Gary's 365 - Feelings & Emotions (ended early)

That looks so neat and comfortable! That is a lovely little caravan, I could easily make that as my home. :baby: :D

An Eriba Puck if I'm not mistaken HWG?

Smashing little van and so much easier to park. :)

That looks so neat and comfortable! That is a lovely little caravan, I could easily make that as my home. :baby: :D
We really love it - we call it "the baby"

An Eriba Puck if I'm not mistaken HWG?

Smashing little van and so much easier to park. :)

Yes that's right AliB. It's like a little tardis, looks so tiny from the outside, but so much inside. It is really easy to park, we just wheel it round like a wheelbarrow. It's not so easy to reverse though, bigger trailers are easier.
The weather at the moment is such rubbish though, it's difficult to find places to go where it's not raining, except Pembrokeshire, so we might as well stay at home.:bang::bonk:

Haven't had a chance to catch up with anybodys 365, so i'm working my way through now :)

Day 35: Frustrated - I don't think the picture portrays frustration, but the text definately does!! :LOL: Rather large rant there Mr W!

Day 36: Unbalanced - Absolutely fantastic piture, really gets it accross perfectly. As for the text.... Brilliant.

Day 37: Boxed In - Good text but why do you feel boxed in you've got a lovely home, car, son & you've got the box you sleep in next to Claire everynight. I wouldn't feel very boxed in If I was you.

Day 38: Anxious - Cheer up dude, you've got passed the day and it went alright didn't it? :)

Day 39: Adventurous - Hope you're having fun in Blackpool, Are you pleased with the van? :D

Hi Guys,

Back, had a good time. Will post my daily images before midnight!

Gary.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I hope Claire was happy with the Camper.(y)

She seems suitably impressed! :D We have settled on our holiday plans for September now. Driving to Southampton, and ferry to Santander, before taking in North Spain, Madrid, Barcelona and home again. We have a fortnight, so should be fun!! If Claire had not enjoyed the trip, would have been back to the drawing board!

Gary.

look forward to hearing (and seeing) what you got up to:)

Let's just say, over the entire holiday, I got about 6 minutes with the camera! Not a lot to show I am afraid, was just too hectic. 10 year olds and funfairs = no camera time! :)

Gary.

Yo Yo Yo whatsahappnin dude good to see your back. Sorry I have not been in touch still not got a new mobile and virgin have chopped phone off :)

Hope you had a good trip

Ahh, that explains you ignoring my texts ! :)

Hope the new job is going good, catch up before the weekend!!!

Gary.

2696370851_b460a47ff7_o.jpg

I can't believe how daunting it feels to be sitting here 4 or 5 days behind with my 365!!! I have the images taken each day, however I feel if I am to do each entry justice, I really should keep up the writing side of it too. And its late! So, rather than sit into the wee hours in the morning waffling nonsense, I will simply have to admit defeat and catchup over a few days.

On Sunday morning, we left for Blackpool. A nice blue sky overhead, the sun peaking through white fluffy clouds, and a van full of happy campers ready to experience "living it rough" for a few days! We were excited, and relaxed, and personally, it felt great to be "getting away from it all".

I drove half way, and after a stop for some breakfast and a quick cuppa, Claire took over at the wheel. Which is when, instead of getting shuteye as I had planned, I went on a crazy quest with my camera, a quest to shoot landscapes, from the passenger seat, at 70mph (give or take a little!).

150 images later, and I have a collection of fields, trees, lakes as well as a few motorway scenes, lorries, trucks, buses, and the nicest TVR I have ever seen! The guy was making serious progress as he sped towards us in the opposite lane. A lovely glow of Orange, and an incredible exhaust note, his absolutely lovely car was taking some serious abuse

And it has me thinking, every day we all attempt to make progress in one way or another. However, at what cost should progress be made? Take the guy in the TVR, in a hurry to get to his final destination. Just how much does he appreciate how final his destination could be? One wrong move, one lapse of concentration, and SPLAT, he's a goner. Those speeds, in a car that size, can be absolutely deadly. Deadly to himself, his passengers and those sharing the road around him...surely he must know the risks...

The trouble is, he is not alone in his quest to make progress as such extreme speeds. There are a few here on the forum who have experienced first hand my own disregard for the law of the road. Each and every one of them have told me the same thing, that if I don't chill out, calm down, and take a few more lessons, I will end up dead. And I might even take a few innocent individuals with me. So why the hell do I do it? In fact, why do SO MANY of us do it? What is it that forces the foot to go down, and the speed to go up, regardless of the risks? It beats me, all I can really think, is the adrenaline rush is so great, so intense, that it's like an addiction, something which isn't easy to avoid. Something clicks inside my head every time I get behind the wheel, and I feel like I am on a forumla one circuit with Lewis Hamilton breathing down my neck.

And nothing could be further from the truth. Having only had my license for a year (JUST!), and having already wiped my car out on a corner in the wet, I have absolutely NO real road skill. I have absolutely no right whatsoever to break the law, and no right to put people around me at risk, yet like so many other fools on the road, I choose to ignore common sense and throw the rulebook out the window whilst flying sideways around a twisty corner.

Perhaps writing this will help me come to terms with what I do, and see some sense...my suspicion though? My suspicion is simply this, next time I get in the car, I will be back on that F1 circuit, racing for my life.

12 months, and a potentially deadly crash later, I feel like I have made absolutely no progress with regards to my attitude on the road. In fact, I have really developed a bad attitude, a deadly attitude, and I often fear, the next trip I make, could be the last.

As I said, every day we all attempt to make progress in one way or another. Driving is just one example of how I make progress at great risk to myself and others. There are many other areas in my life where I make equally potentially disastrous decisions all in the name of "making progress". I will come back on those another day though, for now, I need to sleep.

Gary.

EDIT:
Guys, will cathcup on all other posts tomorrow, off to bed, absolutely shattered. Apologies to the 365ers I have missed, promise will be back on them tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Glad you had a good break away with the campervan and family, look forward to seeing some pics, for a moment I thought that was your car in the pic and wondering how you took it ;)

As for your driving, as a professional driver only advice I'm gonna give you is drive as if your other half and child are in the car with you all the time even when driving just yourself. If you feel like getting rid of the frustrations book a day up at Knockhill racing circiut and drive one of their racing cars around the track... or even your own, it's bloody marvellous therapy.

Hi Gary,
Great to hear you'll be getting over to europe later in the year as a result of a good trip.

A colleague of mine killed a young couple and 1 of their 3 children a few months ago. She was doing 80 in a 50 zone. The inquest recorded a verdict of unlawfull killing a couple of weeks ago which means a significant jail sentance. However she doesn't have to go as she died at the scene as well. What a knock on effect that has had
It's scary thinking that even if you are driving carefully that someone could come racing round the corner straight in to you.

Looking forward to your update pics..any from upside down on a rolercoaster??:puke:

Jo

I love that pic Gary, can't quite work out exactly why, but I think the colour of the car and the grey tarmac in front of it is quite a nice mix.

Really glad to hear you had a good time, can't wait to see the photos!

Good to hear you had a good time mate! I've always fancied a campervan, maybe one day!

Love the shot of the TVR, the orange contrasts well with the road surface!

Hi Gary,
Great to hear you'll be getting over to europe later in the year as a result of a good trip.

A colleague of mine killed a young couple and 1 of their 3 children a few months ago. She was doing 80 in a 50 zone. The inquest recorded a verdict of unlawfull killing a couple of weeks ago which means a significant jail sentance. However she doesn't have to go as she died at the scene as well. What a knock on effect that has had
It's scary thinking that even if you are driving carefully that someone could come racing round the corner straight in to you.

Looking forward to your update pics..any from upside down on a rolercoaster??:puke:

Jo

Jesus :(

Guys,

Work has been mental since getting back, so not had really any time to settle back into the swing of my daily update. I have got pics from every day missed, just not had the time to get the text done and PP them.

I will get back on the case ASAP, work should be a bit less hectic tomorrow, allowing me to get mostly up to date then!

Gary.

Look forward to start reading your descriptions again :D

Get back to it soon :LOL:

Tony

2701761083_7fe11381e3_o.jpg

It's amazing how a few days away can totally screw up with your every day schedule. You know when you format your PC, and it takes a few days, maybe even a week or two, to get everything back to the way you like it? Well I feel I have rebooted my system whilst away, and slowly but surely, my various functions and routines will return to normal.

However, not the normal I am used to! You see, last Friday, at work, I closed the door on a very difficult chapter. And having returned from my trip, the office is a completely different place. A lot of the stress has been lifted, and I feel I am able to focus on whats important to keep the business going in the right direction. So I guess I have to apologise for the lack of commitment to my daily updates, I promise though, the images from each day are ready to be uploaded, and as soon as I get the time to write each entry, they will go online. Hopefully i will be back on schedule very quickly.

Anyway enough of that! The image above was taken on Monday, the 2nd day of my trip. Our pitch was about 20ft from this scene. I was absolutely chuffed to be able to wake up early in the morning, witnessing the birds participate in an orchestra of tweets, chirps and whistles, as if they had written me a song to wake to. The scenery was also excellent, adding to an overwhelming feeling of relaxation. Definately something I hope to experience more of in the year.

I only managed a few photos due to having Wee Gary, however looking at this Image, with all its flaws, it really inspires and excites me. You see, its the first photo I have taken as a result of the freedom the camper is going to give me, and I really cannot wait to have a photo only weekend away! The photo opportunities that await me, early mornings amongst the mountains and lochs, perhaps a day or two in Skye, a trip to Orkney, it's all doable with relative ease, and I can't wait to get started.

I feel really enthusiastic about what lies ahead, and I can't wait to share my experiences.

Gary.

Last edited:
2701828205_9003b83e5b_o.jpg

Really missed Basil when we were away. He stayed with my Mum, who also has him when we are at work. After the drive back, we went to collect our boy, and he was so excited. Tail wagging, barking, jumping up on us, a massive display of affection, and it was really good to see him again. We have only had him since January, and already, he is a massive part of our family, we absolutely love the little bundle of fur.

I have been a pet person my whole life. Always had cats, a few dogs, over 30 tropical birds including African Greys, Sulpher Crested Cockatoo's and Umbrella Cockatoos. Plenty of fish, a few hamsters, a family of gerbils and even a guinaepig! I have no idea why I have had so many animals, I am willing to bet some kind of emotional dependance though!

Basil will be coming on most other trips we go on. We felt Blackpool was too much for him though, he would spend a lot of time in the camper due to our day out at the funfair etc. That really isn't fair. It was hot, and with little ventilation, he could have easily come to harm had he made the trip.

The image here was taken as soon as we arrived home on Tuesday evening. My Mum had clearly kept Basil busy, as he was just as tired as I was. And I was knackered!

That's the strange thing with Holidays though. You bugger off and relax, you put your feet up, you forget about bills, about work, and you just chill out. And then you get home, and you feel absolutely trainwrecked! Its as if you have just worked a 96 hour shift without stopping, and you are absolutely dead on your feet! Often makes you wonder if going on Holiday is even worth it at times. Finish work on Friday, leave for your holiday in Saturday, return a week on Sunday, back to work the following Monday...wasted!

You may find after leaving perhaps a days work behind, you come back to a months worth. So not only do you feel wasted, but you have the absolutely insane task of getting through a monster size task list without slipping up. Not easy! :)

Anyway, suffice to say, I was absolutely wrecked after the trip, I could have slept for 3 days straight. I think the image here says it all!

Gary.

Very true, I am off in a couple of weeks and have the mixed emotions of looking forward to the break and dreading coming back to a heap of stuff to sift through on top of a fresh weeks work!!

Hellish at times! No real solution, I find when I go away on a proper holiday, checking email every few days might help ease the pain. Almost defeats the purpose of the holiday in the first place though.

Gary.

Guys, off to Aviemore for the weekend, next updates on Monday night!! Will catchup on the other 365's when back.

Hi again Gary, have just caught up with your thread and please keep going - the photos are fantastic and for those who don't get that 'feelings and emotions' can involve words as well as pictures should remember there are lots of other areas of the site they can go to. Your pictures and words are always thought provoking and often strike strong chords (obviously with a lot of us). Keep the balance!

Cheers Fran. You new? Welcome! :D Just back from Aviemore so will be adding a few more entires shortly, determined to catch up today!!!

Gary.

2707657805_8581f62de7_o.jpg

This image was captured very early in the morning of the 23rd, not long after arriving home from Blackpool, and for the first time in ages, staring into those huge white eyes, actually felt strange. Normally I would sit down, and instantly be connected to MY matrix. I would run my fingers over the cold black keyboard, and give my PC commands designed to enhance my life, my existence. With every keystroke, or click of the mouse, it would feel like I was adding to a bank of experiences and feelings. I was getting richer and more knowledgeable by the minute. Before long, this process would become a serious addiction, and the only way to break it? Cold Turkey.

And a few days away seemed to do the trick. Booting up for the first time since my return, and there was no hint of any change. Within minutes I would be catching up on emails, getting on with a few work related tasks, and interacting with my favourite forums. Only none of that happened. As I logged into my account, I stared at the screen for few seconds, not really sure what to do first. Lost in a system I had been using for years, I had regressed to the point of not caring whether the daft thing broke down permanently. My addiction had been killed, a few days in a cheesy holiday camp seems to be the ultimate cure.

Trouble is, I don't want cured. I miss craving the PC, craving the Internet, and craving the interaction I have on the various chatrooms and forums. I miss being me, the geek who can't stay away from a PC for more than an hour without getting agitated. I miss p1ssing the wee hours away banging the keys like a small boy banging a drum, only to watch a bunch of pixels materialise time and time again, never getting bored of it. I miss it so much, and as I sit here trying to find some of that magic I know and love, all I feel is flat.

So I have decided, to somehow, reinject myself with this wonderdrug, I am hoping for a full on addiction to develop all over again, and next time I am presented with a Cold Turkey situ, I will make sure I sneak enough of the drug in the suitcase to tide me over.

I feel disconnected, and it sucks!

Gary.

Last edited:
2707814783_38f66f7f70_o.jpg

The image above is a muddle in so many ways. Firstly some of the verticals are off, whilst others are fine. Then you have the contrast of old historic landmarks, coupled with messy roadworks and a huge development of swanky new offices. The guys in charge here in Edinburgh trully are clueless, allowing a mish mash of old and new buildings to occupy the historic city.

Not only that, but I am not kidding when I say about 30 different sets of roadworks are on going in the city just now. Every major junction, every side street, every bloody tourist trodden bit of road, is full of cones, diggers and fat men pretending to work. It really p1sses me off to see our city in such a state, especcially so as it's almost time for the festival.

This is all happening as a result of Edinburgh having a tram line built, connecting the airport on the extreme west of the city with Leith Docks in the north east of the city.

As a result of all that is going in, Edinburgh is quickly becoming one of the worst cities to drive a car through. Too many one way systems and road closures as a result of the roadworks, and it has me completely baffled if I dare venture into town with the car.

I guess it leaves me feeling lost. Both literally and figuratevly.

I wish I could meet the guy in charge of the roads and give him the wake up call he needs.

Gary.

wow thats a busy photo lol i didnt think u could fit so much going on into one photo and isnt it one man working and 4 men watching him work and i work at pleasurebeach sdo i probably saw you unless u went on a wednesday or sunday lol.

Last edited:
2707865149_e7c6aaff48_o.jpg

The lovely lady in this here photo? My wife Claire. If there is any person on the planet who trully sees the real me, it's Claire. She has this uncanny ability to read me like a book, and she seems finely tuned to my needs and desires, it leaves me feeling a bit spoilt at times!

We have come so far together, and really seem to be the best of friends. We do have the odd fallout (ALWAYS to do with my driving might I add), yet we no longer hold any grudges or dwell on things. We get ****ed off, it comes out, and we move on. I think it's vital to forget what has annoyed you, as if you let it sit and occupy your headspace for two long, you will go loopy and act like an arse. Trust me :)

Anyhoo, I am not going to rant and rave too much, as its late. All I need to really say, I feel very lucky to still have Claire, and I hope I can keep her happy enough so she can hold my hand when I collect my pension!

In the mean time, I am going to enjoy our connection as much as possible.

Gary.

2708737672_2248e02040_o.jpg

I look at this photo, and it mixes up so many different emotions in me. Happiness, excitement, disbelief, relaxation, enthusiasm and many more. However, of all the feelings, pride seems to feature quite strongly.

You see, I have somehow against all odds managed to find myself in a position of contentness. I am not wanting to sound smug, or arrogant, but I just feel so lucky in life to have family I love, a wife I love, and even a cheeky wee dog I cant get enough of. And to top it all off, I now have the best excuse in the world to up sticks, and disappear for some quiet time with those close to me.

I really feel at this moment in time, on the grand scheme of things, I have very little to complain about.

Long may it continue!!!

Gary.

Last edited:
Back