Review [review] Elemental Trinity 400W Studio Strobe Head (with photos!)

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Elemental Trinity 400W Studio Light Strobe Head @ £239 + Spring Cushioned Light Stand @ £25
Two lights just weren't cutting the mustard for my requirements so out came the wallet and along came the Trinity 400W Strobe delivered promptly once again by UPS the next day.

As before, they arrived well packaged in a tidy collection of boxes

1.jpg

Faster than a chav shoplifting in Primark, the kit was out and everything accounted for.

2.jpg

The first thing I noticed was the case quality of this light - it's sex on a stand! The casing is metal but has a soft touch to it and is sooo nice! lol

The rear display is digital and there's the usual array of options including the ability to control the modelling lamp separately from the strobe as well as full power and proportionally.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Setup the light stand, I chose the spring mounted over the air cushioned because I feel it's more than adequate for my usage - were it being used 8 hours a day in a studio then the air cushioned would be better as the risk of accident would increase.

Fired it up and it all works perfectly! I've not had a chance to test it on subjects but I can't see there being any problems.

Still getting my head around the digital power control which runs from 0.0 - 6.0 I think, with each whole number being 1 stop and each .0 being the stops inbetween. I'll update on this once I get a chance but it would seem that you have extremely accurate control over the power.

So what's it like compared to the Genesis strobes? I believe it's mostly aesthetic and the internals are pretty much of the same high quality. The back is digital, you have more control over the modelling lamp and the touch of the casing is lovely. The optical sensor is positioned slightly differently and works fine.

Size wise, it's taller than the Genesis but also narrower.

7.jpg

8.jpg

As I'm not a lighting expert I can only go by my own limited experience but I can tell that this is a nice bit of kit. There's only a £10 difference between this and the Genesis version 400W - so I went Trinity! Also, they both auto discharge when you turn the power down which is quite handy.

The important parts for me with this product and supplier are:

1: Feels top quality and so far performs flawlessly
2: Everything works first time
3: Everything is in the box first time
4: Fast delivery

So far I've been extremely happy with my Genesis lights and looking forward to running this 400W Trinity through its paces! I'll update with more once I've done some work with it!

:D

Last edited:
A quick shot using the Elemental Trinity 400W as key and 1 Elemental Genesis 250W as a hair light. Lastolite Hilite reversed as the background - I had very limited space for this one but it ended up how both the subject and I wanted it. :)

So far the kit seems to do everything it's told. But I need to get some more accessories to help with controlling light spill - had to be very creative with this shot to get around it under the circumstances! lol

4%20Months.jpg

Back