Firefox 3 Tip - Force all links into a tab instead of new window

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
If you're like me and you prefer to only use one browser window with multiple tabs, then this tip is very handy.

Everytime I reinstall I have to hunt google for it, so I'm putting it here for reference and to share :p

Basically, this will force all links that open a new window...to open in a new tab instead :)

In a new tab, browse to about:config. Locate that change the following:

browser.link.open_external -> 3
browser.link.open_newwindow -> 3
browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction -> 0

:thinking: My FF has always done that and I never had to change anything on the config whatsit. :shrug:

here be dragons lol. Never been into the config before.

Most things already open in tabs. PMs notified while browsing here always open in a new window... or they used to :)

top tip, nice one, easy to do too :)

here be dragons lol. Never been into the config before.

Most things already open in tabs. PMs notified while browsing here always open in a new window... or they used to :)

LOL Yeah I love that warning :D IIRC It was put into Firefox 3 and there were complaints about it :shrug:

The PM's thing is one of the reasons I change this setting.

Is that not what the middle mouse button is for to open link in new tab :) well that's what mine does.

Is that not what the middle mouse button is for to open link in new tab :) well that's what mine does.

Some sites are actually set to force a new window, and override any tab preferences :)

Great, ive been waiting for something like this for ages, i really hate new windows... Little annoying that some still get forced into new windows but its improved massivly for me :D

Cheers for that Marcel

If I click my scroll wheel it changes to a magnifying glass and scrolling then changes the size of the text/images

If you click it over a link does it open it in a new tab ? - if i click in a blank space i can scroll the window by using the mouse, i suppose its all configurable somewhere :shrug:

If I click my scroll wheel it changes to a magnifying glass and scrolling then changes the size of the text/images

never seen that before :thinking:

If you click it over a link does it open it in a new tab ? - if i click in a blank space i can scroll the window by using the mouse, i suppose its all configurable somewhere :shrug:

No, it still does the same. I'm guessing it is configurable, Just never really got around to checking.

:thinking: You can configure it to open it new tabs anyway using the options menu in tools or just right click over a link and it will give you a menu, one of which is 'open link in new tab'

Sadly I am currently stuck with IE on my sisters computer, though these days that also gives you the right click option ;)

:thinking: You can configure it to open it new tabs anyway using the options menu in tools or just right click over a link and it will give you a menu, one of which is 'open link in new tab'

Ahhhh but that isn't a be all and end all option. Some websites don't respect that setting and still open a new window...this tweak forces them to open in a new tab instead.

Not sure why that option isn't a definitive 'tabs only...NEVER a new window option' though, because it should be.

Back