Issues with RAW files/editing and saving.

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's what's happening. Difficult to explain, but I'll have a go!!

Doing all the editing - sharpening, contrast, saturation, cropping etc.......
And when I save them as JPEGs, the quality and settings I've just applied all disappear. It saves just as if I haven't done anything to them :bang:

Never had this before.
And it's even happening when I save them as JPEGs FIRST, then do the editing........

Using PS CS2.
And very upset :crying:

I use photoshop CS3 and I double click the RAW file from windows explorer to open it in photoshop, adjust the sliders and then click 'open image'. I then do the cropping sharpening etc and just save it as a jpg.

I use photoshop CS3 and I double click the RAW file from windows explorer to open it in photoshop, adjust the sliders and then click 'open image'. I then do the cropping sharpening etc and just save it as a jpg.

Same here.......

Here's what's happening. Difficult to explain, but I'll have a go!!

Doing all the editing - sharpening, contrast, saturation, cropping etc.......
And when I save them as JPEGs, the quality and settings I've just applied all disappear. It saves just as if I haven't done anything to them :bang:

Never had this before.
And it's even happening when I save them as JPEGs FIRST, then do the editing........

Just want clarify something. When you say the settings you've applied disappear do you mean the jpg you saved doesn't have any of the changes or that the raw file doesn't remember the edits? eg.

Open a raw file
do some edits
save a jpg
open jpg - looks unedited?
open raw - looks unedited?

Sorry guys had a busy day :(

The saved JPEG is missing the edits. And looks kinda green :shrug:

But basically, open a RAW in CS2.
Do the edits, sharpen, contrast etc.
Save as a JPEG.

When I open the JPEG in Windows picture viewer (which is what I've always used to view pics) then the pic looks aweful, and all the edits have gone!

The original RAW file looks the same.

Incidentally, this is not happening to shots originally shot as JPEG.
For reason unknown at the time, I decided to shoot RAW and JPEG at the Marwell meet.
Now I know why I did!!!

Does sound very odd then. Have you had success with other Nikon RAW files or has this happened since you went over to "The Dark Side"? :D

Only happening since 'the change' :D

Although I always used the Sony software with the Alpha......

Obvious question - Are you sure you're opening the edited jpg and not the jpg from the shoot?

I can't think of a reason why ACR would not export the changes unless there's a problem with permissions when trying to overwrite a file or with the location you're saving to.

Obvious question - Are you sure you're opening the edited jpg and not the jpg from the shoot?

I can't think of a reason why ACR would not export the changes unless there's a problem with permissions when trying to overwrite a file or with the location you're saving to.

I did check and double check, but not that simple I'm afraid!!

Here's a sample. Does it look crap..........???

311208_220.jpg

It look superb after I edited it, and this is what happens when I save as a JPEG :crying:

Oh, and a JPEG from the same shoot:

Picture005.jpg

This is originally a JPEG.
Cropped, levels, contrast etc.......

:thinking: ok, next stupid question, are you saving to same location? what happens if for example, you save an edited version just to desktop?

Well last night my hard drive with my photo's on got full, so I'm saving to an external drive now.
But did save a few to the same drive (different folder to the original) and it was still happening.

I'll save to the desktop and see what happens......

Well last night my hard drive with my photo's on got full, so I'm saving to an external drive now.
But did save a few to the same drive (different folder to the original) and it was still happening.

I'll save to the desktop and see what happens......

ok, so its not that it isnt over writing then, if you are saving to a new location [a different folder] then it shouldnt make a difference, it should be saving the edited version....all very odd.... :thinking:

Christ, we posted that at the same time!!

It looked as though it was on ProPhotoRGB......

:nono::nono: I was waaaay ahead of you sony-boy :LOL:

This is usually a problem that crops up with Flickr uploads - took me ages to figure out why my pics all changed :wacky:

Make sure you're using the same colour space right the way through from camera to final destination

In ACR bottom left tick the box to show workflow options. You'll see some new settings, select sRGB as the Space and things should get better (y)

:nono::nono: I was waaaay ahead of you sony-boy :LOL:

This is usually a problem that crops up with Flickr uploads - took me ages to figure out why my pics all changed :wacky:

Make sure you're using the same colour space right the way through from camera to final destination

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Nice reply!

Ok, looks like things are improving........

In ACR bottom left tick the box to show workflow options. You'll see some new settings, select sRGB as the Space and things should get better (y)

I think this is helping.

Just uploading a few samples, see what you think.........

Looks like that's done the trick, shots are sRGB now (y)

Thanks for your help.

Incidentally, should they be saved as 8 or 16Bits/Channel?

:D

Well, your choice really. 16bit uses more disk space and has better tonality but you won't see it on screen or on print as they're both 8bit (unless you've got one of the few printers that supports 16bit natively, most drivers convert to 8bit automatically).

16bit is sooo 1990's anyway, one app I use works in 192bit (64bit float per channel) :D

Well, your choice really. 16bit uses more disk space and has better tonality but you won't see it on screen or on print as they're both 8bit (unless you've got one of the few printers that supports 16bit natively, most drivers convert to 8bit automatically).

16bit is sooo 1990's anyway, one app I use works in 192bit (64bit float per channel) :D

Ah ok!!

Thanks for the advice!

While we're here, is it me or does the sharpening option in CS2 not really have much effect?????

Ah ok!!

Thanks for the advice!

While we're here, is it me or does the sharpening option in CS2 not really have much effect?????

You have to be zoomed in to 100% to see the effects of sharpening.

Windows picture viewer is not colour managed so they won't look the same as they do in photoshop

are you saving the image settings in an xmp file?

When I open the JPEG in Windows picture viewer (which is what I've always used to view pics) then the pic looks aweful, and all the edits have gone!

The original RAW file looks the same.

and the prize for not reading a thread before replying goes to....

:D

Sharpening is a real art and should be subtle. In CS2, try Unsharp mask with fairly low settings for most things, but High Pass is also really useful. Scott Kelby's CSxx books give useful different settings and approaches to try. In CS3 I am finding I like Smart Sharpen, now I am getting used to it. Took a while though!

Sharpening is a real art and should be subtle. In CS2, try Unsharp mask with fairly low settings for most things, but High Pass is also really useful. Scott Kelby's CSxx books give useful different settings and approaches to try. In CS3 I am finding I like Smart Sharpen, now I am getting used to it. Took a while though!

Thanks mate, I'll have a play later.

In CS2 with a JPEG I normally use smart sharpen too.
Just a little, as too much can make a shot look horrendous!!!

Back