Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, :)

Another alpha user here. I did register here about 4 months ago but life got busy all of a sudden (new baby) and so I never really got the time to visit the site or post anything really.

I bought mt first dslr about 4 months ago which was the A100 which I liked a lot and I got to know it fairly well pretty quickly. I had the chance to get one of the newer Alphas last week and decided to go ahead with a deal and part exchanged my A100 against an A350 and I have to say I am very pleased with it.

I am still learning all about photography, not so much how to use the camera ie, aperture, shutter speeds or exposure but what makes a good picture like composition and all that. I am lacking that "Artistic Eye" quality, but I try :LOL:

I would love to get involved with sports photography, football would certainly be top of the list. I intend going along to my local football team, Horley Town FC, and snapping some of the action over there when I get a spare saturday.

Anyway, enough waffle from me. If you'd like to see my pictures so far then click on my flickr link below.

Cheer (y)

Dom

I intend going along to my local football team, Horley Town FC, and snapping some of the action over there

Are you not going to take any pictures of their midfield and forwards then?
;););):D

Welcome to the site Dom
(y)(y)(y)

Welcome to TP Dom. Looking at your flicke, you've made a good start. (y)

Are you not going to take any pictures of their midfield and forwards then?
;););):D

You've seen them play to :LOL::LOL::LOL: It would be nice to see Horley do well but come what may, if there is action to be snapped I'll try and snap it!

Thanks for the welcome (y)

Asked at Reflex in Aylesbury (Formerly Photo Optix) about the 70-200 and had a call back from them quite quickly.

Good news: They can price match to the web

Bad news: Can't get hold of one until 3rd November.

Why is there such a shortage of this lens? I'm off to sulk (and wait for JPS and Stan the Man to rub it in! :razz:)

moi,rub it in...would i.........

DSC00963.jpg

sorry fabs,i have a wicked sense of humour :LOL:

but seriously,try cameraworld in chelmsford or london..ya never know (y)

Wow, I thought I'd have at least 5 minutes before you started! :LOL:

I will try cameraworld. I just asked in Reflex as I was passing, but I will start hunting in anger when the dosh comes through (Next week! :woot:)

Just a reminder fabs of what you are waiting for....... yeah cameraworld is where I got this lot from.

A700.jpg

It's amazing how quick you guys can be! :LOL:

Just remember, when mine is brand new and shiny, yours will be covered in scratches and mucky fingerprints!:razz:

hey JPS...i don't see the 1.4X teleconverter in your collection :p

but then i don't have the 16-80 zeiss......YET!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

fabs...i'll be going to karate very soon,so you'll have 2 hours of P+Q :D

Ah, lens envy!:D

Could you not do 4 hours of Karate, I'll be tucked up in bed by then. Hang on.....Karate? :eek: Have I ever told you how much I admire you? :D

I wouldn't go for the 16-80 to be honest. It has a lot of vigentting (sp?) and not just at 16mm I have found and needs a bit of 'shopping to crop down or clone out. Mine was part of the deal from cameraworld so I'm not moaning too much.

I had the chance to get one of the newer Alphas last week and decided to go ahead with a deal and part exchanged my A100 against an A350 and I have to say I am very pleased with it.

Hey Dom, good to see yet another alpha user!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get on the p/x?

Any others on here, just looking for a bit of advice... Is it worth me chopping in the A100 and getting the A350? ideally i'd like the A700, but funds wont stretch that far just yet:shake:

Option B is to save and wait for whatever A700 replacement comes next year.

Suggestions?:shrug:

Ta muchly(y)

With the A900 now about to hit the shops, I would think the A700 will be down to sub £600 soon.

Are you sure? I think the A900 is supposed to go up against the Nikon D700 and not a replacement for the A700.

That's the theory, but I bet the A700 comes down in price even more, especially at on-line stores. Some are now at £699 or less, then there is the Sony discount on top of that for a limited time.

That's the theory, but I bet the A700 comes down in price even more, especially at on-line stores. Some are now at £699 or less, then there is the Sony discount on top of that for a limited time.

I think you may be right. Didn't realise it was that cheap now!

Hello, this is my first post here (but have been lurking for ages). I have just been bought the A350 for my birthday.

Have had a little play around with it, but was wondering how to get the best out of it. My photos will be mainly of my 2 young children & possibly landscapes.

There is so much to take in and this is my first SLR camera.

Hello, this is my first post here (but have been lurking for ages). I have just been bought the A350 for my birthday.

Have had a little play around with it, but was wondering how to get the best out of it. My photos will be mainly of my 2 young children & possibly landscapes.

There is so much to take in and this is my first SLR camera.

Hi Daisy and welcome. We like that your first post is in the Sony thread! :D

Not familiar with the A350 itself, but I am sure the same advice would apply for any brand of camera so I'm sure you will get all the answers you need on this site. My first piece of advice would be to do a little reading and the best place to start would be with Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Above all else though, Enjoy!!! :D

Thank for the welcome. Have been reading the manual slowly & trying to get a little understanding of it. Just off to have a look at your link. Will continue to practise & hopefully will post a decent picture soon.

welcome daisy...you have a very capable camera in the A350,and it's a cracking introduction into the world of DSLR's.learning does take time,but getting out and using it is one of the best ways to learn.i'm a relative newcomer myself,and it's a very steep learning curve,but very enjoyable all the same,especially when you take that "special" shot...enjoy!

Hey Guys, i WISH you were with me the other night when i was at a family do.. (no not to dance with my granny...)
See this guy (my auntie's brother in law or something..) was there being the photographer for the night and as I've recently got into the world of DSLRs, i decided to go over and have a wee chat.
He gave me a few tips and that (though i didn't have my a100 with me), and basically i was like 'aw i am sooo getting a flashgun now' And he says 'don't buy anything yet, wait til you upgrade and get a Nikon...' (He had a d300)
And i said, 'well I'll probably stick with Sony, so i can use the same lenses and that and I'm happy with my a100 atm so I'm sure the top line ones are super'
And here he goes (brace yourself..) 'nah, Sony are rubbish, go with Nikon or Canon..don't waste your money' :eek:

:puke:
And THEN i had to defend my own camera everytime he said something about his own along the lines of 'see how my nikon is nice and bright, bet yours isnt' BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Yeah. Punch ya in the face.

:LOL:

He was annoying though.
And he said proper photographers don't shoot in RAW when i mentioned i do quite often.

Seriously, what is with some people..?

Hey Guys, i WISH you were with me the other night when i was at a family do.. (no not to dance with my granny...)
See this guy (my auntie's brother in law or something..) was there being the photographer for the night and as I've recently got into the world of DSLRs, i decided to go over and have a wee chat.
He gave me a few tips and that (though i didn't have my a100 with me), and basically i was like 'aw i am sooo getting a flashgun now' And he says 'don't buy anything yet, wait til you upgrade and get a Nikon...' (He had a d300)
And i said, 'well I'll probably stick with Sony, so i can use the same lenses and that and I'm happy with my a100 atm so I'm sure the top line ones are super'
And here he goes (brace yourself..) 'nah, Sony are rubbish, go with Nikon or Canon..don't waste your money' :eek:

And THEN i had to defend my own camera everytime he said something about his own along the lines of 'see how my nikon is nice and bright, bet yours isnt' BLAH BLAH BLAH.

He was annoying though.
And he said proper photographers don't shoot in RAW when i mentioned i do quite often.

They just like to make people think they've got bigger p*nises! They normally turn out to BE bigger p*nises! :D

He was annoying though.

Number one, I bet he hasn't even used a Sony let alone seen any pictures from them and number two, maybe a good photographer can do everything in jpeg, but to be honest I wouldn't attempt it at a wedding as too much can go wrong that isn't easily sorted after on a PC. Manily white balance issues, I know you can kinda sort out the issue with a jpeg but not as easily as you can with RAW.

Hey Dom, good to see yet another alpha user!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get on the p/x?

Any others on here, just looking for a bit of advice... Is it worth me chopping in the A100 and getting the A350? ideally i'd like the A700, but funds wont stretch that far just yet:shake:

Option B is to save and wait for whatever A700 replacement comes next year.

Suggestions?:shrug:

Ta muchly(y)

I wasn't really looking to upgrade from the A100 till I saw an advert for the Digital Camera Exchange in a magazine saying p/x your A100 for an A350 and all you pay is £289. It got me thinking and so I did a quick phone around and found the most I could get for my A100 in p/x from other shops was around £100. Most places have the A350 for around £439 - £449, so I figured this was a fairly decent deal. I probably could have made more money on the A100 by selling on ebay but I wasn't prepared to wait.

Can't really advise you on what you should do but the A350 is a great camera so it wouldn't be a bad move getting one. If you have the patience to wait and can save for an A700 then that would be great as well, trouble is I can't ever wait :LOL:

Dom

He was annoying though.

This is exactly the kind of thing that made my mind up when deciding on my first dslr. I have never been one for believing the hype about top brands this and top brands that, be it TV's, DVD's, computers or cameras I always look at the other brands. Nikon and Canon may well be market leaders but they ain't that much better than any other brand.

In the end I'd have told the fella to put his camera somewhere very dark and see how well it takes pictures there :eek::LOL:

On the Sony web site, the blurb on the A900 includes the following:
"* Exposure accuracy is not guaranteed with DT lenses in certain shooting situations."

Having decided to give up an arm and a leg to purchase this camera, what does this disclaimer really mean? Will I have problems if I use the Sony nifty fifty and 18-250mm zoom? If I can't use Sony's lenses then what manufacturers can I use? Many thanks for your help in this matter. Sorry to burden you with a barrage of questions, but I am keen to move to this camera. The alternative is the Nikon D700, but I don't want to do that, do I?

On the Sony web site, the blurb on the A900 includes the following:
"* Exposure accuracy is not guaranteed with DT lenses in certain shooting situations."

Having decided to give up an arm and a leg to purchase this camera, what does this disclaimer really mean? Will I have problems if I use the Sony nifty fifty and 18-250mm zoom? If I can't use Sony's lenses then what manufacturers can I use? Many thanks for your help in this matter. Sorry to burden you with a barrage of questions, but I am keen to move to this camera. The alternative is the Nikon D700, but I don't want to do that, do I?

Hi Russell. The DT lenses are designed to be used on APS-C cameras whereas the A900 is full frame. I think most Sony lenses are not DT though so it really shouldn't be that much of an issue. Likewise there shouldn't be too much of a problem with 3rd party lenses.

And no, you don't want to so that! ;)

if the above statement is to be true,then it could affect the following lens...

11-18 DT

16-80 zeiss

18-200 DT

18-250 DT

18-70 DT

55-200 DT

75-300 DT

so all the other top quality glass(which you would need on a full framed pro spec body ;)) should be okay....

and no,russell...you don't want to do that :eek::LOL:

if the above statement is to be true,then it could affect the following lens...

11-18 DT

16-80 zeiss

18-200 DT

18-250 DT

18-70 DT

55-200 DT

75-300 DT

so all the other top quality glass(which you would need on a full framed pro spec body ;)) should be okay....

and no,russell...you don't want to do that :eek::LOL:

I didn't think the 16-80 was a DT so how would that be affected by the A900?

I didn't think the 16-80 was a DT so how would that be affected by the A900?

personally..i wouldn't know,i've just quoted all the DT lens..of which the 16-80 zeiss is.it is stated in the blurb however,that it is ideally suited to APS-sized sensors........

quoted from the warehouse express website...

Sony 11-18mm f4.5-5.6 DT AF Lens
With the capability to focus quickly and zoom from super-wide-angle to wide-angle, this Sony lens captures interior scenes with greater flexibility and handles fast action in close environments. Its DT design is ideally suited for the APS-size CCD imager of the Sony a (alpha) DSLR-A100 camera, and its 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 16.5mm to 27mm gives you wide latitude in framing and composition....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back