Link Delight D700/D300 grip

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Well ordered one from them via ebay on boxing day and it arrived this morning. Took a few pictures of everything and the quality seems ok but not up to Nikon standards. I ordered it with two batteries and placed them both on charge.

Anyway, took a battery from my D200 and fitted it to the grip then fitted that to the D700. Switched the D700 on and the [BP] sign appears next to the battery then once you go into the menus it shows the charge from both batteries.

So far so good.....

Picked it up and tried to focus...... nothing...... Tried to switch focus points....... nothing ........ Thought ok must be this lock switch so switched that to the other position and tried again....... nothing .......

Tried it on Mrs_C's D300 with the same result ie 2nd battery appears but no controls.......

Am I missing something or is it faulty? I have taken it off and on twice and tried two cameras and changed the battery. Is there something in the menus that I have missed? Sending it back isn't going to be cheap!!

I've just got a 3rd party D300 grip off Ebay and there was an on/off switch next to the shutter release that activated the use of the button. It's a very obvious button so I'm sure if your grip has one you'll have seen it. I didn't have to activate anything in the menus at all. It sounds to me like it could be faulty because it should be pretty much 'plug and play'. It could be a fault with the contacts on to the bottom of the camera. Is there any visible damage?

Doesn`t sound good Darren.

All mine have bolted straight and worked,the camera recognised them straight away, the only difference is that I have not used the two EL3 option......:shrug:

No there is a lock/un-lock switch that I have tried in both positions and like I said tried it twice on the D300 and D700. Does look faulty to me! Oh well, will wait and see what Link-Delight say but probably going to cost me £10+ to post just the grip bit back to China!!

Well been having a mess with it and now the [BP] icon doesn't even appear. Must be a faulty one so packaged up ready to go. If they are happy with just proof of postage rather than signed for then it is around £4-5 with proof of arrival its around £10 to Hong Kong.

Yes the Nikon one would have been better but its four times as expensive and thats without the BL3 adapter and for just £10 more than the price of the grip alone I got two more batteries as well!

I thought of going down this route myself - then thought better of it - ended up with Nikon item for £185 delivered from online - onestop IIRC. It came with a battery container for 4 x AA's and a container for the Nmhi battery - so you could run rechargeable AA's Not sure of the life span of dry cells in reality - but it says 1000 shots with standard lens - No VR(y)

I thought of going down this route myself - then thought better of it - ended up with Nikon item for £185 delivered from online - onestop IIRC. It came with a battery container for 4 x AA's and a container for the Nmhi battery - so you could run rechargeable AA's Not sure of the life span of dry cells in reality - but it says 1000 shots with standard lens - No VR(y)

Never had a problem with Chinese or Hong Kong sellers before and most likely this will be sorted out very quickly.

Yes I would have liked to get the Nikon grip BUT that is the price of a 85mm f1.8 or half the ring flash I want whereas the Link Delight one was the bits of christmas money arriving from relatives plus a fiver I had and gives Mrs_C and myself another battery. Also I was looking at getting a D3 battery and using the BL3 adapter as I found a charger plus two batteries for £30 (but they are not advertising at the moment - I appreciate it is not going to be the best but it is adequate!).

I have the Nikon grip for the D200 and it is superb but to be honest the plastic one will be good enough once it works. (y)

Also I was looking at getting a D3 battery and using the BL3 adapter as I found a charger plus two batteries for £30 :[/QUOTE said:
where did you find these????

where did you find these????

It was a seller on eBay. I found it during December and put a watch on it so I could find it again. On boxing day I noticed the auction had finished xnd he hasn't had any more yet. 7 day shop do the batteries for £17 but not many places doing chargers

Hope this goes well for you, I was thinking about ordering the same in the new year. Theirs a review on it here with pics, which made my mind up to get one.

I bought a d300 grip just before xmas off ebay but not from linkdelight. The one i got is a uk seller based in portsmouth... However it arrived on 23 of dec but i did not open it untill xmas. It was allso faulty. when attached to camera it seemed ok but when i entered batt carrier into grip it pulled the camera batt down like a dead short. Anyway after several emails to the supplier I had to send it back to CHINA I think the supplier / manufacterer, I am tracking it thro parcell force & it cost £15 17p .I do hope you fare better with link delight I think you may regards colin

I've been using mine for nearly a year now and not had 1 issue. Well, that's a lie, I had to clean the contacts once. I use the normal battery and 8 x 2700NiMH rechargables in the slot and even after a full weekends racing (about 1,000 shots) I still have lots of battery left. I also bought an EN-EL4a replica, but that went back due to fitment issues. I might see about getting an EN-EL4a replica and charger to fit the BL3 adapter for this year, but the rechargables are doing the job just fine and I like the extra weight of them.

I bought the same off Link Delight late last year. Nothing turned up after 3 weeks so chased, they asked me to wait another 10 days, still nothing so they sent another one no hassle. This came within 10 days and has worked fine from the start, quite impressed by build quality, guess you got unlucky.

Yes, I think I was unlucky. I'm hoping they sort it soon but still not replied yet! Oh well I might have missed them being open on Monday as they are ahead of us so might wake up to a reply. I am thinking of getting their ENEL4 charger but its quite expensive and the ability to also charge ENEL3 batteries is not really much use as we have 3 ENEL3 chargers sat in a row as it is!! Still I am sure I can find another supplier of those. 7dayshop seem to have a good price on the ENEL4 batteries at about £17 so it is only really the charger. If the 8fps works with 8 eneloops I might not bother and might just buy another 16 of those instead :)

cowasaki - I hope this turns out well for you! I just could not afford to take a chance on a 3rd party bit of kit doing any damage to my d300 -

I was very tempted though and almost bought this myself - the same model(y)

Good luck - hope they sort it fast for you!

Don`t put a non Nikon lens on then, the whole thing might blow up................:D

Well I had a reply yesterday telling me to check it which I replied to then got another reply today saying that maybe it needs to come back! They want it back for checking before they send out another one and that they are all checked before they are sent. I replied asking for details but again will have to wait till tomorrow for the reply. At least I might get it for spring.

I've been looking at these, was it the really really cheap one you bought or the not so cheap one? There are two aren't there at differing prices if they're the same as I've been looking at! :D

Hope you get it sorted, I fancy one but the Nikon one is just so Goddamn expensive :p

I've been looking at these, was it the really really cheap one you bought or the not so cheap one? There are two aren't there at differing prices if they're the same as I've been looking at! :D

Hope you get it sorted, I fancy one but the Nikon one is just so Goddamn expensive :p

No, there is only one. The various prices are for different options of inclusive batteries. I paid about £65 with 2 batteries but you can get them for about £48 with none.

Oh yeah, sorry just checked again and I see now. You can buy with or without batteries!

I hope you get sorted, I was looking and thought wow, that's a cheap price for a battery grip... Your experience and how it's sorted will not be interesting as to whether I get one or not, so thanks for highlighting this (y)

Well I've just got a returns number to send it back and they said send it regular airmail so I'll get a certificate of posting. Should cost about £5 and I'll get it sent shortly. Should take a week to get there and another back so will keep everyone updated as to what their customer service is like.

when i fitted mine yesterday also from link delight it said to fit the grip first and then fit the batteries
instructions say you may have problems otherwise
just thought to mention it as you said you fitted the batteries then fitted the grip

when i fitted mine yesterday also from link delight it said to fit the grip first and then fit the batteries
instructions say you may have problems otherwise
just thought to mention it as you said you fitted the batteries then fitted the grip

I didn't see that bit but if that is the case then when you remove it and then put it back again you are in the same position!

Well still no grip!

I have now escalated this to a dispute and claim for refund from Paypal. The problem is that Link Delight insisted that I sent it back to them using air mail with a proof of posting. In order to get a refund via paypal you need a proof of delivery so I might well have just lost the total cost.

Link Delight = Total rip off !!

Yes, thats the same prob I have with my even cheaper £28 3rd party grip on my 30D! It kept on messing up the aperture control on the top LCD. I turn the dial one way going up - 5.6, 6.3 etc, then turn it the other way to go down, and it just carries on closing the aperture! Then one day it completely died, wouldn't switch on or anything, and because we were away, I had left the original canon battery door at home, so was camera less. Mines intermittent though, sometimes its fine,sometimes not. They have said that they will send me a new one, but again once I send it back, say they'll refund postage back to china, but...:shake::(

I have now escalated this to a dispute and claim for refund from Paypal. The problem is that Link Delight insisted that I sent it back to them using air mail with a proof of posting. In order to get a refund via paypal you need a proof of delivery so I might well have just lost the total cost.

I was reading this from the beginning and was just about to put here not to send it normal airmail but make sure it is tracked otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on with Paypal but looks like I was too late.

Sorry to hear about your problems. :shake:

Sorry to hear this dude, they looked such a great bet as well.

I think I'll be looking elsewhere when grip time comes round, thanks to your reporting!

Oh i too am eatching this on ebay as i thought it might be a cheap option, there are other non nikon grips on Ebay that come from the uk, anyone tried one of these?

Oh i too am eatching this on ebay as i thought it might be a cheap option, there are other non nikon grips on Ebay that come from the uk, anyone tried one of these?
they all seem to be strange versions with car chargers and the like, and a strange shaped hand grip :/ and none of them come with a BL-3 for using D3 batteries.

Sorry to hear about what's happened cowsaki :( Sounds really lame, though it could (and I wouldn't be overly surprised if it is) the mail service's fault rather than linkdelight, not that that changes anything. There are other sellers selling exactly the same product on ebay, if this has put people off LD, I guess that returns are what shows up how good a company really is, I've bought a fair few things from LD and luckily never had any problems.

I vote that Flash in the pan or Kerso should sell Meile grips !!!!

Can we start an online petition ;)

Blimey, I got an email today saying:

"We're glad to inform you that the parcel just arrived this morning. In that case, we will check the problem and send the replacement parcel soon. The tracking number will be offered later. On your side, could you please kindly close the dispute? Your understanding and support must be highly appreciated."

Hmmm.... No, I don't think I will close the dispute till they have confirmed that the grip was faulty, sent the replacement and it is on my camera working !!!!!

was thinking of getting one

makes me question what to do now

There are faulty products from every manufacturer don't let one put you off, I have a Meike MK-D300 and it works perfectly, i've compared it with the Nikon grip and it's almost identical though the Nikon one is slightly heavier but that may have been down to me having a non oem battery in mine, the Meike even has the waterproofing in the same places

I would buy another from them..... In fact when I upgrade my D200 to a D300 I WILL buy another. Most people have been happy but IF it goes faulty I will send it back with tracking. It cost £4.50 ish airmail and £10.50 with tracking..... I followed their instructions but next time they can *&* ***. I would like to place a decent sized order as they actually sell lots of bits and pieces that look really good.

glad to hear it finally got to them cowasaki, if they are telling the truth in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised, hong kong post are pretty pants :p Hope it all gets sorted soon :)

glad to hear it finally got to them cowasaki, if they are telling the truth in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised, hong kong post are pretty pants :p Hope it all gets sorted soon :)

Fingers crossed.......

I'm not closing the dispute though, not till it arrives :rules:

Back