make your own camera obscura for less than £10

Name
sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Just thought I would share this with you as it was lots of fun and the results are actually quite impressive.

You need a cardboard box (free with delivery of something big like crate of beer):

2009_04_29-4835-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

Cut a hole in one side of your cardboard box. I did this roughly with a pair of scissors, then taped the ends back to make it a bit more neat.

2009_04_29-4836-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

And make the inside of the box dark, with one light area on the base opposite the hole. I did this using spray mount, lots of black tissue paper, and one large sheet of white paper (cost £2 from Wilco).

2009_04_29-4837-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

This is the clever bit I picked up from a demo at my local museum. Use a lens from a pair of reading glasses as a lens rather than a pinhole. It makes the image much brighter and you can see it much easier. Cheap reading glasses cost about £3 from Wilco or ebay, strength plus 2 is ideal. I sawed my reading glasses in half so I can make two obscuras. And I threaded a bit of picture wire through the hole the arms attach to so I don't lose it.

2009_04_29-4838-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

You might have noticed my box hole had a little plastic sheet over it, that's from the packaging from some bootlaces that I use later. It fits the reading glasses lens in perfectly, and holds it right over the hole in the box.

2009_04_29-4839-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

Now the obscura will make a perfect image of the ceiling - which I didn't find very satisfying. So I got myself a folding thing (which was a desk tidy made like a laundry basket only smaller, and tied that bootlace to the bits of the frame so it stood open or would fold shut okay - cost £1 from a pound shop)

2009_04_29-4840-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

Slotted into the folding frame a cheap 10" by 8" mirror (Wilco, £3.49) that rested nicely on the folding thing.

2009_04_29-4842-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

Stuck that combo over the hole in the box

2009_04_29-4845-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura.jpg

And bob is your uncle - a bright camera obscura!

HDR_-_2009_04_29-4857-40D_Dewey-Camera_Obscura_copy.jpg

In case you've never seen on, there is something magical about looking down to see the view out of the window. And weird when you see birds flying past in real time... :woot:

It's like TV but with many fewer channels! And when you get bored with it, its just a cardboard box, a mirror and a couple of little bits to store.

Next I want to take photos with it... see this thread.

Sue

Excellent guide! After recently visiting Edinburgh Camera Obscura I will be giving this a go :)

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Excellent!

I had a go at this last week but using a pinhole and found that the image was too dim to impress my 7 year old. I'll find a pair of old glasses and have another go.

Excellent guide! After recently visiting Edinburgh Camera Obscura I will be giving this a go :)

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Glad to help - I had a sheet of instructions from my local museum but have lost them, so thought it only fair to make up my own!

Excellent!

I had a go at this last week but using a pinhole and found that the image was too dim to impress my 7 year old. I'll find a pair of old glasses and have another go.

Glad to be helpful. I also did a pin hole version of this, and it was very disappointing in comparison.

Very good. (y)

I was always impressed with the camera obscura Adam Adamant used to have. (Age limiting statement.)

Now all you have to do is put another mirror inside the box parallel to the current one (periscope style) and you can project onto tracing paper over the viewing hole. :geek:

Very good. (y)

I was always impressed with the camera obscura Adam Adamant used to have. (Age limiting statement.)

Now all you have to do is put another mirror inside the box parallel to the current one (periscope style) and you can project onto tracing paper over the viewing hole. :geek:

That's a nice idea too. Then I could a proper "neighbourhood watch" type without anyone knowing! I could sketches of cars speeding through my village and create some sort of "speed camera" ... oh the possibilities!

Back