Gary's 365 - Feelings & Emotions (ended early)

another cray post that i can relate to, I'm still in my first couple of months and still waiting for MY shot,
great post and inspration!

Good read there mate!

As if you just went out and brought ** cam within an hour!
I spend 2 weeks searching the internet for reviews on cams and still went over double my budget for my D40, its only a D40 lol

I know, it was a bit crazy but I don't regret it one bit. Same happened with the upgrade, my colleague mentioned the 5D, and an hour later I left jessops with a D3. I work far too close to that damn shop.

No more for a long time, can't justify any more!!

Gary.

i'm glad i dont work near a tog shop! so many little "bits" you can pick up

TBH, i want proper lenses now, i have decided the 400D isnt that soft on its images - its the glass in front of it.
I do secretly want a Nikon though haha

TBH, i want proper lenses now, i have decided the 400D isnt that soft on its images - its the glass in front of it.
I do secretly want a Nikon though haha

Dude if you have started with Canon stick, the 5D is probably amazing value, full frame for a grand, or just over!!! :D

Gary.

I've been lent a nikon d40 to encourage me but every time i go out knowing i need to be able to get a half decent shot, i reach for my canon ixus which i know far better...but will never be able to get the type of shot i realy want. Grrrrr. So am at your early stage of putting it away for a while. What i really need i reckon is to go out with someone and be shown as i don't seem to be able to learn by reading alone.

I've been lent a nikon d40 to encourage me but every time i go out knowing i need to be able to get a half decent shot, i reach for my canon ixus which i know far better...but will never be able to get the type of shot i realy want. Grrrrr. So am at your early stage of putting it away for a while. What i really need i reckon is to go out with someone and be shown as i don't seem to be able to learn by reading alone.

Hey Bidden, natural part of the game I reckon. It will just hit you one day, and you won't look back!!! :D

Keep it up :)

Gary.

You're your own worst enemy Mr Gary. I'm referring to this comment...

I might not have the ability and / or skill take photos worthy of selling

You've got the perfect eye for it. You've just got to know what YOU would like to sell. I think you'd make a good wedding photographer, as you're confident and have the patience to process images throughly. Landscapes would sell in lounges accross the UK though... then there's studio work. I'm not sure what you know about lighting. But you've had your camera less than 2 years??? If you went into studio work, I think you'd pick it up very easily. You seem to be a very fast learnner. Some of your stuff on flickr is amazing and definately to a professional standard.
You're a web designer aren't you? Take a sunday afternoon and have a mess around with a template, get your own website up and running with some cheap hosting. What would you lose?

I like the way it was Michael that got you into photography. Is he a member on here at all? The way you described it was awesome, how you realised that you had just appreiciated your first "photography picture". I also love the fact after you had seen it you wanted to produce your own.

Another brilliant day Gary.

Last edited:
You're your own worst enemy Mr Gary. I'm referring to this comment...

You've got the perfect eye for it. You've just got to know what YOU would like to sell. I think you'd make a good wedding photographer, as you're confident and have the patience to process images throughly. Landscapes would sell in lounges accross the UK though... then there's studio work. I'm not sure what you know about lighting. But you've had your camera less than 2 years??? If you went into studio work, I think you'd pick it up very easily. You seem to be a very fast learnner. Some of your stuff on flickr is amazing and definately to a professional standard.
You're a web designer aren't you? Take a sunday afternoon and have a mess around with a template, get your own website up and running with some cheap hosting. What would you lose?

I like the way it was Michael that got you into photography. Is he a member on here at all? The way you described it was awesome, how you realised that you had just appreiciated your first "photography picture". I also love the fact after you had seen it you wanted to produce your own.

Another brilliant day Gary.

Thanks Whittie. Michael is a member here, his username 'Stressless'.

This is michael:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=70059&highlight=michael

This is his pic that started me off:
2523411623_c626fbcac1_o.jpg

Whittie, you really know how to cheer a guy up :D I have been using my camera since December 2007, so maybe 6 / 7 / 8 months.

Loving it.

Gary.

I remember the thread Gary, it left the image of him stamped to my brain, so when I saw you write michael, I had already pictured him showing you the picture of the fly. :LOL:

I remember the thread Gary, it left the image of him stamped to my brain, so when I saw you write michael, I had already pictured him showing you the picture of the fly. :LOL:

He was such a wide boy :D he let me see it, and said "Challenge Accepted". That is what we say when we want the other to BETTER something, in this case the photo above.

One day :D

I remember when you first arrived. You wrote out a massive list of everything you bought, and showed off the pictures you had taken and everyone was annoyed at you for 'showing off' and didn't believe you had just bought your kit ;) :p

Little did they know you'd be one of the most well respected members in less than a year (y)

Dude,

I can't keep saying this, else I'm going to have to start up an EG Fan club ;), I've just had a big catchup after a weekend away and once again you blow me away with both your words and your pictures...

I love 'Shattered', made me smile knowing that you had spilled your heart onto the forum one day and it left you a little drained the next (along with a busy/hectic day).

I had no idea that you have only had your camera since December 2007, that is mental! The images you are producing are amazing, really quite special. You have grasped not only the basics, but also a lot of the more advanced stuff in such a small amount of time, and my god have you got an eye for an image.

I am 100% behind Whittie (y) when I say if you want to go forward with your photography you have the mental capacity to learn it quick, you have the eye to see the shot, you have the personality to make people smile and be comfortable with you in an instant and you have the skill to capture each image as well as it can be captured!!!

Try a few stock shots, you are a web developer so you know that when you get an image (try istockphoto.com) you so often need space for type etc. use this to your advantage!

I wish I was somewhere closer to Edinburgh (I'm down by Brighton) so that I could come on a few shoots, I've only done it a while, but could really learn from someone with the dedication and ability that you have...

Mucho respect...

Paul

I've got to agree with FP.

'Who the hell does he think he is', I thought. That was then...........but now, I look forward to reading and viewing your offerings.

I don't know how you can call yourself shy after the way you have bared your soul these last few weeks.

Keep it up Gary, loving every minute of this 365 and feel each and every emotion with you. :)

Last edited:
I remember when you first arrived. You wrote out a massive list of everything you bought, and showed off the pictures you had taken and everyone was annoyed at you for 'showing off' and didn't believe you had just bought your kit ;) :p

Little did they know you'd be one of the most well respected members in less than a year (y)

Have you got any links, I want to catch up on Garys "History" ;)

I agree with the above.

'Who the hell does he think he is', I thought. That was then...........but now, I look forward to reading and viewing your offerings.

I don't know how you can call yourself shy after the way you have bared your soul these last few weeks.

Keep it up Gary, loving every minute of this 365 and feel each and every emotion with you. :)

:LOL:

I remember it well, I was trying to best figure out how to A: Explain I was a complete Noob, and B: Explain which kit I had, all without sounding like a knob. It wasn't and still isn't easy. People assume because one has 'material gain', which is a loose term, that he or she must be absolutely rich beyond their wildest dreams. Not even remotely true, it just means some peoples priorities are totally mixed up, and they have a doting who can help pick up the pieces.

In the end I was accused of being a spammer, a lier and a few other things :D I took it all as a massive compliment, as if no-one believed I was new to the game, I must have been doing something right (or wrong?:D)!!!

As to being shy, only in person, the Internet is a wonderful mask, and it fits me perfectly.

Gary.
PS - I do hope people picked up that when I say RICH in my post, it has absolutely nothing to do with material or monetary gain!!!

Dude,

I can't keep saying this, else I'm going to have to start up an EG Fan club ;), I've just had a big catchup after a weekend away and once again you blow me away with both your words and your pictures...

I love 'Shattered', made me smile knowing that you had spilled your heart onto the forum one day and it left you a little drained the next (along with a busy/hectic day).

I had no idea that you have only had your camera since December 2007, that is mental! The images you are producing are amazing, really quite special. You have grasped not only the basics, but also a lot of the more advanced stuff in such a small amount of time, and my god have you got an eye for an image.

I am 100% behind Whittie (y) when I say if you want to go forward with your photography you have the mental capacity to learn it quick, you have the eye to see the shot, you have the personality to make people smile and be comfortable with you in an instant and you have the skill to capture each image as well as it can be captured!!!

Try a few stock shots, you are a web developer so you know that when you get an image (try istockphoto.com) you so often need space for type etc. use this to your advantage!

I wish I was somewhere closer to Edinburgh (I'm down by Brighton) so that I could come on a few shoots, I've only done it a while, but could really learn from someone with the dedication and ability that you have...

Mucho respect...

Paul

^^^ I got some cookies with your name on them!! :D

I remember your insanely awesome and helpful post :D Wicked!!

Gary
I have just caught up with this and am sat in my office crying :crying:
An unbelievable read and some superb images to boot, you are a brave man for baring your soul like this, massive respect to you Sir

Gary
I have just caught up with this and am sat in my office crying :crying:
An unbelievable read and some superb images to boot, you are a brave man for baring your soul like this, massive respect to you Sir

Jesus, did you take your lunch break early? :)

Don't fret, its all good in the hood :D

Jesus, did you take your lunch break early? :)

Don't fret, its all good in the hood :D

Na, just thought I would have a quick catch up about an hour ago :bang:

glad to hear all is well (y)

Awesome images as always Gary,

I like how everyshot has a story behind it.

You've given me the inspiration to get off my ass and do the A-Z.

Cheers fella

Mark

I know, it was a bit crazy but I don't regret it one bit. Same happened with the upgrade, my colleague mentioned the 5D, and an hour later I left jessops with a D3. I work far too close to that damn shop.
Erm, I seem to remember I told you my order for my 5D was delayed by weeks, you then rushed out to get a D3 before I could cancel the net order and go down to Calumet instead. There's words for folk like you... :D

Edit: Ooh no green linky for Calumet?!

Erm, I seem to remember I told you my order for my 5D was delayed by weeks, you then rushed out to get a D3 before I could cancel the net order and go down to Calumet instead. There's words for folk like you... :D

That was awesome, good race. What was in it, a few hours? :) Just for clarity, if you had not uttured the words Full Frame that afternoon, I guess I would be still shooting with my D200!

Gary.

That was awesome, good race. What was in it, a few hours? :) Just for clarity, if you had not uttured the words Full Frame that afternoon, I guess I would be still shooting with my D200!
'twas truly a happy day in the office. You *ignored* the Hassleblad linky I sent you though! ;)

Ewan (smiling that this forum is being used for a conversation spanning all of 10yds -- *that's* what t'interweb was invented for.)

Last edited:
'twas truly a happy day in the office. You *ignored* the Hassleblad linky I sent you though! ;)

Ewan (smiling that this forum is being used for a conversation spanning all of 10yds -- *that's* that t'interweb was invented for.)

It's awesome. You didn't get any donuts at lunch, i'm starving. Do you want anything when I'm out? Other than donuts!!!

Gary.

2650327869_85462dbb1b_o.jpg

Jesus christ!!! I am really struggling with this. Big Brother is blaring in the background, I am trying to upload photos to flickr, I am catching up on work, I am making Tea, having supper, and my 365 is howling away in my head, like am alarm I cant turn off!!! I am going to die with the heat too, two monitors blaring in my face, I feel like I am going to explode!!!!!!

Don't get my wrong, I love doing my 365, but it's when you leave until last thing at night, that things get difficult. If you have had a particularly busy day for instance, you might not have had the time to tune in to yourself, and before you know it, WHAM, midnight is only a lap and a half a way!!!

So, here I am, trying desperately to find my glass slipper before I turn into a pumpkin.

How does this make me feel? Well, a combination of things. You know the feeling you get, when you are supposed to be meeting a friend to catch a film, and in your head you are 30 min away, but you tell your mate you will be there in ten minutes? You know you have already f*cked it up royally, but you tell people what they want to hear just to calm them down until you can explain face to face? I have no idea if my frantic rambling is making any sense, but to me, I know what it all means :D And cool, I just wrote that entire paragraph in about 20 seconds :)

I have had maybe too much caffiene today, I mean about 8 cups of tea at work, coffee here in the house, and I am now digging into a bottle of pepsi. My brain is on fire, I cant settle on any feelings and I really need to go run a marathon, twice. Screw it, 3 times.

Arse it all, I mean who cares, I will ramble, post a shot and I will try and relax afterwards, its all good. When I feel like this, its impossible to make any sense anyhow, I can't even read what I write as my brain is already on the next page. I really cannot control myself in this mood - it is totally screwy, and I feel like a bloody nutcase loony.

I haven't even got a pic. I tried earlier to take a shot using some colour markers, but it was pretty pants, and as I didn't get it done at the time, I am no longer feeing the way I felt earlier in the day. A wasted oppertuninty for sure, as now all you are getting is this rant that will make DIDDLY SQUAT sense.

Anyhoo, best go find a photo. Sorry I rushed this, but I can't concentrate. Total time writing this pile of poop, 4 minutes give or take. Awesome, not.

Today I feel insanely hyper.

Gary.
PS - screw the spelling.

Last edited:
Nice last minute entry Gary, I think i would have liked to have seen more of the rear flames, but cannot fault the front ones!
Insanely hyper is a feeling i only get in extreame circumstances, mainly when drunk and had a few to many smirnoff's

Back