F1/GP2/Porsche Cup Spa 2011

Edit My Images
Yes
I had a bit of a nightmare to say the least. Looking back at some of the settings used on shots I don't know what the hell I was thinking. :nuts: I seemed to lose it and I think I was trying to "grab" too many shots rather than think about what I was shooting. :bang:

Any hits or tips appreciated but I think the biggest will be - stop, breathe and think about the shot.

Was using a 1DMK2 with hired 70-200 f2.8 IS II.

I really did struggle with getting a focus lock as well. I set the camera to use a single AF point but seems I just could not paint the target with it. Found it very difficult to hold steady.

I've since realised there are a few custom functions on the 1D that may have helped a bit. AI Servo speed and the ability to expand the single AF point to either side of the point.

Anyway! A few shots... Unfortunately no F1 as it was near impossible to take from the grandstand or find a free vantage point during the race.

6101586632_88893a5a0b.jpg

6101587180_763387f3b9.jpg

6101041757_a8a7f51a56.jpg

6101047549_4c329d271b.jpg

#5 - Nothing special just wanted to record the fans sitting in the woods
6101591508_51033e6c82.jpg

#6 Walking under the track at Eau Rouge
6101047167_d31c840fc2.jpg

Despite your nightmare i really like these.

#1 is my favorite just for the amazing sence of scale and i've never seen that angel before.

Well, its not a horrific result Michael - you've taken what you have and made something of it for sure.

I've probably written a dozen times on here that when you go to F1 you can't expect to get the same shots as you see in the magazines from behind the fence... its just not possible. Usually I encourage people to do exactly what you've done and try to capture some of the atmosphere... and you've done just that, well done!! (y)

Thanks. I'll post up some of the disasters to understand what wrong but in my head I already know. None the less would be really useful for additional view points.

Really struggled with focus lock and that is something I'll be looking for advice on though I may have answered it myself with one of the Cfn on the 1D. Or at least it might help - no doubt I need practice, practice to work on my technique. Everything was a blurr - and funnily enough thats how most of the photos came out too!! ;)

I am sure some 1D MkII'er will help you with some settings.... c'mon you lot!

As for the others, post away and I am sure people will give you some pointers - I will anyway!

Liking #1 very much. Would like to see bigger.

I think if going to F1 you want to try and catch some scenery, furniture, fans etc - capture the "event". How did you finding access/viewing from public areas? We are thinking of going next year - never been before.

What settings were you actually using? Usually "TV" mode with single AF point (centre or wherever you are framing (I often use bottom or side)) should be fine to get a few decent shots. If you were finding it hard to keep steady and AF on subject them maybe try a monopod? If things were blurry due to shake then up the shutter speed. Handheld at 1/400 should be no problem - unless really windy.

I don't have a 1D body *envy* haha but probably quite similar to my 7D. Hope you had a great time *more envy" :LOL:(y)

Like the idea of the first shot but wished there was a little more detail in the sky but you can't change the weather :D, would have also like a little more track at the bottom for the cars to move into. The walk way under the track looks very good too.

(y)

Thanks. #1 is my favourite too and I have to admit I'd like to have seen more of the track at the bottom but I was exceptionally limited by where I could stand at the time. Its a crop because right below is the top of a fence and a security guards head.

Walk way I quite look too because of the lone woman in the middle walking against the crowd.

Looking at them again I guess I should be some what pleased as I've not touched an SLR for 20 years at that was only for a year or so at college. A pro body at an F1 event was asking a lot.

I will get some time to post the bad shots tonight! Promise.

Last edited:
Back