Gary's 365 - Feelings & Emotions (ended early)

2639724351_ffda28f644_o.jpg

As I sit here contemplating how best to start todays entry, (which is supposed to feature my son Gary), something has just dawned on me. Claire, my wife, is literally running around like a blue arsed fly. Clearing tables, emptying bins, running baths, hanging washing, filling dishwashers, making coffee, feeding cats, dogs and so on. To me, it takes a very special person, a selfless person, to not only sacrifice her weekend for a man like me, but to sacrifice it for a child who can't call her Mum. A child who will never be able to fully understand her sacrifice, and commitment to him. A child, whom had it not been for Claire, would be living with his Mum, god knows where, not having a clue who or where his Father is.

I met Gary's mother when I was 13 years of age, whilst living in one of Edinburgh's notorious childrens homes. I had been there for maybe 18 months when Julie arrived. For the first year or so, we argued like cat and dog, and I really wished she had never arrived. She seemed fixated on me, and I wanted to run as far away as possible. She was a hyperactive, and mischevious girl, constantly looking for a fight or argument, no matter who got hurt. Being in the same room as her was a real struggle for me, and nothing would change that.

Except, something did. It was a Friday midsummer night, and boredom was in the air. Our unit housed 10 of us, aged 11 to 18. Earlier in the day, a queue of 10 well behaved kids, queued in single file, with anticipation in their eyes. I was close to the back of the queue, full of excitement. My excitement only grew each and every time one of my fellow residents left the small office, each carrying a crisp brown envelope in hand, wearing the same cheeky, cocky grin. It was as if they had just swindled some poor b*****d out of his last tenner. My turn. As I sat down, I already knew I had done well. I didn't smoke, £1.50. I went to bed every night on time, £2.00. I had not been abusive or cheeky to staff, £3.00. And I had not been under the influence of Alcohol or Drugs, £3.00. With my base allowance of £12.50, I knew my brown envelope would feature a hand written number, somewhere in the region of £20. The addional weight and thickness suggested coins - always a good sign. God almighty, how I miss the feeling of that envelope. £22 on the nose, 'Ya Dancer' I proclaimed as I left the office, the same cheeky cocky grin on my face, as if it were a mirror image of the faces I witnessed earlier. £22 was a lot of money for a 14 year old. Little did I know, that £22 would change my life, forever. The Butterfly effect was about to be kicked into action, on a major scale, and I was going to be at it's epicentre.

As the 10 of us left for the shops, feeling like we had just won a tonne of lolly, we made the decision that this Friday, we were going to enjoy ourselves. Instead of hiring a video and buying a shedload of chocolates, juice and magazines as agreed with Staff, we decided it was time to let our hair down. We decided that Juice and Sweets were long past their sell by date, and we wanted something Fresh. We decided, quite simply, to get completely and utturly rat arsed.

Never before had alcohol passed my lips. As I took the first sip from my 3 litre bottle of White Lightning, I was confident in the knowledge that I could control myself. I had seen my stepdad drink every day of his life, without ever falling over. I had seen my mum destory a bottle of Bicardi to herself, and still be standing at the end of it. A bottle of Cider was nothing to me, I was a man, and I was going to stand tall and proud, participating in the adult act of getting p*shed. I, the bigshot, was indestructable.

Except I wasn't. It wasn't long before the world was spinning, and I loved everyone. We sang and we danced through the streets of Southouse, and if anyone dared complain, collectivly we would hurl an entire world of abuse at them. We were running the show, and we loved it.

As the sky darkened, we approached the school playground. I was already on my second 3 litre bottle and I was sh*tfaced. Kansas was miles away, and the Wicked Witch was about to pounce on me, whether I like it or not.

I arrived 'home' around 10am saturday morning. I was immediatly requested in the Staff Room and interviewed on record. As I described the previous evening events I was given the biggest bollocking of my life. I was told about how my actions could result in my removal from the unit, and a suspension of all allowances. Staff expressed their shock and dissapointment at my new found fondess of alchol, and I was severly warned that a repeat performance would NOT be tolerated.

If only I had taken the warnings on board. Over the course of a year, my time at Southouse slowly came to an end. Julie and I became 'group leaders' and we ran the place into the ground, after an almighty riot involving Police, The Fire Brigade, and I suspect every social worker in Scotland, I was shipped to Ferniehill Open Unit (via 24 hours in a police cell), and Julie was locked up in Secure Accomodation. Our time together had come to an end, or so I thought. More on the riot another day.

3 years later...

I left Ferniehill with a more or less flawless record, ignoring one or two biggies when things kicked off. I had behaved myself for the most part, got my head down, and looked forward to the very big and very bad world. At 17, I moved into my very own 4th floor flat in City Centre EDI, courtesy of you, the tax payers. 2 years old, the flat was flawless - a modern and immaculate example of city centre living. Me and Mum decorated it over a month or two. I held down a job as a chef, and managed to furnish it with a big telly, loud hi fi system, and the best collection of pots and pans you could imagine. I was in love with my new place, and I was amazed at how life had changed for the better. Things were going to be amazing.

And thats when fate dealt me a double whammy of good and bad. As I sat at my mums enjoying a plate of Spaghetti Bolognese, the phone rang. My Mum answered, and instantly I could tell something was up. 'Gary, its Julie'. My heart raced, and I dreaded speaking to her. I had moved on, and I did not want anything to get in the way of my new found love of life.

As I spoke to her on the phone, against my better judgement, I agreed to let her meet me at home. She was always very determined, and seemed an expert at getting her own way. She arrived around 6pm with a friend, and tapped at my door. I answered and invited both of them in. As we sat and caught up, argued a little and discussed what life in the respective homes had been like, we agree to give things another go. Both of us young adults, we stupidly thought it could work. Very stupidly.

Julie was pregnant a fortnight after I met her for the 2nd time. I was going to be a Dad, and she a Mum. If only. The arugments started instantly, night and day we would fight about everything. And when I say fight, I mean it. Plates and cups would fly across rooms, chairs would go through windows, doors would be kicked down, walls destroyed. My place was trashed from the off. A bomb had gone off in every room, and it was disgusting, depressing and I felt completely hopeless. Whiskey and unemployment became my best friend, and Julies fists my worst enemy. The combination was volitile, and it wasn't long before the police and social services were at my door every other day. Things continued this way throughout her pregnency, and my son was about to be born into the hell I was born into 18 years earlier.

We got Gary home and almost instantly the fuse was lit. The fireworks display flew skywards again. Day after day, fight after fight, our world descending lower and lower towards the pits of hell, and life got more unbearable every day. I found myself trapped between the love for my son, and the hatred for his Mother. Again I started with the whiskey, and I descended into a world of darkness and despair, I wanted to end it all.

Outside the 4th floor window, late night sky above me, with a bottle of whiskey in one hand, and cordless phone glued to my ear, I cried like a baby to my Mum. I explained that I wanted to jump, had to. I couldn't face the guilt of leaving my son, not like my dad had left me. I was better than that, and I would rather die that give in. The alcohol was clearly warping my mind, and the ground looked like an easy way out.

My mum and the police arrived almost immediatly. As they climbed the stairs and entered my flat, I sat balling my eyes out, rocking my bottle of whiskey as if it were a baby needing my comfort. Ironic, that it was in fact the other way round. My Mum approached, got a hold of me, and pulled me back inside. I was never serious, I could never do something like that. My cry for help had worked, and Mum was cradling me and taking care of me. It didn't take much though, to light the spark one last time.

To the shock of the police and my Mum, Julie started on me. I can't recall what was said, but it got to me. I launched myself towards the kitchen door, screaming like a mad man and I was instantly set upon by two police officers. My arm twisted high behind my back, pinned in place by their knees, I screamed in Agony. I twisted, turned, and kicked to break free, but nothing was going to shift them. I was trapped, and before I could blink, the hand cuffs were tight around my wrists, within seconds I was being carted down the stairs head first.

I was taken to Police Cells to sober up, and then shipped to the local loony bin for an Interview with two Doctors. Over the course of an hour or so, they worked out what I already knew. I had to leave home, and without delay. If I didn't, one of us would end up in a body bag.

Welcome to the hardest day of my life. Packing my bags, I watched my 3 month old son smiling in his Bouncer. Eyes you could loose yourself in, and a mile wide smile, my heart was shattered. That little guy had given me so much happyness, and he was the first thing in my life I could be proud of, and I was giving hum up, CHOOSING to walk away. What kind of b*****d Dad does that? I had just swallowed the red pill, and my new reality was going to be impossible to adapt to. My life as I had come to accept it, gone.

Over the next 6 months to a year, I more or less lost contact with my boy. Visiting was difficult, as most of the time, a massive fight would result in even more pain. I eventually gave up, and all contact was lost.

I will keep the specifics of meeting Claire for another entry, however, one of the first things she did for me? Dragged my sorry ass to the solicitors, and got me contact with my son. The slow trickle of contact every other week, soon became weekly overnights every weekend, and Claire, my wonderful wife, started her weekly sacrifice. To this day, she continues to look after her two Garys and I just know, when the time comes, she will be the best mother in the world, bar none.

I am so forever grateful to her for everything she has done for me, and continues to do for me, even if I can't always show it. I know one day, my Son will be too.

Claire, you are one in a million.

Today, I feel in awe of my wonderful wife.
Gary.

PS - Spelling and Grammar will be checked later! I am KNACKERED after that.

Last edited:
I actually read that all and understood it (Woo go me :))

You have just opened up my eye's and made me smell the coffee sort of thing, My and my ex could have ended up like that. Thank you

Tony

It took me a long time to read tonight, quite often i have music on or tv whilst i am on TP, but tonight i really wanted to concentrate and had to wait for a time i could fully be in tune with your post.(really i should have switched off to read straight away!)
Claire takes the medal in this post, we are here to bring our children up in the best way we know and sometimes we end up doing it in unexpected ways. Claire is obviously doing a stirling job with Gary Junior and I pray for CGjuniors in the near future
God Bless
xx
Jo

It took me a long time to read tonight, quite often i have music on or tv whilst i am on TP, but tonight i really wanted to concentrate and had to wait for a time i could fully be in tune with your post.(really i should have switched off to read straight away!)
Claire takes the medal in this post, we are here to bring our children up in the best way we know and sometimes we end up doing it in unexpected ways. Claire is obviously doing a stirling job with Gary Junior and I pray for CGjuniors in the near future
God Bless
xx
Jo

Cannot believe how lucky I am to be with her. She is a godsend.

G.

Bidden, i have to disagree slightly with that post, i think Gary has to have the medel, Although you were part of the fight, and child (good name btw) you choosing to walk away, Walk away from the fighting in which could have resulted in your son having the same childhood as you got takes guts.
Your plee for help worked, luckily, and although i see suicide as the easy way out of hard times, you seem to be to strong for that, even listening to your storys makes me think your were strong headed as a child.

I wish the best for you and claire in the furture and especially to her for keeping youon track and by the looks of it sorting you out!
The picture, not the best you have taken nor my favorite, but in this 365, does it matter any more? the images are meaningful pictures in which support your text 100%

Great 365 entry

Last edited:
Bidden, i have to disagree slightly with that post, i think Gary has to have the medel, Although you were part of the fight, and child (good name btw) you choosing to walk away, Walk away from the fighting in which could have resulted in your son having the same childhood as you got takes guts.
Your plee for help worked, luckily, and although i see suicide as the easy way out of hard times, you seem to be to strong for that, even listening to your storys makes me think your were strong headed as a child.

I wish the best for you and claire in the furture and especially to her for keeping youon track and by the looks of it sorting you out!
The picture, not the best you have taken nor my favorite, but in this 365, does it matter any more? the images are meaningful pictures in which support your text 100%

Great 365 entry

If we have to talk medals ...well over the posts it varies, Claire has wonderful
qualities from what i understand of what Gary and his environment needs and gary has far deeper understanding of what he needs to do to give her what she need than a lot of men. it's a tie isn't it. although thinking again...Gary your strength of carachter (sp) is huge oh.i think i'm in a warp!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tony, Gaz, Bidden and Rozzy. Bidden, had read your reply like 6 times - got i in the end :D

Agree the pic not my best, Matrix was on and the green tinge seemed a good idea at the time ;)

Thanks again guys,

Gary.

Fantastic post Gary, why do you think you got involved with Julie? Would you say it was peer pressure? It's a horrible thing.

This is the kind of thing you NEVER here about, and is never on television. For some reason you know it happens though, you know childeren lose their parents for various reasons, and you know teenagers go off the rails at some point.

I also believe that this is the kind of thing that SHOULD be on television, or even a book about it. As it's such a powerful story and a very happy ending.

I'm glad you've found happiness with Claire mate. :)

Fantastic post Gary, why do you think you got involved with Julie? Would you say it was peer pressure? It's a horrible thing.

This is the kind of thing you NEVER here about, and is never on television. For some reason you know it happens though, you know childeren lose their parents for various reasons, and you know teenagers go off the rails at some point.

I also believe that this is the kind of thing that SHOULD be on television, or even a book about it. As it's such a powerful story and a very happy ending.

I'm glad you've found happiness with Claire mate. :)

I dunno mate, I really can't answer that question properly. I guess, the alcohol let me see Julie in a completey different light, and for whatever reason, that night we hit it off. The next again day I remember not feeling that way anymore, and through nothing other than total guilt. we stuck together. That was the daft thing, as it's what caused us to run the unit into the ground. As I said she was a mischevious and cheeky git at times, and I normally the opposite. However, when we got together, my 24/7 hyperness and her resentment for good behaviour resulted in an explosive atmosphere for all kids, and it didn't take long for daily rioting, locking ourselves in rooms for weeks, and running away every other day to kick off.

We destroyed the place, and I know that several staff quite their profession over our idiotic and downright disgusting behaviour. I remember watching them sit in tears in the office, as we ran amock. Those people bent over backwards to help me, and I returned the favour in the worst way possible.

I feel a lot of guilt from back then, and whilst I got back on the straight and narrow, I didn't do it without screwing people over.

Gary.

Have you been to see any of the people that helped you back then? Maybe try and 'patch things up' and tell them how successful you've been in your life up to date and how much you respected them and appreiciated them for what they did....?

I dunno mate, I really can't answer that question properly. I guess, the alcohol let me see Julie in a completey different light, and for whatever reason, that night we hit it off. The next again day I remember not feeling that way anymore, and through nothing other than total guilt. we stuck together. That was the daft thing, as it's what caused us to run the unit into the ground. As I said she was a mischevious and cheeky git at times, and I normally the opposite. However, when we got together, my 24/7 hyperness and her resentment for good behaviour resulted in an explosive atmosphere for all kids, and it didn't take long for daily rioting, locking ourselves in rooms for weeks, and running away every other day to kick off.

We destroyed the place, and I know that several staff quite their profession over our idiotic and downright disgusting behaviour. I remember watching them sit in tears in the office, as we ran amock. Those people bent over backwards to help me, and I returned the favour in the worst way possible.

I feel a lot of guilt from back then, and whilst I got back on the straight and narrow, I didn't do it without screwing people over.

Gary.

it takes alot to let people know what you have done in the past mate..

you had / have no reason to tell anyone.

but felt you wanted to

well done on that...

md(y)

it takes alot to let people know what you have done in the past mate..

you had / have no reason to tell anyone.

but felt you wanted to

well done on that...

md(y)

I dunno man, it wasn't my intention for the 365 to turn into this. I wanted to touch on how I felt every day, and take a pic to represent it. If you look at the first few days, it was simply that, "I feel this, and heres a pic to represent it". Very quickly though, I realised I had more than just feelings causing my ups and downs, some memories and previous events are clearly driving a lot of my emotions, and I dunno how or why I did the first mega dump here, but afterwards, whilst a little drained, I felt like a massive chip had been taking off my shoulder.

I am probably coming across as a complete whacko, but if you guys are enjoying the read, I am definately enjoying the release. You never know, one day someone might come across my post, and it might just help them.

I hope so :)

Gary.

Gary, we all know how capable you are at photography, but your writing prowess far outshines your photographic skills.

By that I mean no disrespect.

Gary, think of us as free physiotherapists, we are deffinetely listening!

Wow, i have just noticed the telly on the wall. Dude what size is that? Awesome stuff

Tony

Gary, think of us as free physiotherapists, we are deffinetely listening!

who said we were free???? bill in the post gary.

what a colourful and varied life you have lead gary, glad to see it has shaped you but not cursed you.

2643062159_0bce8619ec_o.jpg

Have decided to keep todays entry light hearted and short, I am pretty tired and as such, would be up all night were I to rant and rave about god kows only what!

After arranging a return visit to Law Hositpal in Carluke, Darren and I headed through from Edinburgh around 4pm. It was a lot of fun, and we got to meet Craig and David, who were a hoot and a joy to shoot with.

I am always wary meeting new people, as I am normally quite shy and nervous. I have never done well in social situations, especcially around new faces. Today however was a lot better than I had expected. I suspect my untrusting view of the world and people I don't know has eased in recent years, and I bet it's no coincedence that I have found acceptance in my other half.

Going forward I think I would feel relaxed and excited about the prospect of other meets. Perhaps I wouldn't need my mates to hold my hand either! :D Thanks Daz!!!

After a pretty exciting day, lugging my two tonne tripod around, I feel absolutely shattered.

Gary.

Last edited:
I like the shot a lot Gary, it's kind of what I hoped mine would look like and how I visualized mine in my head!

I know exactly what you mean about meeting people for the first time, especially people who are essentially strangers. I'm quite outgoing and in my job, I'm a field service engineer, I'm meeting new people a lot, but I still get really nervous.

When the meet was first arranged it was more anticipation at a few hours with the camera, but as it got closer, I started to get nervous. You guys could've been axe man after all :LOL: but all sorts of things go through my head.

Needless to say, I had nothing to worry about, was a pleasure meeting you all and a very enjoyable afternoon.

I like the shot a lot Gary, it's kind of what I hoped mine would look like and how I visualized mine in my head!

I know exactly what you mean about meeting people for the first time, especially people who are essentially strangers. I'm quite outgoing and in my job, I'm a field service engineer, I'm meeting new people a lot, but I still get really nervous.

When the meet was first arranged it was more anticipation at a few hours with the camera, but as it got closer, I started to get nervous. You guys could've been axe man after all :LOL: but all sorts of things go through my head.

Needless to say, I had nothing to worry about, was a pleasure meeting you all and a very enjoyable afternoon.

Thanks Dave, can't wait for next time. Do you fancy the Hartwood place?

Sounds great,

Gary.

Nice perspective on the broken glass m8 and the black and white works a treat.
Im going to make a few enquiries with Hartwood to see if we can get cart blanche shooting of the place.

Nice perspective on the broken glass m8 and the black and white works a treat.
Im going to make a few enquiries with Hartwood to see if we can get cart blanche shooting of the place.

Excellent, I get my son every second weekend at the moment, so keep me informed of any dates if you fancy organising. Sunday afternoons are ALWAYS ok, as I drop him off at 3pm Livingstone. However, any other time at the weekend will depend on if I have visitation or not.

Regards,

Gary.
PS - I have 60 to PP, at work and left them at home otherwise I would do nothing else all day!!!

sounds like an awesome day! gonna miss these whilst I'm away, might have to track down an internet cafe!!!

Like the DOF on the glass and outside, reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what

CarlukeDave took a similar shot and posted it in his Urbex thread?

Gary.

Awesome photo Gary (y)

Has any PP been done to the outside of the window?

Tony

Awesome photo Gary (y)

Has any PP been done to the outside of the window?

Tony

PP:

Increase contrast
Increase clarity
Increase vignetting
Save as TIFF from raw
Reduce to 750 wide
Add border and text
Convert to Greyscale
Convert to Duotone
Convert back to RGB
Sharpen
Save as Jpeg

Thanks for looking! :)

Gary.

PP:

Increase contrast
Increase clarity
Increase vignetting
Save as TIFF from raw
Reduce to 750 wide
Add border and text
Convert to Greyscale
Convert to Duotone
Convert back to RGB
Sharpen
Save as Jpeg

Thanks for looking! :)

Gary.

You lost me at Increase clarity :LOL:

Thanks anyway :D

2645370721_2f18152e57_o.jpg

Everywhere you look, for sale signs. Visual hooks to rob you of your hard earned cash, small but seductive incentives to force the plastic out of your wallet, and into the till terminal. With the right message and marketing, you can often be led to the most idiotic and pointless of purchases, and the sting in the tail can be very sore indeed.

I guess we have all done it, spent just for the hell of it. Whether it's a weekend of madness on EBay, resulting in an dusty loft full of Star Trek toys, or a rush decision to buy that mental car, with its 4.2 litre thirst for petrol, and a complete disregard for your lolly should it beg to be driven. We all do it! Rose tinted specs and the right marketing can be a very dangerous combination.

With my ratio of 'obsession to purchase to bin', it was only fair for my wife to be furious when I decided to jump on board the photography train. Having some spare 'wedding money' which resembled a stick of dynamite longing to blow a hole in my pocket, the fuse was never going to be hard to ignite. And when it comes to lighting fuses, my best friend Michael, is an expert. With a cocky b*****d of a grin, and a tone of voice you could associate with a chorus of 10 years olds screaming ‘I told you so’, he lit the fuse. He knew his game plan, he had no doubt whatsoever as to what my reaction would be, an expert in fishing, he was about to catch his biggest fish to date.

As he sat wearing his trademark grin, he presented his latest photo. A hovering blue bodied insect, which I thought was a Dragon fly. Unlike earlier photos he had shown me, I was amazed and mesmerised. Instantly I visually scanned every detail, took it all in, tried to understand it, and something special was happening to me. For the first time in my life, I was appreciating the art of photography, and at that very moment, I realised I wanted to be an artist, regardless of cost.

Within an hour, I had arrived at the local Jessop’s, Michael by my side. As I scanned the various sale signs and took in the vast quantity of lens and other camera related goodies, I began to realise I was completely and utterly clueless. I was about to buy into a system of which I knew nothing about, a complete novice with no hope of making sense of the massive selection presented to me. An easy target for sure, a wad of cash, a thirst to spend, and only the knowledge of the salesman to help me make my purchase.

As I stood staring at the Salesman opposite me (who buy the way, is the spitting image of Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Ring movies), he asked me what should have been an easy question. What brand are you thinking? Before I could begin to utter ‘Dunno’, Michael piped in. ‘Nikon of course’ he proclaimed with an almighty smile and cocky tone. Frodo’s job had just been made a whole lot easier. Next question, ‘What type of photos do you want to take?’ I simply replied, all types. Over the course of an hour, I had decided on a brand new Nikon D200, battery grip, 5 or 6 lenses covering most shot types, and a massive bag for holding it all, a huge tripod and god knows how many filters and accessories. I, was now in deep, deep sh*t.

When Claire first spotted the 4 massive Jessop’s bags, she simply shrugged and reminded me that I can’t see green cheese without wanting a piece. At that point she had no idea I had just blown the best part of 8 big ones on a toy. A toy which I had the day before, had no interest in. A toy which was so complicated, chances are I would give up long before I got ‘my Dragon Fly’. As with every other obsession, it was only a matter of days or weeks before I threw the towel in and resigned my toy to the treasure chest in my attic.

And that’s exactly what happened. I arsed around with it for a day or two, and realised very quickly I was not going to be getting my dragon fly any time soon. I was taking better photos with my Samsung mobile phone, and that seriously p*ssed me off. Before long, the lot was packed in the box, and the box packed in the attic. I had too much work to do, and my wedding to organise (yeah right), and I just could not face another day of hitting random buttons and hoping for the perfect shot. I had given up, again, and I didn’t care in the slightest. Except as is often the case, it transpired I did care. I had a huge burn mark in my favourite jeans, a burn mark so big, you would think a stick of dynamite had gone off in them. And that bugged me. I was constantly reminded of it, every day in fact.

I had a terrific wedding, ignoring my sister’s illness of course, and time seemed to fly so quickly. Before I knew it, winter was upon me, and in winter, I get bored, depressed and lonely. I hate the dark days, and being stuck in an office forcing me to miss the very little daylight we do have, I withdrew into myself. As I wandered aimlessly through the dark corridors of my mind, I was always aware of a dull yellow light in the distance, as if it were an old smashed, flickering sign. I imagine it advertising the worst shop on the planet, in the worst street, in the darkest of nights. I can’t be sure, but I think it featured a Nikon logo.

As I reclaimed my toy from the attic, I was surprised at the number of boxes I found. I had completely forgotten the sheer quantity of lenses, filters and goodies I had bought a few months earlier, and I could feel a small tingle of excitement as I wiped off the dust, opened my bag, and filled it with shiny black kit. It was maybe 2 in the morning, and I was determined to get out of my hole and start living.

7 am and after a drive around Arthurs Seat, I spotted my Dragon Fly. A lovely blue glow shining up from behind Arthurs Seat, the contrasted hilltop edge as black as night. A sight to behold, I was in awe and wanted my photo.
As I parked the car, and opened the door, it was instantly obvious that I would be freezing by arse off in a matter of minutes. A cold deep frost was on the ground, and I had no gloves. The cold metal of the tripod was only adding to my discomfort, and I wasn’t sure how long I would last before heading to the office for a warm cup of tea. I decided I should at least get a few shots of the scene before heading.

Tripod in position, I attached my camera and looked through the viewfinder. Not sure of what settings to use, I put it on ‘A for automatic’ (having never heard of Aperture!!! :)). I focused on the edge of the hill, and pressed the black plastic button on the top right of my toy. At that very moment, a car drove past, and I thought nothing of it. Little did I know, in 15 seconds time, I would be jumping around like a lunatic, a caveman on the frozen cold hill, rejoicing as if he had just discovered fire for the first time. As I studied on the small screen what I had captured, I was ecstatic. I remember the feeling to this day, instant relief from my world of darkness, the smile on my face must have been a rare sight. I was absolutely delighted with what the little box of tricks had produced, and I wanted to tell the whole world what I had done. Even as I type this, I get goose bumps. Not only had Arthurs Seat been captured as I remember it, but the car had created an awesome blend of white and red streaks, and I had absolutely no idea that this was even possible. I, had just been dragged into the world of photography, imprisoned in a universe of confusing numbers and terminology, and I didn’t want out. I was happy in my padded cell, where I remain to this day.

You see, photography for me, is more than a simple profession one can partake in, the art of taking and selling photographs. It’s more than a mere hobby, something you enjoy at the weekend when you have some quiet time. And it’s more than simply numbers and technical guides, designed to pollute your brain to the point where taking a photo requires a degree in maths and a scientific calculator occupying the space behind a burn mark in your jeans.

I might not have the ability and / or skill take photos worthy of selling. I might not have the knowledge of 100 photography books stored in my head, allowing the scene I see in front of me to be captured perfectly every time I press the shutter button. And I definitely don’t have the patience, time or ability to go over every single photo with a set of tools designed to try even the most hardened of IT literate individuals. I do however have a love of photography more than I could have ever imagined. It’s not something you can ignore, or turn off. Photography changes you, it takes a grip of your brain, and rewires it completely. Looking through the viewfinder, you see the world with a new set of eyes. A world where colours are more vivid, people are happier, and life is amazing. Not only does photography open this window, it gives you a key to the door, and once you walk through, there is no turning back.

Since walking through the door, my life has changed dramatically. I have met wonderful new friends who share my passion, a lot of you probably reading this. I have a new found belief in myself, and those around me. I have a new outlook on everyone and everything, and I am always looking for that happiness that exists in every one of us so I can capture it in the best way possible. I might not be able to show you any of this in my photos yet, but one day, I will. Until that day, I guess I can simply add a few words here and there, to help support what I am trying to visually communicate.

Everywhere you look, for sale signs. Visual hooks to rob you of your hard earned cash, small but seductive incentives to force the plastic out of your wallet, and into the till terminal. With the right message and marketing, you can often be led to the most idiotic and pointless of purchases, and the sting in the tail can be very sore indeed. The flip side is, you might just be making the best purchase of your life, bar none.

Today, I feel rich.

Gary.

Arthurs Seat, and my first TP post:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41774

Last edited:
Good to read how you got into Photography :) And i totally see what you mean about them sale now on signs.

Tony

Back