weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

And onto the next...

I wanted to do 'Shape' with the help of my daughter... but events have conspired against me again so having to use my reserve image, in the pond again, with this lovely sun I am getting some wonderful Water Lily's flowering, I loved the colour and 'Shape' of this one

Thinking the crop may be a bit too tight, but I wanted the image to be all about the shape not the surroundings :thinking:

Wk 27 - 'Shape'

Wk 27 - 'Shape' by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Pair - definitely the first shot for me too, really like it! Cherries are nice and sharp and have caught the light nicely too. Nice work!

Shape - lovely colours and nicely focused too! Compositionally I think if the flower was just a smidge over to the left a bit more it would just emphasise the symmetry of the shape just a little more! (y)

Hi DK have you sorted out that spreadsheet yet:LOL:

Nice lily really nice colour in it the orange centre is superb, lilies are a great shape you might be right about the crop being a little tight but i do see why you have had to do that :clap:

Hi Dean,

Lovely shot of one of your lilies. My eyes are drawn from the outer petals right into the centre, where you have caught the details spot on.

Shape, as ever another image with great colour. Maybe a tweak to the cropping on the right hand side to balance it all out could improve it slightly?
It is symmetrical without being symmetrical if you see what i mean.

Last edited:
wow lovely shot, and the detail is really crisp and the colours nice and vibrant. I especially like the the wee touch of water on the bottom left too.

Pair - definitely the first shot for me too, really like it! Cherries are nice and sharp and have caught the light nicely too. Nice work!
Thanks Matt :)

Shape - lovely colours and nicely focused too! Compositionally I think if the flower was just a smidge over to the left a bit more it would just emphasise the symmetry of the shape just a little more! (y)
Cheers :) I think you could be right, i'll try another crop I think

Hi DK have you sorted out that spreadsheet yet:LOL:
:p :D

Nice lily really nice colour in it the orange centre is superb, lilies are a great shape you might be right about the crop being a little tight but i do see why you have had to do that :clap:
Thanks mate :)

Hi Dean,

Lovely shot of one of your lilies. My eyes are drawn from the outer petals right into the centre, where you have caught the details spot on.
Thanks Alison :)

That's the one for me. Perfect.
Cheers Alan :)

Oops. I was referring to the last "Pair" crop. I think that is spot on. I viewed it, commented and then the post appeared way down the next page :)
I knew you were :LOL:

Shape, as ever another image with great colour. Maybe a tweak to the cropping on the right hand side to balance it all out could improve it slightly?
It is symmetrical without being symmetrical if you see what i mean.
I do see what you mean and thanks for the nice comment, I certainly will try another crop or two :)

wow lovely shot, and the detail is really crisp and the colours nice and vibrant. I especially like the the wee touch of water on the bottom left too.
So do I Gregor - Thanks (y)

Hi ya Dean

cropped version of pair....works better but I was a ctually thinking of the same shots as the original but without any hair showing on either side......not that I'm awkward or anything :D

Shape....perfectly cropped to make the shape really stand out ,lovely color as well & perfect focus....great shot mister :clap:

we all like the water lilly. :LOL:

detail in the centre makes it for me, the lovely orangey bits curling out, and the next layer getting ready to open out too.

Hi ya Dean

cropped version of pair....works better but I was a ctually thinking of the same shots as the original but without any hair showing on either side......not that I'm awkward or anything :D
NO hair :yikes:

Hahaaaaaa hmmmmmm I may tempt to clone it out to see how it looks :D :thinking:

Shape....perfectly cropped to make the shape really stand out ,lovely color as well & perfect focus....great shot mister :clap:
Cheers Lynne :)

we all like the water lilly. :LOL:

detail in the centre makes it for me, the lovely orangey bits curling out, and the next layer getting ready to open out too.
Thanks Graham :) it really is such a bright flower it doesn't look real if you stare at it for a while, nature is sooooo magical at times at what it can create !!!!

And onto the next...

After a couple of years of minimal fruit, there appears to be 'Plenty' on the plum tree this year, I am even having to prop the branches up off the floor due to the weight... Plum Pie's and Crumble, Nom Nom Nom :)

I am wanting to try and get something different but this week, but this will do fine for the time being

Wk 28 - 'Plenty'

Wk 28 - 'Plenty' by TP DK, on Flickr

Catching up...

Practicing with my new camera I though I would try out the spot focusing on moving subjects, it took quite a few shots to get these, not the sharpest or from the best of angles but they just didn't want to play ball, I was chasing these around like a loony :help:

Hover flies in flight - Beating Gravity

Wk 27 - 'Re-Shoot' of 'Gravity'

Wk 27 - Re-Shoot 2 (Wk 3 Gravity) by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 27 - Re-Shoot 2 (Wk 3 Gravity) by TP DK, on Flickr

Sorry to have to catch DK, I've had a busty - I mean busy - week away.

Shape: I love the curling "fiery" bits in the middle of the flower.

Plenty of Plums eh? - I bet you can't wait to get your gums around those beauties! :LOL:

Gravity reshoot shots are awesome. Did you flash these?

Hi DK

plenty needs a bit more light on it a little flash fill maybe :thinking:

The reshoot for gravity a good attempt, I tried the very same thing a few weeks ago they are tricky little buggers amazingly fast :bang: I got one useable shot out of about 30 attempts its on my Flickr.
I can only :clap: you for these.

Shape, oh, yeah, cracker. The greens really work for me as does the detail.

Plenty, on theme and overall well exposed. Bit of fill light is my only crit.

Gravity reshoot #1 for me...'tis a bit lost in #1.

Cheers.

Sorry to have to catch DK, I've had a busty - I mean busy - week away.
:LOL:

Shape: I love the curling "fiery" bits in the middle of the flower.
Cheers mate :)

Plenty of Plums eh? - I bet you can't wait to get your gums around those beauties! :LOL:
Thanks professor (y)

Gravity reshoot shots are awesome. Did you flash these?
No I didn't... I kept waiting for them to fly into a patch of daylight - the things we do :D

Hi DK

plenty needs a bit more light on it a little flash fill maybe :thinking:
I see what your saying Alan, I was trying to catch them in their natural position, shaded from the sun under the leaves with a bit of light coming through, but agree they do look a bit too dull - I have just had a little fiddle to see what I can get out of them... hows this ??? I have upped the exposure a tad and reduced highlights to ensure no clipping

Wk 28 - 'Plenty' edit 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

The reshoot for gravity a good attempt, I tried the very same thing a few weeks ago they are tricky little buggers amazingly fast :bang: I got one useable shot out of about 30 attempts its on my Flickr.
I can only :clap: you for these.
Cheers Mate :)

Shape, oh, yeah, cracker. The greens really work for me as does the detail.
Thanks Andy :)

Plenty, on theme and overall well exposed. Bit of fill light is my only crit.
Thanks... and yes I agree, see above :D

Gravity reshoot #1 for me...'tis a bit lost in #1.

Cheers.
You lost me there :thinking: :D

Think I know what you mean, I didn't crop it much as I liked the colours in the background... this crop any better or is it in too much :)

Wk 27 - 'Re-Shoot' of Wk 3- ' Gravity' - CROP 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

not going much on the plums... maybe too green at the moment, maybe when they've turned nice and purpley...

love the hover flies, these things are tiny and the cropped in one is great... love the sunlight coming through its body and teh movement in the little wings is ace.

The sort of thing you don;t realise how hard it is till you try it.

Really liking the re-processed of re-shoot of Gravity. Nice sharp and right on topic.

Shape and plenty both are well done, the edited version feels better in exposure to me personally.

not going much on the plums... maybe too green at the moment, maybe when they've turned nice and purpley...
You don't want much do you :LOL:

love the hover flies, these things are tiny and the cropped in one is great... love the sunlight coming through its body and teh movement in the little wings is ace.

The sort of thing you don;t realise how hard it is till you try it.
Cheers Graham :)

Really liking the re-processed of re-shoot of Gravity. Nice sharp and right on topic.

Shape and plenty both are well done, the edited version feels better in exposure to me personally.
Thanks Wuyan :)

Although not a great image I like the improvement in the edit too, that's the good thing about the forum we often overlook and miss stuff that others see straight away :)

Been a while I'm afraid
Rocks - I preferred the first
Pair - I preferred the first, more so after the crop
Shape - love the sharpness and colours
Plenty - I agree with the comment of maybe a little more light
Gravity reshoot - love both of these, more so the cropped one
Excellent as usual (y)

Been a while I'm afraid
Rocks - I preferred the first
Pair - I preferred the first, more so after the crop
Shape - love the sharpness and colours
Plenty - I agree with the comment of maybe a little more light
Gravity reshoot - love both of these, more so the cropped one
Excellent as usual (y)
Nice one thanks Mark, I know you have been busy and appreciate the visit (y)

Hi DK,oh look blink and I'm miles behind again!

Process, the B&W works well as does the tight crop (y)

Rock, I'm a fan of number one as well. Love the DOF with the background still distinguishable. I'm not keen on the blurry rock in the foreground but not sure it suits a crop :thinking:

Pair, nice studio shots. Again it's number one for me, the cropped version. I think the lighting works really well. I like the catchlights in her eyes in number two but they're a bit too prominent in number three.

Shape, oooooo pretty flower. Love the bright, almost dayglo, orange bits in the middle.

Plenty, what nice plums you have :LOL: Sad I know I laugh at my own jokes! The edited lifted version is better. Don't forget about some plum chutney when your crop ripens and you don't know what to do with them all!

Gravity reshoot, having spent hours stalking bees I know how difficult bugs in motion are, you've done well with your new toy (y)

Morning DK :wave:

Pair - super idea. Like the last crop with the LH hair removed. Super colours and clean b/g. good skin tones - I might just have cloned out the small freckle on the face - it kind of takes my attention.

Shape - good comp and good colours - meets the theme perfectly.

Plenty - the edit is much better because it has the better dappled light and enough to see the detail. Basic single colour works really well. I thought that they were olives - shows how much I know :D

The close crop on shape works fine for me. Lovely colours and beautifully sharp.

Undecided about the plums, but can't pinpoint any specific thing I'm not keen on.

I really like the last crop of the hoverfly. The gorgeous colour fade in the background is the star there I reckon. The blur in the wings against the sharp, bright body works great.

Hi DK,oh look blink and I'm miles behind again!
Nothing new there :naughty:

Process, the B&W works well as does the tight crop (y)

Rock, I'm a fan of number one as well. Love the DOF with the background still distinguishable. I'm not keen on the blurry rock in the foreground but not sure it suits a crop :thinking:
Oooooo another thinking that... Think I'm being out voted :D

Pair, nice studio shots. Again it's number one for me, the cropped version. I think the lighting works really well. I like the catchlights in her eyes in number two but they're a bit too prominent in number three.
Thanks Marsha :)

Shape, oooooo pretty flower. Love the bright, almost dayglo, orange bits in the middle.
Thanks again :)

I'm glad I caught it when I did and that actual one has not opened again since !!!

Plenty, what nice plums you have :LOL:

Sad I know I laugh at my own jokes!
Don't we all :D

The edited lifted version is better. Don't forget about some plum chutney when your crop ripens and you don't know what to do with them all!
Oooo plum chutney !!! never done any but like the sound of that

Gravity reshoot, having spent hours stalking bees I know how difficult bugs in motion are, you've done well with your new toy (y)
Thanks Marsha

Morning DK :wave:

Pair - super idea. Like the last crop with the LH hair removed. Super colours and clean b/g. good skin tones - I might just have cloned out the small freckle on the face - it kind of takes my attention.
Hey Alan - Thanks :)

Shape - good comp and good colours - meets the theme perfectly.
Cheers :)

Plenty - the edit is much better because it has the better dappled light and enough to see the detail. Basic single colour works really well. I thought that they were olives - shows how much I know :D
Hahaaaaa... well I hope they are plumbs, if not I have been eating olive crumbles :D

love the reshoot of gravity and actually I like the wide shot with all the space around it rather than the tighter crop
That's a different vote - Thanks Chris :)

The close crop on shape works fine for me. Lovely colours and beautifully sharp.
Cheers Nick :)

Undecided about the plums, but can't pinpoint any specific thing I'm not keen on.
I know what you mean mate, nothing exciting about it thats for sure :)

I really like the last crop of the hoverfly. The gorgeous colour fade in the background is the star there I reckon. The blur in the wings against the sharp, bright body works great.
Thank you :)

That gravity re-shoot crop is awesome.

Great effort.
Cheers Alan :)

And on to the next...

Right this one isn't as sharp as I wanted it, I tried different shutter speeds and again I had to compromise, as the road with the best bit of hedge was a tad bumpy, so I had to be fast enough to freeze the bumping of the car yet not too fast as it got rid of too much background blur !!!

I may shoot this one again in a different location... and when there is better light...

Week 29 - 'Speed'

Wk 29 - 'Speed' by TP DK, on Flickr

THANKS as usual for visiting and commenting :)

AND a special thanks to Mrs DK for going around in circles, back and forth to get this shot :D

Last edited:
Hi DK :wave:

I think it would work better if the car was more to the left of the frame, otherwise it works for me, the BG blur is really good. :clap:

On another note nice of you to thank Mrs DK my partner Jane asks every Saturday "whats the theme and where are we going" :LOL:

Yeah if the car was sharp it would be awesome, but composition works well for me

Now how do you actually pan the camera? That is beyond me.....
Or are you going for no movement effect on the car from a static position and then artificially blurring the BG?

Last edited:
Ha ha love how you got the missus to circle round to get the shot, there is one chance of my missus doing that for me to get a picture..no chance.

As for the picture its self, think you may be a tad harsh there, it still has enough sharpness on the car to give that speed effect. maybe if the back wheel look more like the front but that's a bit picky.

If the car was a little earlier in the frame it would be better.

As it is it's a very good image with everything (else) right (y)

Hi DK :wave:

I think it would work better if the car was more to the left of the frame, otherwise it works for me, the BG blur is really good. :clap:
Thanks Allan :) looking back at it I think your right !!!

On another note nice of you to thank Mrs DK my partner Jane asks every Saturday "whats the theme and where are we going" :LOL:
Hahaaaaa yes... Mrs DK and both my children are always pleased to help, I just always forget to put out a thanks :bonk:

Yeah if the car was sharp it would be awesome, but composition works well for me
Cheers Chris :)

I was so sure I had caught it when I checked it on my camera, the first few runs I kept clipping the front or rear of the car or there was not enough blur - with this I thought I had cracked it until I uploaded it :bang:

Now how do you actually pan the camera? That is beyond me.....
Or are you going for no movement effect on the car from a static position and then artificially blurring the BG?
I just stayed put at a small side turning that leads to a church so is little used, I Tried catching the car in both directions, I set the focus to 'expanded spot' (I think that's what it is called) kept the centre spot to centre frame and with A1 servo and slow speed continuous I picked up the car as it appeared over the brow of the hill, then followed into and across the frame until it was past centre/side on, as that I believed would give the greatest blur to the hedge.

What I did't bank on was that seems it was a narrow country lane again I was so close to the road edge that once it got close to central and Mrs DK whizzing past at 54.mph it was a tad hard to keep up :D

Last edited:
Ha ha love how you got the missus to circle round to get the shot, there is one chance of my missus doing that for me to get a picture..no chance.

As for the picture its self, think you may be a tad harsh there, it still has enough sharpness on the car to give that speed effect. maybe if the back wheel look more like the front but that's a bit picky.
Cheers Gregor :)

I think as you say it is passable but I'd love to have got it tack sharp... moon on a stick time :D

If the car was a little earlier in the frame it would be better.

As it is it's a very good image with everything (else) right (y)
Cheers Mark :)

Now uploading a re-crop... should be up in a couple of moments :)

Here you go... nothing changed other than a re-crop and rear wheel hub badge cloned with the LR spot removal tool (I know I'm lazy :D)

Not sure if this is too much off now... and I feel I'm loosing too much hedge ???

Wk 29 - 'Speed' Re-Crop by TP DK, on Flickr

Back