Which compact to use filters with ?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,
I'm selling my DSLR as it's just too much for me to carry up mountains anymore. I'm looking to spend around £500 on a new compact but need it to take a polarizing and NDgrad filters on occasions for landscapes. Is there only the new G12 that will take filters without vignetting ?
All the reviews seem not to mention if it's possible to fit filters to different models. Sizewise I would like to only go up to a G12 but would like to spend less if possible. Any ideas ?
Thanks, Mike.

I looked at this a year ago and was disappointed.

At the time, no compacts had a filter thread - presumably because most compacts have lenses that retract into the body. In order to prevent accidental damage if the filter is not removed, the body would need to be larger to incorporate the filter, which then bulks up the camera.

The only ones you could use a filter with were the LX3 and G10, but the filter had to attach to the adaptor ring/extension thingummy, which increased the bulk of the camera further (neither of them is particularly tiny to start with).

I think you'll have to get an LX (I assume the LX5 offers the same facility as the LX3 did) or the G12 if you want a compact-ish camera. The other option is, of course, a mirrorless microsystem camera with a "pancake" lens, but they may still be a little too large for your tastes. It's probably worth comparing the LX/G with all the paraphenalia attached to the size of, say, a Sony NEX. There may not be much in it.

Last edited:
Ok thanks :) I decided on a LX5. Having looked around the net they do an LA6 lens adaptor. The lens itself is 46mm thread and the LA6 is 52mm. Could I fit an A-series Cokin adaptor straight to the lens at 46mm, or would I still need the LA6 and then use a 52mm Cokin adaptor ? I'm confused :thinking:
:D Cheers, Mike.

mikehill
The Lx5 looks similar to the Lx3 regarding adaptor fitting.You will still need the adaptor as the thread on the camera is male & not female fitting so you cannot simply fit a cokin type adaptor ring directly to the camera body plus the lens sits proud of the body when the camera is switched on, ie inside the adaptor tube.

Toonie

Thanks guys :) Went and bought one from York Camera Mart today and, unlike other shops I could mention, the guy there knew what he was talking about :D I need an LA6 adaptor, a Cokin P WA holder and P series filter :) Just thought I'd post it in here in case anyone needs to ask the same thing ;)
Mightily impressed with the LX5 in the few hours I've had it :)
Mike.

Back