weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

YAY,!! Finally worked out how to Multi quote on my mini iPad :d

Hi DK Agree with Iain number 2 for also, obviously a great idea too (y) I also like the last one you posted really nice colour and the distant boat is not too obvious, works for me.
thanks Allan... Anybody that chose a beach is a genius this week :D

I'm going with the crowd, two for me too, but four is a very very close second
thanks John :)

Hi Dean Thanks for your never ending hard work keeping the spreadsheet ...top work mister :clap:
your welcome... Keeps me out of trouble :D

Solitude.......hmmmmm, choices choices....think Andy's comment about silhouetting your other half has merit but they still work as shot....excepting the crop....I'd be tempted to crop quite a chunk off the bottom of all & a sliver of the rhs baring the seascape one ( which strangely enough I did as well but as not as well as yours !)
thanks Lynne :)

Certainly an easy edit I will try when I get back home Thursday... I'm currently so far up the country I think I may get a nose bleed !!!

Up to date though, good work on that score.
You and Marsha have excelled yourselves this week :LOL:;)

Are we the come back kids ;)

Hey DK. Glad to see you've all caught up as well (y)

I have to go with number two for solitude as well. I love sitting and watching the sea, I find it very calming and peaceful. I think this is more about having some peace and quiet rather than being alone, if that makes sense.
I do agree that it needs 'something' extra', maybe a crop of mono conversion, not sure.

Power, where is it?

Curve, oooo I like that beach shot (cropped) with the life guard and the flag. Maybe a biiiig stretch for the theme though but I love the gradient in the sky.
I think number one has to be the most obvious choice as it's bang on theme, but do feel it's a tad grey.

Still, brilliant. I love how you've managed to get eye contact with the girl closest! Super sharp too (y)

Whimsical, this made me chuckle, shoehorn indeed :LOL:

Not got time to comment on all of them. But loving the detail on your caterpillar and butterfly. I bet you're loving that new camera?

Are we the come back kids ;)

Hey DK. Glad to see you've all caught up as well (y)
Aren't we just :D

I have to go with number two for solitude as well. I love sitting and watching the sea, I find it very calming and peaceful. I think this is more about having some peace and quiet rather than being alone, if that makes sense.
I do agree that it needs 'something' extra', maybe a crop of mono conversion, not sure.
Thanks... I may well have a fiddle today/this evening :)
Power, where is it?
DOH :bonk:

I'll put that up next... I tell ya i'm losing the plot :nuts:

Curve, oooo I like that beach shot (cropped) with the life guard and the flag. Maybe a biiiig stretch for the theme though but I love the gradient in the sky.
I think number one has to be the most obvious choice as it's bang on theme, but do feel it's a tad grey.
Looking back it is a tad isn't it... i need more 'tweaking time'

Still, brilliant. I love how you've managed to get eye contact with the girl closest! Super sharp too (y)
Why thank you :)

Whimsical, this made me chuckle, shoehorn indeed :LOL:
:D

Not got time to comment on all of them. But loving the detail on your caterpillar and butterfly. I bet you're loving that new camera?
Thanks Marsha thats a big catch up considering how manic it must be for you :)

The Camera.... Ooooo I LOVE IT :love:

Either of the first two for solitude, the first she seems to be looking for something, the second just a very peaceful shot.

Still, corker of a shot (y)

Well... where did my 'Power' pics go, must have forgot to press post :bang:

More choices i'm afraid, i now do this because I know how much you like having to choose :D

I liked the 3 following pics for different reasons, this time they are all just different angles of the same subject... your opinions are most welcome as always

Wk 37 - solar 'Power'

I liked this one as it shows how fields once covered in crops are now being slowly being taken over by this new wave of farming...

Wk 37 - 'Power' 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

This next one I liked because of the installed panels peeking through the shiny empty frames

Wk 37 - 'Power' 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

And this last one I liked because of the access track and the security fencing, but not sure if the communication tower needs removing !!!

I also wish I had a better angle that had the track leading into the shot a bit more...

Wk 37 - 'Power' 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and commenting as usual guys :)

Last edited:
Curve #1 for me, the composition and the shadow work really well together.

I love Still, just a vibrant and fun shot... I can hear the screams from here.

I like Solitude 2 a lot, nice composition, nice colours and nice lines pulling you in. Assuming it's posed, it's maybe a bit better if she wasn't holding her coat.

Sup...Solitude #1 for me. The pose, lighting, and textures in the beach work for me. Power #2. Interesting interpretation and nice layers.

Cheers.

Power #1 and solitude #2

(y)

Solitude it's the lead in of the shoreline and the distant gaze that work better for me on this one, the solar panels are a great take for power - Only have ones on house roofs round us. I think it;s just te cleaner view of this one that works, the fence and the frames in the foreground could work, but I'm not really sure how, so the (almost) infinite view of the panels works best for me.

Hi ya :wave:

Power.....hmmmm, difficult choice from the 3....think I'm edging towards 3# even with the fence wire in the way...could ya not have stuck the lens trough the wire or at least right up against it ?

Hi DK

Power number 1 for me cant really explain why so I will leave it at that, it would have been nice maybe to get a slightly higher view, do you not carry ladders with you? :p

Oh choices again! I think I like number one for the wider feel to it however the ones OOF at the front are a little off putting to me.

I've just looked through your Flickr shots from London. Some great images in there. I wish I had the guts to photograph people, there are some real 'characters' to be found!

Solitude: I think I like your first shot the best DK! I like the way the shot is divided into thirds (almost anyway!) sand - sea - sky, with Mrs DK providing the 'solitude' element. Like it!

Power: Again, first one for me! I prefer seeing a bit more of the sky and I quite like the fact the lines of the panels don't quite line up, but they still lead you in to the picture. Shame about the empty frames at the front, but can't be helped! Nice work! (y)

Curve #1 for me, the composition and the shadow work really well together.
Thanks Nick :)

I love Still, just a vibrant and fun shot... I can hear the screams from here.
I'm glad they were not sick :D

I like Solitude 2 a lot, nice composition, nice colours and nice lines pulling you in. Assuming it's posed, it's maybe a bit better if she wasn't holding her coat.
Posed... well just about, just asked her to keep walking up and down, throw stones, stand and stare Etc... didn't think of the coat at first :bonk:

Cheers for all the feedback :)

Hey :)

Solitude #1 for me. The pose, lighting, and textures in the beach work for me. Power #2. Interesting interpretation and nice layers.

Cheers.
Cheers matey (y)

Power #1 and solitude #2

(y)
Thanks Graham :)

Solitude it's the lead in of the shoreline and the distant gaze that work better for me on this one, the solar panels are a great take for power - Only have ones on house roofs round us. I think it;s just te cleaner view of this one that works, the fence and the frames in the foreground could work, but I'm not really sure how, so the (almost) infinite view of the panels works best for me.
Thanks again mate, I wasn't too sure either to be honest :D... I had just tramped through two fields in my suit and shiny shoes to get near them... was a tad messy but worth the wander :geek:

Hi Lynne :)

Power.....hmmmm, difficult choice from the 3....think I'm edging towards 3# even with the fence wire in the way...could ya not have stuck the lens trough the wire or at least right up against it ?
Hahaaaa most of them were through the fence or over it (Arms Stretched) but for this one I wanted the wire in view to add a sense of boundaries & enclosure, I tried one with the CCTV camera's that were on nearly every other post too, was also waiting to get nabbed, Dodgy guy in suit with camera in the field :cautious:

Hi DK

Power number 1 for me cant really explain why so I will leave it at that, it would have been nice maybe to get a slightly higher view, do you not carry ladders with you? :p
Hahaaa fukker :LOL:

BUT funny you say that, i'm thinking of returning with a hop-up and my mono-pod, so I can get a arms well stretched image over the fence :geek:

Oh choices again! I think I like number one for the wider feel to it however the ones OOF at the front are a little off putting to me.
Ohhhhh I quite liked that bit :p

I've just looked through your Flickr shots from London. Some great images in there. I wish I had the guts to photograph people, there are some real 'characters' to be found!
Ahhhhh I don't imagine you being shy at taking shots like that !!!!

Thanks for the kind comments as usual :)

Solitude: I think I like your first shot the best DK! I like the way the shot is divided into thirds (almost anyway!) sand - sea - sky, with Mrs DK providing the 'solitude' element. Like it!
Cheers Matt :)

Power: Again, first one for me! I prefer seeing a bit more of the sky and I quite like the fact the lines of the panels don't quite line up, but they still lead you in to the picture. Shame about the empty frames at the front, but can't be helped! Nice work! (y)
Thanks again :)

I sure intend top re-visit once all the panels are in, wanting to get sun-bursts glinting off the frames if I can time it right :)

Moving On.... Trying to keep up

Plain and simple - was playing around with my lights again the weekend, getting ready for the dark evenings.

What have I learnt this week... I need MUCH more practice and maybe a third light :)

Wk 39 - 'Sweet'

Wk 39 - 'Sweet' by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
A literal take on the theme Dean but absolutely nowt wrong with that (I would say that though) ;)
You've handled the lighting well, its nicely spread across the image and is well balanced.

A literal take on the theme Dean but absolutely nowt wrong with that (I would say that though) ;)
You've handled the lighting well, its nicely spread across the image and is well balanced.

Hi DK, now I'm not going to argue with that, chocolate gets my vote every time!

I thank you've done well with the lighting, I also like the light reflections in the corners on the choccie lining(y)
Thanks Guys :)

I know it wasn't a very exciting/inspiring shot, but I did enjoy playing with my lighting again, so just happy it appears ok to you two too :)

Hi DK

I dont think you could light it any better to be honest I dont know what a third light would add to it, the plastic is very reflective so adding another light might make more reflections,
nicely exposed and works how it is for me but as you say not the most exciting, but its always nice to learn something

Hi DK

Still - inspired :clap: Greta capture of stillness with the carriage, hair , expressions and yet we all know that the thing was going at a fair lick. Really, really good

Solitude - #1 and #2 both good. Prefer #1 as has a more wistful feeling, lost in thoughts - whatever they may be. Also like comp with that blurred f/g

Power - def #1. Good comp with the curved sweep of the panels following the land. Has the feel of a carpet of lavender. Wonder what it would look like with the bottom rail cropped away, giving an abstract feel of the panels against the naturalistic b/g . #2 and #3 spoiled by the tower at rear.

Sweet - only one left?? You greedy b.....r. :eek: Hope that you shared them with your hard working model.
Well handled light - the reflections really lift the ordinary plastic case. Good colours and detail and comp is just right.

OOO Shiney like cat womans PVC cat suit... Well, that's got me licking my lips!

The plastic looks great. The choc looks a bit lonely though. (btw where are his friends? - what do you mean by "inside you"!)

Did the lights melt the chocolate? :D

Hey Alan :)

Still - inspired :clap: Greta capture of stillness with the carriage, hair , expressions and yet we all know that the thing was going at a fair lick. Really, really good
Cheers Mate... considering I put it in as a temp image, it is getting great feedback :)
Solitude - #1 and #2 both good. Prefer #1 as has a more wistful feeling, lost in thoughts - whatever they may be. Also like comp with that blurred f/g
Thanks Again - I like the foreground too :)

Power - def #1. Good comp with the curved sweep of the panels following the land. Has the feel of a carpet of lavender. Wonder what it would look like with the bottom rail cropped away, giving an abstract feel of the panels against the naturalistic b/g . #2 and #3 spoiled by the tower at rear.
I think your right mate, I should have cloned them buggers out :bonk:

Sweet - only one left?? You greedy b.....r. :eek: Hope that you shared them with your hard working model.
Of course mate :LOL:
Well handled light - the reflections really lift the ordinary plastic case. Good colours and detail and comp is just right.
Cool :)

OOO Shiney like cat womans PVC cat suit... Well, that's got me licking my lips!
Me too mate, me too :D

The plastic looks great. The choc looks a bit lonely though. (btw where are his friends? - what do you mean by "inside you"!)
:LOL:

We did have to eat a few... had to ya know, the word was 'sweet' singular so it was a must :naughty:

Did the lights melt the chocolate? :D
They NEVER stay in the box that long in my house !!!

Nice shot for sweet, nicely lit, nicely composed, nicely exposed, nicely processed, perfectly on theme.... hard to fault, but hard to see it as more than just a nice shot of a sweet!

That's not supposed to be harsh, or critical, but sums up the difficulty of bringing that little bit of "x-factor" (not the TV show, the something that makes the difference) into some of these themes.

Nice shot for sweet, nicely lit, nicely composed, nicely exposed, nicely processed, perfectly on theme.... hard to fault, but hard to see it as more than just a nice shot of a sweet!
You aint wrong there Graham :LOL:

That's not supposed to be harsh, or critical, but sums up the difficulty of bringing that little bit of "x-factor" (not the TV show, the something that makes the difference) into some of these themes.
Yep... having the time really is critical for me... at the end of the day the 52 does it's job for me, makes sure I get out with my camera, even if it is only for an hour every now and then :)

Hi, Sweet, on theme, well exposed, nice detail and nice chocky :D

Cheers.
Thanks buddy :D

Evening Dean

You got me at chocolate...particularly those white ones with a drizzle of dark chocolate.....:love:
Hahaaaaa I guess I know the midnight feasts we will all be nibbling on in Feb then :LOL:

Right... the start of the catch up, running a bit behind though so only one tonight

Wk 40 - 'Re-Shoot of Beginning'

This was shot at the right time for week 40 if I recall correctly... on the way to work at the 'Beginning' of the day :D

What did I learn the week I took this... it does pay to have my camera with me every day on the front seat 'Just In Case' I loved the colours of this sky and clouds and had to shoot it

Best viewed on Flick with Black Background :)

Week 40 - 'Re-Shoot 'Beginning' by TP DK, on Flickr

Annnnnnnnd onto the next

Choices Choices, I know how you all like choices, so please choose one of these 3 for my Cut shot :D

I had my idea in mind but due to the bad weather Sat I shot out with my son Kieran on Sunday to find something else (That could also be used in his photography homework :D)

Here we have a section of the new A11 that has been 'Cut' through the wonderful Norfolk landscape

I could pick just the one image, but where would the fun be in that ;)

What did I learn this week... pick images that don't need Soooooooooooooo much cloning to tidy them up :D

Wk 40 - 'Cut'

As always best viewed on Flickr with Black Background :)

Wk 40 - 'Cut' 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 40 - 'Cut' 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 40 - 'Cut' 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Hi Dean, very sorry not popped in for a while. Beginning reshoot, really like it, just the right amount of dark foreground for me, nice colours, nice sky, the mist is a good touch too.
Cut, number 2 for me, nice low angle, great dof and I just fin it easier on my eye compared with the others. Number 3 would have been great with more dof towards the camera.

Hi Dean, very sorry not popped in for a while. Beginning reshoot, really like it, just the right amount of dark foreground for me, nice colours, nice sky, the mist is a good touch too.
Cut, number 2 for me, nice low angle, great dof and I just fin it easier on my eye compared with the others. Number 3 would have been great with more dof towards the camera.
No problem mate... I'm struggling too at the moment - Thanks for the kind comments as usual :)

Super beginning shot there - love the layers of trees receding into the distance - and great colours and clouds / trails in the sky. (y)

cut... prefer the composition of the third, but the deeper black on the road of the second.

Keep going - only 10 (or so) weeks to go!!!

Loving your reshoot (y)

I prefer the composition of the third cut, it would have been better with the focus a little closer to the camera though IMHO

Hi DK

Lovely colours in the reshoot can't fault it really. :clap:

As for cut not sure which one really they would all work, its nice idea, well spotted I think they could all benefit from you being higher up, I think I have mentioned before about you always carrying a ladder :D

Hi Dean :wave:

Reshoot for cut is simply lovely , beautiful colors & lovely layering of same :clap:..might crop a smidge from the top :thinking:

#1 for me out of the Cut shots....super low POV,lovely black tarmac & those curves in to the trees just pulls me through the image :clap:

Sweet works fine. A good selection of chocolate against the dark reflective tray. Can't comment on the lighting, as I wouldn't know where to start, although it's something I'd like to look in to.

I like the sunrise shot a lot, I love the splashes of colour across the sky, and the way the mist creates layers, going back through the frame (if that makes sense).

Cut #2 for me, partly for the focus throughout, and partly for the better sky. Nice composition and a good angle.

I'm for #2 too, (no, not a tutu!)

I'm not sure why to be honest I just prefer it to the other two!

Super beginning shot there - love the layers of trees receding into the distance - and great colours and clouds / trails in the sky. (y)
Thanks Graham :)

cut... prefer the composition of the third, but the deeper black on the road of the second.
I agree mate, If I could have got the darkness with less reflection :)

Keep going - only 10 (or so) weeks to go!!!
i know... we have to just keep it together for a bit longer :nuts:

Loving your reshoot (y)
Thanks Mark :)

I prefer the composition of the third cut, it would have been better with the focus a little closer to the camera though IMHO
I took masses of different angles and DOF... but on that I don't think I did, aint that typical :D

Hi DK

Lovely colours in the reshoot can't fault it really. :clap:
Hey Allan :)

As for cut not sure which one really they would all work, its nice idea, well spotted I think they could all benefit from you being higher up, I think I have mentioned before about you always carrying a ladder :D
Hahaaa that you have, maybe I should have sot on my sons shoulders, he is taller than me now :D

Back