Manchester Evening News's reader photography advice....

How enlighten these folk are and this should be sent to EVERY attraction building,and event in the world. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Keeper of manuscripts at John Rylands library in Deansgate, John Hodgson explained that the musuem only started allowing photographer access last autumn.

He said: “Traditionally we have not allowed it in the building but members of the public were commenting that that it was fairly old-fashioned and, with the proliferation of camera phones, it’s difficult to police that sort of restriction and we thought there’s a lot to benefit visitors. There haven’t been any problems.”

At Urbis, Caroline Ashworth, marketing and communications manager, was also quite relaxed about the issue;“ We don’t want to get too officious about it. We are quite happy for people to blog about us, if its positive that’s great but even negative comments provide useful information for us" she told me

I did not know/expect that from John Rylands library, but will be in there next time I go to Manchester :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Good to see some positive articles and helpful ones.

Cleland Thom, director of media law consultancy Potential.GB.com said: 'Property owners don't have the right to stop people taking photos of their properties from a public place.

I wonder if the London Eye peeps have read this? :naughty: :LOL: They will sometomes stop you taking pics from their bit of land round the eye, fair enough assuming they do actually own it [a point contested as it also forms part of the Thames pathway I am told, but not sure on this], but it is rumoured that any pics that feature the eye predominantly and then sold will have them on your back if they find out :shrug:

and in a related topic, im just watching Road wars, and the copper just told a suspect "he can film whatever he likes, he's in a public place" !!!! awesome!

I was watching that as well. Maybe we should be able to download it to our mobiles so we can show it to security guards/PCSOs etc... :D

but it is rumoured that any pics that feature the eye predominantly and then sold will have them on your back if they find out :shrug:

The Eye is a registered trademark so selling shots of it would invite legal action, same as a photo of the London Underground logo, BMW badges, etc...

The Eye is a registered trademark so selling shots of it would invite legal action, same as a photo of the London Underground logo, BMW badges, etc...

So what if you are doing a street scene and a BMW passes through? Do you have to give way and let it pass?

i wouldnt think so. there is a difference between a general street scene with a bmw in it, and a picture of the trademarked logo

there is a copy of the by-laws in London that has a list of where you can and cant take pictures signed off by mr livingstone and council.its on Photorights.com
So what if you are doing a street scene and a BMW passes through? Do you have to give way and let it pass?

If it was here in Birkenhead youd stop it and buy half an eigth.

Depends what you want to do with the image. If you're hoping to sell it then most stock libraries won't touch any image that has a logo in it - no matter how small. A shot of the London skyline that includes the Eye might be ok as long as it is fairly small and blends into the rest of the scene. As soon as you start "featuring" the Eye you'll run into problems trying to sell it.

Anyone who wants to take and sell photos of the Eye has to apply and pay for a commercial licence first.

Im not 100% certain but i think digital cameras and their capabilities of functioning at high iso, has had something to do with lifting a prohibition of pics in some galleries.The high iso giving the capability of working without flash which for a reason i dont know a great deal about had adverse effects on certain paintings and wall coverings etc.

Back