Herne Bay Pier, Kent

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I really wanted to get out and shoot the local pier today as it was a lovely day. Sadly the cloud cover above the pier was a little flatter and less interesting than I would have liked, but I am very happy with my two most recent purchases - a Giottos M9361B tripod and Manfrotto 322RC2 joystick head. Much heavier than my previous tripod but very solid and opens up lots of creative possibilities that were not previously possible.

Here are the day's efforts:

Herne Bay Pier 1 by morganthecat, on Flickr

Herne Bay Pier 2 by morganthecat, on Flickr

Herne Bay Pier 3 by morganthecat, on Flickr

Herne Bay Pier 4 by morganthecat, on Flickr

I guess proof that on a nice day with the sun out, anything can look attractive.

In each of the shots you can see in the distance to the left of the Pier Pavilion, the old deep-sea pier head where the steamboats would land. The dilapidated pier head is over a kilometre out to sea. The ugly 70s designed and constructed Pier Pavilion was opened on 5 September 1976 by Ted Heath and is known locally as The Cowshed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. It makes me realise that the next lens I buy is going to be an UWA. I am also learning to be a bit more subtle in my use of HDR to balance some nice detail in the skies with a more natural foreground.

All pretty similar but #4 seems best

Agreed.

I think you'd maybe have done better by getting a little closer and not tilting the camera up to bring more of the foreground rocks into play.

I reckon you should sort out the listing to one side. Sorry, it's one of my peccadilloes.

Did you add the vignetting in PP? It doesn't do much for me.

Back