SB700 vs Di866 vs 58 AF-1

In my opinion the Nissin is aimed closer to the SB900 than the SB700 and is a very capable speedlight. I have only used the Nissin and a SB800 so can't compare vs the Metz.

Thanks for your input. Any compatibility issues with Nissin?

As a Canon owner, if I was in the market for an ETTL flash I'd be very tempted by the Nissin DI866 II at around half the price of a 580EX II, but I would make sure it was the Mark II version with metal foot and only purchase from a UK supplier with solid support/warranty available.

It won't help you out for the weekend, but the YongNuo YN-565 ETTL flash has just hit the retail supply chain on eBay, but currently only in Canon fit. I mention it just in case it's of interest to anyone else looking in on the thread.

p.s. I'm sure you've found it, but in case not, here's a link to a review of the DI866, and other flashes from this page - http://speedlights.net/2011/03/10/nissin-di-866-flash-review/.

Last edited:
Di866 mkII?

I'm curious how well it can perform in wireless mode with CLS flashes.

So we have SB700 - not the most powerful unit, but working perfectly with CLS and will always be fully compatible with my cameras.
Nissin Di866 mkII - great value for money, POWERFUL, but having problems working with CLS
Metz 58 AF-1 - yesterday didn't really count in this race, but I have found a reliable seller with VERY good price for it, so it's now back in the game.

I will go to Digital Depot on Thursday to play with them all, but if you have any suggestions - fire away.

It's now between: weaker but compatible vs powerful but with problems.

SB900 or even SB800... Any places worth looking at before hitting the eBay jungle?

Hi Dave

Any problems with overheating?
Do you find it powerful enough?

Overheating...First I've heard of it.
I never used it a stretch long enough to really find out.

Power...Powerful enough for me, but then again power is not really an issue with my sort of stuff, macro, close up, bit of portraiture.

I found It to be an excellent, well made, easy to use unit, part of the integrated NIkon's CLS.

If it's power you want, then it has to be the SB900.

D in W

...so I went and bought Nissin Di866 mkII from Digital Depot.
I had a chance to test it at Stuart's shop and I like it a lot.
New menu, POWER, really well made. Time to play with my new toy :D
I will update you all in few days :)

Overheating...First I've heard of it.
I never used it a stretch long enough to really find out.

Power...Powerful enough for me, but then again power is not really an issue with my sort of stuff, macro, close up, bit of portraiture.

I found It to be an excellent, well made, easy to use unit, part of the integrated NIkon's CLS.

If it's power you want, then it has to be the SB900.

D in W

I've had the SB-700 and currently have a SB-900 and have to say the build quality and menu system is like no other, an absolute joy to use. And i did use it quite a bit. No problems at all with overheating, however there are known overheating issues with the SB-900 and have had it overheat on me.

I've had the SB-700 and currently have a SB-900 and have to say the build quality and menu system is like no other, an absolute joy to use. And i did use it quite a bit. No problems at all with overheating, however there are known overheating issues with the SB-900 and have had it overheat on me.

The SB900 doesn't overheat, what happens is that some have temperature sensors that are a little bit overly sensitive, meaning that the overheat protection cuts in early....

The SB900 doesn't overheat, what happens is that some have temperature sensors that are a little bit overly sensitive, meaning that the overheat protection cuts in early....

I take it you switch the warning bleep off and carry on shooting? atlesast thats what I have had to do a few times but wasn't sure if i was going to cause it any harm..

I take it you switch the warning bleep off and carry on shooting? atlesast thats what I have had to do a few times but wasn't sure if i was going to cause it any harm..

Well, if it had been an SB-800 (or any other Nikon or Canon or Nissin flash) without an overheat sensor you'd have carried on shooting anyway, so.....:shrug:

...so I went and bought Nissin Di866 mkII from Digital Depot.
I had a chance to test it at Stuart's shop and I like it a lot.
New menu, POWER, really well made. Time to play with my new toy :D
I will update you all in few days :)

Look forward to hearing your updates with the Nikon body, I have a mate asking me about compatibility for his camera. (y)

Look forward to hearing your updates with the Nikon body, I have a mate asking me about compatibility for his camera. (y)

I have tested it with D3 and D7000 in TTL and all the other modes. Works great!
CLS (both master and slave) is also OK! No misfires if the flashes could see one another.
The concept of easy menu is also great. Everything you need 2-3 clicks away.
One downside (but not really): very quiet hissing and crackling noise. Not loud enough to be heard by model/customer so it's not that bad.
The true test will come tomorrow: Indian engagement ceremony.

Will let you know how it went :)

OK, VERY quick review of Di866

This flash unit is GREAT

TTL is spot on, wireless with CLS accurate, works great with PT-04 set too...and it lasts long on rechargeable batteries.
So far I had no problems with it, superb alternative to SB 900!!

No problems whatsoever. Works fine!!
I even got used to hissing sound :)
Apart from that, perfect!

does this flash identify DX format??
How do you use it, mailny on body??
Is it repeatable?

What information can you see on the main flash screen when you use it?

can you sent some samples?

I've been using it on both D3 and D7000, so yeah, it does.
I use it on camera (TTL) and off camera (manual and Wireless TTL).
If you mean multi-flash, yes, It has this feature.

When you use it in TTL, it shows zoom range and exposure compensation (plenty of photos on Google, have a look).

What kind of samples you are interested in?

What kind of problems? Is it supposed to work with CLS?

Yeah it works with CLS (Master or Slave). I can trigger it from D7000 using pop-up flash. Works OK indoors, but is having problems when shooting outside in bright daylight.

So in master it has Master mode REMOTE STR... is that programmable (Hz, etc.) like, say, the SB900? And same number of channels? That's interesting because I wasn't aware the Nikon CLS protocols were open like that.

Last edited:
So in master it has Master mode REMOTE STR... is that programmable (Hz, etc.) like, say, the SB900? And same number of channels? That's interesting because I wasn't aware the Nikon CLS protocols were open like that.

Di866ii-04.jpg
en02.jpg

I was surprised too :) I was almost buying SB900...

SB700 - less power, more expensive, slightly better made, no hissing sound.
Nissin - flame thrower :), great value for money, well made, hissing and crackling sounds every now and then. I actually prefer Nissin menu system - very easy and intuitive

So far I'm extremely happy with it - I was choosing between SB700, SB900, Metz 58 AF-1 and Nissin. I have tested all of them in the shop and I'm happy with my choice.

sorry for bother to you again
one more question

Do you hear any annoying noises from the screen of the flash??
I am thinking about the screen not a zoom sound.
I red somewere that the screen makes an annoing noise when is turn on.

sorry for bother to you again
one more question

Do you hear any annoying noises from the screen of the flash??
I am thinking about the screen not a zoom sound.
I red somewere that the screen makes an annoing noise when is turn on.

Yes, the noise I was referring to in my previous post is related to the problem you are describing. It's not loud, you can barely hear it. Not annoying for me.

Back