weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

Yuk - Creepy...

Number 2 for me. Good subject for mono and I like the composition, if I didn't know what size it was from the other pics I wouldn't be able to tell. "sizeless" perhaps?

Nice one.

Morning Dean , thought I'd best try n catch up before the new theme !

Step.. tiltshift edit for me....works really really well , great movement in the water & a neat idea (y)

Mono.....#2 for me.....love the placement , the lighter area's draw your eye to the detail...beautifully captured :clap:

I agree with Blondie and Brian, number two for me too, great placement and detail.

#2 for me too - top detail and composition.....

love the depth and layers in #1 though too... if the far line of trees were'nt washed out - it really wouldn;t have the same appeal to me.

#3 has detail in spades - but is just a bit too in yer face for me.

#1 gets my vote Dean (y)
The layer effect has a real depth to it, and as Graham, if the top line trees weren't washed out, it wouldn't have the same appeal.

Posting on here doesn't quite do it the justice it deserves, far better to view it on flickr.

Good work rate Dean, you've surpassed yourself :LOL: (Marsha watch out :LOL:)

3, how very dare you :D
Just trying to catch up with you mate :LOL:

Yeah, I agree, #1 for me as well. Good detail,and cracking wide angle. Cracking layers across the photograph. Has a real Apocalypse Now! Feel to it.

On #2 the shards of light really stand out.

Good set (y)
Cheers Andy :)

Hi DK

3 pics :eek: I do really like the 1st one the line of trees is great but I see what you mean about not being able to make out what the blobs are, which are interesting in themselves, so 1 and 3 for me (y)
Thanks Allan, I was really unsure about posting the first without the others, feel I made the right choice now

Yuk - Creepy...

Number 2 for me. Good subject for mono and I like the composition, if I didn't know what size it was from the other pics I wouldn't be able to tell. "sizeless" perhaps?

Nice one.
Hahaaaa cheers Brian :)

Morning Dean , thought I'd best try n catch up before the new theme !
Hey Lynne :)

Step.. tiltshift edit for me....works really really well , great movement in the water & a neat idea (y)
Thanks... that really did rescue the shot didn't it :D

Mono.....#2 for me.....love the placement , the lighter area's draw your eye to the detail...beautifully captured :clap:
Thanks :) seems there is a good variety of choices already !!!!

I agree with Blondie and Brian, number two for me too, great placement and detail.
Cheers John :)

#2 for me too - top detail and composition.....
Thanks Graham :)

Now confirming my feeling wirshing I could have had the detail in the first shot too... wishful thinking

love the depth and layers in #1 though too... if the far line of trees were'nt washed out - it really wouldn;t have the same appeal to me.
Me neither mate :)

#3 has detail in spades - but is just a bit too in yer face for me.
Again think your right there... trying to show the amount of dew on the web but see it is a tad 'in ya face' :D

#1 gets my vote Dean (y)
The layer effect has a real depth to it, and as Graham, if the top line trees weren't washed out, it wouldn't have the same appeal.
Thanks Iain :)

Posting on here doesn't quite do it the justice it deserves, far better to view it on flickr.
That I agree with too mate... you think it needs a black border for here to help ??

Good work rate Dean, you've surpassed yourself :LOL: (Marsha watch out :LOL:)
Thanks Iain.... I think lol :LOL:

That I agree with too mate... you think it needs a black border for here to help ??

Thanks Iain.... I think lol :LOL:

It wouldn't hurt to try a black border but not sure if it would be too 'heavy' to replicate the look of viewing it on flickr.

I think it would also help 'ground' the image to have something around it.
The light sky works and is an integral part of the scene but against the white background of the forum, it looks a little too washed out. Thats why I think it really works so much better against a black background.

This is one which I think is a wall hanger, a black frame with black mount printed large you are onto a winner. Alternatively, a large canvas hung on a dark wall would work equally as well IMHO

Hi DK

Mono - 3 good images and you seem to have really brought out commentator's preferences for types of shot as they all seem to have their supporters.

#2 has really good light and comp. #3 has good detail but not sure about the dominance of the subject nor its position in the shot.

#1 - well I am a little lost for words (but go on then , I'll try) . I took Iain's advice and looked on Flickr as well. This is a top drawer shot for me. Like the linearity and the gradations thro the shot. Top line of trees is superb. It is an excellent landscape and the theme of mono suits it so well. looks great on a black b/g and I think that just a border would not be as effective a the black mount suggested by Iain. Print it and give it to your 'admin lady' for her help.

It wouldn't hurt to try a black border but not sure if it would be too 'heavy' to replicate the look of viewing it on flickr.

I think it would also help 'ground' the image to have something around it.
The light sky works and is an integral part of the scene but against the white background of the forum, it looks a little too washed out. Thats why I think it really works so much better against a black background.

This is one which I think is a wall hanger, a black frame with black mount printed large you are onto a winner. Alternatively, a large canvas hung on a dark wall would work equally as well IMHO
Cheers Iain :) I may have a go at that next week, I'm sadly hoping for a wet day so I can have a day on my computer playing with my photo's :)

Hi DK

Mono - 3 good images and you seem to have really brought out commentator's preferences for types of shot as they all seem to have their supporters.

#2 has really good light and comp. #3 has good detail but not sure about the dominance of the subject nor its position in the shot.
Exactly right mate :)

#1 - well I am a little lost for words (but go on then , I'll try) . I took Iain's advice and looked on Flickr as well. This is a top drawer shot for me. Like the linearity and the gradations thro the shot. Top line of trees is superb. It is an excellent landscape and the theme of mono suits it so well. looks great on a black b/g and I think that just a border would not be as effective a the black mount suggested by Iain. Print it and give it to your 'admin lady' for her help.
Many Thanks Alan, I think she would like that :)

Here we go then...

Wk 32 - 'Connection' a variety to choose from, the reasoning is my preference is actually the butterflies but feel the theme/link is the weakest/most tenuous (The butterflies connection with the flower/pollen - it's tongue), so have added one of my other ideas too, these I feel are more in connection with the theme (Steel connecting to wood) but for me a is tad boring... interested to hear your choices as usual :)

As usual - Best Viewed on Flickr

Wk 32 - 'Connection' Alt 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 32 - 'Connection' Alt 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 32 - 'Connection' 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 32 - 'Connection' 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 32 - 'Connection' 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
The butterfly in your 52 is a very good photo, well done on getting the fuzz on it's back in focus.

hmmm, the 2nd screw or the third butterfly...

first screwlooks a bit odd - due to the 90º I presume... great detail in the splitting wood at the entry point...

but for difficulty has to be the buterfly, third is best of the three for me due to the spread of its wings being visible. Great colours and focus point.

Like the DOF as is, unsure if greater would have improved it or not. :thinking: Great composition too. (y)

Number 2 butterfly for me.

It just seems to have the tube thing from the butterfly to the flower as the main point of interest in the shot. Reminds me of a Refuelling rig. :D

I like all the mono shots, but #1 stands out for me, the overall image just works really well, and the treeline at the back is beautiful. #2 is a close second, with enough detail and nice composition.

The second screw shot is really nice, the DOF drawing the eye to the point of entry, and that great detail. The butterfly is a nice take on the theme though, and the first shot stands out for me. The colours make it really easy to look at.

Hi DK

3rd butterfly for me too, good colour and detail and the connection theme works for me :clap:

Hi ya fella

Connection....gotta be the Butterfly shots & of them #2 stands out head & shoulders over the others for me. I love the spacing of the appendages and the fuzzy back

Looks like you had fun with the macro lens

Look forward to seeing your next ones

Ps how many TP ers left and hanging in there? Im just about !!!

The butterfly in your 52 is a very good photo, well done on getting the fuzz on it's back in focus.
Thanks Mark :)

hmmm, the 2nd screw or the third butterfly...

first screwlooks a bit odd - due to the 90º I presume... great detail in the splitting wood at the entry point...
I think your right Graham, it does look odd like that, maybe I should have done it portrait :thinking:

but for difficulty has to be the buterfly, third is best of the three for me due to the spread of its wings being visible. Great colours and focus point.
Thanks mate... they are surprisingly nippy little buggers :LOL:

Like the DOF as is, unsure if greater would have improved it or not. :thinking: Great composition too. (y)
Thanks... I did try a few different f-stops and to be honest at this distance there was not much in it :)

Hey Lynne :)

Connection....gotta be the Butterfly shots & of them #3 stands out head & shoulders over the others for me ...more of those delicate wings on show yet still perfect focus on the proboscis.....super shots mister :clap::clap:
Proboscis... now there's a word I don't hear often :LOL:

Thanks Lynne :)

Number 2 butterfly for me.

It just seems to have the tube thing from the butterfly to the flower as the main point of interest in the shot. Reminds me of a Refuelling rig. :D
Hahaaaaa Thanks Brian :)

I like all the mono shots, but #1 stands out for me, the overall image just works really well, and the treeline at the back is beautiful. #2 is a close second, with enough detail and nice composition.
Thanks Nick... I am tempted to do this on a canvas as the mono would go well in my hallway :)

The second screw shot is really nice, the DOF drawing the eye to the point of entry, and that great detail. The butterfly is a nice take on the theme though, and the first shot stands out for me. The colours make it really easy to look at.
Thanks again Nick... appreciated :)

3rd butterfly for me as well. I think the theme is pretty clear, so I'd not let that worry you.
Thanks Tony, I wasn't so sure if it was a shoehorn too far :)

Rest fo the stuff I've missed is great as usual.
Cheers :)

Hey Allan :)

3rd butterfly for me too, good colour and detail and the connection theme works for me :clap:
Cheers Buddy :)

Hi ya fella
Hi Carl :)

Connection....gotta be the Butterfly shots & of them #2 stands out head & shoulders over the others for me. I love the spacing of the appendages and the fuzzy back
Thanks Carl, I sure prefer them :)

Looks like you had fun with the macro lens
I sure did, Looks like good weather today so may take it out for a bit :)

Look forward to seeing your next ones

Ps how many TP ers left and hanging in there? Im just about !!!
I'll be doing the spreadsheet shortly and will let people know - well done for keeping in there (y)

No explanation required... I tried to get as many words on the board/racks that relate to the week/theme, not as easy as I thought even when I had all the tiles !!!

I tried different f-stops but prefered the narrower DoF as usual, let me know what you think - Thanks :)

Wk 35 - 'Whimsical'

Wk 35 - 'Whimsical' by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Damn nice start - and how I wish I'd thought of it!

I'm really loving the detail too - s*oe*orn :LOL:
Week thirty five and so on... very good.

Loving the DoF too - well shot sir, well shot...

BTW I have to know what were in the other two holders?

Hi DK
First in :thinking:
Really well thought out great attention to detail :clap: can't fault it.
Thats a very posh Scrabble board too :eek:
Excellent work

Dean, someone's hacked your computer and posted early :D

Missed a few.

Great detail and colour in the butterflies, but it's screw #1 for me. Great detail and composition.

Whimsical, I suspect there will be a few shoehorns but this really works for me. Great composition, detail, like the muted colours work for me. Great use of words. Crit, well, just the BG/surface. Almost looks like it's a composite.

Cheers and hope Dean returns soon.

Brilliant. That made me chuckle; took me a few mins to work out the missing letters. Class.
Thanks Alan, glad it made you chuckle :D

PS Just seen the connection shot with the screw. That really is top notch with perfect DoF.
Thanks again :)

Damn nice start - and how I wish I'd thought of it!
Hahaaaa that's why I was so quick before anybody did :D

I'm really loving the detail too - s*oe*orn :LOL:
Week thirty five and so on... very good.

Loving the DoF too - well shot sir, well shot...
Cheers John :)

BTW I have to know what were in the other two holders?
I'd love to say I had words on there too... but they are just randomly spaced tiles to look as though the players were juggling words :D

Hi DK
First in :thinking:
I know... it's a strange feeling for me too :D
Really well thought out great attention to detail :clap: can't fault it.
Thats a very posh Scrabble board too :eek:
Excellent work
Oooo thanks mate :)

Dean, someone's hacked your computer and posted early :D
I feel like somebody must have too... I have the rest of the week to catch up on my other bits now :D

Missed a few.

Great detail and colour in the butterflies, but it's screw #1 for me. Great detail and composition.
Thanks Andy :)

Whimsical, I suspect there will be a few shoehorns but this really works for me. Great composition, detail, like the muted colours work for me. Great use of words. Crit, well, just the BG/surface. Almost looks like it's a composite.

The background is a lightly textured toughened glass patio table, I wanted natural light and a not quite solid black background to help the colours :)

Cheers and hope Dean returns soon.
I Don't :LOL:

Works for me, one thing that stands out for me (esp on the full res) is the clarity and sharpness of the tiles and board... Focus point and DOF used really well too. New camera working fine.. (y)

Works for me, one thing that stands out for me (esp on the full res) is the clarity and sharpness of the tiles and board... Focus point and DOF used really well too. New camera working fine.. (y)
Thanks Graham... and yep, camera is wonderful!!! I just love getting out with it :)

really good idea, love how all the letters you see spell something relevant too

proper sharp, was impressed about how clear the texture of skin on the person's hand is
Thanks Chris :)

Well moving on again...

I had several ideas for beginning, my rosebuds and washing line didn't work as expected :bang:

So here are a couple of shots of a little fluffy guy I took 300+ pics trying to get the right shot... god these little buggers wiggle around too and just head in the wrong direction - maybe I should have put him in the freezer for 10 mins to calm him down :D

What have I learnt... when shooting these things, while concentrating on trying to spot focus on its face/head try to keep another eye on the buggers Ass that kept wiggling out of shot :bonk:

Thanks for looking as usual :)

Week 33 - 'Beginning' of a butterfly (I Think)

Wk 33 - 'Beginning' 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 33 - 'Beginning' 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

#2 I prefer. I see what you mean about the wriggling, the first doesn't quite look right with the tail out of focus i think

You certainly have a lot of patience, 300 shots? Gosh...

Thanks Chris... Yeah 327 I think was the full amount, I must have spent a good hour, I have looked for these several times and when I finally found one the light was good but the wind was terrible, after trying many shots of it in situ and trying to hold the stem still in the wind, moving the pot shielding it, so in the end removed a twig from the rose bush I found it on and had to keep moving it about, the little bugger still kept wanting to hide under a leaf :bat:

Urghh! Ive just had my tea. Its making my stomach churn!!

Great colours on this one.

With the shape of the bug thing and composition im not quite sure where to look. The first thing that hits me is the "sticky up thing" :thinking: in the middle which looks out of focus. I then find myself searching for the focal point which i then presume to be the head.

Therefore maybe a little more DoF or recomposition perhaps?

Urghh! Ive just had my tea. Its making my stomach churn!!

Great colours on this one.

With the shape of the bug thing and composition im not quite sure where to look. The first thing that hits me is the "sticky up thing" :thinking: in the middle which looks out of focus. I then find myself searching for the focal point which i then presume to be the head.

Therefore maybe a little more DoF or recomposition perhaps?
Thanks Alan :)

Yeah I'd like to catch it again this weekend if possible and have another bash out of the wind, I know what direction I want it to face, so maybe if I get a little stick to keep poking it with :naughty:

Whimsical...

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this fantastic image. I just kept on looking and pointing and laughing, in the end I had made so much noise that I had the whole family round the computer and we ALL thought it was amazing. 10/10 brilliant:clap:

Beginning: Sounds like this took even more effort than whimsical, I think I like it but that thing sticking out of the top of it has me feeling uneasy. <gulp> Nice focus and fraiming. (y)

Hi ya Dean :wave:

Whimiscal......absolute belter of a shot ( reminds me a similar one I did in last years 52 ) but your is streets ahead...great lighting , love the words spelt out , good detail in the hand with good skin tones as well....brilliant :clap::clap:

Beginning......chuckled all the way through your words on taking this shot.....:LOL: 2nd shot for me I think...always prefer closer shots as the amount of detail is so impressive (y)

Back