all's well that ends well!

Name
Meo
Edit My Images
No
I fried by 5Dc dead just before Christmas by changing the lens while the camera was on with an auto extension tube attached! :bang:

Called Lehmans and there was no point in sending it in until after the new year, so i got hunting to see what was wrong. looks like a few people have managed to kill their 5Dc's in a similar way! Turns out that there's a surface mounted fuse that blows easily, when this happens canon replace the whole board at quite a cost.

Me being so tight i managed to find a DIY solution to my problem all thanks to this guy... http://www.dforum.net/showthread.php?t=507874
I downloaded a 5dc parts catalog from here http://www.strappe.com/pics/manuals/photography/EOS_5D_Parts_Catalog.pdf that helps strip it down. Spent an afternoon fiddling and managed to do the same thing as the solution provider.

All in all i'm happy as a pig in muck as my 5Dc now is up and running at a cost of a fuse and fuse holder! :D

Thought i'd share my good fortune lol :D

M.

tags: 5Dc dead won't start switch on broken

Always a nice feeling! I remember back in the 80's, when I worked on BMW's, we used to have problems with ECU's (control units) failing.
BMW used to charge something like £500 for a replacement. Exchange unit too. I decided to have a look inside one. A small glass fuse had blown. It cost pence to replace.
We started repairing units from that day forward. :D

Kev.

I fried by 5Dc dead just before Christmas by changing the lens while the camera was on with an auto extension tube attached! :bang:
:eek: Are other Canons prone to this? I never give a second thought to changing lens with the camera turned on.

Always a nice feeling! I remember back in the 80's, when I worked on BMW's, we used to have problems with ECU's (control units) failing.
BMW used to charge something like £500 for a replacement. Exchange unit too. I decided to have a look inside one. A small glass fuse had blown. It cost pence to replace.
We started repairing units from that day forward. :D

Kev.

Hopefully passing some of the saving on to the customer :LOL:

I used to be in the motor trade, and we'd do something similar but charge the same amount (or thereabouts) ;)

I'm no longer a dodgy geezer though, honest.

i think it says in the manual that it's recommend that you turn the camera off when changing lenses.

i think it also says you should turn off the camera and flash gun when attaching it to the hotshoe.

i'll be honest, i've done both with the camera turn on but i guess it only takes the one time.

[S1][/S1]
Just seconding his query about if we're putting our cameras at risk by not turning them off while changing lenses.

I guess there may well be, if the configuration of the pins on the mount are slightly larger then there is a chance that something may short out.

This was actually the first time i changed the lens without turning the camera off as far as i can remember! sods law...

If there's a recommendation in the manual to turn it off then i guess its for good reason lol

M.

Turn off before changing your lens to minimise dust infiltration too. Mind you the risk of frying a fuse should be a BIGGER incentive!!

Andy

:plus1: Def recommended to switch off before swapping lenses...

I fried by 5Dc dead just before Christmas .......... Spent an afternoon fiddling and managed to do the same thing as the solution provider.

All in all i'm happy as a pig in muck as my 5Dc now is up and running at a cost of a fuse and fuse holder! :D

Thought i'd share my good fortune lol :D

Thats excellent news and I bet it made your Christmas even better (y)

i think it says in the manual that it's recommend that you turn the camera off when changing lenses.
Maybe things have changed on more recent models. I checked the 60D manual, and it doesn't say to turn off the power when changing lenses. But it says to turn off when removing the memory card or attaching an external power supply.

When manually cleaning the sensor it warns NOT to turn the power off.

for the years i have been into photography i rarely switch off before changing lenses. however, with 2 bodies i do that less and less now. Still scary though, might have to change my old ways.

I have read/been told always have power off for changing lens (both attracting dust to the sensor and for the lens problem the OP suffered) anything on the hotshoe and also when removing memory cards and batterys.

As someone who has done a bit of electronics I religiously turn my camera off before changing lenses or flashes. At least one of the contacts must be power for the focus motor on a lot of lenses.

As for cards, on most cameras, opening the card door turns the power off but it is not a bad idea to do it anyway.

I've never thought much to turning the camera off whilst changing lens, but if I've seen this and noticed that if I do it's not that bad, then I'm still gonna be lacadazical about it probably! My 500D auto-shuts off anyway :wacky:

Most amateur post I've ever written..

As far as I can make out the on/off button doesn't kill power to all parts (including the lens), only the switches and screen. There remains voltage to various parts of the camera at all time and according to Canon engineers there is no real necessity to turn off to change lenses, it's just safer in case anything gets inside the camera while its on.

I have never turned either of my 5DCs, my 1D2, my D3, my D40 or my NEX off to change the lens.

I have of course changed lenses plenty whilst the camera has been off, ie pick it up out the bag/off the shelf and change lens before I turn it on but never switched power off just to change a lens.

Back