No
It's official.

Zero retouching. Just a tiny S curve in PS and a few dust specks

5815410656_f8c9386bce_z.jpg

:D

edit - Second shot added, because I can dammit

5815558030_c929f851c2_z.jpg

Last edited:
Superb image. really good varied tones... such a shame about that blade of grass on the left eye. However great shot all the same (y)

Camera? lens? film? enquiring minds wanna know

Brilliant image, really nice exposure and the framing is really good had it been digital I may have cropped

Thanks for the comments so far everyone :)

Mamiya RZ67, 180mm f4.5 lens

1/100 f8 (I think...cant find my bloody note pad sorry :ashamed: )

Fuji Acros 100

It's only the second film roll I've ever shot, with tmax 400 being the first.

Am prefering the Acros 100 so far, 3rd scan in and I'm seriously drooling!

Had that MF kinda look to it.... nice set up.

I would have bet my EOS-3 on it being Acros 100 - lovely lovely film, smooth as a freshly greased otter!

Picture's not bad either ;)

Had that MF kinda look to it.... nice set up.

I know what you mean. The lenses and large negative just give a fantastic sense of dimension, and the qualities of the film are unreal.

Never knew I'd like film this much...my D200 is rapidly just becoming an exposure meter...lol

superb, I have absolutely no experience with film but I have recently been working on b+w portraits using digital and I think I am starting to understand the subtleties of film that I just cannot seem to re-create with a cropped digital sensor. I am never sure if my eyes are fooling me and there isn't much difference between film and digital but these two shots just seem more 'natural' than I can reproduce.

great stuff!

I thought the D200 WAS an exposure meter... hahahaha.

MF gives a glorious depth and detail to photography, even my 645D (actually a cropped MF format) produces amazing results but nowhere close to film yet. Might have to buy myself a 645 film body....

I thought the D200 WAS an exposure meter... hahahaha.

MF gives a glorious depth and detail to photography, even my 645D (actually a cropped MF format) produces amazing results but nowhere close to film yet. Might have to buy myself a 645 film body....

Yeah all day long...basically it's a digital polaroid/meter lol

mmm......645D (y) Having fun with it I hope!

The depth and detail of a 6x7 negative and up really is something special. I really want the GX680 Fuji but it was a bit expensive for my first film camera...so maybe when I get my next one :) tilt and shift on every lens...sweeeeet

superb, I have absolutely no experience with film but I have recently been working on b+w portraits using digital and I think I am starting to understand the subtleties of film that I just cannot seem to re-create with a cropped digital sensor. I am never sure if my eyes are fooling me and there isn't much difference between film and digital but these two shots just seem more 'natural' than I can reproduce.

great stuff!

Theres alot to be said for sensor/negative size, I couldn't give a toss about ISO to be honest, the advantage is in the tones and the dynamic range, it's really incredible.

Oh yeah and I can make HUUUUUUUGE files with a scanned 6x7 negative :D

I really do see myself movely mostly onto film:geek:

Dude we share the same birthday. LOL.

Fuji is a loverly camera. Im heading into town today there is an antiques market and a used camera stall, he always has interesting bits for sale.

Both great shots Danny. Lovely stuff. Great exposure and scanning. What did you use to meter?

Acros 100 - lovely lovely film, smooth as a freshly greased otter!

LOL, mind if I use that in my sig? ;)

feel free - though you may need a disclaimer to appease the Animentalists...

perhaps "Note: no Mustelidae were lubricated in the formation of this signature" :LOL:

Sweet! And you're in Herts! I'm in Herts now, Sawbridgeworth. :)

I suppose we best sort out a shoot then, let me know when you have some spare time, I am just the other side of Stevenage.

What did you use to scan the neg, I can see me pulling the old 645 from teh drawer at this rate. Nice shots, detail and tone are lovely. Looks like the difference between 1.6 and FF :)

Matt

Nice portraits Danny.

HMMM! Going to have to get going with the P67 again.

Just bl**dy stop it, I can't afford to buy anything at the moment but I reeeaalllyyy want a Mamiya.....

Anyway back to the images, very, very nice indeed.

Andy

What did you use to scan the neg, I can see me pulling the old 645 from teh drawer at this rate. Nice shots, detail and tone are lovely. Looks like the difference between 1.6 and FF :)

Matt

An Epson V500 mate. Get it out why on earth is it in a draw!!! lol.

Nice portraits Danny.

HMMM! Going to have to get going with the P67 again.

Thank you very much...do it (y)

Just bl**dy stop it, I can't afford to buy anything at the moment but I reeeaalllyyy want a Mamiya.....

Anyway back to the images, very, very nice indeed.

Andy

I refuse to! Buy one! :D

Thanks for your kind comment

I suppose we best sort out a shoot then, let me know when you have some spare time, I am just the other side of Stevenage.

Only just spotted this dude, sorry I wasn't ignoring you lol

Definately let's do it :)

Thanks guys :)

I have a fashion shoot at a Manor house in a couple of weeks, which will be my first test of colour film...I'll post up the results if I remember (y)

Danny

we'll remind you, don't worry (y)

:cool:

Love working with film I really do, but I really REALLY want to learn more about the developing side of things. I'm accumulating the stuff I need at the moment to start home developing black and white stuff, and I can follow instruction/youtube videos, but I really want a better understanding of the process and chemistry behind it.

Its a pain that none of my friends/family are into photography/film...:thumbsdown:

:cool:

Love working with film I really do, but I really REALLY want to learn more about the developing side of things. I'm accumulating the stuff I need at the moment to start home developing black and white stuff, and I can follow instruction/youtube videos, but I really want a better understanding of the process and chemistry behind it.

Its a pain that none of my friends/family are into photography/film...:thumbsdown:

I saw a few books in charity shops recently that were devoted to film based developing etc, looks like some people are clearing their attics now they've gone digital. Must admit I got rid of my enlarger etc but I've kept my film developing kit, just in case.

The chemistry etc is actually very simple, the light turns the silver in the emulsion on the film black, but its unstable, so any more light e.g. if you pulled the film out of the casette the light would turn the remaing unexposed silver black. So whip the film out in a adrk room/bag and then go to work on it with the chemicals.
They combine with the exposed silver and form a stable compound once developed, fixed and washed etc.

Certain developers were produced to generate fine grain, some good edge definition (so pictures look sharper - actuance I think its called, hence trade names like acutol etc), some were created to develop fast films without excesive grain, all sorts of developers for all sorts of reasons/needs.
Of course you could underexpose the film then 'cook' it longer in the developer (creates a bit more grain) but it allowed photographers to push their films (hence the name push developing, also you could 'pull' a film i.e. deliberately overexpose because you didnt have a slow enough film.
(I think I got the over/under expose correct, it's been a while!!)
You could only over or under expose a whole roll, that is until colour technology was used in B&W film (Ilford XP1, which effectively had no Iso rating and you could change mid-roll if you wanted to) which used C41 chemicals and had great exposure lattitude.
Colour negative film is/was much less forgiving though, but still has a good exposure lattitude, however it couldnt be up/down rated i.e. used at a different Iso than its stated one (if memory serves me correctly), I think the colour mask on colour negatives messed this 'facility' up.
Colour Slide film which was based on B&W technology (as is digital) can be pushed or pulled and development times/temps adjusted accordingly. However slide film has poor lattitude and high contrast, so messing with development times/temps could be variable, although I used to push Kodak Ecktachrome (sp?) iso 200 to either 400 or 800 (1 or 2 stops) in the 70/80's quite succesfully.

Brings back some memories :)

HTH
Matt

Thanks for the contribution Matt :)

I've constantly got my eye out for books and other references but so far I'm not doing too good. I'm the kind of person that likes to understand reasoning and such quite intimately, I don't just want to shoot and develop whilst not knowing/caring about the hows and whys

Cant guarantee I'll get to the shop this weekend, might get there later today, if I see anything I'll ask if they will put it to one side and I'll let you know what they have, then if you want it I can get it over to you if you're interested. Postage cant be a fortune for a book can it?
I think they had either the 35mm camera book or the Drakroom book, only glanced as I already have both.
(and no you cant have them either :) )

Matt

That would be awesome Matt thanks mate :)

Are you familiar with any books off of amazon or similar that would be worth me getting?

Actually I'll start a thread in the film section, head over there :)

That would be awesome Matt thanks mate :)

Are you familiar with any books off of amazon or similar that would be worth me getting?

Actually I'll start a thread in the film section, head over there :)

Damn, they were all gone, sorry.
I'll keep my eye open for you though.
Best of luck.
Matt

Back