I had a similar idea its on my flickr so I have to say its a great idea, the leaves and the sky go well together
You will have to have a rest now with all that catching up:D

The Dandelion is a beauty, I prefer the crop with a little space around it though.
Thanks Nick :)
I really like the little points of light in Greed, the flashes on the water really give it something. Movement works for me too, good idea, and lovely colours.
Thanks again :)

Hey :)

Pattern, yeah, I do like dandelions. Plenty of detail and the harsh light works well to give good overall lighting. Square crop for me.
Cool :)

Greedy, :cautious: indeed. Bit soft but well composed and even eye contact.
Soft !!!! I'll have you know... well ok yeah DoF would have helped but out of 30 or so shots this was by far the sharpest :LOL:

Movement, on theme and good detail in the reflection and nice colours. Pity the mirror isn't sharp.

Cheers.
Cheers mate... again this was a toughie, will answer below (y)

Missed one.
Slacker :D

Below, interesting perspective and good detail. I really like the sky. Has a slight HDR feel to it :thinking:

Cheers.
Well... no HDR but masses of PP to try and get some detail out of it :cautious:

Lovely bright sharp detailed dandelion for pattern...
Cheers Graham :)

my 2p on the eye would be a portrait(ish) crop including the tear duct, the patterns of the blood vessels in the white and just over half of the pupil / iris. Can;t be easy self shooting your eye. :clap:
Ooooooo I'll try that :)

greed (did you miss this one??)
Shhhhhh I don't think anybody noticed :cautious:
is great - colour, movement, composition, capture of the moment all spot-on. :clap:

movement not quite sitting with me at the moment... love the colours for a start..... but the mirrors not in its natural position is it?? and I'm struggling to get which way we're actually moving - and then my head hurts so I'm now trying to see if I can ID the car from the reflection, which isn't moving, but I can't (Alfa maybe - don't think it's your Lexus. :shrug:...
Ahhhhhh well... to answer you and Andy, the car was moving but I had to do 2 trips out and probably 100 shots to get the desired effect...

• Car moving at around 30 MPH
  • Had to be country lane to get the Hedge/Verge even movement blur
  • Shutter had to be fast enough to capture still'ish image in the door mirror AND to freeze the bumpy road
  • Shutter had to be slow enough at the same time to get motion blur of the hedgerow/verge of the sideways/rushing past view
  • Trying to ensure no cars in the mirror on a Sunday around our way was a challenge too :(

The bumpy road nearly gave me a black eye the amount of times the camera bashed me in the face :D

I'm off to walk the dog. :bonk:
Sounds like a plan :LOL:

Last edited:
Hey Allan :)

Greed is excellent well caught couldn't have been easy I have seen them feed its all a bit frantic
Thanks... and boy yes they were frantic :D
Movement i like how the BG is rushing past but there looks like no movement in the mirror
Yay !!! thanks mate that was the plan... although very awkward to do on a bumpy lane
Below I had a similar idea its on my flickr so I have to say its a great idea, the leaves and the sky go well together
Ooo I'll have a look for that - great minds think alike (y)
You will have to have a rest now with all that catching up:D
Yeah as if lmao... will try some edits, comments and sleep :LOL:

Hi ya Dean

loving the Koi shot ,very sharp (y)

Movement......love it...fab motion yet perfectly sharp focused scenery in the mirror...brilliant idea & really well executed :clap:

ps....thanks for your sterling work on the spreadsheet :love:

DOH....missed you Below shot ! I like the colors showing through on the levaves , love the sunburst & the angle...nicely done mister

Last edited:
Back