Canon loyalty programme - Why not in UK?

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
On anothe forum that I may browse from time to time, there is often mention of the Canon Loyalty programme in the US. People getting a value towards their next Canon camera from basically part exchanging their old one.

Why don't Canon do this in UK?

There's a much higher percentage of people shooting Nikon in the US (at least in the stills market, that may be different now with all the movie companies buying up 5DMk2s like candy), so they're doing what they can to get & retain customers.

You will find this with most stuff..we in the uk/eu get shafted by crap customer support and warrenties with 90% of products compaired the the us/asia.

i spoke to a guy in the us that had his 5d mk2 dropped by airport security,he sent it to cannon, for repair and they didnt even charge him,though he said he had been a canon user for years in the loyalty program.

Best example ive found was with my laptop,an ASUS which after dropping it i decided to see if parts were about to fix it.After some searching i came across a large computer forum,with a hole section on ASUS.

it seems that anyine in the uk getting a warrentie repair or payed for repair had to send there laptop to a scottish company for the work to be undertaken.

going by the posts 80% of the computers sent for repair came back in worse state than before, with more broken parts or worse parts instaled,than when they went away.this also took weeks/months for a turn around to recieve there laptops back.

there were at people that complained or needed full replacements and had there laptops sent to holand to the main repair centre,these people waited months 3+(1 was till waiting after 6+) to get there supposed new laptop ,which inturn ended up being there origional for many people,just with new parts,again some being returned damaged/faulty.

then the other side of the story was users in the us.
they sent there laptop off or took them to repair centers and had new parts fitted for free that they should have payed for and uk customers payed for.
they were returned with in hours at centres and days when sent away
as for asia,my laptop was bought in china,on my last holiday there we went to a large computer store,with all the brands they were going to repair it out of warrentie for around £40 at the asus shop,where as i was quoted £100s here,and would have only spent slightly more getting a new one.

Last edited:
Despite much of it being little better than some third-world countries I've visited, the US does tend to score highly on their customer-support. Loyalty Programs (sic) may sound faddish, but if it means cheaper support and faster turnaround, then I'm all in favour.
Nikon's Professional User schemes were supposed to be like that, but didn't quite fulfil their promise - turnaround times were only slightly faster and there was no difference in repair-costs...
That said, I've always had good experiences with the guys at the Kingston HQ: any loan kit I've asked for has always been available (and they didn't get upset when I forgot to take it back on time, like when I had their DX 17-55mm f/2.8 for three months instead of three weeks!).

In the US, Customers are treated differently: US companies realise that the customer has a choice.
If you treat your customers like cattle, they'll drift to patures-new...

Best example ive found was with my laptop,an ASUS which after dropping it i decided to see if parts were about to fix it.After some searching i came across a large computer forum,with a hole section on ASUS.

it seems that anyine in the uk getting a warrentie repair or payed for repair had to send there laptop to a scottish company for the work to be undertaken.

going by the posts 80% of the computers sent for repair came back in worse state than before, with more broken parts or worse parts instaled,than when they went away.this also took weeks/months for a turn around to recieve there laptops back.

there were at people that complained or needed full replacements and had there laptops sent to holand to the main repair centre,these people waited months 3+(1 was till waiting after 6+) to get there supposed new laptop ,which inturn ended up being there origional for many people,just with new parts,again some being returned damaged/faulty.

then the other side of the story was users in the us.
they sent there laptop off or took them to repair centers and had new parts fitted for free that they should have payed for and uk customers payed for.
they were returned with in hours at centres and days when sent away
as for asia,my laptop was bought in china,on my last holiday there we went to a large computer store,with all the brands they were going to repair it out of warrentie for around £40 at the asus shop,where as i was quoted £100s here,and would have only spent slightly more getting a new one.

If you want excellent service here, it has to be Apple (y) (within warranty if you want it for free). The turnaround is really quick, and you can just wall in to any of their stores to get the repairs done.

I couldn't say anything similar about the major high street electrical retailer named after a cosmic object. They messed about for weeks, and mixed everything up a few times.

If you want excellent service here, it has to be Apple (y) (within warranty if you want it for free). The turnaround is really quick, and you can just wall in to any of their stores to get the repairs done.

I couldn't say anything similar about the major high street electrical retailer named after a cosmic object. They messed about for weeks, and mixed everything up a few times.

I recently had a Macbook keyboard replaced FOC in less than 30mins at Apple store Kingston. This was on iPhone 4 release weekend so the store was manic yet I still received better service than most stores when quiet! This is one major reason I will be buying Apple gear again in future.

Back