Harbour 48 = Filter Fantastic?

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
or should I say: Harbour Fraudy8? = Filter Fraudtastic?

Hmmm, Bit of a complicated one to explain this but here goes:

I'm from the UK, I've been living in Helsinki for almost 2 years, I buy all of my gear from overseas as the prices here are way too expensive to even consider.

Normally the goods are shipped to my folks address in the west mids, if the shop/seller won't post to Europe, then they ship them here to me, despite a little more complication it still works out remarkabley cheaper.

I've not had any problems at all up until now, I've bought from Harbour48 before and everything was Kool and the gang - great service, speedy delivery, not a problem..... so it seemed....until now:

Just before Harbour48's ebay page vanished into thin air, I won a bid on a 24-70mm f/2.8L.
The ebay listing was 'brand new, boxed with manual and includes UK/EU warranty' but on receiving the item there was no box, no manual and no warranty card and quite importantly, no legimate sales receipt.

After an immediate phone call to Harbour48's Tracey Fredericks, who said the box must have been damaged and that's why it wasn't included, she would have to investigate the whereabouts of the manual/warranty/receipt and call back.

However on second glance in the packaging, there was a compliment slip that said "Thanks for buying from www.filterfantastic.co.uk", hmmm, but we havent bought from filterfantastic, we bought from harbour48!
It seems that FF are company not too far from Quinton (where H48 are based), that specializes in grey imports, as new and used gear.

So I had a look and I saw this:

http://www.filterfantastic.co.uk/aboutus.html

I'll bet that's the same Tracey Fredericks from H48!
NOTE: They don't advertise any new UK stock on their .co.uk web site. At all.

and then this:
http://forum.photographers.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=583

A little under a week passes and still no phone call from Tracey at Harbour48. My Dad called them again asking for the all the missing bits, this time Tracey said that the box has been lost and can't be found, there is no receipt as they don't pay VAT and the only thing we can do is email the Harbour48 ebay shop requesting the sales invoice.

The reply we got stated that Harbour48 are no longer registered on ebay and that was all it said. No invoice, no nothing.

It appears that they have been selling grey imports and refurbished stock as 'brand new'/UK stock on ebay through various different ebay shops, maybe this was why they dissappeared :thinking:

Harbour48's excuse for the missing pages at the time, was that were are being upgraded from power-seller to platinum seller?!!! Never heard of that one before but I assume it safe to say that it was a big fib.

I will warn that filter fantastic are now selling on ebay and they too are advertising 'brand new UK stock supplied with warranty' despite the .co.uk site advertising refurbs and greys only.

clicky here

I safely assume that filter fantastic are doing the same old scam = selling refurbs and greys as UK stock.

You may ask, why didn't I send the lens back and ask for a refund from harbour48. Well, number one: I need the lens for a number of paid assignments and if I had sent it back I would have been without a lens.
Number 2: I wasn't convinced I would smell a refund at all!
Luckily the lens works.
A slightly sticky zoom ring between 24 and 35mm but other than that it is in perfect working order, the down side is that as I have no official sales receipt so I cannot insure it here in Finland and I also can't take advantage of a warranty in the event of any malfunctions.
On the brights side, the job I did last Thursday however has provided nealry what the lens cost and without the lens I would have struggled to do the job.

The thing is, when I know that what I'm buying has no UK/EU warranty I make allowances, as with the very good one-stop digital in HK, great service and great prices but you know full well that if anything goes wrong you have to ship back to HK to get it sorted. I will deal with one stop again and again, especially when I find the gear paying for itself after a month or two.

I did email Kerso re a 24-70 but I received an auto reply and it turned out and quite fair enough the chap was enjoying a holiday, however, I wasn't in the position to wait until he got back and at that time I had no reason to doubt H48.

FF and H48 are simply low life scum, yes I feel a little stupid but the listing basically lied, I know we are to keep our guards up and I'm ashamed for letting mine down but still....

Anyway, just thought I'd let ya'll know.

all the best

T.

Thanks for the heads up Tomas .... would never have bought from them in a million years though.

I always thought (knew) there was something not quite right about Harbour48 ..... tried to tell myself that it was just me being jealous of them often seeming to get to the real bargains first only to list them at a later date for a vast profit ..... :thinking:

Thanks for the heads up Tomas .... would never have bought from them in a million years though.

I always thought (knew) there was something not quite right about Harbour48 ..... tried to tell myself that it was just me being jealous of them often seeming to get to the real bargains first only to list them at a later date for a vast profit ..... :thinking:

No worries mate, I was right there with you re the gut instinct, but after we had bought a few cheap things off them they were real good, then we moved to slightly more expensive stuff and they were just fine.
Well.... you live and learn I guess.
:nono:

Last edited:
That sucks, Tomas, unfortunately, they're not the only ones (cough, SRS Microsystems, cough) pulling scams on Fleabay

That sucks, Tomas, unfortunately, they're not the only ones (cough, SRS Microsystems, cough) pulling scams on Fleabay

He he, I like the sublty there mate, hey at least my lens works though, that's what I keep reminding myself with. It could be worse aye captain!

I wish I could post some of the pics from the job I did on Thursday, but I have to wait until the magazine is published in August, then I can post! I'm dead chufties like!

I'd still contact trading standards, if they are selling grey imports or recons as new uk stock, that's illegal.

And Ebay were fined 30 million yesterday for allowing people to sell counterfeit goods so now would be a good time to complain!

A 24-70L will have a date code on it! I will tell you when it was made.

And Ebay were fined 30 million yesterday for allowing people to sell counterfeit goods so now would be a good time to complain!

Ebay france that is.

I'd still contact trading standards, if they are selling grey imports or recons as new uk stock, that's illegal.

I should say it's illegal, it doesn;t seem to be stopping them from doing it though.

Wouldn't my geographical and logistical cricumstances make notifying Trading Standards a little complicated?
Also wouldn't Trading Standards require my lens as evidence in order to process or vaildate the accusation? or would the fact that I didn't return it make a difference?

Cheers
T.

A 24-70L will have a date code on it! I will tell you when it was made.

Thanks mate, I sincerely appreciate the offer but how would knowing when it was made help me? The lens I have cannot be insured and has no effective warranty, would knowing the date of construction help?

It looks brand spankin new, has no visible marks, scratches or dinks and works fine apart from the slight sticky zoom, the only thing I have since noticed is it does have the CE stamp on the under side:thinking:

Last edited:
If it was made this year you wouldn't need a receipt for the warranty would you.

If it was made this year you wouldn't need a receipt for the warranty would you.

Not true unfortunately, I've already spent a long while on the blower to Canon on the subject and they say that Canon service centres will only honour warranty repair if you can provide a legimate sales invoice/receipt when taking it in, proving it has had the VAT paid and that it's within warranty period.

Last edited:
Hmmm,

Firstly there should have been a question mark at the end of my last post.

As far as I'm aware and I was told this direct from Canon,
1/ Lenses have a worldwide warranty, so the Vat element doesn't come into it.
2/ If I was on holiday or shooting on location outside the UK how could I be expected to carry every receipt for every lens I have with me for warranty purposes?

Hmmm,

Firstly there should have been a question mark at the end of my last post.

As far as I'm aware and I was told this direct from Canon,
1/ Lenses have a worldwide warranty, so the Vat element doesn't come into it.
2/ If I was on holiday or shooting on location outside the UK how could I be expected to carry every receipt for every lens I have with me for warranty purposes?

No worries like, I had also heard about this no VAT element but Canon Helsinki say other wise. As for the second point, I think that's where the Canon CPS membership would have to come in, for example - offering a temporary replacement if on location outside UK but always at the discretion of availability.
If you were on holiday and your lens needed a service/repair the turn around time is normally projected at two weeks anyway.

On the other hand, I may try my luck if it needs a repair and see what happens.

No probs,

I would still check the date just 'cause I would want to know! :cautious:

No probs,

I would still check the date just 'cause I would want to know! :cautious:

Ok, let's do it out of curiousities sake, but I don't 'spose you could explain how to work it out rather than me posting a serial?

T.

Ah Ha,
now that you know the lens is under 1 year old I would have another go at Canon.

Must look at the warranty paperwork I have today, also I thought you could register the warranty online?

Ah Ha,
now that you know the lens is under 1 year old I would have another go at Canon.

Must look at the warranty paperwork I have today, also I thought you could register the warranty online?

Yeah, I had attempted to register online, it seemed to work but I received no confirmation that the registration was successful, maybe there is no confirmation sent afterward? :shrug:

Please have a butchers at your paperwork and let me know what you find, if by some small chance the person I spoke to at Canon last week was infact a dribbling cabbage and knew not their stuff then maybe I have a valid warranty. I'll call Canon again when I'm home from today's job.
Still though I can't insure this lens which is a big bummer but maybe there are at least some upsides!

Last edited:
Still though I can't insure this lens which is a big bummer but maybe there are at least some upsides!

Why can't you insure it?

Surely the equipment you are insuring doesn't have to be new, with you as first owner. What if it were a gift?

Just write yourself out a receipt for the full amount of replacement and take a photo of it with the lens for proof that the lens exists.

Why can't you insure it?

Surely the equipment you are insuring doesn't have to be new, with you as first owner. What if it were a gift?

Just write yourself out a receipt for the full amount of replacement and take a photo of it with the lens for proof that the lens exists.

It's complicated but I'll try to explain:
Our insurance company states that in the event of loss, damage or theft they will only process the claim upon receiving the original sales receipt.

My insurance plan is 100% old for new.. None of this 25% towards the cost of the item that needs replacing lark. Been caught there before!

The deal with insuring something like a gift is difficult, especially as it is used as a tool for working purposes, it assists to generate income.
I really don't think Finnish insurance companies are going to buy the 'it was a gift' plea.
They would probably ask for the receipt from the person who bought you the 'gift'.

There may be alternate routes to getting a smaller percentage of the lens covered, maybe 15 to 25 % back but it would cost way too much to consider. Thre's no chance I can get it insured fully.

I had the same problem with a purchase from them - it was sold as Brand New, Unused Stock, but when I went to register it with Nikon it showed the serial number had already been registered.

I had the same problem with a purchase from them - it was sold as Brand New, Unused Stock, but when I went to register it with Nikon it showed the serial number had already been registered.

Sorry to hear it Andy , I would assume that anything that was bought from them (with the exception of used gear) was either a refurb, recon or grey import being as it all came from the same supplier/company.

Did you dispute it at all? If you did what did they say?

Hi

Too be honest I didn't do anything regarding a dispute, as the item did look brand new and it worked fine, and I was happy with the price which was below a "used" item.

They are on very dodgy grounds selling refurbs as "new / unused" though.

Indeed.

Actually mine did have a warranty, but it was a strange warranty, with the numbers hand scribbled on, it looked like it had come through a UK refurb house?

There was no receipt though, which is again dodgy as the Ad said... "if you pay VAT you can claim it back making it an even better deal"...

Indeed.

Actually mine did have a warranty, but it was a strange warranty, with the numbers hand scribbled on, it looked like it had come through a UK refurb house?

There was no receipt though, which is again dodgy as the Ad said... "if you pay VAT you can claim it back making it an even better deal"...

Del: I was working in the Tower of London at the time. I was doing the old happy snaps, you know? Second-hand Brownie, no film, pound a go - Lovely Jubbly!

all very interesting reading,especially when i was about to buy a 400mm f2.8 off FF,and they told me it would have a 6month warranty with it,so do i still buy it and take the risk of there being no valid warranty,if i need to claim for a repair on it :bonk:.cheers paul

A new name for them: alldigital0869

I just bought something (seems to be fine/good price etc) but the packing gives the return address as filterfantastic.

That Harbour48 is a thief.

One year ago I bought from them on ebay a Nikon 24-70... 2 days after their ebay page
disappeared.

I contact him every day because the lens didn't arrive...

Then I asked them for the refund and he told me he will do that.. bla bla bla...

Couple of months later the same deal... No lens, no refund.. Only excuses...

Now one year later I lost my money and he doesn't reply....

I'd love to meet him... And show him how good it would be to take with my Soviet 1Kg 85mm lens on his head...

can we make a list of the names of the various companies and then email ebay as well as trading standards. this will pop up on google quickly and the game will be up.

can we make a list of the names of the various companies and then email ebay as well as trading standards. this will pop up on google quickly and the game will be up.

You'd probably need a lot more proof before Ebay or the TS would even look into the allegations. I'll bet there's little, if anything to indicate a connection in the contact or account info held by Ebay....

spoilsport

H48 was run by a chap called Jim, under the trading name of Photography 247. I know this, as they bought something from me, and that was the name on the cheque :)

FF basically spun off from them, but I'm not sure Jim is still involved. Seems to be Tracey running the show now.

There is a link for sure between H48 and FF, but it would be hard to establish. I know when FF started up, some packages were sent out saying something like "Thanks for buying from Harbour48"

Seems that H48->FF->AllDigital are very closely related. It does seem that the new iteration has cleaned up their act a bit...

Back