Gary's 365 - Feelings & Emotions (ended early)

Ooooh we could have a psychology debate now! :)

I don't find conflict a way of learning about myself, I feel that if it comes to conflict then it is because of a failure, usually mine, to handle it better. I much prefer to be able to look in the mirror and know that I am doing my best, not just for myself but for the other members of my family.

I know that I'm not as good at it as I was with my late hubby, but I'm working on it again with my new partner. I still get it wrong but at least I know when I do, but that never makes me feel good. Bah!

Ooooh we could have a psychology debate now! :)

I don't find conflict a way of learning about myself, I feel that if it comes to conflict then it is because of a failure,

Hmm, speaking psychologically then, I'v jus revealed one of my character traits by not explaining myself clearly enough!

When I mention conflict, I don't just mean it in the way of agression, I mean it in a way that conflict can also be constructive, for example when somebody says on this forum that they dont like a picture because of technical or artistic reason, its a conflict of ideas, and that means that somebody can improve on something.

Agressive conflict is the failure mode, when emotion gets the better of you an d it descends.

Very good subject, and photo to go with (y)

I was like "Where the fumble has the leg for the controller gone" then realized it must be a PS3 one :D :coat: :LOL:

Tony

I commend you on your ability to really look at your life so deeply and also at your upbringing and to be able to break the cycle. I've said it before and i'll say it again, you might be a lucky man having Claire, but she is also a lucky woman having you.
Bless you both :)

I commend you on your ability to really look at your life so deeply and also at your upbringing and to be able to break the cycle. I've said it before and i'll say it again, you might be a lucky man having Claire, but she is also a lucky woman having you.
Bless you both :)

Shucks ta!! :)

Boy I sure let it all out this morning, going to be hard to keep up this size of daily rant!!! :D

Gary.

Stuck my head in here for the first time today. I tend to stay out of the 365 threads as I have enough trouble with my own daily project but thought a quick peek can't hurt..... I won't get hooked surely.

Wow, I really wasn't expecting it to be a day by day installment for Gary's "new man of the year" campaign.

Are we really going to allow our fave photo forum to become home to this kind of namby pambyness and propaganda? Surely this is a line we will not let be crossed.

Men, it's time to take a stand. Take up your sticks, find a fire to poke and say it loud and proud.....UGG.

Nice work there Mr EG. ;)

Stuck my head in here for the first time today. I tend to stay out of the 365 threads as I have enough trouble with my own daily project but thought a quick peek can't hurt..... I won't get hooked surely.

Wow, I really wasn't expecting it to be a day by day installment for Gary's "new man of the year" campaign.

Are we really going to allow our fave photo forum to become home to this kind of namby pambyness and propaganda? Surely this is a line we will not let be crossed.

Men, it's time to take a stand. Take up your sticks, find a fire to poke and say it loud and proud.....UGG.

Nice work there Mr EG. ;)

Haha :D

APE!

Gary.

I am a very difficult to live with individual I suspect. I am stubborn, arrogant and at times extremely selfish. I talk too much, I often talk over people, and at times, I might refuse to accept I am wrong, even though deep down I know I am.

You can't be that bad if your wife Claire has stuck around for 8 years ;)

Nice picture Gary, (Also like the other one you posted on your flickr)

Control is a funny thing, you're either in or out of control, there's no point in the middle.

2624612732_131d192e03_o.jpg

Gooooooooood day! Don't expect any of this to make sense, I am in a state of extreme hyperness, and I am really struggling to keep a lid on it. I have come into work, and not been able to settle - lots of thoughts going around my head, a bit like a pair of socks in the tumble dryer, and I can't find the bloody stop button!!!

It's when I feel like this I realise I have one or two loose wires, and I love it. I can't quite settle on any feeling so to speak, as there are too many fighting to get to the surface, it's really very confusing...I am currently up and down out my chair every other minute, and when I do sit down, I can't get comfy - just fidgeting. Too much energy running through my body, and I need an outlet.

I know it's at these times I bug people. I don't understand it, but I have the urge to really pick a playful argument, or go and just bug the hell out of someone for no other reason other than amusing myself. I just need attention, contact with a mate, anyone to share my current spike of energy with, and unfortunately, in this office, there is no-one.

This reminds me of school. I was always being pulled up for chewing, swinging on chairs, whistling, drawing on desks, and mostly annoying as many people as I could in the shortest time possible. From a very early age, school was a problem for me. I was always able to get my work out the way more or less instantly. I was so fast, and at times, my hand writing was a blur, the teacher would go crazy. Slow down Gary, take your time, concentrate. I just can't do that though, something keeps me in 6th gear, 100% of the time. It causes problems for other people, but to me, it's my gift.

And what a gift it is. This gift has earned me more black eyes, kicks to the groin and spits to the face than you could every imagine. This gift resulted in me attending more than 7 primary schools, and next no no formal qualifications upon leaving High School in 3rd year. This gift helped send my poor mother, whom I love dearly, to the loony bin 3 times. This gift drove my stepdad to drink, and probably destroyed his life in the process. However, as you are about to learn, It's not all bad!

This gift ensured I was able to leave home at the age of 9, and spend the next 10 years with my mates living a life of luxury in various childrens homes across Edinburgh. If I was a really bad boy, my gift would earn me a trip to Burger King at the expense of the tax payers, or a week with a friendly foster family for a nice relaxing holiday - thanks guys. This gift earned me £20 a week pocket money, £7.50 a week Toiletries allowance, £150 a month clothing allowance, and £5 per week creative arts allowance - again, thanks tax payers. This gift ensured 3 hot meals per day, prepared by a professional chef - the Menu choice at tea time was always impressive.

Most importantly though, this gift has saved my life. I have met the most wonderful people as a result of the way I am. My foster parents Marie and Bill who reminded me that I was a good kid, my heart in the right place. My key workers John, Michelle, Gordon and Martin, the kind of people you meet once in a life time who hold your hand when it needs held, the kind of people who will do ANYTHING to save you from yourself, regardless of the sacrifice to themselves. Shona, Irene, May, Mike and Hugh - night staff who would keep a close guard at your door protecting you from the ******* teenagers a few rooms along. Paul, a selfless Barnardo's volunteer who bent over backwards to get me a job as a trainee web designer all those years ago. And Heather, my social worker for 10 years, who was at my side whenever I needed her, probably one of the kindest and most selfless people I will ever know, she is an absolute star and I wish I was able to find her and let her know just how important she has been to me.

My gift has a number of labels, and you will often hear people debating it furiously. Some call it ADHD, some call it Bad Behaviour, and some call it "a big con". I call it, being me.

Wow - 20 minutes of ranting, and I can now finally pinpoint a feeling. The pic, alas, is staying - it represents my hyper, playful state I was in before I started writing todays 365. Seems though, writing this has worked, after getting all that out, I now feel pretty calm, and I am again reminded of how lucky I have been. Today I feel Privileged. Privileged to have such a gift, and privileged to have had so many fantastic people in my life helping me get to where I am. I love every last one of them. I guess the fact that my pic doesn't really match the feeling I settled on is testamint to the fight of emotions trying to get out a mere 30 minutes earlier.

Gary.

Last edited:
Man you look ultra scary hehe joking

You wrote that in 30 minutes and it took me an hour to read it and understand it :LOL: Good read though.

I think ADHD used to be called just "Bad Behavior" until not so long along, not sure though

Tony

Typical, after the hyper spell this morning I am now dead on my feet, need sleep and in a stinking mood. Nothing to do with the 90 minute drive since work to pick up a new TV for mum :bang:

Such as life ehh :D

Gary.

I cannot believe how open and honest you are on a forum, I have put down a good book just to catch up on this 365 and I know that when I pick my book back up I am going to be disappointed!

your style of writing is as expressive and impressive as your photography and I look forward to each day with baited breath!!

Dude, you are a one of a kind individual (in a good way) and I really hope that you keep this up!

Regards as always

Paul

Well i havent read this in the last two days, i think you have had enough praise from me also ;-)
But,
Wow, again.

You 365 is more interesting, eventful and lets face it 3Million times better then that Big brother program, I usually sit on here while the missus watches that crap on the TV.
I think your 365 is not only a dairy in pictures, but the words that trail them are just as good.
When your famous and your 365 is sent to print at a major book publisher, Remember TP and our poor lives just waiting for your next post within your 365.

I cannot believe how open and honest you are on a forum, I have put down a good book just to catch up on this 365 and I know that when I pick my book back up I am going to be disappointed!

your style of writing is as expressive and impressive as your photography and I look forward to each day with baited breath!!

Dude, you are a one of a kind individual (in a good way) and I really hope that you keep this up!

Regards as always

Paul

Paul,

You have no idea how comments like this make me feel. Perhaps I need this validation? I dunno, but it put a smile on my face reading!!!

Thank you very much, and I am glad you are enjoying reading.

Gary.

Well i havent read this in the last two days, i think you have had enough praise from me also ;-)
But,
Wow, again.

You 365 is more interesting, eventful and lets face it 3Million times better then that Big brother program, I usually sit on here while the missus watches that crap on the TV.
I think your 365 is not only a dairy in pictures, but the words that trail them are just as good.
When your famous and your 365 is sent to print at a major book publisher, Remember TP and our poor lives just waiting for your next post within your 365.

I wish mate. I have a lot of stories, and have had a very interesting life, but no more so than any other kid brought up in one of Britains rough estates.

Gary.

I am currently up and down out my chair every other minute, and when I do sit down, I can't get comfy - just fidgeting. Too much energy running through my body, and I need an outlet.

I think you've found a way of releasing your energy, photography and your 365!

As for your 'Gift'.

Wow. The way you've portrayed it is amazing, in words and also the picture. I'd say to you... i'm sorry for the upbringing, or old times you had when you were younger, BUT would you change any of it? Would you of changed the times when you were down? Learning step by step how to look after yourself and rely on more than two people (parents) to help you. I personally don't think you would of?

You're an inspiration mate, you really are.

As for your 'Gift'.

Wow. The way you've portrayed it is amazing, in words and also the picture. I'd say to you... i'm sorry for the upbringing, or old times you had when you were younger, BUT would you change any of it? Would you of changed the times when you were down? Learning step by step how to look after yourself and rely on more than two people (parents) to help you. I personally don't think you would of?

You're an inspiration mate, you really are.

Don't hate any of my life, even my childhood. I am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason" at times, and I guess, to wish for something in my past to be different, would be admitting I am not happy with who I am?

Thanks for the kind words, seriously.

Gary.

2625834071_c989da2129_o.jpg

My mother used to say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I agree, it's awesome. You take 1 plastic see through bowl, cram as many Sugar Coated Puffs of fun as you can into the gaping chasm, and drown your new found friends in delicious, frothy cold milk. Grab a spoon, and start devouring the creation you so meticulously created 30 seconds earlier. You are in Heaven, and you don't want it to end.

Why is it that food can make us feel like this? How can the simple task of shovelling grub down ones throat, be so pleasing? It's an interesting question, and one I don't know the answer to. Is it the "survival instinct" doing its job? Is it boredom, and the relief of having something to do? Perhaps it's just some animal instinct left over from the days of the apes. I just don't know. What I do know, when you feel ravenous, it's time to eat - and not just any old food. It needs to be quick and tasty.

Burgers, Kebabs, Pizzas, Pies, Pastries, Crisps, Chocolate, Cake, and Cereal - just to name a few candidates for filling the hole.

What happens if this feeling attacks you, at say, 1am? What should you do? This IS the most important meal of the day remember, surely you should eat it? I mean, it would be wrong to ignore all the good advice. So you eat it. You feel better, content, and quite satisfied actually.

Having just destroyed that bowl of Sugar Puffs in less than two minutes, I have to tell you, it felt amazing. I could eat another one right now. And afterwards, I could have jam on toast, I could have a Cheese and Onion Crisp Sandwich, I could have a hot dog on a bun covered in gushing tomato sauce. I am one, greedy, *****. And I love it :)...

Except I don't. I am now wide awake. Wide awake at 5 minutes past 2, and I have an early start. I have absolutely masses of work to do, lot's to catch up on, and I have ZERO time to slack off. I have just resigned myself to a day of misery, as I was too bloody weak to say NO to a plastic bowl of sugar & milk. Idiot? Completely. Not much I can do about it now though, It's a done deed, the food has been consumed, and my body is currently channeling its new found energy to every vital organ, brain included. I have become the honey monster, and I guess I need to ride this out.

Today, I felt ravenous. Now, I feel stupid.

Gary.

Last edited:
have just resigned myself to a day of misery, as I was too bloody weak to say NO to a plastic bowl of sugar & milk. Idiot? Completely.

Very far from it. Last night when you were hungry, you had some food. Nothing wrong with that.

What if you didn't have any food, and due to going to bed late, you woke up late and miss breakfast? That would be your important meal missed for the day. You may of been moody in work, and got less done.

I like the picture, good DOF, and lovely framing.

Very far from it. Last night when you were hungry, you had some food. Nothing wrong with that.

What if you didn't have any food, and due to going to bed late, you woke up late and miss breakfast? That would be your important meal missed for the day. You may of been moody in work, and got less done.

I like the picture, good DOF, and lovely framing.

I made it to bed afterall, had about 4 hours sleep :) Nothing wrong with Midnight Munchies, and I guess my post was a play on the variois elelements, as to be honest I would never really consider a snack at 2 in the morning as breakfast. It was my "searching for justification", and if Mum says its good, its good :D

But it is stupid, lets be honest, having that kind of crap before bed is no good for anyone, apparently fat stores at night too.

Gary.

Yep, but if you hadn't eaten it then your belly would be rumbling and empty - I find that is even worse than going to bed after eating... Lovely picture and story/justification!

See you have entered the TP:pOTY competition as well, I haven't got a hope :) - my first entry as well this month... You got a vote from me (that's not a plee for a vote by the way). Excellent entry!!!

Yep, but if you hadn't eaten it then your belly would be rumbling and empty - I find that is even worse than going to bed after eating... Lovely picture and story/justification!

See you have entered the TP:pOTY competition as well, I haven't got a hope :) - my first entry as well this month... You got a vote from me (that's not a plee for a vote by the way). Excellent entry!!!

Ta, but alas, your vote has been watsed. The poll was closed because someone can't create polls properly :)

Not pointing the finger at Digital FAILURE. :LOL:

Will see your entry when new poll is up :)

Gary.

Nice shot today gary, I know the feeling well, I try my hardest to eat sensibly all day, good food, right amounts, and then when i get home at 12ish, because itl be 6 or 7 hours after I'v had my tea, I'm starving again and go right for the crunchy nut cornflakes, or the ben and jerrys. And then wonder why I cant sleep!!!!!!!!

anywya, excellent photo, love the grittiness to it :D

Good read yet again, but it doesn't seem to have milk in it? :thinking: :LOL:

Tony

Gary, I feel I must apologise here, I have not been viewing your 365 or any of the others, sorry, there is so much to view these days on the forum.
I have missed out on not only some good photos but some good honest eloquent writing, keep it up(y).

Last edited:
Gary, I feel I must apologise here, I have not been viewing your 365 or any of the others, sorry, there is so much to view these days on the forum.
I have missed out on not only some good photos but some good honest eloquent writing, keep it up(y).

No need to apologise mate :) Glad you enjoyed the catchup!! (y)

Gary.

Well done you Gary on being so open! x

Nothing to hide, and talking is a great way to get things off your chest which need said. No one on my office to do this with, and it beats work, so it's easy :)

Gary.

hey gary, just been catching up with the past couple images, absolutely amazing as usual, keep up the good work, i love looking through your photos.:clap::clap:(y)

hey gary, just been catching up with the past couple images, absolutely amazing as usual, keep up the good work, i love looking through your photos.:clap::clap:(y)

Cheers Chris! Enjoying it so far, its good for the mood etc.

Gary.

jiezdc.jpg

STOP!!!
Amazing isn't it? Of all the powerful words in the English language, Stop has to be one of the strongest. It's an instant instruction with no room for misunderstanding. It can only mean one thing, and whoever issues the command, knows exactly what they are saying. Even if you try and imagine all the ways in which it can be said, it still means the same thing every time.

Take my wife, the nervous passenger in a speeding car, hurtling towards an unaware pedestrian. STOP!!!! She screams. It's an instant verbal slap, a warning of danger, a panic alarm, and it scares me s***less every time she does it.

Take my son, with his energetic outbursts and uncanny hatred of sleeping, demanding an extra hour on the Xbox last thing at night. Reminding me how his Mother 'let's him stay up as long as he wants' back at home. Emotional Blackmail at its finest and I won’t accept it. STOP! I tell him. Its bed time and I am NOT going to debate it. Off he goes, knowing he has had his last warning.

Take my Mother all those years ago, trying to deal with a Son who demands his way, every minute of every day. 'Gary please son, stop it. I mean it Gary, I am sick of asking - STOP. Gary, for ****s sake - JUST STOP IT, I CANNOT PUT UP WITH THIS **** ANYMORE! STOP! Please for the love of god STOP!!' It's at this very moment, when you have asked so many times, in a variety of tones, and emotions, and without success, that you snap. You can't take it anymore, you give in, and all hell breaks loose.

I was 9, maybe 10 when it first happened. Living at home with my Mum, Sisters and Stepdad. I remember it very clearly, as if it were yesterday. I had come in from School, in the middle of a blazing argument. My youngest sister would have been a baby at the time, guessing less than a year old. She was sleeping peacefully in her pram, in the middle of a warzone, indifferent to who came off worse in this almighty struggle. I entered the room to catch my Stepdad doing his macho man impression for the umpteenth time, cursing and spitting at Mum, demanding she listen and shut up, telling her to stop answering back, her telling him to stop hurting her. It took all of two seconds for me to pounce at the b*****d. I ran at him, jumped into his back with a thump - and fell to the floor. Another STOP!!! - My Mum screaming at me, top of her lungs, 'Gary STOP IT', knowing exactly what my punishment would be for my interference. I knew though, that it would work, my Mother was about to get a little respite, and I had made him stop, for the time being.

Picked up by the scruff of the neck, I was given the trademark smash across the side of the head. I remember the spot perfectly to this day, slightly upwards of my left ear, a little towards the rear. His massive hand could curve all the way from the side of my face to the central area on the back of my head. I remember the massive thump, as if someone had taken me by surprise and come at me from behind with a lump of wood. Your neck would almost always lunge sideways, and your body would follow your head through the air. I had just earned a one way ticket to the floor, and my final destination was getting closer at an alarming rate. Touchdown, a bumpy one too. Before you get time to think about your flight, you are picked up again, - time for a surprise return trip. Whoosh - lift off is a lot quicker this time, the landing even bouncier. Not sure I can take much more flying today, my head is starting to pound. I scream STOP, over and over, a mixture of panic, fear, and anger - my screams are ignored. Something has to give, and it's at this point, Mum comes to my rescue.

Like a Polar Bear protecting its young, she goes on the attack. Digging her claws deep into his face, she rips and tears as hard and as fast as she can. She screams, swears, punches, bites and kicks - she has been transformed from a weak, battered wreck into a ferocious warrior. And boy, does she have a fight on her hands. Macho Man manages to fight off her advances, and Mum allows herself to be on the receiving end once again. With her hair wrapped around his fist, she is dragged to the Living room door, which is used to pin her down. On her knees, her head and shoulders are trapped between the door and the frame, all whilst Macho Man shouts his tirade of abuse, and applies as much pressure to the door as he possibly can.

Again, I launch myself at him, and again he turns on me. This time though, Mum manages to get a hold of me, and drags me towards the hall. Somehow we manage to leg it through the long narrow corridor, we barge through the cracked and smashed glass partitioned door, down the stairs and into the Garden. The Hulk comes to the top of the stairs, screaming, banging and shouting. Like an atomic bomb, he explodes and launches his fist towards the hall window. He screams in agony, rips his arm back through the smashed and jagged window frame, and collapses to his knees, screaming at the sight of his mangled and bloodied arm. The cream coloured woodchip now wears a pattern of deep red spatters. Blood seems to be everywhere, his screams are everywhere, and my Mum's cries are everywhere.

In a moment of panic, I pull the main door shut, and drag my mum towards the Garden gate. She seems hesitant, determined to get back inside the house - is she crazy? Let him die I scream, he's tried to kill us, he will try and kill you, let him die. Neighbours at this point are in the street, at their windows, and the whole world is watching. Crying, and shaking I try and explain to my next door neighbour what has happened. He seems shocked, yet calm. We are both taken into his house, an ambulance is called and Mum attempts to drink a cup of tea between massive bursts of crying and panicking.

It seemed to take ages to get back in the house. Police, social workers, and other strangers in suits have too many questions for Mum. PC Doig kept me company. I got to play with his hand cuffs, and he had a huge collection of sweets and juice, top bloke. After what felt like an eternity, we were allowed to return home. The stench in the house was instant, sick inducing. The blood had dried into the walls, creating a permanent display of deep red and brown smears and splashes. The corridor back to the living room was covered in blood too, the walls manky red, the carpet soggy and wet - the place was like something out of a horror movie. The living room seemed to have been worst hit. The door was hanging off its hinges, again stained with blood, and opposite the fireplace, a 4ft pool of disgusting sticky blood had soaked through the deep pile carpet. You never forget the smell of blood, its revolting and I hope never to smell it again.

The next day, Macho Man arrived home in a cab. His arm bandaged, and his posture, beaten. He was carrying flowers, and managed a wave up at the living room window. Mum and I got a big cuddle, happy families. Things were fine for a while, good times.

A week later, we get a knock at the door. I answer, and a lady with a kind face says 'Hello, my name is Heather. Can I talk with your Mum?'. Little did I know at the time, this kind woman was about to rescue me. Rescue me from home, rescue me from myself, and rescue me from the life I had grown to hate. She gave me the biggest gift anyone could have ever given me. I asked her for one thing, and one thing only. 'Make it Stop'. And to my surprise, she did.

Gary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read this on flickr - pardon my language but **** me that is one open post! I don't want to delve into your life on the words of just one post but you had it seriously rough... I've had a few backhands in my time, but never ever anything like this!!!
I hope that this man is no longer in either yours, or your mums life and that you don't have to see him anymore.

I could actually feel myself getting a lump in my throat, was like reading an extract from a particularly good book, my girlfriend compares it to a book series she once read - "A boy named Dave" or something.

Seriously dude, you have a talent for writing and a talent for photography - something else truly! I (and I guess others) get to feel like we know you through your posts, I know we obviously don't, but they are so vivid that you can actually picture the scene!

I really think you should keep hi-res images of everything you post on here! Then at the end of the year you should put them all into a photobook - not necessarily to publish, but to keep for yourself as a reminder to you of what you have been through...

As always, my regards and thanks for another outstandingly open post

Paul

I just read this on flickr - pardon my language but **** me that is one open post! I don't want to delve into your life on the words of just one post but you had it seriously rough... I've had a few backhands in my time, but never ever anything like this!!!
I hope that this man is no longer in either yours, or your mums life and that you don't have to see him anymore.

I could actually feel myself getting a lump in my throat, was like reading an extract from a particularly good book, my girlfriend compares it to a book series she once read - "A boy named Dave" or something.

Seriously dude, you have a talent for writing and a talent for photography - something else truly! I (and I guess others) get to feel like we know you through your posts, I know we obviously don't, but they are so vivid that you can actually picture the scene!

I really think you should keep hi-res images of everything you post on here! Then at the end of the year you should put them all into a photobook - not necessarily to publish, but to keep for yourself as a reminder to you of what you have been through...

As always, my regards and thanks for another outstandingly open post

Paul

I dunno if you believe in Karma or not, but I do. He got creamed by a double decker bus, big time. Hospital for several months, afterwhich he wasted away over 2 years before his body finally caved. Strange feeling as this is my two younger sisters dad, and I love all my family dearly. They are so important to me, so I do at times feel bad for the way I speak about THEIR dad.

My posts must at times come across in a way which suggests I have had it sh*t, but it is the opposite. The way I see it, bad things happening are a constant reminder to do good. My past has tuned me perfectly, I try my hardest to put everyone before myself, and I am particularly fussy when it comes to friends and family, and ensuring they are OK.

It's very hard to explain, but I would not change any of it. To hate my past is to hate myself I think, and I dont.

Gary.

**** me, thats quite a post!! I almost got caught crying at work!

My past has tuned me perfectly, I try my hardest to put everyone before myself, and I am particularly fussy when it comes to friends and family, and ensuring they are OK.

Gary.

My mother is one of the nicest people I know. She had a bad childhood, and is writing a book about it.

Gary, I'm crying.

How you've turned into the level headed person you appear to be now, I'll never know.

Back