D300 found in the Grampians

That reminds me of a precaution many of us took back in our film days to safeguard against film being lost when away for processing.
The first expose on a roll was a shot of your name and address.
That could reunite a lost digicam with it's owner now.

On a D300 you can set all the owner information etc :)

Damnit, so THAT'S where I left it. ;)

HOLY CRAP!!!

This just sent shivers down my spine. I don't believe it.

The camera is mine, I'm the guy in the middle of the pic.

It was lost during a near-fatal accident involving me descending a mountain alone, and I dropped my whole backpack (camping gear for a few weeks).

The whole bag, camera included, fell and bounced several hundred feet into a gorge/waterfall from where, without ropes and being injured and alone, I was completely unable to retrieve it.

This was a few months ago and I have since replaced the gear.

I simply can't believe it. I'm stunned. Gobsmacked.

And I'll be over the moon to get the photos back!

HOLY CRAP!!!

This just sent shivers down my spine. I don't believe it.

The camera is mine, I'm the guy in the middle of the pic.

It was lost during a near-fatal accident involving me descending a mountain alone, and I dropped my whole backpack (camping gear for a few weeks).

The whole bag, camera included, fell and bounced several hundred feet into a gorge/waterfall from where, without ropes and being injured and alone, I was completely unable to retrieve it.

This was a few months ago and I have since replaced the gear.

I simply can't believe it. I'm stunned. Gobsmacked.

And I'll be over the moon to get the photos back!

Wow! TP comes up trumps again!

If you have replaced with an insurance job, I'd keep schtum.

The camera fell several hundred feet and landed in a rocky gorge with a river running through it, and is apparently in pieces. Also, they have only recovered the camera and lens, and there was a LOT more than that in the bag - another body, a few lenses, tripod, etc. I was the stuff bursting all over the place as it fell, and god knows where most of it is!

For your interest, here is the full story, which I emailed to the magazine.

Apparently a guy found the camera whilst out walking, and his neighbour realised it was fairly expensive and therefore had the initiative to contact a photography magazine, who started circulating the pic on the internet.

For you interest in case you want the full story, I was up in the mountains with my two friends camping for around a week. I was due to leave to start training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst a week or two later, and this was a final form of training for me.

We drove up from Newcastle, parked near Glencoe, and just walked up the mountains fully equipped to last a few days, then we were going down for food, then back up again.

Unfortunately by day 3 I was suffering from an ITBS (leg) injury and it got progressively worse until I couldn't ascend any more. We were around 25km from the car by the easiest route, but quite a bit closer if we could ascend some more.

Bearing in mind my pending military training, I decided to descend via the easiest route, with my two mates going over the next mountain to take the quick route to the car. Since their route was more dangerous it was best that they stuck together, or so we thought.

After a long and slow descent I came across as series of small cliffs - a set of stepped banks on the hillside - and took my bag off to negotiate them. In the bag was all my camping gear, plus my camera. During negotiating one of the steps the bag got out of control, I grabbed it with my ice axe but became unstable, and despite my best efforts it fell as I was trying to rectify the situation.

I watched as it bounced and tumbled a few feet, then it got faster, went higher, and before long it had burst open and the entire contents were barreling down the mountain bouncing 20-30ft in the air and disappearing from site.

Totally disheartened and left standing with one ice axe, one walking pole and the clothes on my back, I headed down the mountain and soon realised the gear had fallen into a gorge banked by rock faces and with a series of waterfalls running through it. The distant sight of my sleeping bag bobbing in a stream which I couldn't possibly climb to was the nail in the coffin - I accepted the gear was all gone.

I rendezvoused with my mates a few hours later, who ironically had descended the same route as me a bit later, having been thwarted by avalanche risk, and Andy was brave enough to jog back to the car whilst myself and Rob sat at the roadside sunbathing.

We stayed in a hostel that night and I caught the train the next morning, my two mates remained for a few more days.

I had since replaced the camera and went off to Sandhurst to do my training, and was at home on sick leave, casually browsing the internet when I came across an unmistakable photograph of the three of us in the sunshine on a snowy mountain top. It sent shivers down my spine, I couldn't believe it - the message above read 'Have you lost a D300 + Sigma 10-20?' and at that point my jaw thudded firmly on the floor boards.

I'm stunned and will be over the moon to get the pics back, as if I recall there were some memorable ones, and it makes a hell of a story.

Massive thanks to the gentleman who found the camera and had the good will to try and find it's owner, and to everybody who passed the message on including your magazine. I'm really grateful.

Love stories like that. David Hobby just tweeted this thread. Awesome.

retweet it, i want to retweet it to!

Massive thanks to the gentleman who found the camera and had the good will to try and find it's owner, and to everybody who passed the message on including your magazine. I'm really grateful.

Pleased you got your images back, scary story, which magazine was it in, or do you mean forum

Three Cheers to the guy who found it and returned it

The Magazine is in the URL on the first post. Photo Answers. :)

From that guy who hasn't got his website setup yet (y) :D

On a D300 you can set all the owner information etc :)

Looks like I skipped over that bit with my cameras, but I'll rectify matters.

Hi folks,

Well I've just talked to the chap who has the camera and pics. It sounds like it has been underwater for a while, which doesn't surprise me, and though the memory card isn't working he managed to get the pics off somehow and is sending the images and the remains of the camera and 10-20 down to me! It certainly sounds like the camera and lens are now paperweights to say the least.

Remarkable.

Here is an image of the flightpath the bag took. I was stood at the horizon on this pic at the time it was dropped, and snapped this photo on my phone about an hour later after giving up the search.

cameragorge.jpg

Yes, that gorge is every bit as steep, rocky and deadly as it looks! I walked as close to the edge of it as I dared, it looked amazing but unfortunately was impossible to climb down without ropes. I peeked over enough to see my sleeping bag bobbing around in a pool, but couldn't see anything else, so gingerly backed off, took this pic, and left. As I descended I looked for a way to follow the stream 'up' so I could search, but couldn't get near it and unless I could swim up waterfalls it obviouslly wasn't happening.

This is in a very, very remote part of Scotland. In 3 days living amongst those mountains we saw 3 people, and we covered a lot of kilometers, so I can tell you there aren't good odds of someone finding a camera which fell into a one-way gorge and reading NEF files from it and then identifying the owner despite the memory card being full of water!

This is simply amazing. I tweeted about this too today, because I lost a small black card holder with 3 FULL SD cards on a short trip to St. Simons Island, Georgia, USA, in March this year and I so wished something like this would have happened to me.

My cards were full of images I had not downloaded to my computer yet (lesson learned) including shots from a day trip out to the unique, remote and beautiful Cumberland Island. I discovered the cards lost as we were driving off the island on the way home. Turned around, went back, searched the hotel room, and left contact info. I spent a couple of days trying to contact anywhere that I could think of that it might have turned up, but was afraid in the pit of my stomach that the holder had fallen out of my camera bag onto pavement and was either picked up by somebody ("Oh, look 3 free SD cards!") or was inadvertently run over by a car. Oh well.

So glad for you to get your photos back. After all camera equipment, though expensive, can be replaced but photos and memories cannot. They represent moments in time, and life goes on.

Thank you for sharing loplyg and I am glad to here you're getting something back to accompany your story :D

And I'm sorry to hear it beeveedee :|

Hooray for happy endings! Am glad you'll be reunited with your pictures and you've now got an amazing story to go with them too :)

This is absolutely mental.

Amazing that this actually turned out to be a happy ending for a TP member.

Inspiring to say the least!

I want a picture of the damage to the camera, gotta love a bit of gore :p

cool story though ^_^

Trully amazing, one would have thought thats the last i see of that.

A happy ending to a terrible ordeal.....

Have i missed it?. was it insured?.

Back