What Does Photography Mean To You?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
With so many different ways to take photos these days and so many people taking photos, from the amateur to the professional, from the young to the elderly, what does taking a photograph mean to you?

not a lot most of the time.

photo..light
graphy..writing

writing with light...light is the foundation of photography
subject matter is subjective
the object is to use the light to advantage to create mood and so emotion

this is notwithstanding record photography which can be pretty poor regarding the concepts of lighting, composition, and presentation

for the photographer however, one must tolerate the whole corpus of light generated imagery..and take each in its own category

for me actually its a hobby along with music...its creative and most of my pictures are really taken for me

At the moment for me its about capturing my two girls growing up so that they have something to look back on when they are older.

If that means i do a mean and moody technically brilliant shot to capture and evnet in their lives then great, but if not, so be it ;)

Mostly roller-coaster feelings... :shrug:

The thinking process is the 'in-betweeners' stage... :thinking:

...with the 'ups' representing the taking... :D

...and the inevitable 'downs' always being the results... :puke:

:p

The ability to capture a moment in time to treasure forever, sounds naff but i guess it was the reason i took up photography

To me it means being broke and always wanting more equipment :LOL:

Oh and occasionally taking a decent photo!! (y)

Personally photography is a way of relaxing for me, gets me out and about and away from all the other crap life throws at you :)

Mostly roller-coaster feelings... :shrug:

The thinking process is the 'in-betweeners' stage... :thinking:

...with the 'ups' representing the taking... :D

...and the inevitable 'downs' always being the results... :puke:

This sums it up nicely for me Rog although I often find the in-betweeners stage more like the downs stage if I spend too long thinking about photography instead of actually getting out there and doing it. Two downs to one ups is not a good ratio.

playing with light :)

love it

This sums it up nicely for me Rog although I often find the in-betweeners stage more like the downs stage if I spend too long thinking about photography instead of actually getting out there and doing it. Two downs to one ups is not a good ratio.

Phew... :puke: ...though it was just me Kev... :D

Been having serious trouble getting me mojo up for far too long now... :shrug:

That said... :cautious: ...I have just down-loaded The Best Camera app for my iPhone, as mentioned in THIS THREAD ... (y) ...and strangely that seems to be stirring something deep within... :LOL:

Its something I can do to escape from everything, relax, and just being able to do what I want. It gets me away from all the crap that goes on in life! :)

makes me stop and appreciate things that I would normally walk by and ignore..

also it has started to become a good form of exercise as I want to walk everywhere, and I mean 8-12 mile round trips to visit family etc.. so I can grab moments on the way.

It means i got fed up with using film, awaiting developments,
throwing a lot away -> 18 YEAR GAP <- Loving the digital age which makes for more interesting photography (y)

For me its about capturing memories and experiences.

Exactly. Or even trying to create something that was never there, a mood or a feeling.
Sometimes I feel I can convey a message, other times just some eye candy.

Maybe ultimately it's just something to pass the time. Either this or extreme snowboarding...but that never really took off :)

Personally photography is a way of relaxing for me, gets me out and about and away from all the other crap life throws at you :)

Said it in a nutshell.

I can spend a few hours in a hide and get nowt,but have released all the tension and go home relaxed :p

PS Even on sundays when I get a chance, as a gear freak I look on all the stalls for old cameras.
Got a Nikkormat EL on sunday.........it has fungus on the Nikon f/2 lens,and the meter does not work with a new battery in, but it's the thrill of the hunt :D:D

Back