hitech 10x pro

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
due to there being a shortage of lee filters and with ebay having very over inflated prices , i decided to get the new hitech 10x pro
having read the reviews it sounded ok.
anyway its here. ive used it once and had a play today, did notice a bit of a magenta cast, but thats not what really concerned me. what bothered me was the gap when in the lee holder
this was as a gasket around it to stop light leakage, but the filter appears to be a bit short in the lee holder as this photo shows
if i get it perfect at the top or bottom ie:nothing showing through, then its out at the other end, and as a largish gap. if i position it central there is a small gap top and bottom, anyone else noticed this. its as though they made the filter a bit smaller than it should be

nd_10x.jpg

There's a gap yes, but those gaps don't translate into a visible light leakage on an image.

Well, personally I think the filter should be much taller. What if you want to move the gradient up or down if it happens to be in the wrong place?? I use the Cokin Pro filters which are much larger for lenses with a larger filter size.. Ie 82mm 16-35 Canon lens...

What if you want to move the gradient up or down if it happens to be in the wrong place??

What have grads go to do with the 10 stop filter? If the grads are in the wrong place, more them up or down, you don't need to touch the 10 stop

Last edited:
redddraggon said:
What have grads go to do with the 10 stop filter? If the grads are in the same place, more them up or down, you don't need to touch the 10 stop

Apologies, I didn't realize this was a complete light stopper, but couldn't imagine taking photos through a welding mask anyway. How can you focus through this filter, I expect you will have some issues there...

Apologies, I didn't realize this was a complete light stopper, but couldn't imagine taking photos through a welding mask anyway. How can you focus through this filter, I expect you will have some issues there...

You take it off to focus and meter, put the filter back on, replace the filter, and apply the exposure correction in manual mode. The Filters are quite to remove and replace due to the holders being a sort of quick release design - you don't need to touch the filters in the holder to take the holder off.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was thinking of getting one to go with my Lee kit (when it arrives).

I understand they do a version with a thicker gasket for Lee filter holders, so I'd have assumed the filters were sized to fit too.

the 1.5mm is for lee holder
the 3mm is for the hitech holder

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was thinking of getting one to go with my Lee kit (when it arrives).

I understand they do a version with a thicker gasket for Lee filter holders, so I'd have assumed the filters were sized to fit too.

The thinner gasket is for the Lee holder! My 1.5mm for the Lee holder is a slightly tight fit, a 3mm (for the Hitech holder) gasket will be a really tight fit!

Ooops. I'll be double sure to check before I order rather than relying on my memory.

due to there being a shortage of lee filters and with ebay having very over inflated prices , i decided to get the new hitech 10x pro
having read the reviews it sounded ok.
anyway its here. ive used it once and had a play today, did notice a bit of a magenta cast, but thats not what really concerned me. what bothered me was the gap when in the lee holder
this was as a gasket around it to stop light leakage, but the filter appears to be a bit short in the lee holder as this photo shows
if i get it perfect at the top or bottom ie:nothing showing through, then its out at the other end, and as a largish gap. if i position it central there is a small gap top and bottom, anyone else noticed this. its as though they made the filter a bit smaller than it should be

nd_10x.jpg

I've just been playing with my 10 stoppers, and the reason why you getting issues with the "gaps" is that you are looking at just the filter and the holder, once you put the adapter ring on you have no gaps. I'll post some pictures up later, I'm just going out now to see what the casts are like with the Big Stopper.

Back